Ticketing enquiry
Graeme Wall
2023-12-10 14:44:17 UTC
I need to travel from Guildford to Chesham (and back) sometime in the
near future, a 1 day travelcard will only get me to Zone 6 (Moor Park).
Is it possible to get an extension before I travel or do I have to bail
at Moor Park and re-enter the system in both directions?
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-10 15:18:37 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
I need to travel from Guildford to Chesham (and back) sometime in the
near future, a 1 day travelcard will only get me to Zone 6 (Moor Park).
Is it possible to get an extension before I travel or do I have to bail
at Moor Park and re-enter the system in both directions?
I believe you can buy a zonal extension ticket from a TfL TVM:

https://www.london.gov.uk/who-we-are/what-london-assembly-does/questions-mayor/find-an-answer/tube-extension-tickets
Graeme Wall
2023-12-10 15:40:56 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
I need to travel from Guildford to Chesham (and back) sometime in the
near future, a 1 day travelcard will only get me to Zone 6 (Moor Park).
Is it possible to get an extension before I travel or do I have to bail
at Moor Park and re-enter the system in both directions?
https://www.london.gov.uk/who-we-are/what-london-assembly-does/questions-mayor/find-an-answer/tube-extension-tickets
That doesn't seem to cover my case, but thanks for the link.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-10 16:30:16 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
I need to travel from Guildford to Chesham (and back) sometime in the
near future, a 1 day travelcard will only get me to Zone 6 (Moor Park).
Is it possible to get an extension before I travel or do I have to bail
at Moor Park and re-enter the system in both directions?
https://www.london.gov.uk/who-we-are/what-london-assembly-does/questions-mayor/find-an-answer/tube-extension-tickets
That doesn't seem to cover my case, but thanks for the link.
I thought it did: "For customers still using paper Travelcard tickets, LU
offers a simple, zonal extension ticket valid for two hours from the time
of issue. This is a fraud prevention measure."

So just buy one of those at a TfL TVM before commencing the journey to
Chesham. On the way back, just buy a paper single ticket from Chesham to
Moor Park.
Graeme Wall
2023-12-11 08:22:52 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
I need to travel from Guildford to Chesham (and back) sometime in the
near future, a 1 day travelcard will only get me to Zone 6 (Moor Park).
Is it possible to get an extension before I travel or do I have to bail
at Moor Park and re-enter the system in both directions?
https://www.london.gov.uk/who-we-are/what-london-assembly-does/questions-mayor/find-an-answer/tube-extension-tickets
That doesn't seem to cover my case, but thanks for the link.
I thought it did: "For customers still using paper Travelcard tickets, LU
offers a simple, zonal extension ticket valid for two hours from the time
of issue. This is a fraud prevention measure."
So just buy one of those at a TfL TVM before commencing the journey to
Chesham. On the way back, just buy a paper single ticket from Chesham to
Moor Park.
Can't find any recent information as to whether such extension tickets
still exist, the link is to a 2005 Q&A.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Roland Perry
2023-12-11 10:22:17 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
[...]
I have an idea they were scrapped because the scheme was so complicated
no-one understood it (or bought them). But recliner must know, as a
travel expert actually living in London - perhaps he could pop out to
his nearest station and check.

On the other hand, I'll be at a TfL station later today and if I
remember I'll check.

ps <https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/travelcard_extension_fares_2>
might help, but the site is broken at the moment.
Roland Perry
Recliner
2023-12-11 10:40:44 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
[...]
It's not something I ever need to do personally, so I've never had reason
to search for such tickets. But I'll try to remember to look.
Roland Perry
2023-12-13 09:49:31 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
"For customers still using paper Travelcard tickets, LU offers a
simple, zonal extension ticket valid for two hours from the time of
issue. This is a fraud prevention measure."
So just buy one of those at a TfL TVM before commencing the journey
to Chesham. On the way back, just buy a paper single ticket from
Chesham to Moor Park.
Can't find any recent information as to whether such extension tickets
still exist, the link is to a 2005 Q&A.
I have an idea they were scrapped because the scheme was so complicated
no-one understood it (or bought them).
Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.

However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.

And they shroud this in smoke and mirrors of "fraud protection" because
someone could buy such an extension, touch in Central London, be
touched-out automatically, then travel to an unmanned unbarried station
hundreds of miles away. But they don't want to give people ideas!!

