(Not so) Secrets of the london underground
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-12 08:51:48 UTC
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping around
paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with some dirty tiles? who
cares - with lots of missed opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the
PO railway was ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?

Then the interview with a suitably diversity box ticking LU driver who they've
had on before and asked more or less the same dull questions and more
viewing old plans in the acton depot. ZZzzzz....

If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
Blueshirt
2024-07-12 10:24:06 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping
around paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with
some dirty tiles? who cares - with lots of missed
opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the PO railway was
ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
Then the interview with a suitably diversity box ticking LU
driver who they've had on before and asked more or less the
same dull questions and more viewing old plans in the acton
depot. ZZzzzz....
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
I am finding this season boring too...

Maybe the series has had its day? After all, there are only so
many 'secrets'.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-12 10:29:14 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 11:24:06 +0100
Post by Blueshirt
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping
around paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with
some dirty tiles? who cares - with lots of missed
opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the PO railway was
ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
Then the interview with a suitably diversity box ticking LU
driver who they've had on before and asked more or less the
same dull questions and more viewing old plans in the acton
depot. ZZzzzz....
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
I am finding this season boring too...
Maybe the series has had its day? After all, there are only so
many 'secrets'.
They seem to be sticking mostly to central london in later series which rather
limits what they can talk about. IIRC they did Ongar in a past series but they
haven't done the finchley -> barnet branch of the northern which used to be
a steam railway , plus the disused bit beyond mill hill east or the old
alexandra palace branch. Though IIRC they did do Highgate high level.
Roland Perry
2024-07-12 13:10:43 UTC
Post by Blueshirt
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping
around paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with
some dirty tiles? who cares - with lots of missed
opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the PO railway was
ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
Then the interview with a suitably diversity box ticking LU
driver who they've had on before and asked more or less the
same dull questions and more viewing old plans in the acton
depot. ZZzzzz....
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
I am finding this season boring too...
Maybe the series has had its day? After all, there are only so
many 'secrets'.
I don't think they've done the old Angel station, or the old London
Bridge one.
Roland Perry
Roland Perry
2024-07-12 13:07:52 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping around
paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with some dirty tiles? who
cares - with lots of missed opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the
PO railway was ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
I agree. And they were in danger of conflating the conveyer belts for
Mail Rail with those for HEx.

Slightly confused by the show not being in chronological sequence of the
filming. Siddy very obviously waddling due to pregnancy. But full points
for being a trouper and carrying on.
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-12 13:24:56 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 14:07:52 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping around
paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with some dirty tiles? who
cares - with lots of missed opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the
PO railway was ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
I agree. And they were in danger of conflating the conveyer belts for
Mail Rail with those for HEx.
I never realised HEx even had paddington check-in. I can understand why it
didn't last post 9/11. Wonder how many bags went missing while it was live.
Post by Roland Perry
Slightly confused by the show not being in chronological sequence of the
filming. Siddy very obviously waddling due to pregnancy. But full points
for being a trouper and carrying on.
I wouldn't be surprised if morning sickness during the first months of her
pregnancy precluded any filming. But unless the woman is really unlucky - eg
princess of wales - it usually wears off after 4 or 5 months or so.
Roland Perry
2024-07-12 15:13:39 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping around
paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with some dirty tiles? who
cares - with lots of missed opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the
PO railway was ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
I agree. And they were in danger of conflating the conveyer belts for
Mail Rail with those for HEx.
I never realised HEx even had paddington check-in.
You should get out more, as they say.

I used it once, in the short time it was operational.
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I can understand why it didn't last post 9/11.
It's more post-Dunblane (December 88) thing. And not clear why the bags
checked in at Paddington were that much more of a loophole than those
checked in at a different Heathrow terminal to the one you were flying
from.
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Wonder how many bags went missing while it was live.
Very few, probably. Who would have stolen them? GWR employees...
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Roland Perry
Slightly confused by the show not being in chronological sequence of the
filming. Siddy very obviously waddling due to pregnancy. But full points
for being a trouper and carrying on.
I wouldn't be surprised if morning sickness during the first months of her
pregnancy precluded any filming. But unless the woman is really unlucky - eg
princess of wales - it usually wears off after 4 or 5 months or so.
There's loads of meds which can combat that (as long as you avoid
Thalidomide). And morning sickness is more literal than metaphorical,
so filming can be done in the afternoon.
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2024-07-12 15:29:24 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
It's more post-Dunblane (December 88) thing. And not clear why the bags
checked in at Paddington were that much more of a loophole than those
checked in at a different Heathrow terminal to the one you were flying
from.
I suspect it was more a cost thing, after Dunblane and, especially, 911,
you needed much more kit and staff to carry out a thorough security
check. Probably not worth it for the relatively few people using the
facility.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Roland Perry
2024-07-12 15:45:13 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
It's more post-Dunblane (December 88) thing. And not clear why the
bags checked in at Paddington were that much more of a loophole than
those checked in at a different Heathrow terminal to the one you were
flying from.
I suspect it was more a cost thing, after Dunblane and, especially,
911, you needed much more kit and staff to carry out a thorough
security check. Probably not worth it for the relatively few people
using the facility.
Yes, BA philosophy: "screw the passengers if it saves us tuppence".
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2024-07-12 16:32:16 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
It's more post-Dunblane (December 88) thing. And not clear why the
bags  checked in at Paddington were that much more of a loophole than
those  checked in at a different Heathrow terminal to the one you
were flying  from.
I suspect it was more a cost thing, after Dunblane and, especially,
911, you needed much more kit and staff to carry out a thorough
security check. Probably not worth it for the relatively few people
using the facility.
Yes, BA philosophy: "screw the passengers if it saves us tuppence".
More to the point, saves having to put the fares up to cover the cost.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Theo
2024-07-12 19:28:41 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
It's more post-Dunblane (December 88) thing. And not clear why the bags
checked in at Paddington were that much more of a loophole than those
checked in at a different Heathrow terminal to the one you were flying
from.
ITYM Lockerbie, not Dunblane (that was the school shooting in '96).
Post by Graeme Wall
I suspect it was more a cost thing, after Dunblane and, especially, 911,
you needed much more kit and staff to carry out a thorough security
check. Probably not worth it for the relatively few people using the
facility.
I'm not sure why you couldn't scan the bags when they get to Heathrow - when
you checkin at a desk they don't scan the bags there and then, it goes off
somewhere central to be scanned. Just feed in another input to that
pipeline.

However what was also thing was the IRA bomb threat - the target being
the train or the airport not the plane. Perhaps that was a concern.

Another thing might have been paperwork related - when you check in they
also check your visas that you have rights to enter $destination. Some
airlines/countries have their own security screening to do that. Perhaps
the single checkin employee at Paddington wasn't qualified to check every
country's visas?

(these days there's the Timatic system where staff can cross check whether
documents A/B/C are valid for entry to country X, but perhaps it was more
paper based in those days?)

Theo
Roland Perry
2024-07-12 20:46:28 UTC
Post by Theo
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
It's more post-Dunblane (December 88) thing. And not clear why the bags
checked in at Paddington were that much more of a loophole than those
checked in at a different Heathrow terminal to the one you were flying
from.
ITYM Lockerbie, not Dunblane (that was the school shooting in '96).
Yes. [And now we have an ex-boyfriend stalking his girl with a crossbow.
The weapon is irrelevant, he'd have used a housebrick if one came to
hand]
Post by Theo
Post by Graeme Wall
I suspect it was more a cost thing, after Dunblane and, especially, 911,
you needed much more kit and staff to carry out a thorough security
check. Probably not worth it for the relatively few people using the
facility.
I'm not sure why you
They?
Post by Theo
couldn't scan the bags when they get to Heathrow - when you checkin at
a desk they don't scan the bags there and then, it goes off somewhere
central to be scanned. Just feed in another input to that pipeline.
Exactly.
Post by Theo
However what was also thing was the IRA bomb threat - the target being
the train or the airport not the plane. Perhaps that was a concern.
Another thing might have been paperwork related - when you check in they
also check your visas that you have rights to enter $destination. Some
airlines/countries have their own security screening to do that. Perhaps
the single checkin employee at Paddington wasn't qualified to check every
country's visas?
(these days there's the Timatic system where staff can cross check whether
documents A/B/C are valid for entry to country X, but perhaps it was more
paper based in those days?)
I suspect it was simply a brave attempt to re-create the West London Air
Terminal in Kensington[1] but failed due to insufficient passengers
using it.

[1] See Flanders and Swann "Flying is safer than crossing the road, and
the airport buses have instructions to keep the statistics favourable"
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-12 17:30:57 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 16:13:39 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Roland Perry
I agree. And they were in danger of conflating the conveyer belts for
Mail Rail with those for HEx.
I never realised HEx even had paddington check-in.
You should get out more, as they say.
Even on the rare occasions I did travel from Heathrow, I had no reason to use
HEx when I could just continue to sit on the piccadilly line (or just get a
taxi which is what we do now).
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Wonder how many bags went missing while it was live.
Very few, probably. Who would have stolen them? GWR employees...
I was thinking more lost/wrong flight tag than nicked.
Tell that to my wife.
Roland Perry
2024-07-12 19:22:37 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I never realised HEx even had paddington check-in.
You should get out more, as they say.
Even on the rare occasions I did travel from Heathrow, I had no reason to use
HEx when I could just continue to sit on the piccadilly line (or just get a
taxi which is what we do now).
Not everyone starts their journey on the Piccadilly Line corridor.
Roland Perry
Recliner
True, but far more do than in the vicinity of Paddington.
Roland Perry
2024-07-12 20:48:23 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I never realised HEx even had paddington check-in.
You should get out more, as they say.
Even on the rare occasions I did travel from Heathrow, I had no reason to use
HEx when I could just continue to sit on the piccadilly line (or just get a
taxi which is what we do now).
Not everyone starts their journey on the Piccadilly Line corridor.
True, but far more do than in the vicinity of Paddington.
Paddington is just one stop on a multi-mode trip from much of central
London and beyond. HEx is quicker and cheaper than a cab too, which is
precisely why it was introduced.
Roland Perry
Recliner
2024-07-12 21:12:11 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I never realised HEx even had paddington check-in.
You should get out more, as they say.
Even on the rare occasions I did travel from Heathrow, I had no reason to use
HEx when I could just continue to sit on the piccadilly line (or just get a
taxi which is what we do now).
Not everyone starts their journey on the Piccadilly Line corridor.
True, but far more do than in the vicinity of Paddington.
Paddington is just one stop on a multi-mode trip from much of central
London and beyond.
Many Piccadilly passengers don't need a multi-mode journey, as it passes
through their area.
Post by Roland Perry
HEx is quicker and cheaper than a cab too, which is
precisely why it was introduced.
Not cheaper than a cab if there's more than one passenger, and not quicker
or more convenient from most parts of London. And now it's fading away —
it's the only UK operator with shrinking demand, as its passengers migrate
to the much more useful Liz.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-13 09:22:18 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 21:48:23 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
True, but far more do than in the vicinity of Paddington.
Paddington is just one stop on a multi-mode trip from much of central
London and beyond. HEx is quicker and cheaper than a cab too, which is
precisely why it was introduced.
Quicker once you're on the HEx. Not so quick once the inevitable delays on
the H&C/Circle line or GWR are taken into account depending how far you have to
travel to get to Paddington in the first place.

