4G mobile coverage coming to the Tube
2021-06-22 21:22:05 UTC
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2021/june/mayor-fulfils-commitment-and-confirms-high-speed-mobile-coverage-across-tube-network
High speed mobile coverage will be delivered across London Underground
alongside a new full-fibre network to provide London's homes and businesses
with faster internet and better connectivity.
Customers on London Underground will be able to access full mobile
connectivity and internet access within every station and tunnel, the Mayor
of London has today announced.
TfL has awarded a 20-year concession to BAI Communications (BAI) which will
enable mobile coverage on the whole Tube network, helping to remove one of
the most high-profile mobile 'not-spots' in the UK.
The concession will see a backbone of mobile and digital connectivity
established across London.
Silly questions:

- I assume BAI Communications will be paying TfL, and not vice versa?

- Does this only apply in underground stations, or all LU stations?

- What happens to the current Virgin WiFi LU network?

- Will it work with all mobile networks, or only those that specifically
opt into it?

- I assume it includes SMS as well?
Tweed
2021-06-23 06:35:22 UTC
[...]
As I understand it BAI will charge the networks. But whether TfL get a fee
is another matter. Reading elsewhere it seems a lot of fibre is going in
which will also be used to service above ground installations. As 5G at
higher frequencies is dependent on having a huge number of base stations it
looks like this might be used as the backhaul.
Post by Recliner
- Does this only apply in underground stations, or all LU stations?
Presumably above ground stations already have coverage?
Post by Recliner
- What happens to the current Virgin WiFi LU network?
Probably will keep,running for a while. There’s still talk about extending
above ground Mayor of London provided Wi-Fi. However, it’s hard to see the
point for domestic users who are going to get ever more mobile network
provided data. However many overseas visitors, especially from outside of
Europe, get mightily stung for roaming data. So the Wi-Fi network may be
kept going to be tourist friendly.
Post by Recliner
- Will it work with all mobile networks, or only those that specifically
opt into it?
The primary operators are all signed up. Since the virtual operators
piggyback on their signals I guess they will also work. There is however
current evidence of virtual operators getting a second class service and
not being given access to all frequency bands that the primary operator
uses. It is one reason why I stick with Vodafone and not one of the
virtuals.
Post by Recliner
- I assume it includes SMS as well?
It would be hard to stop it.