TV Alert: Tim Siddy back for a new series
Recliner
2024-06-27 16:06:50 UTC
Series 4 of Secrets of the London Underground, presented by Tim Dunn and
Siddy Holloway, starts next Tuesday:

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/secretslondonunderground-s4yesterday
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-27 16:12:06 UTC
On Thu, 27 Jun 2024 16:06:50 GMT
Post by Recliner
Series 4 of Secrets of the London Underground, presented by Tim Dunn and
https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/secretslondonunderground-s4yesterday
Cheers for that. Shame they can't ditch him with his annoying twitches and
phoney bonhomie and just keep her.

She also appears in the LT museum channel videos which broadly does the
same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/@ltmuseumvideo/videos
Recliner
Those videos need more editing — they have a lot of extraneous content.
Roland Perry
2024-06-27 21:12:55 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
Series 4 of Secrets of the London Underground, presented by Tim Dunn and
https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/secretslondonunderground-s4yesterday
Cheers for that. Shame they can't ditch him with his annoying twitches
And just as annoyingly playing dumb.
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
and phoney bonhomie and just keep her.
I'm going off her to be honest, because they started off profiling her
as a historian, but now she's clearly just an actress (and have you seen
the excruciating commercial for "U & Yesterday"?)

Doesn't mean she's any worse as an advocate for the museum and its
tours, but that means admiring her for this evolving role, rather than
the original one.
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-28 07:42:28 UTC
On Thu, 27 Jun 2024 22:12:55 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
Series 4 of Secrets of the London Underground, presented by Tim Dunn and
https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/secretslondonunderground-s4yesterday
Cheers for that. Shame they can't ditch him with his annoying twitches
And just as annoyingly playing dumb.
True, though unfortunately that seems to be how a lot of directors want it
these days. Along with (thankfully not in this show) not looking directly at
the camera but slightly to the side as if having a conversation with the sound
man. That really winds me up. The viewer is the audience, not the crew.
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
and phoney bonhomie and just keep her.
I'm going off her to be honest, because they started off profiling her
as a historian, but now she's clearly just an actress (and have you seen
Yes, an actress who presumably got a front of house job at the LT museum for
her predsenting qualities I imagine.
Post by Roland Perry
the excruciating commercial for "U & Yesterday"?)
No. Can't find it on youtube. Is it an old one?
I just admire her for her looks. Yes I'm shallow.
Recliner
2024-06-28 11:52:27 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
Series 4 of Secrets of the London Underground, presented by Tim Dunn and
https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/secretslondonunderground-s4yesterday
Cheers for that. Shame they can't ditch him with his annoying twitches
And just as annoyingly playing dumb.
True, though unfortunately that seems to be how a lot of directors want it
these days. Along with (thankfully not in this show) not looking directly at
the camera but slightly to the side as if having a conversation with the sound
man. That really winds me up. The viewer is the audience, not the crew.
It might be fun if they swapped roles in one season, with Tim being the
expert (which he actually is) and Siddy playing the ignoramus who's
thrilled and excited by every little discovery. Tim's been a rail
enthusiast for over 30 years, and is hugely knowledgeable, whereas Siddy
spent her first 20 years in a country with no trains at all, and has only
been professionally involved with transport for the last nine years.
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Roland Perry
Doesn't mean she's any worse as an advocate for the museum and its
tours, but that means admiring her for this evolving role, rather than
the original one.
I just admire her for her looks. Yes I'm shallow.
When watching this series, remember that she was pregnant the whole time it
was being shot.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-28 12:53:49 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
man. That really winds me up. The viewer is the audience, not the crew.
It might be fun if they swapped roles in one season, with Tim being the
expert (which he actually is) and Siddy playing the ignoramus who's
thrilled and excited by every little discovery. Tim's been a rail
enthusiast for over 30 years, and is hugely knowledgeable, whereas Siddy
You have to wonder why he agreed to be the Baldrick of the pair then. I can
only assume it was a combination of money and TV exposure.
Post by Recliner
spent her first 20 years in a country with no trains at all, and has only
been professionally involved with transport for the last nine years.
You can learn a lot in 9 years.
I assume she's somewhat heavier than in the last one then.
Recliner
2024-06-28 13:58:07 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
man. That really winds me up. The viewer is the audience, not the crew.
It might be fun if they swapped roles in one season, with Tim being the
expert (which he actually is) and Siddy playing the ignoramus who's
thrilled and excited by every little discovery. Tim's been a rail
enthusiast for over 30 years, and is hugely knowledgeable, whereas Siddy