Anyway, HEx is on life support now the EL is open. I'd place a few quid on
it being gone in a few years.
Graeme Wall
2024-07-13 09:27:58 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
True, but far more do than in the vicinity of Paddington.
Paddington is just one stop on a multi-mode trip from much of central
London and beyond. HEx is quicker and cheaper than a cab too, which is
precisely why it was introduced.
Quicker once you're on the HEx. Not so quick once the inevitable delays on
the H&C/Circle line or GWR are taken into account depending how far you have to
travel to get to Paddington in the first place.
Anyway, HEx is on life support now the EL is open. I'd place a few quid on
it being gone in a few years.
Isn't the current contract up in a couple of years?
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2024-07-13 09:56:11 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
True, but far more do than in the vicinity of Paddington.
Paddington is just one stop on a multi-mode trip from much of central
London and beyond. HEx is quicker and cheaper than a cab too, which is
precisely why it was introduced.
Quicker once you're on the HEx. Not so quick once the inevitable delays on
the H&C/Circle line or GWR are taken into account depending how far you have to
travel to get to Paddington in the first place.
Anyway, HEx is on life support now the EL is open. I'd place a few quid on
it being gone in a few years.
Isn't the current contract up in a couple of years?
Four

That's about the time when decisions would need to be taken on whether HEx
trains would be stopping in OOC.

If HAL decides not to continue with it, the question would be whether GWR
takes over its paths, using them to run more long distance trains, or if
TfL takes them over, to run a parallel express Liz service, with the same
fares as the stopping Liz service.
Roland Perry
2024-07-14 10:49:00 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
True, but far more do than in the vicinity of Paddington.
Paddington is just one stop on a multi-mode trip from much of central
London and beyond. HEx is quicker and cheaper than a cab too, which is
precisely why it was introduced.
Quicker once you're on the HEx. Not so quick once the inevitable delays on
the H&C/Circle line or GWR are taken into account depending how far you have to
travel to get to Paddington in the first place.
Or conversely, how far you have to travel to the nearest Elizabeth Line
station.

(Having walked to Bond St the other week, I wasn't really anticipating
another ten minutes under the surface to get to the platforms).
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-15 09:27:37 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
travel to get to Paddington in the first place.
Or conversely, how far you have to travel to the nearest Elizabeth Line
station.
(Having walked to Bond St the other week, I wasn't really anticipating
another ten minutes under the surface to get to the platforms).
Building an interchange at Bond Street always made zero sense to me when
the far more popular oxford circus is 1 stop away. If overcrowding is an
issue then they could always have built a seperate EL entrance with the lines
just like they have elsewhere. Connecting with the Jubilee seems a bit
pointless as people going to the Wharf are hardly going to get off a tube
train already going there to walk to the EL platform and wait for an EL train
to take them to the same place.
Recliner
2024-07-15 11:24:10 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
travel to get to Paddington in the first place.
Or conversely, how far you have to travel to the nearest Elizabeth Line
station.
(Having walked to Bond St the other week, I wasn't really anticipating
another ten minutes under the surface to get to the platforms).
Building an interchange at Bond Street always made zero sense to me when
the far more popular oxford circus is 1 stop away. If overcrowding is an
issue then they could always have built a seperate EL entrance with the lines
just like they have elsewhere.
That's effectively what they did, with the Hanover Square entrance.
Not everyone on the Jubilee line is going to Docklands.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-15 14:11:27 UTC
On Mon, 15 Jul 2024 11:24:10 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Connecting with the Jubilee seems a bit
pointless as people going to the Wharf are hardly going to get off a tube
train already going there to walk to the EL platform and wait for an EL train
to take them to the same place.
Not everyone on the Jubilee line is going to Docklands.
A connection with the victoria line would have been more useful given the
number of people who use it and who may want to go to docklands.
Recliner
2024-07-15 14:22:43 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Mon, 15 Jul 2024 11:24:10 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Connecting with the Jubilee seems a bit
pointless as people going to the Wharf are hardly going to get off a tube
train already going there to walk to the EL platform and wait for an EL train
to take them to the same place.
Not everyone on the Jubilee line is going to Docklands.
A connection with the victoria line would have been more useful given the
number of people who use it and who may want to go to docklands.
Yes, it's a pity that neither the Piccadilly nor the Victoria lines have interchanges with the Liz. The Hanover Square
connection is actually closer than any Piccadilly line links.
Roland Perry
2024-07-16 07:42:12 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Connecting with the Jubilee seems a bit pointless as people going to
the Wharf are hardly going to get off a tube train already going
there to walk to the EL platform and wait for an EL train to take
them to the same place.
Not everyone on the Jubilee line is going to Docklands.
Indeed, when I was on it the other week (via Bond St) I was going to and
from mid-Essex.
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
You weren't refering to everyone in your sarcasm.
Roland Perry
2024-07-14 10:50:14 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I never realised HEx even had paddington check-in.
You should get out more, as they say.
Even on the rare occasions I did travel from Heathrow, I had no reason to use
HEx when I could just continue to sit on the piccadilly line (or just get a
taxi which is what we do now).
Not everyone starts their journey on the Piccadilly Line corridor.
You weren't refering to everyone in your sarcasm.
Indeed, I was referring to you, which thankfully is not even remotely
"everyone".
Roland Perry
John Levine
2024-07-12 21:45:54 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I never realised HEx even had paddington check-in.
It's more post-Lockerbie (December 88) thing. And not clear why the bags
checked in at Paddington were that much more of a loophole than those
checked in at a different Heathrow terminal to the one you were flying
from.
More likely there weren't enough people using it to be worth the cost.

The CAT in Vienna, which is much like HeX, premium express service
that is not much faster than the local service on the same track,
still lets you check in at its city terminal. The one thing that makes
it somewhat attractive is that you can drop your bags the previous
evening for an early morning flight.

I continue to wonder how viable HeX is now that the Liz runs
through. If you are going somewhere the Liz goes, it's at
least as fast as HeX and less hassle.
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Recliner
2024-07-12 22:17:49 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I never realised HEx even had paddington check-in.
It's more post-Lockerbie (December 88) thing. And not clear why the bags
checked in at Paddington were that much more of a loophole than those
checked in at a different Heathrow terminal to the one you were flying
from.
More likely there weren't enough people using it to be worth the cost.
Did passenger have to pay to use it? And was it open to all passengers, or
only certain airlines?

The GatEx also once offered Victoria check-in, but no more.
Post by John Levine
The CAT in Vienna, which is much like HeX, premium express service
that is not much faster than the local service on the same track,
still lets you check in at its city terminal. The one thing that makes
it somewhat attractive is that you can drop your bags the previous
evening for an early morning flight.
I continue to wonder how viable HeX is now that the Liz runs
through. If you are going somewhere the Liz goes, it's at
least as fast as HeX and less hassle.
Yes, HEx is becoming an irrelevance, with declining usage. HEx is more
comfortable (it has luggage racks and is much less crowded), and faster if
you're starting from Paddington, but not from anywhere else.

HAL has reduced its commitment to it (it no longer either operates it
itself, nor provides the trains), and it's questionable if it'll continue
beyond its 2028 contract date. I don't know if GWR could use its valuable
Main line paths if it goes?
Roland Perry
2024-07-13 08:32:00 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I never realised HEx even had paddington check-in.
It's more post-Lockerbie (December 88) thing. And not clear why the bags
checked in at Paddington were that much more of a loophole than those
checked in at a different Heathrow terminal to the one you were flying
from.
More likely there weren't enough people using it to be worth the cost.
Another consideration is that by having check-in desks at Paddington,
pressure would be relieved from the ones at Heathrow, which quite likely
at the time were struggling to meet demand.
Post by John Levine
The CAT in Vienna, which is much like HeX, premium express service
that is not much faster than the local service on the same track,
still lets you check in at its city terminal. The one thing that makes
it somewhat attractive is that you can drop your bags the previous
evening for an early morning flight.
Use of "airport express" services is largely about marketing, not
performance. Something I'm sure I don't want to debate for the umpteenth
time with a usual suspect here. They don't understand, and never will.

They are seen by the public as insulated from the local urban transit
services which are likely to be populated with drunks, pick-pockets,
baggage snatchers, urine soaked people who haven't had a bath for weeks,
and so on. In two capital cities I visited when globe-trotting, my
employer insisted I didn't use the local transit system (and paid for
door to door limos) because of the perceived risk of kidnap.

