Fares Fair fares
Clive D.W. Feather
2019-10-13 21:45:23 UTC
Does anyone remember what the actual fares were when "Fares Fair" was
introduced in 1981?

There were two overlapping zones in the central area, but I don't know
where exactly they covered or what the fares were.
Clive D.W. Feather
Robin
2019-10-14 06:27:33 UTC
Post by Clive D.W. Feather
Does anyone remember what the actual fares were when "Fares Fair" was
introduced in 1981?
There were two overlapping zones in the central area, but I don't know
where exactly they covered or what the fares were.
I thought I remembered but I saw I'd got the overlap badly wrong when I
looked at

<https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvcG9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==>

(click on the image for a bit better quality)
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2019-10-15 20:10:22 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Clive D.W. Feather
Does anyone remember what the actual fares were when "Fares Fair" was
introduced in 1981?
There were two overlapping zones in the central area, but I don't know
where exactly they covered or what the fares were.
I thought I remembered but I saw I'd got the overlap badly wrong when I
looked at
<https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvcG9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==>
(click on the image for a bit better quality)
How did one pay for the journey in 1981 and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?
jhk
tim...
2019-10-15 20:24:43 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Post by Robin
Post by Clive D.W. Feather
Does anyone remember what the actual fares were when "Fares Fair" was
introduced in 1981?
There were two overlapping zones in the central area, but I don't know
where exactly they covered or what the fares were.
I thought I remembered but I saw I'd got the overlap badly wrong when I
looked at
<https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvcG9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==>
(click on the image for a bit better quality)
How did one pay for the journey in 1981
almost certainly cash
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?
Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far

but definitely mag stripe

the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did they
still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?

2019-10-15 20:49:09 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
How did one pay for the journey in 1981
almost certainly cash
Coins.
Post by tim...
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?
Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far
but definitely mag stripe
Yes. Introduced for the Victoria Line I think.
Post by tim...
the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did
they still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?
They were yellow, but somewhat bigger footprint (and none of the
technology of) Edmondson.
2019-10-16 08:21:02 UTC
Post by tim...
the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did
they still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?
They were yellow, but somewhat bigger footprint (and none of the
technology of) Edmondson.
The experimental installations were mainly at the District line stations
between Hammersmith and Acton Town
installed in the few years before the Victoria line opened.

I felt a bit personally targeted by some of the publicity surrounding
these , I cannot remember the exact wording but it was roughly “
Londoners ,Impress your country cousins by your mastery of modern
technology
while you show them how to use the gate”.
Due to the death of my father I had recently stopped being a young Londoner
and got moved from the vicinity
of Chiswick to the country bumpkin status of a farm in Devon in withered
arm territory shortly before it became a couple of fingers.
After that visits to London were biannual and I well remember the feeling
of insult on reading that publicity that
appeared to imply Londoners were of superior intelligence.
Still ,judging by the Homes in the Country TV presentation it was Mother
and I who were predicting the future
as 5 decades later half the buggers in London seem to want to move down
there to escape the stress that they themselves have had a part in
creating.

While checking the dates I came across this excellent article on the ticket
machines and automatic gates on LT.

The yellow tickets come in about chapter 5

http://www.metadyne.co.uk/pdf_files/AFC4.pdf

2019-10-16 08:30:55 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
How did one pay for the journey in 1981
almost certainly cash
Coins.
notes if you paid at the "ubiquitous" ticket office
Post by tim...
the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did
they still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?
They were yellow, but somewhat bigger footprint
they weren't much bigger, and they were thinner
Post by Roland Perry
(and none of the technology of) Edmondson.
hence the reason that I said "Edmondson sized "

A later incarnation of LT tickets were credit card sized but with square
corners

And certainly not orange, IIRC red.

2019-10-16 15:46:40 UTC
Post by tim...
the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did
they still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?
They were yellow, but somewhat bigger footprint (and none of the
technology of) Edmondson.
Vaguely remember there were some green ones as well.
Richard
2019-10-16 19:01:07 UTC
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 16:46:40 +0100, Graeme Wall
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
How did one pay for the journey in 1981
almost certainly cash
Definitely! Perhaps the odd cheque...
They were yellow, but somewhat bigger footprint (and none of the
technology of) Edmondson.
Vaguely remember there were some green ones as well.
I think these were from older ticket machines (one per fare!) at
stations without ticket barriers, but other stations issued yellow mag
stripe (more like the whole of the back, and a bit sticky) even when
there were no barriers. The barrier paddles were, er, padded, and
some had a mode, long since disabled, where they would remain open
until anyone tried to go through without a ticket.

