Reading Is Now On The Tube Map
2019-12-04 11:47:19 UTC
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>

Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
2019-12-04 13:47:21 UTC
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
That must be the most geographically confusing part of the map ever! A
tourist might well think that Reading was a mere stroll from Northolt.

Anyway, that's a reminder for me to try out my Freedom pass on the new
route in about 10 days.
tim...
2019-12-04 17:22:16 UTC
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
That must be the most geographically confusing part of the map ever! A
tourist might well think that Reading was a mere stroll from Northolt.
Anyway, that's a reminder for me to try out my Freedom pass on the new
route in about 10 days.
even though I know that it's supposed to be valid

The freedom pass travel map doesn't appear to be updated to include it

tiom
Recliner
2019-12-04 17:24:44 UTC
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
That must be the most geographically confusing part of the map ever! A
tourist might well think that Reading was a mere stroll from Northolt.
Anyway, that's a reminder for me to try out my Freedom pass on the new
route in about 10 days.
even though I know that it's supposed to be valid
The freedom pass travel map doesn't appear to be updated to include it
Well, they won't be valid before the 15th, so it would be misleading to put
out the new map before then. I wonder how long it'll take them to get it
out after then?
Recliner
<https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2019/september/tfl-rail-to-operate-services-to-reading-from-15-december>
Recliner
2019-12-17 23:11:10 UTC
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
That must be the most geographically confusing part of the map ever! A
tourist might well think that Reading was a mere stroll from Northolt.
Anyway, that's a reminder for me to try out my Freedom pass on the new
route in about 10 days.
even though I know that it's supposed to be valid
The freedom pass travel map doesn't appear to be updated to include it
The map has now been updated:
<https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/download/file/fid/25897>

They've managed to do it without mangling the geography too much (apart
from river crossings).
Richard
2019-12-04 22:01:20 UTC
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
Apology accepted, I don't think it is! The map is getting ever more
'who runs it' than 'what is it', and to have Reading but not
Thameslink or Surbiton (of course) is ridiculous. It should be a map
of London's frequent rail services, extended to reasonable outlying
places like Shenfield, Watford, Dartford and Epsom and that's about
it. There have been maps like that, but I think this should be the
standard. Infrequent lines and stations could be shown differently to
avoid over-complication.

Richard.
Recliner
2019-12-04 22:20:35 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by Roland Perry
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
Apology accepted, I don't think it is! The map is getting ever more
'who runs it' than 'what is it', and to have Reading but not
Thameslink or Surbiton (of course) is ridiculous. It should be a map
of London's frequent rail services, extended to reasonable outlying
places like Shenfield, Watford, Dartford and Epsom and that's about
it. There have been maps like that, but I think this should be the
standard. Infrequent lines and stations could be shown differently to
avoid over-complication.
Yes, this map should be called the TfL trains map (obviously not TfL Rail,
as that's already used). It's crazy that it ignores the GN Moorgate line
and Thameslink. But there is a more complete map available:
<https://londonmap360.com/carte/pdf/en/london-rail-map.pdf>

I'm not sure how often this is updated.
Basil Jet
2019-12-04 22:41:11 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by Roland Perry
[...]
The tube map shows the Dangleway, so it's not just a rail map.
Sonic Youth - 1985 - Bad Moon Rising
Recliner
But not the buses, so it's not all TfL services either.
Marland
2019-12-05 00:04:51 UTC
Post by Richard
Post by Roland Perry
[...]
Ghosts of the American influence from the early years of the Combine still
at work .
Tramlink and its routes are shown and Americans call Cable Cars Aerial
Tramways.

GH
Rink
2020-01-11 01:09:48 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
I'm not sure how often this is updated.
When needed. Probably each year.
You showed the december 2013 version.

Here is the december 2019 version (with Reading on the map):
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

or the "large print":
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/large-print-tube-map.pdf

These maps and other you can find here:
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/tube

including the Night Tube and London Overground Map

Rink
Recliner
2020-01-11 01:54:16 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Recliner
I'm not sure how often this is updated.
When needed. Probably each year.
You showed the december 2013 version.
Is there a more up to date version?
Post by Rink
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf
That's a different map.
Post by Rink
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/large-print-tube-map.pdf
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/tube
You seem to be confused. Tube maps are not the same as rail maps. What
you've linked to is the new version of a completely different map.
Rink
Rink
2020-01-11 03:14:43 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Rink
including the Night Tube and London Overground Map
Rink
Recliner,

You're right. I linked to another map.

Here is the december 2019 version of the map you linked to:

<http://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf>

On this map there are two lines from Paddington to Reading:
- TfL Rail
- Great Western Railway

Rink
Recliner
2020-01-11 10:48:11 UTC
Post by Rink
Post by Recliner
Post by Rink
including the Night Tube and London Overground Map
Rink
Recliner,
You're right. I linked to another map.
<http://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf>
- TfL Rail
- Great Western Railway
Yes, and that's correct.

Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2019-12-05 07:34:18 UTC
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
Diamond Geezer's opinion on the new map:
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2019/12/tube-map-december-2019.html

"Where will it all end? Please make it stop."
jhk
Basil Jet
2019-12-05 08:49:26 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Post by Roland Perry
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2019/12/tube-map-december-2019.html
"Where will it all end? Please make it stop."
I'm reminded of the 1970s Paris Metro map that had the RER branch south
of the city bent along the southern edge of the map.