Locals may well be prepared to take those risks [I for example "enjoyed"
a late night trip on the Central Line a week or two ago, where having
first had to negotiate a more than averagely aggressive beggar in the
(unmanned) ticket hall, the carriage was regaled by either a drunkard or
potential mental patient who spent the time screaming and shouting at
anyone who came near] but if you are a traveller from afar, it really
isn't worth getting involved, and so the airport express - be it a train
or a coach - is a natural choice.
Post by John Levine
I continue to wonder how viable HeX is now that the Liz runs
through. If you are going somewhere the Liz goes, it's at
least as fast as HeX and less hassle.
For locals, yes. For visitors, see above.
Roland Perry
Recliner
2024-07-13 15:56:44 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
The CAT in Vienna, which is much like HeX, premium express service
that is not much faster than the local service on the same track,
still lets you check in at its city terminal. The one thing that makes
it somewhat attractive is that you can drop your bags the previous
evening for an early morning flight.
Use of "airport express" services is largely about marketing, not
performance. Something I'm sure I don't want to debate for the umpteenth
time with a usual suspect here. They don't understand, and never will.
Make your mind up: you've previously told us how much better HEx was, now
you say it's not much better in reality, and it's just marketing that makes
them so.
Post by Roland Perry
They are seen by the public as insulated from the local urban transit
services which are likely to be populated with drunks, pick-pockets,
baggage snatchers, urine soaked people who haven't had a bath for weeks,
and so on. In two capital cities I visited when globe-trotting, my
employer insisted I didn't use the local transit system (and paid for
door to door limos) because of the perceived risk of kidnap.
Yes, I can think of several cities like that. But London isn't one of them.
Post by Roland Perry
Locals may well be prepared to take those risks [I for example "enjoyed"
a late night trip on the Central Line a week or two ago, where having
first had to negotiate a more than averagely aggressive beggar in the
(unmanned) ticket hall, the carriage was regaled by either a drunkard or
potential mental patient who spent the time screaming and shouting at
anyone who came near] but if you are a traveller from afar, it really
isn't worth getting involved, and so the airport express - be it a train
or a coach - is a natural choice.
So you're telling us that the opening of the EL shouldn't have
significantly reduced HEx usage compared to, say, 2018/19?

Have you actually looked at the data?
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
I continue to wonder how viable HeX is now that the Liz runs
through. If you are going somewhere the Liz goes, it's at
least as fast as HeX and less hassle.
For locals, yes. For visitors, see above.
So a visitor arrives at Paddington on HEx. Then what are they supposed to
do?

[And I think even you now know what a long, complicated walk it is to the
Paddington taxi rank.]
Roland Perry
2024-07-14 10:56:53 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
The CAT in Vienna, which is much like HeX, premium express service
that is not much faster than the local service on the same track,
still lets you check in at its city terminal. The one thing that makes
it somewhat attractive is that you can drop your bags the previous
evening for an early morning flight.
Use of "airport express" services is largely about marketing, not
performance. Something I'm sure I don't want to debate for the umpteenth
time with a usual suspect here. They don't understand, and never will.
Make your mind up: you've previously told us how much better HEx was, now
you say it's not much better in reality, and it's just marketing that makes
them so.
Oh dear, despite (or was it *because*) I said I didn't want to debate
it, up pops Mr Mole.

Anyway, it's better because people perceive it to be better than sharing
a train with drunks and pickpockets. I've said that many times before,
and will continue to do so. The "marketing", which you clearly can't
understand, despite it staring you in the face, is the branding.
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
They are seen by the public as insulated from the local urban transit
services which are likely to be populated with drunks, pick-pockets,
baggage snatchers, urine soaked people who haven't had a bath for weeks,
and so on. In two capital cities I visited when globe-trotting, my
employer insisted I didn't use the local transit system (and paid for
door to door limos) because of the perceived risk of kidnap.
Yes, I can think of several cities like that. But London isn't one of them.
International travellers don't know that. They have "one size fits all"
rule.
Post by Recliner
So a visitor arrives at Paddington on HEx. Then what are they supposed to
do?
The original plan was to get taxi the last couple of miles. Much cheaper
than a taxi all the way from Heathrow. Yes, the rank is now a bit
further away, Notwork Rail shooting themselves in the foot yet again.
Roland Perry
John Levine
2024-07-14 17:35:06 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Anyway, it's better because people perceive it to be better than sharing
a train with drunks and pickpockets. I've said that many times before,
and will continue to do so. The "marketing", which you clearly can't
understand, despite it staring you in the face, is the branding.
I dunno. With the touts selling the tickets, the tourists will assume
this is how you get into the city. It seems unlikely that a lot of
first time visitors will ask themselves "Is there a train running on
the same track that will get me closer to where I want to go that I
can pay for by tapping my credit card and is cheaper?"

Also, tourists gonna do what tourists gonna do, which is often what
they do at home. Once I was at a conference in Lyon with a young
fellow from California who rented a car at the airport, since that is
what you always do when you take a business trip in the U.S.
(Apparently he'd never been to New York.) He was impressively
unprepared for the city's narrow cobbled streets, so despite offering
us all rides, nobody accepted more than once. Fortunately, his wife
worked in a restaurant and had explained to him that what you do in
your free time in Lyon is eat and drink, so a good time was still had
by all.
Roland Perry
2024-07-14 19:23:36 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by Roland Perry
Anyway, it's better because people perceive it to be better than sharing
a train with drunks and pickpockets. I've said that many times before,
and will continue to do so. The "marketing", which you clearly can't
understand, despite it staring you in the face, is the branding.
I dunno. With the touts selling the tickets, the tourists will assume
this is how you get into the city. It seems unlikely that a lot of
first time visitors will ask themselves "Is there a train running on
the same track that will get me closer to where I want to go that I
can pay for by tapping my credit card and is cheaper?"
Who said tourists, and why ignore the very very obvious branding?
Post by John Levine
Also, tourists gonna do what tourists gonna do,
Which is to ignore the local metros with their drunks, pickpockets and
confusing pricing.
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2024-07-14 19:53:53 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Also, tourists gonna do what tourists gonna do,
Which is to ignore the local metros with their drunks, pickpockets and
confusing pricing.
The only metro I've come across with confusing pricing was Washington DC.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
John Levine
2024-07-14 22:48:29 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
I dunno. With the touts selling the tickets, the tourists will assume
this is how you get into the city. It seems unlikely that a lot of
first time visitors will ask themselves "Is there a train running on
the same track that will get me closer to where I want to go that I
can pay for by tapping my credit card and is cheaper?"
Who said tourists, and why ignore the very very obvious branding?
I must know different people. The ones I know are Americans who don't
have bad feelings about metros, they have no feelings at all. They
drive everywhere.
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Also, tourists gonna do what tourists gonna do,
Which is to ignore the local metros with their drunks, pickpockets and
confusing pricing.
The only metro I've come across with confusing pricing was Washington DC.
It dspends on distance and has higher rates at peak times, not unlike
LU but with weekly or monthly passes instead of capping. That doesn't
seem so unusual.
Graeme Wall
2024-07-15 06:14:25 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Also, tourists gonna do what tourists gonna do,
Which is to ignore the local metros with their drunks, pickpockets and
confusing pricing.
The only metro I've come across with confusing pricing was Washington DC.
It dspends on distance and has higher rates at peak times, not unlike
LU but with weekly or monthly passes instead of capping. That doesn't
seem so unusual.
Admittedly it's a while ago since I used it, but they still had
individual fares between each pair of stations and the peak periods
appear to vary according to which stations you were looking at. There
were three separate ticket machines, each dealing with a different
subset of tickets and the guys in the booth were not allowed to
volunteer information. Though they were very helpful once asked.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
John Levine
2024-07-15 18:42:29 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
The only metro I've come across with confusing pricing was Washington DC.
It dspends on distance and has higher rates at peak times, not unlike
LU but with weekly or monthly passes instead of capping. That doesn't
seem so unusual.
Admittedly it's a while ago since I used it, but they still had
individual fares between each pair of stations and the peak periods
appear to vary according to which stations you were looking at. There
were three separate ticket machines, each dealing with a different
subset of tickets and the guys in the booth were not allowed to
volunteer information. Though they were very helpful once asked.
That must have been a while ago. There's still a fare table, but it's
proportional to distance, and peak time is 0500-0930. Everyone pays
with a Smartrip card or phone app. For us old guys there is a
half price senior card, have to prove your age but you can live anywhere.
Commuters can put passes on their cards.

You have to use the card or app, can't pay with a credit card, but you
can set up the app and put money into it anywhere.

The San Francisco Clipper card works much the same, some agencies are
fixed fare, most distance based with tap in and out, senior card
availalble to anyone.
Graeme Wall
2024-07-15 19:32:24 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
[...]
2013, IIRC there was an afternoon peak as well, which meant trying to
work out when we expected to return. I think we paid with cash, which
was unusual even then.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Roland Perry
2024-07-16 07:39:41 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
The only metro I've come across with confusing pricing was Washington DC.
It dspends on distance and has higher rates at peak times, not
unlike LU but with weekly or monthly passes instead of capping. That
doesn't seem so unusual.
Admittedly it's a while ago since I used it, but they still had
individual fares between each pair of stations and the peak periods
appear to vary according to which stations you were looking at. There
were three separate ticket machines, each dealing with a different
subset of tickets and the guys in the booth were not allowed to
volunteer information. Though they were very helpful once asked.
I found it somewhat confusing when last using more than just the
CDG-Paris line in France, that concourses tended to have three TVMs in a
row next to one another. To be fair there are separate TVMs at places
like Kings Cross/StP for E*, domestic national rail and tube, but they
tend to be situated closer to the various gatelines, not in clump
nowhere near any.
Roland Perry
Roland Perry
2024-07-16 07:35:11 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
I dunno. With the touts selling the tickets, the tourists will assume
this is how you get into the city. It seems unlikely that a lot of
first time visitors will ask themselves "Is there a train running on
the same track that will get me closer to where I want to go that I
can pay for by tapping my credit card and is cheaper?"
Who said tourists, and why ignore the very very obvious branding?
I must know different people. The ones I know are Americans who don't
have bad feelings about metros, they have no feelings at all. They
drive everywhere.
I'm sure the reputation (perhaps fixed now to some extent) of the new
York City Metro are well known, and people I know in Atlanta think I'm
mad to MARTA instead of getting a cab. A metro I took advice to avoid
was Mexico City.
Post by John Levine
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
Also, tourists gonna do what tourists gonna do,
Which is to ignore the local metros with their drunks, pickpockets and
confusing pricing.
The only metro I've come across with confusing pricing was Washington DC.
It dspends on distance and has higher rates at peak times, not unlike
LU but with weekly or monthly passes instead of capping. That doesn't
seem so unusual.
Other things which can be confusing is whether you need a new ticket if
you change lines, and where you are allowed to often for only a fixed
period (eg half an hour). cf Time limits on TfL, especially OSIs.

When I was in London last Saturday, I got told off for using a National
Rail ticket to travel from Finsbury Park to Kings Cross on the Victoria
Line. Maybe I'm out of date, but I though the tickets on that (and
adjacent) flows were inter-available.

