Twirly cards on TfL buses
2020-01-23 15:57:48 UTC
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?

Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.
2020-01-23 21:31:38 UTC
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?
Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.
As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.
Graham Harrison
2020-01-23 23:31:53 UTC
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 21:31:38 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?
Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.
As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.
I was in London last week and showed my Somerset card to several bus
drivers. They all simply nodded - no receipt. I believe I saw them
touch a button on their ticket device but can't be sure.
Recliner
Yes, I'm sure they touch a button, wasn't sure about the receipt.
MissRiaElaine
2020-01-24 00:17:47 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 21:31:38 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?
Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.
As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.
I was in London last week and showed my Somerset card to several bus
drivers. They all simply nodded - no receipt. I believe I saw them
touch a button on their ticket device but can't be sure.
Yes, I'm sure they touch a button, wasn't sure about the receipt.
When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.
--
Ria in Aberdeen

2020-01-24 00:49:36 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Recliner
Post by Graham Harrison
[...]
It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards aren't
valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your four drivers
was correct.
MissRiaElaine
2020-01-24 16:50:53 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.
It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards aren't
valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your four drivers
was correct.
You're no doubt right, but I thought it worth a try..! 3 out of 4 isn't
bad..!

Can't think why all of them aren't valid UK-wide, though.
--
Ria in Aberdeen

2020-01-24 19:55:15 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Recliner
Post by MissRiaElaine
When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.
It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards
aren't valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your
four drivers was correct.
You're no doubt right, but I thought it worth a try..! 3 out of 4 isn't
bad..!
Can't think why all of them aren't valid UK-wide, though.
Because transport is devolved to Scotland?
2020-01-24 20:17:18 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by MissRiaElaine
When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.
 It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards
aren't  valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your
four drivers  was correct.
You're no doubt right, but I thought it worth a try..! 3 out of 4
isn't bad..!
Can't think why all of them aren't valid UK-wide, though.
Because transport is devolved to Scotland?
Presumably the same applies to Wales and Ulster?
2020-01-24 20:29:32 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by MissRiaElaine
When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.
 It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly cards
aren't  valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last of your
four drivers  was correct.
You're no doubt right, but I thought it worth a try..! 3 out of 4
isn't bad..!
Can't think why all of them aren't valid UK-wide, though.
Because transport is devolved to Scotland?
Presumably the same applies to Wales and Ulster?
Yes

And, of course holders of local Twirly cards often get more freebies than
holders of national Twirly card holders.
Roland Perry
2020-01-24 20:45:26 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by MissRiaElaine
When we were in Warrington last year I asked drivers on the local buses
if my Scottish card was valid, fully expecting that it wouldn't be, but
hey, nothing ventured, etc. Of the four buses we travelled on, two
accepted it without question, one ummed and ahhed a bit before letting
me on, only one driver refused it. So if there's a common company
policy, not everybody seems to know it.
 It's not a company policy, but a UK-wide one: Scottish Twirly
cards aren't  valid in England, and vice versa. So, only the last
of your four drivers  was correct.
You're no doubt right, but I thought it worth a try..! 3 out of 4
isn't bad..!
Can't think why all of them aren't valid UK-wide, though.
Because transport is devolved to Scotland?
Presumably the same applies to Wales and Ulster?
https://www.traveline.cymru/concessionary-travel-pass/
<http://borderpeople.info/a-z/free-travel-scheme-for-senior-citizens-in-
northern-ireland.html>
2020-01-24 21:20:06 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by MissRiaElaine
[...]
That's interesting: I hadn't realised that there was an all-Ireland Twirly
card. It's another example of how NI is already more united with the
Republic than with GB.
Graeme Wall
2020-01-24 21:47:37 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by MissRiaElaine
[...]
I thought correctly.
Richard
2020-01-24 23:53:53 UTC
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 23:31:53 +0000, Graham Harrison
Post by Graham Harrison
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 21:31:38 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?
Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.
As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards. You show it to
the driver, who issues a receipt.
I was in London last week and showed my Somerset card to several bus
drivers. They all simply nodded - no receipt. I believe I saw them
touch a button on their ticket device but can't be sure.
There's no receipt. The button press is < 50% as well as far as I
have observed... There's no financial impact for TfL, I suppose.

Richard.

Roland Perry
2020-01-24 08:29:12 UTC
Quick question: do we expect TfL bus smartcard pads to read
regionally-issued ENCTS cards?
Cambs buses read my Cambs-issued one.
As far as I'm aware, the pads don't read non-London cards.
I suppose they *do* read ITSO cards with [outboundary] travelcards
loaded? Anyone tried?