I guess the next edition will have the Reading branch bent southwards so
that Maidenhead, Twyford and Reading are shown south of the Thames.
Oasis - 2008 - Dig Out Your Soul
Recliner
2019-12-05 08:54:25 UTC
http://www.tubemapcentral.com/writing/webarticles/circles/Paris-1975-Lebre-map.jpg
That would be more accurate, but Heathrow gets in the way.
Graeme Wall
2019-12-05 09:33:26 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2019/12/tube-map-december-2019.html
"Where will it all end? Please make it stop."
I'm reminded of the 1970s Paris Metro map that had the RER branch south
of the city bent along the southern edge of the map.
http://www.tubemapcentral.com/writing/webarticles/circles/Paris-1975-Lebre-map.jpg
I guess the next edition will have the Reading branch bent southwards so
that Maidenhead, Twyford and Reading are shown south of the Thames.
They will bend the river to suit!
2019-12-05 09:54:21 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2019/12/tube-map-december-2019.html
"Where will it all end? Please make it stop."
I'm reminded of the 1970s Paris Metro map that had the RER branch
south of the city bent along the southern edge of the map.
http://www.tubemapcentral.com/writing/webarticles/circles/Paris-1975-Lebre-map.jpg
I guess the next edition will have the Reading branch bent southwards
so that Maidenhead, Twyford and Reading are shown south of the Thames.
They will bend the river to suit!
I've always thought the Lea should be shown on the tube map. It imposes
itself on travellers even more than the Thames does above their confluence.
Oasis - 2008 - Dig Out Your Soul
Recliner
Didn't TfL remove the Thames from the Tube map for a while?
David Walters
2019-12-05 11:02:56 UTC
I've always thought the Lea should be shown on the tube map. It imposes
itself on travellers even more than the Thames does above their confluence.
Didn't TfL remove the Thames from the Tube map for a while?
Yes, in 2009.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8259000/8259435.stm
Richard
2019-12-05 10:45:01 UTC
On Thu, 05 Dec 2019 08:34:18 +0100, Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Post by Roland Perry
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2019/12/tube-map-december-2019.html
"Where will it all end? Please make it stop."
The Geezer notes:

"Things to note
» [...]
» Residents of Taplow, Burnham, Langley, Iver and West Drayton no
longer have National Rail services."

I will have a rare disagreement with him, these *are* National Rail
services. TfL and their own staff may confuse the matter, but there's
no doubt about it.

Richard.
Recliner
2019-12-05 10:55:58 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2019/12/tube-map-december-2019.html
"Where will it all end? Please make it stop."
"Things to note
» [...]
» Residents of Taplow, Burnham, Langley, Iver and West Drayton no
longer have National Rail services."
I will have a rare disagreement with him, these *are* National Rail
services. TfL and their own staff may confuse the matter, but there's
no doubt about it.
Turning it round, what do the residents of those places lose from this
change, apart from the switch to less comfortable trains?
Rink
2020-01-11 01:21:51 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2019/12/tube-map-december-2019.html
"Where will it all end? Please make it stop."
"Things to note
» [...]
» Residents of Taplow, Burnham, Langley, Iver and West Drayton no
longer have National Rail services."
I will have a rare disagreement with him, these *are* National Rail
services. TfL and their own staff may confuse the matter, but there's
no doubt about it.
Richard.
Not anymore.
TfL took over the stopping services from GWR.
<https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2019/december/tfl-rail-will-operate-services-to-reading-from-15-december>

Rink
Recliner
It's still a National Rail service.
Basil Jet
2020-01-11 04:13:12 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
[...]
It has always been the case that the tube map only displays The Arrow Of
Indecision on stations with National Rail services which are not shown
on the map.
Bill Laswell - 1999 - Hashisheen.. The End Of Law
MissRiaElaine
2019-12-05 22:14:42 UTC
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
The only thing I regard as the "tube" are the deep level tunnels.
--
Ria in Aberdeen

2019-12-05 22:34:12 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Roland Perry
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
The only thing I regard as the "tube" are the deep level tunnels.
We know, as you've told us before. But most people who actually use the
system, and TfL itself, now generally call the whole LU system 'The Tube'.

Presumably you'd regard Crossrail as a Tube line? It will run through deep
bored tunnels under London, uses the same ticketing system, and has similar
style trains. All of its central London stations are shared with LU.
MissRiaElaine
2019-12-05 23:55:45 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Roland Perry
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
The only thing I regard as the "tube" are the deep level tunnels.
We know, as you've told us before. But most people who actually use the
system, and TfL itself, now generally call the whole LU system 'The Tube'.
Doesn't make them right.
--
Ria in Aberdeen

2019-12-06 00:17:50 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Recliner
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Roland Perry
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
The only thing I regard as the "tube" are the deep level tunnels.
We know, as you've told us before. But most people who actually use the
system, and TfL itself, now generally call the whole LU system 'The Tube'.
Doesn't make them right.
You have a particular snapshot of history. It's no more right or wrong than
any other snapshot of history.

But it's out of line with the present. I'd suggest that the millions of
contemporary Londoners outvote you.
Basil Jet
2019-12-06 04:03:02 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Recliner
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Roland Perry
<https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading>
Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".
The only thing I regard as the "tube" are the deep level tunnels.
We know, as you've told us before. But most people who actually use the
system, and TfL itself, now generally call the whole LU system 'The Tube'.
Doesn't make them right.
So the organisation which owns and runs the tube doesn't know what its
names are, and neither do any of the London media or the London-based
national media, but a retired bus driver in Aberdeen does.
Einstürzende Neubauten - 1981 - Kollaps
MissRiaElaine
2019-12-06 16:54:09 UTC
So the organisation which owns and runs the tube doesn't know what its
names are, and neither do any of the London media or the London-based
national media, but a retired bus driver in Aberdeen does.
A retired bus driver who grew up in London using the system, yes.
--
Ria in Aberdeen