See also the long running debate about validators to change from TfL to
National Rail ticketing at places like SPILL.
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-16 08:36:42 UTC
On Tue, 16 Jul 2024 08:35:11 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
When I was in London last Saturday, I got told off for using a National
Rail ticket to travel from Finsbury Park to Kings Cross on the Victoria
Line. Maybe I'm out of date, but I though the tickets on that (and
adjacent) flows were inter-available.
Come on Roland, you've been around London enough to know thats not going to
work. IIRC you can only use NR on the tube if there's an NR service disruption
and LU have agreed to honour the ticket and for through tickets. You can't
use them for a standard tube journey.
Roland Perry
2024-07-16 10:20:47 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
When I was in London last Saturday, I got told off for using a National
Rail ticket to travel from Finsbury Park to Kings Cross on the Victoria
Line. Maybe I'm out of date, but I though the tickets on that (and
adjacent) flows were inter-available.
Come on Roland, you've been around London enough to know thats not going to
work.
I've been around long enough to remember when it did work.

The barriers at Kings Cross still refrain from grabbing a National Rail
ticket to "London Terminals" because of interavailability towards the
City on the tube.
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
IIRC you can only use NR on the tube if there's an NR service disruption
and LU have agreed to honour the ticket and for through tickets. You can't
use them for a standard tube journey.
That may the case for some flows now (but didn't see the announcements).

Anyway, here's a blogger from 2018 answering a question about Cambridge
to Moorgate:

You may take GTR's route into Kings Cross, St Pancras or Moorgate
and Greater Anglia's route into Liverpool Street.

The ticket is also valid on the Underground between Finsbury Park
Kings Cross St Pancras via the Piccadilly or Victoria Lines (but not
to alight at intermediate stations) and between Kings Cross St
Pancras and Moorgate via sub-surface or Northern Line (but not to
alight at intermediate stations except Old Street and Highbury &
Islington).

You cannot use Victoria Line from Tottenham Hale.

And apparently on page 60, here:

<https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/through_ticketing_non_travelc
ard/response/426790/attach/3/Through%20Ticketing%20Agreement%202000.pdf>
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-16 10:31:19 UTC
On Tue, 16 Jul 2024 11:20:47 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
IIRC you can only use NR on the tube if there's an NR service disruption
and LU have agreed to honour the ticket and for through tickets. You can't
use them for a standard tube journey.
That may the case for some flows now (but didn't see the announcements).
Anyway, here's a blogger from 2018 answering a question about Cambridge
You may take GTR's route into Kings Cross, St Pancras or Moorgate
and Greater Anglia's route into Liverpool Street.
The ticket is also valid on the Underground between Finsbury Park
Kings Cross St Pancras via the Piccadilly or Victoria Lines (but not
to alight at intermediate stations) and between Kings Cross St
Pancras and Moorgate via sub-surface or Northern Line (but not to
alight at intermediate stations except Old Street and Highbury &
Islington).
Only because its the same ticket barriers for NR and LU at moorgate so
they have no choice but to allow NR tickets. However thats not the case at
KX as you found out the hard way.
Roland Perry

Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-17 07:32:20 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
[...]
The behaviour of the ticket gates trumps whatever it says in some document
and given you also had an argument with one of the staff its fairly clear
the tickets are de facto not accepted on that route.
Roland Perry
2024-07-17 08:05:32 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
[...]
I'm inclined to think an official document is correct, vs a poorly
trained gateline operative. Yes, the tube gateline didn't accept the
ticket, but that's endemic for valid tickets across the network.
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-17 09:11:54 UTC
On Wed, 17 Jul 2024 09:05:32 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
The behaviour of the ticket gates trumps whatever it says in some document
and given you also had an argument with one of the staff its fairly clear
the tickets are de facto not accepted on that route.
I'm inclined to think an official document is correct, vs a poorly
trained gateline operative. Yes, the tube gateline didn't accept the
ticket, but that's endemic for valid tickets across the network.
If TfL is anything like the large organisations I've worked for then the
gateline programmers and the people who write the passenger info docs have
probably never even spoken to each other, but infomation has gone up one
branch of the management tree and down another and got corrupted in the
process.
Roland Perry
2024-07-17 11:31:43 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
The behaviour of the ticket gates trumps whatever it says in some document
and given you also had an argument with one of the staff its fairly clear
the tickets are de facto not accepted on that route.
I'm inclined to think an official document is correct, vs a poorly
trained gateline operative. Yes, the tube gateline didn't accept the
ticket, but that's endemic for valid tickets across the network.
If TfL is anything like the large organisations I've worked for then the
gateline programmers and the people who write the passenger info docs have
probably never even spoken to each other, but infomation has gone up one
branch of the management tree and down another and got corrupted in the
process.
It wouldn't take very long for someone to produce a crib-sheet for an
individual station like Kings Cross. They don't a need a summary of all
90 pages.
Roland Perry
Ken
2024-07-17 07:40:22 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
When I was in London last Saturday, I got told off for using a National
Rail ticket to travel from Finsbury Park to Kings Cross on the Victoria
Line. Maybe I'm out of date, but I though the tickets on that (and
adjacent) flows were inter-available.
Come on Roland, you've been around London enough to know thats not going to
work. IIRC you can only use NR on the tube if there's an NR service disruption
and LU have agreed to honour the ticket and for through tickets. You can't
use them for a standard tube journey.
It may have changed now but you could always use an NR ticket to
Liverpool St. on the parallel Central Line between Stratford and LST,
even if coming from the West Anglia line.
Recliner
2024-07-14 22:45:29 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
So a visitor arrives at Paddington on HEx. Then what are they supposed to
do?
The original plan was to get taxi the last couple of miles. Much cheaper
than a taxi all the way from Heathrow. Yes, the rank is now a bit
further away, Notwork Rail shooting themselves in the foot yet again.
You seem to have missed and snipped this part of my reply:

Roland Perry
2024-07-16 07:36:22 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
So a visitor arrives at Paddington on HEx. Then what are they supposed to
do?
The original plan was to get taxi the last couple of miles. Much cheaper
than a taxi all the way from Heathrow. Yes, the rank is now a bit
further away, Notwork Rail shooting themselves in the foot yet again.
So you're telling us that the opening of the EL shouldn't have
significantly reduced HEx usage compared to, say, 2018/19?
No, I wasn't telling you that.
Post by Recliner
Have you actually looked at the data?
No, but if you provide a cite (or even better post a summary) I'll read
it.
Roland Perry
Recliner
2024-07-16 12:44:55 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Have you actually looked at the data?
No, but if you provide a cite (or even better post a summary) I'll read
it.
This chart shows HEx's failure to produce a modal shift from taxis to rail
in the years before Covid. In fact, HEx+HCon had a declining share in the
decade before Covid (and it wasn't HCon that was shrinking), while taxis
had a growing share. So HEx has been facilitating a modal shift from rail
to taxis.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/303808/transportation-to-heathrow-airport-used-in-the-uk/

Fortunately, the Tube, despite being filled with 'drunks, pick-pockets,
baggage snatchers, and urine soaked people who haven't had a bath for
weeks', was far more successful, and grew its share. From carrying about
50% more passengers than HEx, it grew to about double the number (mainly
because of the decline in HEx, rather than its own growth).

In the first two years after Covid, the airport public transport share
fell, for obvious reasons, but it's now recovered — except for HEx, which
continues to fall. HEx volumes are down about 30% from the pre-Covid peak
and falling, compared to about 10% average decline for other rail services
(apart from the booming Liz). Meanwhile, the longer, more frequent, higher
capacity Elizabeth Line trains leave the airport packed.

So it seems that airport travellers are far more savvy than you give them
credit for.

I wonder how much longer HAL can keep pouring money down the HEx drain?
Recliner
2024-07-17 10:40:13 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
[...]
Of course, if HAL puts HEx out of its misery, and the EL fills the small
gap with four extra services per hour, formed from services that would
otherwise have reversed at Paddington, it will need a few extra 345s. How
fortunate that an order for 10 more 345s has just been placed!
Roland Perry
2024-07-17 12:48:28 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Have you actually looked at the data?
No, but if you provide a cite (or even better post a summary) I'll read
it.
This chart shows HEx's failure to produce a modal shift from taxis to rail
in the years before Covid. In fact, HEx+HCon had a declining share in the
decade before Covid (and it wasn't HCon that was shrinking), while taxis
had a growing share. So HEx has been facilitating a modal shift from rail
to taxis.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/303808/transportation-to-heathrow-a
irport-used-in-the-uk/
That's behind a paywall. (And yes I did try opening a "Basic" account).
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Fortunately, the Tube, despite being filled with 'drunks, pick-pockets,
baggage snatchers, and urine soaked people who haven't had a bath for
weeks', was far more successful, and grew its share. From carrying about
50% more passengers than HEx, it grew to about double the number (mainly
because of the decline in HEx, rather than its own growth).
It's not about "share", it's the absolute number of taxis (hackneys and
private hire) cabs taken of the roads.
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
In the first two years after Covid, the airport public transport share
fell, for obvious reasons, but it's now recovered — except for HEx, which
continues to fall. HEx volumes are down about 30% from the pre-Covid peak
and falling, compared to about 10% average decline for other rail services
(apart from the booming Liz). Meanwhile, the longer, more frequent, higher
capacity Elizabeth Line trains leave the airport packed.
So it seems that airport travellers are far more savvy than you give them
credit for.
It's not about being "Savvy". There was widespread misapprehension about
the role of HEx, which was never to compete with the much cheaper tube,
but to give a premium service to people who would otherwise use a taxi
(in order to reduce pollution and congestion on the M4 corridor and the
airport itself). And it rapidly succeeded in meeting all its performance
targets in that respect.
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
I wonder how much longer HAL can keep pouring money down the HEx drain?
What sort of financial deficit is HAL having to subsidise, currently?
Post by Recliner
Of course, if HAL puts HEx out of its misery, and the EL fills the small
gap with four extra services per hour,
It'll struggle to fill the gap for travellers with a "No city metro"
rule. So they'll be back in cabs.
Roland Perry
Recliner
2024-07-17 14:49:10 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Fortunately, the Tube, despite being filled with 'drunks, pick-pockets,
baggage snatchers, and urine soaked people who haven't had a bath for
weeks', was far more successful, and grew its share. From carrying about
50% more passengers than HEx, it grew to about double the number (mainly
because of the decline in HEx, rather than its own growth).
It's not about "share", it's the absolute number of taxis (hackneys and
private hire) cabs taken of the roads.
You keep trotting out that theory, but it simply isn't true. The Heathrow rail (ie, HEx+HCon) share of ground transport
was only 8% in 2019, so perhaps HEx was 6-7%. Taxis and mini cabs were 32% and the Tube 20%.