The paper extension ticket probably has the same 2hr limit just because
of one-size-fits-all-ism.
Roland Perry
John Levine
2023-12-13 21:18:00 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.
However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.
When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
you will be using? Not having done this, do you have to tap your
card when you buy the extension?
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Graeme Wall
2023-12-13 22:10:06 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by Roland Perry
Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.
However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.
When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
you will be using? Not having done this, do you have to tap your
card when you buy the extension?
Unfortunately for this thread I'm not going to bother trying the
experiment to find out. But I must confess it's something I hadn't
thought of!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-13 22:23:26 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by Roland Perry
Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.
However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.
When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
you will be using? Not having done this, do you have to tap your
card when you buy the extension?
Yes, I think you need to tap the Oyster card on the TVM yellow pad.
Obviously there's no such requirement for paper travelcards.

I checked a TVM today and was surprised that there are only two zonal
extensions available, for three and five zones. Both are the same price, at
least at the off-peak time I checked.
Roland Perry
2023-12-14 07:22:30 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by John Levine
Post by Roland Perry
[...]
They've been reducing the number of different tickets steadily over the
years. eg Travelcards used to have numerous zonal ranges available (at
different prices).
Post by Recliner
Both are the same price, at least at the off-peak time I checked.
Yes, and that's a bit of a puzzle. Presumably they are price-gouging the
users of three-zone extensions by making it the same as the five zone.
Roland Perry
Roland Perry
2023-12-14 07:19:20 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by Roland Perry
Having had my memory jogged by the discussion, I think this was what
happened: they introduced the extension tickets for Oyster, but said
they had to be purchased at the time as travel, which many people found
both logistically difficult and making-no-sense.
However, being an Oyster add-on, the 2hr time limit must presumably be
that when purchasing it the Oyster back-office is told to do an
automatic touch-out because no-one is going to get out at (eg) Moor Park
and touch-out manually, then get back on the train.
When you buy the extension ticket, how do they know what Oyster card
you will be using?
Because...
Post by John Levine
Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
extension?
...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.

Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
Extension.
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2023-12-14 08:12:35 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
extension?
...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.
Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
Extension.
Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
consideration.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-14 11:26:46 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
extension?
...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.
Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
Extension.
Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
consideration.
Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
But it's at a stiff price.
Graeme Wall
2023-12-14 16:33:31 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
extension?
...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.
Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
Extension.
Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
consideration.
Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
But it's at a stiff price.
How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have.
Back to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-14 17:57:04 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
extension?
...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.
Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
Extension.
Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
consideration.
Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
But it's at a stiff price.
How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have.
Back to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.
You touch a different button for a zonal extension for a paper Travelcard.
But as Roland quoted, it's more expensive than either the Moor Park option,
or just doing the whole journey on contactless.
Graeme Wall
2023-12-14 21:44:01 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
extension?
...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.
Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
Extension.
Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
consideration.
Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
But it's at a stiff price.
How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have.
Back to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.
You touch a different button for a zonal extension for a paper Travelcard.
But as Roland quoted, it's more expensive than either the Moor Park option,
or just doing the whole journey on contactless.
The last is what I will be doing. Though, if I remember I will look out
for those options. Trouble is I haven't used a TfL ticket machine for
many years.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-14 21:55:57 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
[...]
As Roland reported, it's a prominent menu option from the main screen
(bottom right). You then get offered extensions to Oyster or paper
Travelcards. Couldn't be easier, but certainly could be cheaper.
Graeme Wall
2023-12-15 19:55:22 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
[...]
Having done the trip today, I went with the day return to Waterloo then
contactless from Waterloo to Chesham and back. I did think of checking
out the TfL ticket machines at Waterloo but they were swamped by,
presumably, tourists, trying to work out what they needed to do.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-15 22:01:01 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
[...]
Yes, I think you picked the best option.

Did you spot the Chesham water tank?
Graeme Wall
2023-12-16 08:26:15 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
[...]
On the right of the track as you arrive? Didn't get the opportunity to
get a good look at it as the station was full of kids breaking up from
school and I had a funeral to get to. By the time I got back it was dark.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-16 12:13:33 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
[...]
No, it's on the platform, at the end of the station building. It's one of
the reasons the station is listed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1401704?section=comments-and-photos
D A Stocks
2023-12-14 18:50:57 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
extension?
...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.
Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
Extension.
Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
consideration.
Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
But it's at a stiff price.
How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have. Back
to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.
In National Rail land you just got the extension as another paper ticket. I
used them every now and then when I had a Gold Travelcard season.

For this use case I would probably go to the ticket office (I assume
Guildford still has one?) and tell them what you're trying to do; you might
get a pleasant surprise.