You have to wonder why he agreed to be the Baldrick of the pair then. I can
only assume it was a combination of money and TV exposure.
I think the whole series might have been his idea, and perhaps that's the role he wanted to play?
Presumably — she was in her second trimester, so there might be a small bump.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-28 15:38:28 UTC
On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 14:58:07 +0100
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
man. That really winds me up. The viewer is the audience, not the crew.
It might be fun if they swapped roles in one season, with Tim being the
expert (which he actually is) and Siddy playing the ignoramus who's
thrilled and excited by every little discovery. Tim's been a rail
enthusiast for over 30 years, and is hugely knowledgeable, whereas Siddy
You have to wonder why he agreed to be the Baldrick of the pair then. I can
only assume it was a combination of money and TV exposure.
I think the whole series might have been his idea, and perhaps that's the role
he wanted to play?
Could be, no idea. His youtube channel is rather bare so he doesn't come across
as a natural video maker.
Peter Johnson
2024-06-28 17:33:45 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
You have to wonder why he agreed to be the Baldrick of the pair then. I can
only assume it was a combination of money and TV exposure.
You have to remember that when it started she was an unknown, only
credited at the end. Having built her brand, and her audience, in the
last series she was credited as co-presenter aand presented her own
segments, one per episode, for the first time. (And he had also made
The Architecture the Railways Made solo before. This is the last
series of Secrets of the London Underground, by the way.)
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-28 18:59:37 UTC
On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 18:33:45 +0100
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
You have to wonder why he agreed to be the Baldrick of the pair then. I can
only assume it was a combination of money and TV exposure.
You have to remember that when it started she was an unknown, only
To be fair, he's not exactly A list himself even now. Only mainly railway geeks
would recognise him.
How do you know, did they say so in a trailer or do you have insider info?
Peter Johnson
2024-06-29 14:37:16 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
You have to wonder why he agreed to be the Baldrick of the pair then. I can
only assume it was a combination of money and TV exposure.
You have to remember that when it started she was an unknown, only
To be fair, he's not exactly A list himself even now. Only mainly railway geeks
would recognise him.
That he's on Yesterday tell's you he's not an A-lister but on
Yesterday he's a star.
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Peter Johnson
credited at the end. Having built her brand, and her audience, in the
last series she was credited as co-presenter aand presented her own
segments, one per episode, for the first time. (And he had also made
The Architecture the Railways Made solo before. This is the last
series of Secrets of the London Underground, by the way.)
How do you know, did they say so in a trailer or do you have insider info?
He told me, when I met him last year. They've run out of secrets. He's
working for Peter Hendy on Rail200.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-29 15:37:56 UTC
The article somebody posted suggests otherwise.
Recliner
2024-06-29 15:49:49 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
How do you know, did they say so in a trailer or do you have insider info?
He told me, when I met him last year. They've run out of secrets. He's
working for Peter Hendy on Rail200.
The article somebody posted suggests otherwise.
Yes, he might be otherwise engaged till the end of 2025, and I dare say
that the same applies to Siddy for other reasons, but they may both be able
to start on another series in a couple of years.
Marland
2024-06-29 19:45:02 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
How do you know, did they say so in a trailer or do you have insider info?
He told me, when I met him last year. They've run out of secrets. He's
working for Peter Hendy on Rail200.
The article somebody posted suggests otherwise.
Perhaps the new secrets are a secret.

GH
Recliner
2024-07-03 01:41:36 UTC
So, she does have a bump, and it's a slightly different style in this
series. Tim and Siddy are hardly on screen together, so they're basically
equal co-presenters each filming their own separate segments.

I'm familiar with both stations they featured (I wouldn't pronounce
Alperton the way she did), including most of the hidden bits (but not the
Earl's Court control room), so I had a nice nostalgic feeling watching it.
Roland Perry
2024-07-03 07:27:34 UTC
Post by Recliner
I'm familiar with both stations they featured (I wouldn't pronounce
Alperton the way she did)
She pronounces it differently at the start, and in the middle, of that
segment. I'd use the former.
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-03 08:09:31 UTC
Perhaps they don't get on irl and are quite happy with the arrangement.
Roland Perry
2024-07-03 07:19:41 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Peter Johnson
This is the last
series of Secrets of the London Underground, by the way.)
How do you know, did they say so in a trailer or do you have insider info?
He told me, when I met him last year. They've run out of secrets.
I see what you mean. Yesterday's episode (see what I did there) included
a repeat of the Central Line munitions factory 'secret'.