Now, with the switch of all HCon and a lot of HEx to the Liz, the HEx modal share is probably less than 5%. Even if all
its remaining passengers switched to taxis, nobody would notice (except HAL, which would make money from the drop-off
fees, rather than losing money on HEx).

As I said, the taxi and minicab share has gone up over the years (28% in 2012 to 32% in 2019, and the rail share has
gone down (11% to 8%), tanks to how unattractive HEx was. So, it was driving passengers from rail to road. It's achieved
the exact opposite of what you claim (inevitably, without ever checking the data).
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
[...]
So why are its passengers defecting in droves, first to cabs, and now to the Liz? Its journeys declined by 12% in the
first quarter of this year, compared to a year earlier.

https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/media/15nga1q4/passenger-rail-usage-jan-mar-2024.pdf

Or, if you prefer to go further back, HEx had 6.4m passengers in 2017/18, which was down to just 4.5m in 2023/24, its
lowest in many years (apart from the two Covid years). They're down to 1m in the first quarter of 2024 compared to the
peak of 1.6m in the same quarter in 2018, a decline of 38%. The business is simply fading away.

https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/statistics/usage/passenger-rail-usage/table-1223-passenger-journeys-by-operator/
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
I wonder how much longer HAL can keep pouring money down the HEx drain?
What sort of financial deficit is HAL having to subsidise, currently?
The most recent accounts for Heathrow Express Operating Company Limited were for 2022, before the Liz had an impact,
when it made a profit of £19.1m after tax. The Covid-impacted 2021 had a loss of £(17.4)m after tax.

In 2019, the last year before Covid, it made a profit after tax of £30m. In the year of its peak usage, 2018, it made a
profit after tax of £34.3m.

Looking at 2019's revenue of £118.4m, that's likely to be down to around £82m with the drop in usage, while operating
costs have probably risen from £84m to around £100m, so I estimate that the annual losses before tax are probably
£15-20m now.
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Of course, if HAL puts HEx out of its misery, and the EL fills the small
gap with four extra services per hour,
It'll struggle to fill the gap for travellers with a "No city metro"
rule.
There's obviously very few of those, perhaps about 1% of the Heathrow passengers.
Post by Roland Perry
So they'll be back in cabs.
No, the much greater capacity of the Liz is likely to move many passengers from cabs to rail. Switching four services
per hour from the unpopular, little-used HEx to the far more useful and popular Liz gives a big increase in capacity and
an improved frequency at almost all stops, and makes the rail option much more attractive overall.

So the best way to get a modal shift from cabs to rail is to shut HEx, and let TfL run four extra EL Heathrow services
per hour.
Roland Perry
2024-07-18 05:31:38 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by John Levine
The CAT in Vienna, which is much like HeX, premium express
that is not much faster than the local service on the same
still lets you check in at its city terminal. The one thing
that makes it somewhat attractive is that you can drop your
evening for an early morning flight.
Use of "airport express" services is largely about marketing,
performance. Something I'm sure I don't want to debate for
the umpteenth time with a usual suspect here. They don't
understand, and never will.
Make your mind up: you've previously told us how much better
HEx was, now you say it's not much better in reality, and it's
that makes them so.
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Fortunately, the Tube, despite being filled with 'drunks, pick-pockets,
baggage snatchers, and urine soaked people who haven't had a bath for
weeks', was far more successful, and grew its share. From carrying about
50% more passengers than HEx, it grew to about double the number (mainly
because of the decline in HEx, rather than its own growth).
It's not about "share", it's the absolute number of taxis (hackneys and
private hire) cabs taken of the roads.
You keep trotting out that theory, but it simply isn't true.
I keep trotting it out because it *is* true. I was a shareholder at the
time, and it was covered extensively in their annual reports. It gets a
little tiresome you keep trotting out a denial.
Post by Recliner
The Heathrow rail (ie, HEx+HCon) share of ground transport
was only 8% in 2019, so perhaps HEx was 6-7%. Taxis and mini cabs were 32% and the Tube 20%.
For the second or third time (and that only this week) the *share* is
utterly irrelevant. What matters is the absolute size of the on-going
modal shift from taxi to HEx.
Post by Recliner
Now, with the switch of all HCon and a lot of HEx to the Liz, the HEx
modal share is probably less than 5%. Even if all its remaining
passengers switched to taxis, nobody would notice (except HAL, which
would make money from the drop-off fees, rather than losing money on HEx).
We'll discuss the loss-making below.
Post by Recliner
As I said, the taxi and minicab share has gone up over the years (28%
in 2012 to 32% in 2019, and the rail share has gone down (11% to 8%),
tanks to how unattractive HEx was. So, it was driving passengers from
rail to road. It's achieved the exact opposite of what you claim
Modal shift fallacy again. And thanks for expanding on the data behind
the paywall, that always helps whoever's argument it supports. But what
we need are the absolute numbers (see below).

And it's ridiculous to claim HEx is "driving passengers away", what's
possibly wearing off is the price differential with taxis (much great
share of cheaper minicabs vs black cabs) and inflation in airfares
meaning the add-on cost of a taxi is less of an issue.
Post by Recliner
(inevitably, without ever checking the data).
I spot check it from time to time, thanks.
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
[...]
I've given a plausible reason for a drift to taxis, above. We don't know
how much the increase of the Liz is due to other factors, like a
reduction in bus, private car, former Heathrow Connect etc,
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
I wonder how much longer HAL can keep pouring money down the HEx drain?
What sort of financial deficit is HAL having to subsidise, currently?
The most recent accounts for Heathrow Express Operating Company Limited
were for 2022, before the Liz had an impact, when it made a profit of
£19.1m after tax.
OK, so as recently as that, still making a decent profit.
Post by Recliner
The Covid-impacted 2021 had a loss of £(17.4)m after tax.
As you keep telling us, Covid was an exceptional period.
Post by Recliner
In 2019, the last year before Covid, it made a profit after tax of
£30m. In the year of its peak usage, 2018, it made a profit after tax
of £34.3m.
Making a decent profit, as well as reducing the number of taxis on the
M4. Win-win.
Post by Recliner
Looking at 2019's revenue of £118.4m, that's likely to be down to
around £82m with the drop in usage, while operating costs have
probably risen from £84m to around £100m, so I estimate that the
annual losses before tax are probably £15-20m now.
Even if it gets as bad as that, it still supports the environmental
credentials of the airport, which very important in the "Third runway"
project.
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Of course, if HAL puts HEx out of its misery, and the EL fills the small
gap with four extra services per hour,
It'll struggle to fill the gap for travellers with a "No city metro"
rule.
There's obviously very few of those, perhaps about 1% of the Heathrow passengers.
Why is it "obvious", do you have any surveys which support that point of
view. I find it difficult to believe that only 20% of HEx passengers are
paying the extra because they are prepared to pay the extra just to get
a faster train than the tube, which they would happy to use otherwise.

I'd expect it to be more 80:20 the other way round: 80% would die rather
than use any metro, and 20% confident road warriors who want a faster
trip.
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
So they'll be back in cabs.
No, the much greater capacity of the Liz is likely to move many
passengers from cabs to rail. Switching four services per hour from the
unpopular, little-used HEx to the far more useful and popular Liz gives
a big increase in capacity and an improved frequency at almost all
stops, and makes the rail option much more attractive overall.
That's your opinion, but it's someone disjoint from the viability of HEx
as a stand-alone service.
Post by Recliner
So the best way to get a modal shift from cabs to rail is to shut HEx,
and let TfL run four extra EL Heathrow services per hour.
Is there any evidence the capacity constraints of EL is putting off
passengers?
Roland Perry
Recliner
2024-07-18 10:17:40 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
The Heathrow rail (ie, HEx+HCon) share of ground transport
was only 8% in 2019, so perhaps HEx was 6-7%. Taxis and mini cabs were
32% and the Tube 20%.
For the second or third time (and that only this week) the *share* is
utterly irrelevant. What matters is the absolute size of the on-going
modal shift from taxi to HEx.
As I've shown, rhe modal shift is in the other direction, from the
increasingly unpopular HEx to cabs.
Post by Recliner
As I said, the taxi and minicab share has gone up over the years (28%
in 2012 to 32% in 2019, and the rail share has gone down (11% to 8%),
tanks to how unattractive HEx was. So, it was driving passengers from
rail to road. It's achieved the exact opposite of what you claim
Modal shift fallacy again. And thanks for expanding on the data behind
the paywall, that always helps whoever's argument it supports. But what
we need are the absolute numbers (see below).
I've provided multiple links, and perhaps you know that it's not illegal
for you to do some research of your own?
Post by Roland Perry
And it's ridiculous to claim HEx is "driving passengers away", what's
possibly wearing off is the price differential with taxis (much great
share of cheaper minicabs vs black cabs) and inflation in airfares
meaning the add-on cost of a taxi is less of an issue.
Yes, that could well be, plus there's a lot of arriving passengers who fire
up their Uber app as soon as they land.
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
[...]
Obviously the Liz inherited all the former HCon traffic, as it took over
that service. The bus services are better than ever, with the SL services
proving very popular. Many people in the western suburbs are finding that,
for the first time, the bus is one of the best ways of getting to the
airport.
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
In 2019, the last year before Covid, it made a profit after tax of
£30m. In the year of its peak usage, 2018, it made a profit after tax
of £34.3m.
Making a decent profit, as well as reducing the number of taxis on the
M4. Win-win.
Even more of a win-win if it closes. More people will use the train, and
HAL will be better off.
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Looking at 2019's revenue of £118.4m, that's likely to be down to
around £82m with the drop in usage, while operating costs have
probably risen from £84m to around £100m, so I estimate that the
annual losses before tax are probably £15-20m now.
Even if it gets as bad as that, it still supports the environmental
credentials of the airport, which very important in the "Third runway"
project.
No, it's losing business to cabs. The best way of boosting the airport's
green credentials and reducing road traffic is to close HEx.