DAS
Graeme Wall
2023-12-14 21:44:57 UTC
Post by D A Stocks
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
[...]
Guildford still has a ticket office so I might try that.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Roland Perry
2023-12-15 06:29:00 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
extension?
...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.
Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
Extension.
Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
consideration.
Yes, for one journey only, your Travelcard has the extra zones included.
But it's at a stiff price.
How does it work with a paper travelcard, which is what I would have.
Back to the Moor Park shuffle I suppose.
Just buy a paper extension. No need for a shuffle anyway, as you don't
need to "tap out" a paper Travelcard.
Roland Perry
Roland Perry
2023-12-15 06:27:26 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
extension?
...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you buy.
Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
Extension.
Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
consideration.
After the journey, you mean? Yes, it would be loaded on the Oyster card
at the time of purchase. But does every station "in the zones" (up to
Z6+5 = Z11) have a facility to tap out. And what if you have an onward
National Rail ticket from the extended-to station, do you have to get
off, tap out, then catch the next train to your ultimate destination?
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2023-12-15 19:56:08 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by John Levine
Not having done this, do you have to tap your card when you buy the
extension?
 ...you have to tap your Oyster card on the TVM for *everything* you
buy.
 Like PAYG credit, a Travelcard, a Bus/Tram pass, or the Travelcard
Extension.
Presumably when you tap out, it takes the extension ticket into
consideration.
After the journey, you mean? Yes, it would be loaded on the Oyster card
at the time of purchase. But does every station "in the zones" (up to
Z6+5 = Z11) have a facility to tap out. And what if you have an onward
National Rail ticket from the extended-to station, do you have to get
off, tap out, then catch the next train to your ultimate destination?
I was staying on TfL routes so that didn't arise.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-11 10:40:43 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
[...]
Yes, I can't find a reference to that ticket on the TfL ticketing pages.
But I've seen paper tickets to destinations well outside TfL-land available
on TfL TVMs. What I've never had reason to look for is a zone extension
ticket on the LU network.

Here's an example of a Tube station TVM offering to sell a ticket to a far
away obscure place:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/52115807672/
Graeme Wall
2023-12-11 11:40:29 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
[...]
Would it actually sell you a ticket? I can enter the details of my
intended journey on the Nation Rail site and it will take me through all
the steps up to and including specifying my old fogies' card, then it
crashes.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-11 11:49:21 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
[...]
I think it would have done, but I wasn't going to spend real money on the
experiment. One problem with doing these tests is that a helpful TfL
employee soon appears alongside what they think is a confused visitor, keen
to help you complete your purchase.
Roland Perry
2023-12-11 13:59:26 UTC
One problem with doing these tests is that a helpful TfL employee soon
appears alongside what they think is a confused visitor, keen to help
you complete your purchase.
I presume you are being ironic. At the station I just visited there were
two of them stood gossiping about six feet inside the barrier line and I
had to attract their attention.
Roland Perry
Recliner
Roland Perry
2023-12-11 13:50:21 UTC
Post by Recliner
I can't find a reference to that ticket on the TfL ticketing pages.
But I've seen paper tickets to destinations well outside TfL-land available
on TfL TVMs. What I've never had reason to look for is a zone extension
ticket on the LU network.
I asked one of the "helpers" at a tube station and they first tried to
persuade me to buy a Nationalrail single (from a Nationalrail vendor),
until I insisted it was a tube line.

But we went and looked at the TVM, and on the buy tickets screen there's
four options and the bottom right is for "Travelcard extensions" and a
3-zones single is £6.70

In other news, I've had yet another new parking app inflicted on me
[lookingforcarpark] to add to:

Ringo
PhoneAndPay
Justpark
Paybyphone
Saba

(Plus a different app to pre-book Saba)

And en-route I stumbled over YourParkingSpace.
Roland Perry
Roland Perry
2023-12-11 14:02:23 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
I can't find a reference to that ticket on the TfL ticketing pages.
But I've seen paper tickets to destinations well outside TfL-land available
on TfL TVMs. What I've never had reason to look for is a zone extension
ticket on the LU network.
I asked one of the "helpers" at a tube station and they first tried to
persuade me to buy a Nationalrail single (from a Nationalrail vendor),
until I insisted it was a tube line.
But we went and looked at the TVM, and on the buy tickets screen
there's four options and the bottom right is for "Travelcard
extensions" and a 3-zones single is £6.70
It's a generic ticket for any tube line, but is perhaps only valid for
3hrs, so buy it wherever you change to the Met.
Roland Perry
Recliner
2023-12-11 14:40:00 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
I can't find a reference to that ticket on the TfL ticketing pages.
But I've seen paper tickets to destinations well outside TfL-land available
on TfL TVMs. What I've never had reason to look for is a zone extension
ticket on the LU network.
I asked one of the "helpers" at a tube station and they first tried to
persuade me to buy a Nationalrail single (from a Nationalrail vendor),
until I insisted it was a tube line.
But we went and looked at the TVM, and on the buy tickets screen
there's four options and the bottom right is for "Travelcard
extensions" and a 3-zones single is £6.70
Good, so it does still exist.
Post by Roland Perry
It's a generic ticket for any tube line, but is perhaps only valid for
3hrs, so buy it wherever you change to the Met.
It should be OK if bought at Waterloo. It's about a 75 minute journey, so three hours allows lots of margin. I had
thought it was only valid for two hours, which should still be plenty.