Some tickets, like the various rovers, were on larger card, not quite
the same as a credit card, and portrait orientation. I'm not sure
what barriered stations would issue these on, the same presumably.

By the time I was a regular passenger, Cubic had been round drilling
through anything of priceless historic interest and fitted all the
paraphernalia for UTS.

Richard.
Marland
2019-10-15 21:34:35 UTC
Post by Robin
<https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvcG9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==>
(click on the image for a bit better quality)
How did one pay for the journey in 1981
almost certainly cash
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?
Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far
but definitely mag stripe
the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did they
still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?
tim
Fairly sure they were still the yellow card tickets at that time with the
mag stripe on the back,
a personal recollection to fix the time was a rugby team visit to Paris and
the Metro was using similar
tickets but instead of one thick oxide stripe there were two thinner
ones,brought one back to London and out of curiosity tried in an LT gate
which as expected rejected it.
The Paris trip organised by Ian Allen travel used a Laker Airways DC 10 and
not too long before DC 10’s had been the subject of several incidents
resulting in them being grounded ,
So that trip must have been between when they were reinstated and Laker
ceasing operations.

Were they actually classed as Edmundson tickets ? I though they were quite
a bit longer.

2019-10-16 05:19:26 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by tim...
[...]
And on thinner card.
Trolleybus
2019-10-16 09:56:24 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by tim...
[...]
They were certainly more flexible than the green Edmundsons as they
needed to be passed through a roller-driver mechanism.

---
https://www.avg.com
tim...
2019-10-16 08:42:14 UTC
Post by Robin
<https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvcG9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==>
(click on the image for a bit better quality)
How did one pay for the journey in 1981
almost certainly cash
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?
Unfortunately my collection doesn't go back that far
but definitely mag stripe
the question is would that have been a credit card sized ticket or did they
still have Edmondson sized "Yellow" tickets then?
tim
Fairly sure they were still the yellow card tickets at that time with the
mag stripe on the back,
I can't remember

but did they have a thin stripe on the back

or did the "magnetic "bit cover the whole of the back of the ticket?
Post by Marland
a personal recollection to fix the time was a rugby team visit to Paris and
the Metro was using similar
tickets but instead of one thick oxide stripe there were two thinner
ones,brought one back to London and out of curiosity tried in an LT gate
which as expected rejected it.
The Paris trip organised by Ian Allen travel used a Laker Airways DC 10 and
not too long before DC 10’s had been the subject of several incidents
resulting in them being grounded ,
So that trip must have been between when they were reinstated and Laker
ceasing operations.
Were they actually classed as Edmundson tickets ? I though they were quite
a bit longer.
surely the deciding factor for Edmondson tickets was that they were
pre-printed with destination leaving date to be stamped on

"Yellow" tickets were printed onto a blank roll and cut to the required
length whilst being issued.

I don't have an LT ticket of the era in my collection, but I do have a Paris
one, and some Edmondson ones from heritage lines

The yellow ticket is the same width and about 8mm longer

and half the thickness (but that's obviously from a requirement for feeding
them through a machine)

tim
Trolleybus
2019-10-16 09:58:02 UTC
surely the deciding factor for Edmondson tickets was that they were
pre-printed with destination leaving date to be stamped on
The LT ones only had an implied destination. What they carried was the
origin and the fare paid. I think the term was simplified schematic.

---
https://www.avg.com
Bryan Morris

Bryan Morris
Graeme Wall
2019-10-15 20:28:18 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Clive D.W. Feather
Does anyone remember what the actual fares were when "Fares Fair" was
introduced in 1981?
There were two overlapping zones in the central area, but I don't know
where exactly they covered or what the fares were.
I thought I remembered but I saw I'd got the overlap badly wrong when I
looked at
<https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-8697?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvcG9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOCZsaW1pdD00OA==>
(click on the image for a bit better quality)
How did one pay for the journey in 1981 and what cind of ticket did
you get? Magnetic stripe?
IIRC they were yellow with a mag stripe, Either bought from a machine or
from a ticket office.
Clive D.W. Feather
2019-10-20 08:27:22 UTC
Post by Robin
I thought I remembered but I saw I'd got the overlap badly wrong when I
looked at
<https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/posters/item/2007-869
7?&apiurl=aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkubHRtdXNldW0uY28udWsvcG9zdGVycz9zaG9ydD0xJnNraXA9MjkyOC
ZsaW1pdD00OA==>
Thanks very much.
--
Clive D.W. Feather