In any case, the third runway project seems to be dead.
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Of course, if HAL puts HEx out of its misery, and the EL fills the small
gap with four extra services per hour,
It'll struggle to fill the gap for travellers with a "No city metro"
rule.
There's obviously very few of those, perhaps about 1% of the Heathrow passengers.
Why is it "obvious", do you have any surveys which support that point of
view. I find it difficult to believe that only 20% of HEx passengers are
paying the extra because they are prepared to pay the extra just to get
a faster train than the tube, which they would happy to use otherwise.
I'd expect it to be more 80:20 the other way round: 80% would die rather
than use any metro, and 20% confident road warriors who want a faster
trip.
Such no-Metro people do exist, and they are conveyed by the likes of Black
Lane and Addison Lee. That's a far better, more private service than HEx,
and quicker to most locations. They handle your bags and take you
door-to-door in a nice, comfortable, shiny limo.
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
So they'll be back in cabs.
No, the much greater capacity of the Liz is likely to move many
passengers from cabs to rail. Switching four services per hour from the
unpopular, little-used HEx to the far more useful and popular Liz gives
a big increase in capacity and an improved frequency at almost all
stops, and makes the rail option much more attractive overall.
That's your opinion, but it's someone disjoint from the viability of HEx
as a stand-alone service.
Unlike you, I don't have an aversion to looking at the actual data. I
actually look for and analyse it, rather than relying only on decades-old
preconceptions.
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
So the best way to get a modal shift from cabs to rail is to shut HEx,
and let TfL run four extra EL Heathrow services per hour.
Is there any evidence the capacity constraints of EL is putting off
passengers?
Yes, the trains are packed. They need more services, running more
frequently. Each of those extra services will carry twice as many
passengers, much closer to their destinations, as the HEx services they
replace.

And maybe GWR will be able to run additional long-distance services using
the 4 tph paths vacated by HEx?
Graeme Wall
2024-07-18 12:18:53 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
So the best way to get a modal shift from cabs to rail is to shut HEx,
and let TfL run four extra EL Heathrow services per hour.
Is there any evidence the capacity constraints of EL is putting off
passengers?
Yes, the trains are packed. They need more services, running more
frequently. Each of those extra services will carry twice as many
passengers, much closer to their destinations, as the HEx services they
replace.
And maybe GWR will be able to run additional long-distance services using
the 4 tph paths vacated by HEx?
They can't if the Liz is already using the paths!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2024-07-18 12:45:35 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
So the best way to get a modal shift from cabs to rail is to shut HEx,
and let TfL run four extra EL Heathrow services per hour.
Is there any evidence the capacity constraints of EL is putting off
passengers?
Yes, the trains are packed. They need more services, running more
frequently. Each of those extra services will carry twice as many
passengers, much closer to their destinations, as the HEx services they
replace.
And maybe GWR will be able to run additional long-distance services using
the 4 tph paths vacated by HEx?
They can't if the Liz is already using the paths!
The HEx uses 4 Main Line paths per hour, but the Liz runs on the Reliefs. It currently uses 6 paths per hour, but I
think more are available. I don't think the Liz would use any Main Line paths, leaving the HEx paths free for GWR or
other open access operators.
Theo
2024-07-20 11:04:25 UTC
You keep trotting out that theory, but it simply isn't true. The Heathrow
rail (ie, HEx+HCon) share of ground transport was only 8% in 2019, so
perhaps HEx was 6-7%. Taxis and mini cabs were 32% and the Tube 20%.
Now, with the switch of all HCon and a lot of HEx to the Liz, the HEx
modal share is probably less than 5%. Even if all its remaining
passengers switched to taxis, nobody would notice (except HAL, which would
make money from the drop-off fees, rather than losing money on HEx).
As I said, the taxi and minicab share has gone up over the years (28% in
2012 to 32% in 2019, and the rail share has gone down (11% to 8%), tanks
to how unattractive HEx was. So, it was driving passengers from rail to
road. It's achieved the exact opposite of what you claim (inevitably,
without ever checking the data).
I think there's a fallacy looking at the stats here. A lot of people
travelling to Heathrow aren't coming from London. Obviously London is the
largest city, but LHR has a wide catchment as the airport with the widest
selection of flights, especially long haul. So the catchment is most of the
SE, and some people travel long distances on ground transport if their local
airport doesn't have good flight options.

If you're catching a morning flight and live in Hampshire or Hertfordshire,
Wiltshire or Cambs often your options are a series of trains, perhaps with a
cross-London transfer, or a taxi[*]. If there's several people travelling the
taxi may be more economical, especially in the peak, and will get you there
for a 7am flight which maybe the train won't.

HEx is basically of no use to those people. The EL makes some of those
cross London connections a bit easier, but if you come into mainline termini
other than Paddington or Liverpool St you still need to use the tube.

[*] technically speaking a minicab, which is often the only kind of taxi in
many local authorities. Everyone calls this a taxi.

If you're looking at stats for people coming from Zone 1, then I suspect the
numbers will be different. Unfortunately the source for those stats is
paywalled so we don't know any details about the survey.

Theo
Recliner
2024-07-20 11:33:17 UTC
Post by Theo
[...]
Even for most people in London, the HEx is irrelevant. It simply doesn’t go
anywhere near where they want to go. I live about 10 miles north of
Heathrow, and for me the options are bus, Tube or minicab. If travelling
with luggage, then it’s bus or minicab to a Tube station, then the
Piccadilly line, or an SL bus (which isn’t much slower than the Tube
outside rush hours). These days, I can also get a minicab to Ealing
Broadway, then the Liz.
Post by Theo
If you're catching a morning flight and live in Hampshire or Hertfordshire,
Wiltshire or Cambs often your options are a series of trains, perhaps with a
cross-London transfer, or a taxi[*]. If there's several people travelling the
taxi may be more economical, especially in the peak, and will get you there
for a 7am flight which maybe the train won't.
Yes, for two or more people, minicabs or Uber can be good value.

Another option popular with business or well-heeled private travellers is
pre-booked limo services, such as Black Lane or Addison Lee. There’s always
a crowd of their suited drivers holding up tablets waiting to collect
passengers emerging from Customs. Perhaps HEx was aimed at this market, but
it offers a far worse service.
Roland Perry
2024-07-20 12:17:40 UTC
Post by Theo
If you're catching a morning flight and live in Hampshire or Hertfordshire,
Wiltshire or Cambs often your options are a series of trains, perhaps with a
cross-London transfer, or a taxi[*]. If there's several people travelling the
taxi may be more economical, especially in the peak, and will get you there
for a 7am flight which maybe the train won't.
Good luck finding a train from the counties you mention, to get you to
Heathrow at 5am for that 7am flight.
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2024-07-20 13:44:01 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Theo
If you're catching a morning flight and live in Hampshire or
Hertfordshire,
Wiltshire or Cambs often your options are a series of trains, perhaps with a
cross-London transfer, or a taxi[*].  If there's several people
travelling the
taxi may be more economical, especially in the peak, and will get you there
for a 7am flight which maybe the train won't.
Good luck finding a train from the counties you mention, to get you to
Heathrow at 5am for that 7am flight.
If you allow an 0730 flight, I can do you one from Berkshire!
Specifically Didcot, arrives Reading 0439, RailAir bus 0456 arr LHR 0536.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Peter Johnson
2024-07-12 14:31:51 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping around
paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with some dirty tiles? who
cares - with lots of missed opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the
PO railway was ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
Then the interview with a suitably diversity box ticking LU driver who they've
had on before and asked more or less the same dull questions and more
viewing old plans in the acton depot. ZZzzzz....
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
As I reported in the previous thread on this programme, when I met Tim
last year he told me that it would be the last series, because they
had run out, or were running out, of secrets.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-12 14:57:53 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 15:31:51 +0100
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
As I reported in the previous thread on this programme, when I met Tim
last year he told me that it would be the last series, because they
had run out, or were running out, of secrets.
Except there's whole sections of the network they've not done (north branches of
nothern line, district richmond and kew branches, hainault loop, entire DLR
off the top of my head) and they can't be any less interesting than the tiles
in an old toilet.

Perhaps the producers should ask Geoff Marshall for tips.
Recliner
2024-07-12 16:43:55 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
As I reported in the previous thread on this programme, when I met Tim
last year he told me that it would be the last series, because they
had run out, or were running out, of secrets.
Except there's whole sections of the network they've not done (north branches of
nothern line, district richmond and kew branches, hainault loop, entire DLR
off the top of my head) and they can't be any less interesting than the tiles
in an old toilet.
I don't think they'd include the DLR, but as you say, there's still lots of
the LU network they've not covered. Certainly the steam history of the
Hainault loop would be interesting. There's been lots of changes in the
Hammersmith and Olympia area that might also be interesting.

I don't recall if they ever covered this little branch (a couple of
remnants of which can still be seen), just near the Museum Depot:
https://www.mylondon.news/news/nostalgia/tiny-london-underground-train-service-21629621

You can still see the short old platform, and even the abutment of the old
rail bridge over Bollo Lane:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/vAEk6MCTU3Lwt45v7?g_st=ic

Or, here's a mysterious appendage sticking out from what's now the
Piccadilly Line in South Harrow:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DaHunA1MbXgEgsed9?g_st=ic

It was, remarkably enough, a branch for coal trains to serve the local gas
works, open from 1910 to 1954. It later became famous when a PanAm 707
aiming for Heathrow mistook the gas holder for the similar one in Southall,
and managed to land at RAF Northolt by accident.

https://www.lurs.org.uk/articles13_htm_files/01%20EXPANDING%20THE%20GAS%20WORKS%20OR%20NOT.pdf