Liked the District Line control room, I've been on a private tour of the
very similar Northern Line one at Euston. (Well, when it was fully
operational, I don't know if it still exists or has been a casualty of
the HS2 clearance).

The theme of the show seems to have drifted from mainly 'locked rooms
and hidden tunnels' to much more public facing aspects, like the
first-escalator, or the Museum's Depot, which aren't 'secrets' at all.

Siddy [Curator of Hidden London] doesn't seem to be !So! !Ex!-!Cited!
about everything either.
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-03 08:11:07 UTC
On Wed, 3 Jul 2024 08:19:41 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Siddy [Curator of Hidden London] doesn't seem to be !So! !Ex!-!Cited!
about everything either.
If she was pregant during filming she could well have felt like shit.

I'm waiting for her to leg it to the USA with her american husband and pop
up doing a Secrets of the New York Subway program on PBS.
Roland Perry
2024-07-03 08:46:28 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Roland Perry
Siddy [Curator of Hidden London] doesn't seem to be !So! !Ex!-!Cited!
about everything either.
If she was pregant during filming she could well have felt like shit.
Quite likely. She was wearing minimal makeup, too.
Roland Perry
Marland
2024-07-03 11:32:13 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Wed, 3 Jul 2024 08:19:41 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Siddy [Curator of Hidden London] doesn't seem to be !So! !Ex!-!Cited!
about everything either.
If she was pregant during filming she could well have felt like shit.
I'm waiting for her to leg it to the USA with her american husband and pop
up doing a Secrets of the New York Subway program on PBS.
Wonder if anyone has done any historical programmes on the US systems which
would have to include the early beginnings as elevated railways many of
which as public opinion started to object to the noise above the streets
were replaced by underground lines , London was fortunate with its soft
clay in doing it one hit,
Perhaps it is a market waiting to be tapped or maybe the US audience with
an interest in such things
isn’t large enough to sustain them commercially and it would be down to
PBS to air them.
Though London rightly can claim the first “UndergrounD” route it was
really electrification and that made the concept tolerable and the
technology of that came from the US with US investors making a mark on the
London system that endured for years such as calling stock cars instead of
coaches.
ISTR the first District Railway electric stock was heavily based on what
was running in Boston on the Elevated .
I suppose New York , Boston and Chicago could provide quite few episodes
between them.

GH
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-03 13:31:39 UTC
On 3 Jul 2024 11:32:13 GMT
Post by Marland
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I'm waiting for her to leg it to the USA with her american husband and pop
up doing a Secrets of the New York Subway program on PBS.
Wonder if anyone has done any historical programmes on the US systems which
would have to include the early beginnings as elevated railways many of
which as public opinion started to object to the noise above the streets
were replaced by underground lines , London was fortunate with its soft
clay in doing it one hit,
Not really. Yes the original met line was in tunnel but a lot of it rose up
on viaducts once it got further from the city centre eg from hammersmith almost
to acton. Maybe a brick viaduct isn't as noisy as a metal one but its
ultimately the same thing.
Post by Marland
Perhaps it is a market waiting to be tapped or maybe the US audience with
an interest in such things
isn’t large enough to sustain them commercially and it would be down to
PBS to air them.
I reckon there's probably loads of people in the US who'd find it interesting,
but the interests of middle age and old white men don't really seem to concern
media types much these days.
Roland Perry
2024-07-03 14:13:12 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I reckon there's probably loads of people in the US who'd find it interesting,
but the interests of middle age and old white men don't really seem to concern
media types much these days.
Apart from Fox News.
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-03 15:00:49 UTC
On Wed, 3 Jul 2024 15:13:12 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Never watched it, but I doubt it has many railway programs.
Marland
2024-07-03 17:29:56 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On 3 Jul 2024 11:32:13 GMT
Post by Marland
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I'm waiting for her to leg it to the USA with her american husband and pop
up doing a Secrets of the New York Subway program on PBS.
Wonder if anyone has done any historical programmes on the US systems which
would have to include the early beginnings as elevated railways many of
which as public opinion started to object to the noise above the streets
were replaced by underground lines , London was fortunate with its soft
clay in doing it one hit,
Not really. Yes the original met line was in tunnel but a lot of it rose up
on viaducts once it got further from the city centre eg from hammersmith almost
to acton. Maybe a brick viaduct isn't as noisy as a metal one but its
ultimately the same thing.
Not quite in the instances I was referring to, I don’t think any of our
railways built brick viaducts along existing roads while leaving the
traffic to run underneath while trains run only yards away from the windows
of properties. Chicago retains its system, New York still has some in
outlying areas but much was replaced by underground trackage, that also let
them put four tracks in where the elevated viaducts were too constrained by
buildings to be widened. Don’t know if Boston still has sections.
Here of course we only had the Liverpool line which ran over roads and
goods tracks serving the docks and associated industries. South London
appears to be the home of brick viaducts , must be miles of them , a
forgotten term now but the LBSCR when it electrified some of its suburban
routes did use the term “The Elevated Electric” because most of it was on
viaducts.

