HEx vs EL
Recliner
2024-02-19 21:16:38 UTC
I arrived in Heathrow T5 this morning after a long flight, and decided to
take the Liz+Uber to get home. Ths is one of many options available to me,
but not one I've tried before.

At T5, a HEx was standing at one platform, and a Liz arrived on the other,
just as I did. I noted that the 387 was due to leave 8 mins earlier than
the 345, so took the former. The PIS and voice helpfully informed the pax
that the next station was Heathrow Central (true), followed by T5 (false,
but I assumed the system would be reset before departure). The train
departed, still with the PIS thinking we were approaching, not leaving, T5.
I tried to access the WiFi, but needed to register, so didn't bother. It's
a much smoother, quieter journey than on the Piccadilly along the same
route. I note that HAL still mentions express trains from that station, but
not the Liz.

At Heathrow Central, the 387 was still telling us that T5 was the next
station. I got off, and waited for the next Liz, which was from T4, just 4
mins later. It duly arrived, almost empty (but filled up). Its PIS was
working properly, and the WiFi was accessible without registering. I got
off at Ealing Broadway, where there's a large (dangerous with luggage?)
train-platform gap. Both lifts were working.

I used the Uber app which offered a car in 1 minute and told me where to
wait (not directly outside the minicab-hostile station). It duly arrived,
and got me home at exactly the predicted time. The driver drove well, and
loaded and unloaded the bags (unlike some Ubers), so earned himself a very
generous tip on top of the very reasonable fare.

This option cost me less than half the cost of a door-to-door minicab, and
far less than a pre-booked limo.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-02-20 09:20:46 UTC
On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 21:16:38 GMT
Post by Recliner
I arrived in Heathrow T5 this morning after a long flight, and decided to
Hows your carbon bootprint coming on this year?