A Waitrose store now occupies the site. If it weren't for new flats in the
way, it could have had its own private LU station!
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-13 09:17:49 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 16:43:55 GMT
Post by Recliner
Or, here's a mysterious appendage sticking out from what's now the
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DaHunA1MbXgEgsed9?g_st=ic
I remember watching something about that but it might have been a Geoff
Marshall video.
Post by Recliner
It was, remarkably enough, a branch for coal trains to serve the local gas
works, open from 1910 to 1954. It later became famous when a PanAm 707
aiming for Heathrow mistook the gas holder for the similar one in Southall,
and managed to land at RAF Northolt by accident.
https://www.lurs.org.uk/articles13_htm_files/01%20EXPANDING%20THE%20GAS%20WORKS
%20OR%20NOT.pdf
A Waitrose store now occupies the site. If it weren't for new flats in the
way, it could have had its own private LU station!
Ditto Mill Hill East. Used to be a huge gasworks which IIRC used the branch
line to transport stuff to and from back in the day. Now its a housing
estate and also a Waitrose.
Roland Perry
2024-07-12 15:16:56 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping around
paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with some dirty tiles? who
cares - with lots of missed opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the
PO railway was ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
Then the interview with a suitably diversity box ticking LU driver who they've
had on before and asked more or less the same dull questions and more
viewing old plans in the acton depot. ZZzzzz....
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
As I reported in the previous thread on this programme, when I met Tim
last year he told me that it would be the last series, because they
had run out, or were running out, of secrets.
Yes, but probably secrets the Transport Museum have long had up their
sleeve. I'm sure there are many others that an "expert in uncovering
them" could find, if given the opportunity and having the skills.
Roland Perry
Recliner
I felt this week's programme was better, with plenty of stuff new to me.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-18 14:46:42 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 13:24:11 +0100
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping around
paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with some dirty tiles? who
cares - with lots of missed opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the
PO railway was ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
Then the interview with a suitably diversity box ticking LU driver who they've
had on before and asked more or less the same dull questions and more
viewing old plans in the acton depot. ZZzzzz....
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
I felt this week's programme was better, with plenty of stuff new to me.
It wasn't bad, but I still think if they didn't limit themselves mainly to
central london (ok, they did alperton recently) they'd have a lot more material.
Recliner
2024-07-18 15:23:52 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping around
paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with some dirty tiles? who
cares - with lots of missed opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the
PO railway was ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
Then the interview with a suitably diversity box ticking LU driver who they've
had on before and asked more or less the same dull questions and more
viewing old plans in the acton depot. ZZzzzz....
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
I felt this week's programme was better, with plenty of stuff new to me.
It wasn't bad, but I still think if they didn't limit themselves mainly to
central london (ok, they did alperton recently) they'd have a lot more material.
They seem to favour stations with long-disused areas that the public hasn't
seen in decades that Siddy can ceremonially unlock, and squeal with
delighted astonishment at the dusty tiles she's already researched. Those
stations tend to be underground, with a complicated history (eg, being
converted from lift to escalator access, or being extended to accommodate
another line). The suburban surface stations are much less likely to have
any of that. Even if they have been redeveloped, there's probably no sign
of the old stuff.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-18 16:04:51 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 15:23:52 GMT
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
It wasn't bad, but I still think if they didn't limit themselves mainly to
central london (ok, they did alperton recently) they'd have a lot more
material.
They seem to favour stations with long-disused areas that the public hasn't
seen in decades that Siddy can ceremonially unlock, and squeal with
delighted astonishment at the dusty tiles she's already researched. Those
stations tend to be underground, with a complicated history (eg, being
converted from lift to escalator access, or being extended to accommodate
another line). The suburban surface stations are much less likely to have
any of that. Even if they have been redeveloped, there's probably no sign
of the old stuff.
The whole tiles thing is becoming a bit dull, I doubt many people give a
monkeys frankly. Yes, the hidden stuff is interesting but they could do
some history too and some "fun facts" or whatever TV types like to call them.
Eg: The viaduct between finchley central and mill hill east is the highest
on the network.
Also I'm sure old victorian stations converted to become tube stations such
as on the High Barnet branch must have some hidden things.

And if they're going a bit off piste by looking at NR sites, why not the old
disused Croxley branch or some of the disused stuff in south london that
didn't get re-used by Tramlink? Then there's the old Island Gardens viaduct
on the DLR and other bits of old infrastructure the DLR used down in
Docklands.

Seems to me the producers need a bit more imagination.
Recliner
2024-07-18 16:24:04 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 15:23:52 GMT
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
[...]
It seems to be dictated by what info the Museum has, in terms of original
plans, old photos, artefacts, etc. Siddy is, after all, from the LTM.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-19 09:13:18 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 16:24:04 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
[...]
If they don't have artifacts from the old converted steam lines and the DLR
then they've been somewhat remise in their collecting.
Roland Perry
2024-07-18 18:22:25 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
[...]
That's the magic of TV. Unless it had been previously researched (by
who?) they wouldn't have paid for a TV crew to film it.

And here we have footage of Siddy being "So Excited" about finding
absolutely of interest in a cupboard.
Post by Recliner
Those stations tend to be underground, with a complicated history (eg,
being converted from lift to escalator access, or being extended to
accommodate another line). The suburban surface stations are much less
likely to have any of that. Even if they have been redeveloped, there's
probably no sign of the old stuff.
The signs are good. I recently purchased a very large original enamel
sign of Charing Cross, which is very likely to be from when the station
in question was renamed Embankment. All I have to do now (rather than
gloat about how relatively little I paid) is find somewhere to put it.
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2024-07-18 19:33:00 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
The signs are good. I recently purchased a very large original enamel
sign of Charing Cross, which is very likely to be from when the station
in question was renamed Embankment. All I have to do now (rather than
gloat about how relatively little I paid) is find somewhere to put it.
The downstairs loo is the traditional place…
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Roland Perry
2024-07-19 08:07:19 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
The signs are good. I recently purchased a very large original enamel
sign of Charing Cross, which is very likely to be from when the
station in question was renamed Embankment. All I have to do now
(rather than gloat about how relatively little I paid) is find
somewhere to put it.
The downstairs loo is the traditional place…
The sign is 5ft x 4ft and takes two people to carry. The only wallspace
in my downstairs loo is 3ft x 3ft.
Roland Perry
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-19 09:18:48 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 19:22:25 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
They seem to favour stations with long-disused areas that the public hasn't
seen in decades that Siddy can ceremonially unlock, and squeal with
delighted astonishment at the dusty tiles she's already researched.
That's the magic of TV. Unless it had been previously researched (by
who?) they wouldn't have paid for a TV crew to film it.
I think its time the TV production companies retired some of these tired
old tropes such as presenter feigning surprise at something thats clearly
been researched or for an object placed there so they can "discover" it.
Also the travelogue "I'm all alone here, its so peaceful" , except of course
from the cameraman, soundman, producer, fixer, optional security.

Micheal Palin was wickedly parodied in a cartoon (forget which, might have been
2DTV) to do with the latter.

Audiences are smarter now, a lot of them even make their own videos, so its
time TV caught up. Keith Floyd and Treasure Hunt both had the right idea 40
years ago involving the crew in the filming.
Recliner
2024-07-19 09:41:00 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
They seem to favour stations with long-disused areas that the public hasn't
seen in decades that Siddy can ceremonially unlock, and squeal with
delighted astonishment at the dusty tiles she's already researched.
That's the magic of TV. Unless it had been previously researched (by
who?) they wouldn't have paid for a TV crew to film it.
I think its time the TV production companies retired some of these tired
old tropes such as presenter feigning surprise at something thats clearly
been researched or for an object placed there so they can "discover" it.
Also the travelogue "I'm all alone here, its so peaceful" , except of course
from the cameraman, soundman, producer, fixer, optional security.
The thing that gets me is when the celebrity knocks on a door to be greeted
by a surprised host, who just happens to have the cameraman standing behind
him.
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Micheal Palin was wickedly parodied in a cartoon (forget which, might have been
2DTV) to do with the latter.
Audiences are smarter now, a lot of them even make their own videos, so its
time TV caught up. Keith Floyd and Treasure Hunt both had the right idea 40
years ago involving the crew in the filming.
Yes, that would make it more interesting.

I've been watching the Clive Myrie Caribbean series, where several episodes
were shot in Cuba. He gives the impression of freely visiting B&Bs, private
restaurants, 1950s car owners, etc, with no sign of the fixers and team of
government minders who are probably just out of shot. And most of the
people he meets speak some English, which is probably rare in Cuba, or have
some distant connection to the Cuban branch of his family, so they were
probably carefully sought out.

I once met a couple who had met Portillo when he was doing one of his
railway programmes. They did a good interview with him, and notified all
their friends and relatives when that episode was due to be aired. Sadly,
no trace of their interview made the final cut, as the producers probably
thought the other interviews that day were more interesting. They weren't
even visible in the background.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-19 11:27:50 UTC
On Fri, 19 Jul 2024 09:41:00 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I think its time the TV production companies retired some of these tired
old tropes such as presenter feigning surprise at something thats clearly
been researched or for an object placed there so they can "discover" it.
Also the travelogue "I'm all alone here, its so peaceful" , except of course
from the cameraman, soundman, producer, fixer, optional security.
The thing that gets me is when the celebrity knocks on a door to be greeted
by a surprised host, who just happens to have the cameraman standing behind
him.
That too!
Post by Recliner
I've been watching the Clive Myrie Caribbean series, where several episodes
were shot in Cuba. He gives the impression of freely visiting B&Bs, private
restaurants, 1950s car owners, etc, with no sign of the fixers and team of
government minders who are probably just out of shot. And most of the
people he meets speak some English, which is probably rare in Cuba, or have
some distant connection to the Cuban branch of his family, so they were
probably carefully sought out.
I watched his Italian series, didn't bother watching any more. If he wasn't
constantly refering to his wife back home he was trying too hard to be a
personality - laughing too loud, gurning, unfunny to the camera comments etc.
Presumably pushing back against his buttoned up 10 O'Clock News persona but it
got a rather boring.
Post by Recliner
I once met a couple who had met Portillo when he was doing one of his
railway programmes. They did a good interview with him, and notified all
their friends and relatives when that episode was due to be aired. Sadly,
no trace of their interview made the final cut, as the producers probably
thought the other interviews that day were more interesting. They weren't
even visible in the background.
THey probably have hours of film they need to condense into 30 mins but you'd
think after wasting someones time in an interview they could at least have
put them on screen for a few seconds.

Something that amuses me about Portillos programs is the obvoious use of a
crew bus behind the scenes to transport him about as he gets off trains with
no baggage at a station that is often miles from the place he actually visits.
Recliner
Yup, there must be a crew van for their luggage, camera gear, etc.
Marland
2024-07-19 13:11:00 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Fri, 19 Jul 2024 09:41:00 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I think its time the TV production companies retired some of these tired
old tropes such as presenter feigning surprise at something thats clearly
been researched or for an object placed there so they can "discover" it.
Also the travelogue "I'm all alone here, its so peaceful" , except of course
from the cameraman, soundman, producer, fixer, optional security.
The thing that gets me is when the celebrity knocks on a door to be greeted
by a surprised host, who just happens to have the cameraman standing behind
him.
That too!
During the the first week or two of transmissions from channel four a
programme was aired that was a sort of cross between a docudrama and who do
you think you are. It was made by somebody who had grown up in the
locality where I grew up but in the 1930’s but had gone onto carve a career
in what we would now call the media.

