St Pancras departures shown in KGX
2020-01-22 13:47:32 UTC
Apologies if this is old news, but I noticed yesterday that the Kings
Cross departures board now shows ECML Thameslink departures from St
Pancras:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49423851683/in/dateposted-friend/lightbox/>

I can't recall other instances of UK rail stations also showing
departures from other, adjacent stations, but perhaps there are some
that I'm not aware of.
Robin9
2020-01-23 15:00:24 UTC
That must be a fairly recent development. I never seen that
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart

2020-01-23 15:18:15 UTC
Post by Robin9
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.
Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination. For
example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.
Theo
2020-01-23 17:08:07 UTC
Post by Robin9
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.
Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination. For
example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.
Do they hide trains from St Pancras that are insufficiently soon? ie don't
show trains in less than N mins time, assuming it'll take that time for
someone to walk over from King's Cross?

Theo
Roland Perry
2020-01-24 08:27:40 UTC
Post by Robin9
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.
Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination. For
example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.
Do they hide trains from St Pancras that are insufficiently soon?
"too soon", perhaps. They certainly won't be using the normal published
'interchange time' which is 30 mins (although perhaps that's 15+15)

Can the OP say when his photo was taken?
Post by Theo
ie don't
show trains in less than N mins time, assuming it'll take that time for
someone to walk over from King's Cross?
I'll have a look, I'm going down to London today. [Watch out, everyone,
this usually means I jinx the schedules]

At Kings Cross they kind of do the reverse: only displaying the platform
number at the very last minute so everyone has to scurry. In the OP's
photo, all the KGX trains including 19:27 and later don't have a
platform number yet.

ps. Did everyone spot that the train in Platform 10 is a Thameslink?
There's still no news on if/when the Cambridge stoppers will start
going through the core, which is why passengers for some
intermediate stations still need to make the choice of which
terminus to patronise. For Cambridge (and Letchworth/Royston in the
peak) I think it's always quicker to wait for the next fast train.
2020-01-24 09:37:18 UTC
Post by Robin9
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.
Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination. For
example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.
Do they hide trains from St Pancras that are insufficiently soon?
"too soon", perhaps. They certainly won't be using the normal published
'interchange time' which is 30 mins (although perhaps that's 15+15)
Can the OP say when his photo was taken?
You can see for yourself from the exif info on the photo:
Date and Time (Original) - 2020:01:21 19:00:52

The camera clock will have been within a minute of the correct time, so I'd
have taken it between 19:00 and 19:02.
Roland Perry
2020-01-24 15:45:07 UTC
Can the OP say when his photo was taken?
Date and Time (Original) - 2020:01:21 19:00:52
The camera clock will have been within a minute of the correct time, so I'd
have taken it between 19:00 and 19:02.
I'm minded to say that the 19:16 would have disappeared at 19:01, so you
only just captured it.
Yes, could be, I didn't hang around to watch.
Roland Perry
2020-01-24 15:42:02 UTC
Post by Robin9
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.
Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination. For
example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.
Do they hide trains from St Pancras that are insufficiently soon?
"too soon", perhaps. They certainly won't be using the normal published
'interchange time' which is 30 mins (although perhaps that's 15+15)
Yes, just seen a St Pancras Service disappear from the board at Kings
Cross 15 minutes before its scheduled departure from SPILL
2020-01-24 15:54:02 UTC
Post by Robin9
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.
Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination. For
example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.
Do they hide trains from St Pancras that are insufficiently soon?
"too soon", perhaps. They certainly won't be using the normal published
'interchange time' which is 30 mins (although perhaps that's 15+15)
Yes, just seen a St Pancras Service disappear from the board at Kings
Cross 15 minutes before its scheduled departure from SPILL
Seems sensible. I suppose 10 mins might just work, but 15 saves people from
having to rush, possibly crossing the road unsafely.
Roland Perry
2020-01-23 15:29:28 UTC
Post by Robin9
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.
Not just the next train, but the first to arrive at their destination.
Agreed.
Post by Robin9
For example, it shows that there's a train boarding on platform 10 for
Cambridge, but there's one 10 mins later from St Pancras that gets to
Cambridge eight minutes earlier.
Or the 19:39 to Kings Lynn eight minutes later than that from Kings
Cross, which gets to Cambridge another ten minutes sooner.

Back in the day, the train a Platform 10 would have been signed for
Foxton, to stop tourists mistakenly catching it if they wanted
Cambridge.

I wonder when that stopped?
2020-01-23 15:16:02 UTC
Post by Robin9
That must be a fairly recent development. I never seen that
and I visit Kings Cross every few weeks. Obviously this will be
helpful for passengers needing to decide from which station
the next train will depart.
What they really need is to know is from which station the train that
gets them soonest to their destination departs.

Have they yet got signage like that for passengers heading for
Luton/Bedford to choose between the STP-MML upper platforms and
Thameslink-SPILL?
Clive D.W. Feather
2020-01-26 23:28:44 UTC
Apologies if this is old news, but I noticed yesterday that the Kings
Cross departures board now shows ECML Thameslink departures from St
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49423851683/in/dateposted-
friend/lightbox/>
I first noticed that on 28th March last year. I don't think I'd been to
King's Cross for a few months before that.
Post by Recliner
I can't recall other instances of UK rail stations also showing
departures from other, adjacent stations, but perhaps there are some
that I'm not aware of.
I have memories that whichever of Wigan and Warrington has the stations
very close to each other did it when I was there, many many years ago.
Clive D.W. Feather
Jeremy Double
2020-01-27 06:15:54 UTC
Post by Recliner
I can't recall other instances of UK rail stations also showing
departures from other, adjacent stations, but perhaps there are some
that I'm not aware of.
I have memories that whichever of Wigan and Warrington has the stations
very close to each other did it when I was there, many many years ago.
The Warrington stations (Bank Quay and Central) are not very close, about
10 to 15 minutes walk apart across the town centre. The Wigan stations are
about a couple of hundred yards distant.
Jeremy Double
Ian Clifton
2020-01-27 11:05:16 UTC
Apologies if this is old news, but I noticed yesterday that the Kings
Cross departures board now shows ECML Thameslink departures from St
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49423851683/in/dateposted-friend/lightbox/>
I can't recall other instances of UK rail stations also showing
departures from other, adjacent stations, but perhaps there are some
that I'm not aware of.
Coulsdon South shows departures from Coulsdon Town on a separate,
dedicated screen.
Ian ◎
D A Stocks
2020-01-27 21:15:17 UTC
Post by Ian Clifton
Post by Recliner
Apologies if this is old news, but I noticed yesterday that the Kings
Cross departures board now shows ECML Thameslink departures from St
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49423851683/in/dateposted-friend/lightbox/>
I can't recall other instances of UK rail stations also showing
departures from other, adjacent stations, but perhaps there are some
that I'm not aware of.
Coulsdon South shows departures from Coulsdon Town on a separate,
dedicated screen.
I don't know if it happens but other obvious candidates would be:
Whyteleafe and Upper Warlingham
Sanderstead and Purley Oaks

AFAIK a common feature of these Southern station pairs is that a ticket
to/from the London direction is also valid at the other station of the pair.

--
DAS