GH

Blueshirt
2024-07-03 14:54:12 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I'm waiting for her to leg it to the USA with her american
husband and pop up doing a Secrets of the New York Subway
program
I'd watch that!

Where do we send our suggestions to?
Recliner
2024-06-28 23:36:40 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
You have to wonder why he agreed to be the Baldrick of the pair then. I can
only assume it was a combination of money and TV exposure.
You have to remember that when it started she was an unknown, only
credited at the end. Having built her brand, and her audience, in the
last series she was credited as co-presenter aand presented her own
segments, one per episode, for the first time. (And he had also made
The Architecture the Railways Made solo before. This is the last
series of Secrets of the London Underground, by the way.)
This suggests otherwise (see the final two paras):

https://x.com/phantomtoto/status/1806697181245567482?s=61&t=hpa_q__1jHKBKNmXnN44ZQ
Roland Perry
2024-06-28 15:23:20 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Roland Perry
the excruciating commercial for "U & Yesterday"?)
No. Can't find it on youtube. Is it an old one?
New one. They've been playing it incessantly on "Yesterday" to announce
the unexplained rebranding from July onwards.
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
I'll have to keep a lookup for it.
Graeme Wall
2024-06-28 17:54:58 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
Series 4 of Secrets of the London Underground, presented by Tim Dunn and
https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/secretslondonunderground-s4yesterday
Cheers for that. Shame they can't ditch him with his annoying twitches
And just as annoyingly playing dumb.
True, though unfortunately that seems to be how a lot of directors want it
these days. Along with (thankfully not in this show) not looking directly at
the camera but slightly to the side as if having a conversation with the sound
man. That really winds me up. The viewer is the audience, not the crew.
I always suspect he is looking a cue cards held up alongside the camera
to remind him what he has to say.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-28 19:01:57 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
man. That really winds me up. The viewer is the audience, not the crew.
I always suspect he is looking a cue cards held up alongside the camera
to remind him what he has to say.
No, it happens too often and never used to. They started doing it in
Countryfile but that seems to have stopped , presumably change of director
or somebody got a slap. Also in a recent series with Marcus Wareing he was
doing it in the first few episodes but finally seemed to realise where the
camera was in the later ones.
Recliner
2024-06-28 23:50:48 UTC
and have you seen the excruciating commercial for "U & Yesterday"?
No, because I don't watch any commercials. But thanks for the alert — I
wasn't aware of the coming change:

https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/19681/news/uktv-to-rebrand-its-portfolio-of-channels/

Apparently there will be more edgy, youth-oriented content from October, to
attract younger audiences and the advertisers who target them.

https://www.marketingweek.com/uktv-rebrands-yesterday-channel/
Roland Perry
2024-06-29 06:47:21 UTC
Post by Recliner
and have you seen the excruciating commercial for "U & Yesterday"?
No, because I don't watch any commercials. But thanks for the alert
I can't be bothered to record then skip the commercials. For example in
the repeats (King William St and Brompton Road) this morning.
Roland Perry
Marland
2024-06-29 08:07:05 UTC
Post by Recliner
and have you seen the excruciating commercial for "U & Yesterday"?
No, because I don't watch any commercials. But thanks for the alert — I
https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/19681/news/uktv-to-rebrand-its-portfolio-of-channels/
Apparently there will be more edgy, youth-oriented content from October, to
attract younger audiences and the advertisers who target them.
https://www.marketingweek.com/uktv-rebrands-yesterday-channel/
Less commercials for mobility aids, equity release ,joint medication and
holidays that only the wealthy retired have the time and money for then.
Those European river cruise commercials take the biscuit, there seem to be
only about 5 passengers on them who have a vast choice of where to sit on
an almost empty deck. I bet the reality is there is stiff competition for
the best seats.