There's basically two options from Waterloo:

- Bakerloo to Marylebone, Chiltern to Rickmansworth, Met to Chesham (this would be the most comfortable)

- Jubilee to Finchley Rd, then Met to Chesham. If the next Chesham is more than five minutes away, it might be better to
go to Harrow-on-the-Hill and wait there.

The best choice depends on the timing of the relatively infrequent Chiltern and Chesham trains. A journey planner should
be able to advise.
Graeme Wall
2023-12-11 15:04:35 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Roland Perry
It's a generic ticket for any tube line, but is perhaps only valid for
3hrs, so buy it wherever you change to the Met.
It should be OK if bought at Waterloo. It's about a 75 minute journey, so three hours allows lots of margin. I had
thought it was only valid for two hours, which should still be plenty.
- Bakerloo to Marylebone, Chiltern to Rickmansworth, Met to Chesham (this would be the most comfortable)
- Jubilee to Finchley Rd, then Met to Chesham. If the next Chesham is more than five minutes away, it might be better to
go to Harrow-on-the-Hill and wait there.
The best choice depends on the timing of the relatively infrequent Chiltern and Chesham trains. A journey planner should
be able to advise.
Haven't been able to find a timetable for the Met yet. Must say, I never
thought of using Chiltern
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-11 16:12:01 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Roland Perry
It's a generic ticket for any tube line, but is perhaps only valid for
3hrs, so buy it wherever you change to the Met.
It should be OK if bought at Waterloo. It's about a 75 minute journey,
so three hours allows lots of margin. I had
thought it was only valid for two hours, which should still be plenty.
- Bakerloo to Marylebone, Chiltern to Rickmansworth, Met to Chesham
(this would be the most comfortable)
- Jubilee to Finchley Rd, then Met to Chesham. If the next Chesham is
more than five minutes away, it might be better to
go to Harrow-on-the-Hill and wait there.
The best choice depends on the timing of the relatively infrequent
Chiltern and Chesham trains. A journey planner should
be able to advise.
Haven't been able to find a timetable for the Met yet.
https://content.tfl.gov.uk/ttn-44-23-metropolitan-2-oct-23.pdf

But it might be easier to use City Mapper or the TfL Journey Planner.
Post by Graeme Wall
Must say, I never thought of using Chiltern
The Chiltern trains are faster and more comfortable than the Met and the
72TS is more comfortable than the 96TS. But there's less walking and no
steps with the Jubilee/Met option. If you take the latter, you get to try
the new Tube mobile phone signal for the first two stops.

I assume you're familiar with the Chesham branch? If not, it's my
favourite bit of the whole LU network: a long, bucolic, single-track rural
branch line to a station that still has its old water tower. It's the most
distant LU station from London, and couldn't be more different to Waterloo.
Graeme Wall
2023-12-11 17:20:44 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Must say, I never thought of using Chiltern
The Chiltern trains are faster and more comfortable than the Met and the
72TS is more comfortable than the 96TS. But there's less walking and no
steps with the Jubilee/Met option. If you take the latter, you get to try
the new Tube mobile phone signal for the first two stops.
I assume you're familiar with the Chesham branch? If not, it's my
favourite bit of the whole LU network: a long, bucolic, single-track rural
branch line to a station that still has its old water tower. It's the most
distant LU station from London, and couldn't be more different to Waterloo.
I used to go to school in Amersham but I've never used the Chesham
branch, except once back in 1968/9 when I was doing the whole of the
then Underground network. Don't remember it at all. I will look out for
the water tower.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Graeme Wall
2023-12-11 15:02:32 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
I can't find a reference to that ticket on the TfL ticketing pages.
But I've seen paper tickets to destinations well outside TfL-land available
on TfL TVMs. What I've never had reason to look for is a zone extension
ticket on the LU network.
I asked one of the "helpers" at a tube station and they first tried to
persuade me to buy a Nationalrail single (from a Nationalrail vendor),
until I insisted it was a tube line.
But we went and looked at the TVM, and on the buy tickets screen
there's four options and the bottom right is for "Travelcard
extensions" and a 3-zones single is £6.70
That's 13.40 just to get from Moor Park to Chesham and back. I'd be
better off just using contactless from Waterloo and getting a normal day
return from Guildford to Waterloo!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Roland Perry
2023-12-11 20:54:12 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
I can't find a reference to that ticket on the TfL ticketing pages.
But I've seen paper tickets to destinations well outside TfL-land
available on TfL TVMs. What I've never had reason to look for is a
zone extension ticket on the LU network.
I asked one of the "helpers" at a tube station and they first tried
to persuade me to buy a Nationalrail single (from a Nationalrail
vendor), until I insisted it was a tube line.
But we went and looked at the TVM, and on the buy tickets screen
there's four options and the bottom right is for "Travelcard
extensions" and a 3-zones single is £6.70
That's 13.40 just to get from Moor Park to Chesham and back. I'd be
better off just using contactless from Waterloo and getting a normal
day return from Guildford to Waterloo!
Quite probably, but that wasn't your original question.