At one point late evening he knocks on the cottage door of an ancient
local who you could describe as rustic ,
the door was opened and the personality entered ,instead of closing the
door as expected the old boy just said “isn’t the lady holding the light
going to come in as well.”

GH
M***@dastardlyhq.com
Oops, someone hadn't read the script!
Graeme Wall
2024-07-19 14:06:14 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On 19 Jul 2024 13:11:00 GMT
Post by Marland
At one point late evening he knocks on the cottage door of an ancient
local who you could describe as rustic ,
the door was opened and the personality entered ,instead of closing the
door as expected the old boy just said “isn’t the lady holding the light
going to come in as well.”
Oops, someone hadn't read the script!
Female sparks? Wouldn't have happened in my day!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Roland Perry
2024-07-19 15:02:36 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I think its time the TV production companies retired some of these tired
old tropes such as presenter feigning surprise at something thats clearly
been researched or for an object placed there so they can "discover" it.
Also the travelogue "I'm all alone here, its so peaceful" , except of course
from the cameraman, soundman, producer, fixer, optional security.
The thing that gets me is when the celebrity knocks on a door to be greeted
by a surprised host, who just happens to have the cameraman standing behind
him.
Except they don't. There's only one camera, so they have to shoot it
[and every other conversation in that type of programme] twice, once
over the visitor's shoulder, then over the resident's shoulder.
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2024-07-19 15:53:50 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I think its time the TV production companies retired some of these tired
old tropes such as presenter feigning surprise at something thats clearly
been researched or for an object placed there so they can "discover" it.
Also the travelogue "I'm all alone here, its so peaceful" , except of course
from the cameraman, soundman, producer, fixer, optional security.
The thing that gets me is when the celebrity knocks on a door to be greeted
by a surprised host, who just happens to have the cameraman standing behind
him.
Except they don't. There's only one camera, so they have to shoot it
[and every other conversation in that type of programme] twice, once
over the visitor's shoulder, then over the resident's shoulder.
Not quite twice, the reverses just shoot the questions again.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Roland Perry
2024-07-20 06:01:48 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
I think its time the TV production companies retired some of these
tired old tropes such as presenter feigning surprise at something
thats clearly been researched or for an object placed there so
they can "discover" it. Also the travelogue "I'm all alone here,
its so peaceful" , except of course from the cameraman, soundman,
producer, fixer, optional security.
The thing that gets me is when the celebrity knocks on a door to be
greeted by a surprised host, who just happens to have the cameraman
standing behind him.
Except they don't. There's only one camera, so they have to shoot it
[and every other conversation in that type of programme] twice, once
over the visitor's shoulder, then over the resident's shoulder.
Not quite twice, the reverses just shoot the questions again.
That's how they do unrehearsed news interviews, but plenty of the
entertainment programs show whole conversations with the camera
"changing ends" in full flow, without that kind of stilted editing.
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2024-07-20 06:42:45 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
[...]
Normally by using two cameras.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Roland Perry
2024-07-20 07:58:36 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
[...]
No, because you'd see the other camera in plain view.

Straw poll: just watching "Yorkshire Auction House" and having loaded a
lot of items into the back of their van showed a conversation between
the auctioneer and the person who requested the house clearance, shot
from three separate angles, cutting from one to the other and back and
forth, purportedly in mid-conversation.

Except you'd have seen any "two other" cameras, and a show like that
simply doesn't have the budget for two, let alone three. Followed by a
series of shots from front/back/front/side of the van driving away, in
an empty street, with no second cameraman sticking out like a sore
thumb. They must have done that drive at least three times I think to
get the footage to splice together.

It's surprising how many USA sit-coms are shot with "single camera", so
much that ones with "two cameras" will typically get a mention of that
on fanzine sites.

Getting back to UK auction shows, occasionally they have continuity
errors, and one I remember had a conversation between two or three
people sat round a dining table in a saleroom, and depending on which
view they cut in there was, or wasn't, a particular object sat in the
middle of the table.

You get other technical glitches as a result of new programmes using
more and more green-screen presenters pretending to be on-site. For
example when the background freezes, but the reporter doesn't. The
Central Lobby at Westminster is a famous example, because what's there
is just a 'hidden' camera pointing towards the open space. That's why
passers-by never glance at the interviewer and interviewee, which they
certainly would if they were actually stood in the central lobby.
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2024-07-20 08:50:03 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
[...]
I've spent my professional life avoiding that scenario.
Post by Roland Perry
Straw poll: just watching "Yorkshire Auction House" and having loaded a
lot of items into the back of their van showed a conversation between
the auctioneer and the person who requested the house clearance, shot
from three separate angles, cutting from one to the other and back and
forth, purportedly in mid-conversation.
Except you'd have seen any "two other" cameras, and a show like that
simply doesn't have the budget for two, let alone three.
Cameras are cheap these days, especially when locked off without an
operator. In my day™ cameras cost £35-£40k each, nowadays a perfectly
good broadcast quality camera is under a grand. Quite often a member of
the production crew, eg producer or researcher, will operate the second
camera.
Post by Roland Perry
Followed by a
series of shots from front/back/front/side of the van driving away, in
an empty street, with no second cameraman sticking out like a sore
thumb. They must have done that drive at least three times I think to
get the footage to splice together.
That's a separate issue, and yes you do the driving shots in a number of
takes.
Post by Roland Perry
It's surprising how many USA sit-coms are shot with "single camera", so
much that ones with "two cameras" will typically get a mention of that
on fanzine sites.
Because most major USA productions are shot as though they were still
using film.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Roland Perry
2024-07-18 18:14:41 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping around
paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with some dirty tiles? who
cares - with lots of missed opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the
PO railway was ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
Then the interview with a suitably diversity box ticking LU driver who they've
had on before and asked more or less the same dull questions and more
viewing old plans in the acton depot. ZZzzzz....
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
I felt this week's programme was better, with plenty of stuff new to me.
Apart from it being at least half "No so secrets of National Rail
Stations" ?

And seriously, is the travelator from Waterloo to the Jubilee Line
station which would be better known as "Waterloo East", a secret?
Roland Perry
Recliner
2024-07-18 20:57:38 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
They do seem to be running out of ideas. The last show moping around
paddington was fairly boring - a disused toilets with some dirty tiles? who
cares - with lots of missed opportunities. THe conveyer belts thing for the
PO railway was ok but wouldn't a visit to the railway itself have been more
appropriate?
Then the interview with a suitably diversity box ticking LU driver who they've
had on before and asked more or less the same dull questions and more
viewing old plans in the acton depot. ZZzzzz....
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
I felt this week's programme was better, with plenty of stuff new to me.
Apart from it being at least half "No so secrets of National Rail
Stations" ?
Yes, though I think some of those spaces were shared with LT.
Post by Roland Perry
And seriously, is the travelator from Waterloo to the Jubilee Line
station which would be better known as "Waterloo East", a secret?
It wasn't presented as a 'secret', but a 'can you identify other examples'?
The Drain at Bank is probably not that well known to the average viewer.
Roland Perry
2024-07-19 14:53:29 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
I felt this week's programme was better, with plenty of stuff new to me.
Apart from it being at least half "Not so secrets of National Rail
Stations" ?
Yes, though I think some of those spaces were shared with LT.
And seriously, is the travelator from Waterloo to the Jubilee Line
station which would be better known as "Waterloo East", a secret?
It wasn't presented as a 'secret', but a 'can you identify other examples'?
That was just a teaser to stop people changing channels when the adverts
started.
Post by Recliner
The Drain at Bank is probably not that well known to the average viewer.
You seem a bit selective in your opinion of what the average viewer
(/passenger) knows.
Roland Perry
Recliner
2024-07-19 15:21:28 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
The Drain at Bank is probably not that well known to the average viewer.
You seem a bit selective in your opinion of what the average viewer
(/passenger) knows.
I realise that this is an alien concept to you, but I'm guided by facts, as
always.
Roland Perry
2024-07-20 08:05:38 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
The Drain at Bank is probably not that well known to the average viewer.
You seem a bit selective in your opinion of what the average viewer
(/passenger) knows.
I realise that this is an alien concept to you, but I'm guided by facts, as
always.
Where are the "facts" you have access to, when it comes to judging the
savvy-ness of the travelling/viewing public? I have feeling you are
mainly projecting yourself.
Roland Perry
Ken
2024-07-20 08:46:53 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
The Drain at Bank is probably not that well known to the average viewer.
You seem a bit selective in your opinion of what the average viewer
(/passenger) knows.
I realise that this is an alien concept to you, but I'm guided by facts, as
always.
Where are the "facts" you have access to, when it comes to judging the
savvy-ness of the travelling/viewing public? I have feeling you are
mainly projecting yourself.
Then I'll add an anecdote. I've been on the W&C line twice this year
with friends from my village. Neither had ever used it before.

I suppose quite a few of those living in SWR-land may know The Drain
but not elsewhere.
Recliner
2024-07-20 10:29:14 UTC
Post by Ken
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Recliner
The Drain at Bank is probably not that well known to the average viewer.
You seem a bit selective in your opinion of what the average viewer
(/passenger) knows.
I realise that this is an alien concept to you, but I'm guided by facts, as
always.
Where are the "facts" you have access to, when it comes to judging the
savvy-ness of the travelling/viewing public? I have feeling you are
mainly projecting yourself.
Then I'll add an anecdote. I've been on the W&C line twice this year
with friends from my village. Neither had ever used it before.
I suppose quite a few of those living in SWR-land may know The Drain
but not elsewhere.
Yes, it’s mainly used by SWR City commuters. That’s why it doesn’t even run
at weekends or public holidays. And its traffic is tiny compared to the
other lines: it has less than a quarter of the traffic of the ninth busiest
line. Like your friends, most Tube users have never had any reason to
travel on it. Those who only visit London at the weekend don’t even have
the option to use it.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-07-19 09:12:35 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 19:14:41 +0100
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
Post by Recliner
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
had on before and asked more or less the same dull questions and more
viewing old plans in the acton depot. ZZzzzz....
If it can't improve perhaps this series should be the last.
I felt this week's programme was better, with plenty of stuff new to me.
Apart from it being at least half "No so secrets of National Rail
Stations" ?
And seriously, is the travelator from Waterloo to the Jubilee Line
station which would be better known as "Waterloo East", a secret?
That section was rather scraping the barrel.