Incoming commercials , every couple is half ethnic or non heterosexual .

GH

GH
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-29 08:41:59 UTC
On 29 Jun 2024 08:07:05 GMT
Post by Marland
Post by Recliner
Apparently there will be more edgy, youth-oriented content from October, to
attract younger audiences and the advertisers who target them.
https://www.marketingweek.com/uktv-rebrands-yesterday-channel/
Less commercials for mobility aids, equity release ,joint medication and
holidays that only the wealthy retired have the time and money for then.
Those European river cruise commercials take the biscuit, there seem to be
only about 5 passengers on them who have a vast choice of where to sit on
an almost empty deck. I bet the reality is there is stiff competition for
the best seats.
Most of the clientel probably are probably not far off being stiffs.
Not only the commercials.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-29 08:37:55 UTC
On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 23:50:48 GMT
and have you seen the excruciating commercial for "U & Yesterday"?
No, because I don't watch any commercials. But thanks for the alert — I
https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/19681/news/uktv-to-rebrand-its-portfolio-of-cha
nnels/
Looks like another marketeer has been paid loads of money to come up with
some bullshit branding which looks and sounds ridiculous. Wonder if they're
the same peple who made a laughing stock out of ABRDN.
Apparently there will be more edgy, youth-oriented content from October, to
attract younger audiences and the advertisers who target them.
https://www.marketingweek.com/uktv-rebrands-yesterday-channel/
Ie: ideas nicked from tiktok, presenters hired based on diversity criteria
rather than any discernable talent and lots of pointless swearing. IOW just
like the modern BBC.
Recliner
Well, Yesterday is a BBC channel.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-29 08:47:27 UTC
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:42:16 GMT
Post by Recliner
On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 23:50:48 GMT
Does the BBC part own UKTV? Explains a lot anyway.
Recliner
2024-06-29 08:51:43 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:42:16 GMT
Post by Recliner
No, it owns it outright.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-29 08:55:09 UTC
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:51:43 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:42:16 GMT
Post by Recliner
On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 23:50:48 GMT
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
attract younger audiences and the advertisers who target them.
https://www.marketingweek.com/uktv-rebrands-yesterday-channel/
Ie: ideas nicked from tiktok, presenters hired based on diversity criteria
rather than any discernable talent and lots of pointless swearing. IOW just
like the modern BBC.
Well, Yesterday is a BBC channel.
Does the BBC part own UKTV? Explains a lot anyway.
No, it owns it outright.
Interesting. Presumably the commercial part of the corp. Wonder why they
don't just rebrand them all as BBC rather than something that sounds like
rejected ideas for some cheap lifestyle brands.
Recliner
2024-06-29 09:25:03 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:51:43 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:42:16 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
attract younger audiences and the advertisers who target them.
https://www.marketingweek.com/uktv-rebrands-yesterday-channel/
Ie: ideas nicked from tiktok, presenters hired based on diversity criteria
rather than any discernable talent and lots of pointless swearing. IOW just
like the modern BBC.
Well, Yesterday is a BBC channel.
Does the BBC part own UKTV? Explains a lot anyway.
No, it owns it outright.
Interesting. Presumably the commercial part of the corp. Wonder why they
don't just rebrand them all as BBC rather than something that sounds like
rejected ideas for some cheap lifestyle brands.
It doesn't want politicians poking their noses in. I suspect this
rebranding is just one step towards UKTV becoming a major commercial
operation with lots of big-money foreign co-productions. For example, Dr
Who is part of the same operation:

