Electric buses withdrawn in south London after fire
Graeme Wall
2024-01-13 16:26:43 UTC
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67967421>
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-01-13 16:36:10 UTC
On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 16:26:43 +0000
Post by Graeme Wall
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67967421>
Not the first time, probably won't be the last:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/transport-for-london-tfl-buses-fire-ta
ken-out-service-b1001775.html

It would seem that safe lithium battery charging is still a work in progress.
I suppose buses are more vulnerable to overheating during charging than cars
simply because of the much larger number of cells they contain so greater
probability of one going pop.
Recliner
2024-01-14 09:40:51 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67967421>
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/transport-for-london-tfl-buses-fire-ta
ken-out-service-b1001775.html
It would seem that safe lithium battery charging is still a work in progress.
I suppose buses are more vulnerable to overheating during charging than cars
simply because of the much larger number of cells they contain so greater
probability of one going pop.
The fire happened while the bus was in service, not on charge, so it might
have some other cause. But the fire was very fierce and long-lasting, so I
wonder if the evidence of the cause (eg, a wiring fault) was destroyed?
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-01-14 16:10:29 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
ken-out-service-b1001775.html
It would seem that safe lithium battery charging is still a work in progress.
I suppose buses are more vulnerable to overheating during charging than cars
simply because of the much larger number of cells they contain so greater
probability of one going pop.
The fire happened while the bus was in service, not on charge, so it might
have some other cause. But the fire was very fierce and long-lasting, so I
wonder if the evidence of the cause (eg, a wiring fault) was destroyed?
Looking at the flame thrower coming out of the back I wouldn't be surprised.
When these things go they really go. I wonder if the solid state batteries
that are said to be coming out in the next few years be more stable...
Recliner
2024-01-25 12:09:43 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67967421>
And, another one:

<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/25/electric-bus-flames-fire-putney-go-ahead-london-garage/>

An electric bus has burst into flames in London, just weeks after another
from the same fleet was engulfed, sparking panic among commuters.

Footage posted on social media shows a vehicle on fire inside a bus garage
in Putney on Wednesday.

One wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter: “Another London bus on fire,
this time inside a bus garage … What the hell is going on with our buses.”

Staff were reportedly evacuated as fire crews attempted to get the fire
under control.

The bus was operated by Go Ahead London, which has begun an investigation
into the incident.

It said a safety check of its 380-strong London bus fleet would be carried
out as a precaution.

The fire comes after an electric double-decker bus caught fire in
south-west London on Jan 11 during rush hour.
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-01-25 15:57:15 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 12:09:43 GMT
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67967421>
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/25/electric-bus-flames-fire-putney-go
-ahead-london-garage/>
An electric bus has burst into flames in London, just weeks after another
from the same fleet was engulfed, sparking panic among commuters.
Footage posted on social media shows a vehicle on fire inside a bus garage
in Putney on Wednesday.
One wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter: “Another London bus on fire,
this time inside a bus garage
 What the hell is going on with our buses.”
What is going on I suspect is that the batteries are being pushed to their
limits with charging speed and number of cycles. Quite possibly BYD who make
these bus chassis have not been 100% honest about their abilities.
Blueshirt
2024-01-25 16:02:19 UTC
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 12:09:43 GMT
Post by Recliner
One wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter: “Another London bus on
fire, this time inside a bus garage … What the hell is going on
with our buses.”
What is going on I suspect is that the batteries are being pushed
to their limits with charging speed and number of cycles. Quite
possibly BYD who make these bus chassis have not been 100% honest
about their abilities.
The latter is a distinct possibility.

I'm glad I have fallen for the hype and invested in an electric
car...
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-01-25 16:13:53 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:02:19 +0000
Post by Blueshirt
Post by M***@dastardlyhq.com
On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 12:09:43 GMT
Post by Recliner
One wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter: “Another London bus on
fire, this time inside a bus garage
 What the hell is going on
with our buses.”
What is going on I suspect is that the batteries are being pushed
to their limits with charging speed and number of cycles. Quite
possibly BYD who make these bus chassis have not been 100% honest
about their abilities.
The latter is a distinct possibility.
Its a shame euro bus manufacturers decided to sit on their arses and do
nothing about electric buses while the chinese gobbled up the market. Where
the hell were Volvo and Scania while this was happening?
Post by Blueshirt
I'm glad I have fallen for the hype and invested in an electric
car...
I assume you meant "haven't" :)

I wouldn't touch an electric car with a bargepole until the hopeless charger
situation is sorted out though I won't hold my breath. This petrol station I
occasionally drive past was rebuilt last year. How many chargers did they
install? Zero.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/GAzwYRqLXjzwkWgd9
Blueshirt
Yes!!! :-)
Theo
2024-01-26 13:26:34 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67967421>
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/25/electric-bus-flames-fire-putney-go-ahead-london-garage/>
An electric bus has burst into flames in London, just weeks after another
from the same fleet was engulfed, sparking panic among commuters.
What's interesting is that data gathering, funded by the Australian
government:
https://www.evfiresafe.com/ev-battery-fire-data

only counted 3 lithium ion battery fires on buses globally in the first half
of 2023 (the most recent data).

They only count battery fires, rather than fires in other parts of the
vehicle. For example in the heating or other parts of the electrical
system.

There are some limitations on data availability as their purpose is to have
verified data rather than anecdata, but either they aren't battery fires or
London is very misfortunate.

Theo
M***@dastardlyhq.com
2024-01-26 16:13:14 UTC
On 26 Jan 2024 13:26:34 +0000 (GMT)
Post by Theo
What's interesting is that data gathering, funded by the Australian
https://www.evfiresafe.com/ev-battery-fire-data
only counted 3 lithium ion battery fires on buses globally in the first half
of 2023 (the most recent data).
I find that very hard to believe.
Post by Theo
There are some limitations on data availability as their purpose is to have
verified data rather than anecdata, but either they aren't battery fires or
London is very misfortunate.
More likely their data gathering leads something to be desired. Bus
manufacturers and operators are hardly going to publicise a fire if they
can help it and they're certainly not going to report it to some 3rd party
group unless they have to.
Recliner
2024-01-26 18:44:27 UTC
Post by Theo
Post by Recliner
Post by Graeme Wall
[...]
Those figures definitely sound too low.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/26/the-electric-vehicle-fiasco-has-become-dangerous/

Extract:

When Sadiq Khan promised to clean up London’s air by introducing electric
buses, did he factor in the black smoke which poured out of the Number 265
as it burst into flames in Putney on Wednesday?

That followed two very similar fires in the past fortnight which consumed
vehicles from the same fleet. Paris has already had to withdraw a fleet of
electric buses after a couple of fires, while in Venice-Mestre last October
21 people died after an electric bus caught fire and plunged off a flyover.

The “race to net zero”, as the politicians like to describe it, isn’t just
expensive; it is dangerous. It isn’t only electric buses which burst into
flames, of course – Ken Livingstone’s infamous bendy buses also had a habit
of catching fire, and they were diesel-powered. But when electric vehicles
catch fire they can be a lot harder to put out due to “thermal runaway”
where one overheating cell leads to the neighbouring cell, setting off a
chain reaction.

With buses, the problem is even bigger than in cars because the batteries
are necessarily larger. The fires can’t be tackled in the same way as
petrol or diesel vehicle fires, and vehicles are in some cases being left
to burn themselves out.

———

Venice tourist bus plunge leaves 21 dead
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67001518