Clock on a stick in Chessington
2012-05-26 08:17:30 UTC
A bus stop in Moor Lane has its own clock. Does anyone know why? The
time on it was correct when I was there, so someone is maintaining it.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.363588,-0.295714&spn=0.002026,0.004823&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.363663,-0.295997&panoid=msJdX41E32OAzhncg5EVhw&cbp=12,73.85,,1,2.9
e27002
2012-05-27 08:41:56 UTC
A bus stop in Moor Lane has its own clock. Does anyone know why? The
time on it was correct when I was there, so someone is maintaining it.
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.363588,-0.295714&spn=0.002026,0.00482...
How long has it been there? The obvious thought is that it would
relate to timekeeping. But, that would not be the way to go with the
technology now available.

I understand why London clings to Southwark, but isn't it time that
Chessington, Kingston, Surbiton et al where annexed back to Surrey?
Mizter T
No. Next question...
Offramp
2012-05-30 06:49:18 UTC
Umm... Can you eat it?
Basil Jet
You can, but it has a tendency to repeat on you every 12 hours.
77002
2012-05-30 07:25:53 UTC
Post by Mizter T
Post by e27002
I understand why London clings to Southwark, but isn't it time that
Chessington, Kingston, Surbiton et al where annexed back to Surrey?
No. Next question...
Umm... Can you eat it?
You can be sure the African American with the gold bling with have a
retort to that. Somebody be ready with the laughter clip.
Offramp
2012-05-27 10:26:57 UTC
It looks pretty old; was it there before the bus stop?
Annoyed of London
2012-05-29 23:05:33 UTC
It looks pretty old; was it there before the bus stop?
I live around the corner from the bus stop, and it was always in ful
working order everyday I went to school at Moor Lane from 1985 - 1989.

Even back then I was told it was a pretty old clock.

That piece of land has been a bus stop for at least 40 years, almos
certainly longer. Before route 71 came into existence, the 65 ran fro
Chessington Zoo to Ealing Broadway and served this stop on th
Chessington-bound journey

Annoyed of London
Basil Jet
2012-05-30 04:03:41 UTC
It looks pretty old; was it there before the bus stop?
I live around the corner from the bus stop, and it was always in full
working order everyday I went to school at Moor Lane from 1985 - 1989.
Even back then I was told it was a pretty old clock.
That piece of land has been a bus stop for at least 40 years, almost
certainly longer. Before route 71 came into existence, the 65 ran from
Chessington Zoo to Ealing Broadway and served this stop on the
Chessington-bound journey.
Thanks!
Peter Able
2021-02-28 15:15:50 UTC
Post by Annoyed of London
Post by Offramp
It looks pretty old; was it there before the bus stop?
Well it looks like it could be newer than the footpath's surfacing. Note
the patching.
Post by Annoyed of London
I live around the corner from the bus stop, and it was always in ful
working order everyday I went to school at Moor Lane from 1985 - 1989.
Even back then I was told it was a pretty old clock.
That piece of land has been a bus stop for at least 40 years, almos
certainly longer. Before route 71 came into existence, the 65 ran fro
Chessington Zoo to Ealing Broadway and served this stop on th
Chessington-bound journey
Your mention of route 65 reminds me of the conductor training at
Chiswick - 50+ years ago. The 65's fare chart was used during initial
training - and as part of the final, pass-out test. In those days the
route was Ealing Argyle Road to Norbiton. Many careers foundered - and
many more should have - over route 65...;}

PA