https://www.bbcstudios.com/news/discover-the-new-doctor-who-multi-platform-story-time-lord-victorious/
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-29 09:37:04 UTC
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 09:25:03 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Interesting. Presumably the commercial part of the corp. Wonder why they
don't just rebrand them all as BBC rather than something that sounds like
rejected ideas for some cheap lifestyle brands.
It doesn't want politicians poking their noses in. I suspect this
rebranding is just one step towards UKTV becoming a major commercial
operation with lots of big-money foreign co-productions. For example, Dr
https://www.bbcstudios.com/news/discover-the-new-doctor-who-multi-platform-stor
y-time-lord-victorious/
Dr Who otherwise known as "progressive" propaganda for children. I guess if
anyone wants to know if it could disappear any further up its own backside that
seems to answer the question.
Blueshirt
2024-06-29 13:05:53 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Interesting. Presumably the commercial part of the corp.
Wonder why they don't just rebrand them all as BBC rather
than something that sounds like rejected ideas for some
cheap lifestyle brands.
It doesn't want politicians poking their noses in. I suspect
this rebranding is just one step towards UKTV becoming a major
commercial operation with lots of big-money foreign
co-productions. For example, Dr Who is part of the same
https://www.bbcstudios.com/news/discover-the-new-doctor-who-multi-platform-story-time-lord-victorious/

Well, not exactly 'new' as that series of cross-platform Doctor
Who adventures was released about four years ago... and they
wasn't very good.

The UKTV channel re-branding seems like a waste of time time
to me as we're still going to call the channels
Yesterday/Dave/Watch etc. as opposed to
U-Yesterday/U-Dave/U-Watch...
Recliner
2024-06-29 13:20:21 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
[...]
I think it's one step along the way to them all using the UKTV brand (ie, like BBC1/2/3/4, or ITV1/2/3, etc). It also
seems to be part of a move towards them being seen as the home for lots of original material, and not just old repeats
from other channels.

This might be in reaction to pressure from the Tories to squeeze or get rid of the licence fee, forcing the BBC to at
least partially switch to subscription or advertising funding, maybe for one or two of its channels, leaving only one or
two public service ad-free channels. UKTV is the ready-made home for such newly-commercial BBC channels (both on air and
streaming).
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-06-29 15:37:06 UTC
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 14:20:21 +0100
Post by Recliner
seems to be part of a move towards them being seen as the home for lots of
original material, and not just old repeats
from other channels.
The whole point of some of them is repeats. I prefer watching Bodie and Doyle
instead of some diversity box ticks (best recent example was an asian head of
police in the last series of Shetland which was genuinely funny though I don't
think it was supposed to be) and scripts that hadn't been vetted by woke
feotuses before they could be used.
Marland
2024-06-29 13:22:07 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
[...]
Some of the stuff put out would be worthy of a channel called U-Bend.

GH
Graeme Wall
2024-06-29 08:59:27 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:42:16 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
Apparently there will be more edgy, youth-oriented content from October, to
attract younger audiences and the advertisers who target them.
https://www.marketingweek.com/uktv-rebrands-yesterday-channel/
Ie: ideas nicked from tiktok, presenters hired based on diversity criteria
rather than any discernable talent and lots of pointless swearing. IOW just
like the modern BBC.
Well, Yesterday is a BBC channel.
Does the BBC part own UKTV? Explains a lot anyway.
No, it owns it outright.
Technically owned by BBC Studios, formerly BBC Worldwide.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2024-06-29 09:24:19 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 08:42:16 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
Apparently there will be more edgy, youth-oriented content from October, to
attract younger audiences and the advertisers who target them.
https://www.marketingweek.com/uktv-rebrands-yesterday-channel/
Ie: ideas nicked from tiktok, presenters hired based on diversity criteria
rather than any discernable talent and lots of pointless swearing. IOW just
like the modern BBC.
Well, Yesterday is a BBC channel.
Does the BBC part own UKTV? Explains a lot anyway.
No, it owns it outright.
Technically owned by BBC Studios, formerly BBC Worldwide.
Yup, it's the growing commercial side of the BBC. It's where the Beeb likes
to park its highest earners, as their salaries don't have to be disclosed.
It's also an area that gets little political scrutiny.
Graeme Wall
2024-06-29 08:54:06 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
Apparently there will be more edgy, youth-oriented content from October, to
attract younger audiences and the advertisers who target them.
https://www.marketingweek.com/uktv-rebrands-yesterday-channel/
Ie: ideas nicked from tiktok, presenters hired based on diversity criteria
rather than any discernable talent and lots of pointless swearing. IOW just
like the modern BBC.
Well, Yesterday is a BBC channel.
It is?
--