When I travel to London by train, I always look at the relative pricing
of an outboundary travelcard vs a return to London Terminals and then
using Oyster.
Roland Perry
Recliner
2023-12-11 21:22:41 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
[...]
Yes, in ths case, the latter is probably the better option, mainly because
contactless fares to Chesham are surprisingly cheap.
Graeme Wall
2023-12-11 22:12:18 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
[...]
Having, eventually found the costs and done the sums it works out as
follows:

I day travelcard, plus paper extension out and paper ticket from Chesham
to Moor Park comes out at £34.65

Day rtn Guildford Waterloo and capped contactless travel
Waterloo-Chesham & back is £32.75

I day travelcard plus bail and re-enter at Moor Park both ways is £25.25

If I remain inside Zone 6 then the travelcard is always cheaper than a
rtn and Oyster.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2023-12-11 22:51:43 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
[...]
That's surprisingly cheap!
Presumably that must depend on how much travelling you do in Z1-6?
Graeme Wall
2023-12-12 07:52:11 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Graeme Wall
If I remain inside Zone 6 then the travelcard is always cheaper than a
rtn and Oyster.
Presumably that must depend on how much travelling you do in Z1-6?
A simple there and back about breaks even, if I make a third tube
journey than the travelcard wins.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
No wonder TfL wanted to abolish paper travelcards!
Roland Perry
2023-12-12 08:24:47 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
[...]
Once upon a time - you can check to see if it's still possible - if it
was your only use of the tube a Guildford to Z6 (Moor Park) return [**
perhaps 0839 below] plus a Moor Park to Chesham return could easily be
cheaper.

I used to calculate that Cambridge-Z1 return [0875] was cheaper than a
Z12 Travelcard (no longer available) as long as I didn't have a
triangular tube trip. For example Kings Cross-Waterloo +
Waterloo-Westminster + Westninster-Kings Cross would be a typical "two
meetings" day out.

** http://www.perry.co.uk/avantix_for_dummies.html
Roland Perry
Roland Perry
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2023-12-12 10:56:50 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
[...]
Guildford to Z6 is a travelcard, SWR don't seem to be able to sell me
the add on return. However, if I just do Waterloo-Chesham and return on
contactless with no other journies then the day return plus contactless
becomes £25.95, 70p more expensive than the Moor Park option but less
hassle.
This account not read.
Roland Perry
2023-12-11 20:56:48 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
In other news, I've had yet another new parking app inflicted on me
Ringo
PhoneAndPay
Justpark
Paybyphone
Saba
(Plus a different app to pre-book Saba)
And en-route I stumbled over YourParkingSpace.
And the new LFCP app wouldn't let me create an account. Having typed the
details in, it just threw them away and gave me a new blank form to
fill in. Three times, so I gave up.
Roland Perry
Recliner
2023-12-11 10:58:18 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
[...]
This suggests that such extension tickets are still available, at PayGo
prices, but provides no information on how to buy them:

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/transparency/freedom-of-information/foi-request-detail?referenceId=FOI-3569-1819

There's more info in this thread:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/paper-tfl-travel-card-extension.243726/

Strangely, it suggests that such tickets can be bought from NR rather than
LU machines.
Graeme Wall
2023-12-11 11:45:10 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
[...]
Reading that through, it does seem the best option is to bail out in
Zone 6 and come back in on contactless!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
Just make sure you don't miss the next Chesham train! They're only 2 tph.
Graeme Wall
2023-12-11 14:58:59 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
[...]