Meridian Water and Angel Road
2019-05-23 22:34:34 UTC
I set foot on Angel Road station today for the first, and last, time.

I was stunned by how close the new station is. I estimate about 2.5
carriage lengths between them, so about 50m. The world record for shot
put is 23m, so shot-putters on each station could maybe crash balls in
mid air. I think there exist staggered rural stations where the two
platforms are this far apart. I really don't understand why the station
was moved, rather than just given an additional southern entrance or
two... when I think of the endless struggles to get a Goblin station at
Tufnell Park, and here two new platforms are being built for no great
reason. The only thing I can think of is that there might not be room
for a *fourth* platform at the old site, but I'm pretty sure there's
room for three.

The old station could have easily had an entrance created just south of
the roundabout - this would be right next to the footbridge, and there
is a locked gate there facing the road with Network Rail written on it.
In fact, if you zoom in on Google Maps, you would think that this is the
only station access. In this picture
https://goo.gl/maps/Hfefht5T6p1ttUDH6 the muddy bit behind the gate is
Network Rail land where the extra 2 tracks for Crossrail 2 would go.
Behind that about a metre high is the station fence and the two
platforms, with the station footbridge on the right. Any Tesco or Ikea
staff who walk past this on their way into the old station every evening
would be annoyed as hell. Is this the original entrance, or was it a
temporary entrance created when the A406 was being upgraded? Obviously
the current entrance is on a bridge which is only a few decades old.

The cables, I think called auto-transformers, which run under the
footbridge are very close to the pedestrians on the stairs. There is
some sort of insulated protection, but it's misaligned in parts, and the
whole thing looks lethal. No point in worrying about it as the last day
of service starts in half an hour, but I wonder how many existing
stations have such flimsy and misaligned protection. It's visible in
as a horizontal structure two thirds
of the way up each staircase.
Animal Collective - 2018 - Tangerine Reef
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2019-05-24 11:19:34 UTC
The cables, I think called auto-transformers, which run under the
footbridge are very close to the pedestrians on the stairs. There is
some sort of insulated protection, but it's misaligned in parts, and the
whole thing looks lethal. No point in worrying about it as the last day
of service starts in half an hour, but I wonder how many existing
stations have such flimsy and misaligned protection. It's visible in
http://youtu.be/DvjjDlEQXVI as a horizontal structure two thirds
of the way up each staircase.
Those aren’t ATF cables, which carry 25 kV and are strung high above the
OLE; they are only present on new installations/upgrades of OLE and they go
into insulated cables in troughs under bridges.

They look rather more like the 'booster transformer' return cables, which
AIUI reach a max of 1500V and in a location like that I would expect the
cable to be insulated in its own right as well as supported by insulators.

2019-05-24 13:37:14 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Basil Jet
[...]
Thanks. I suppose if they are only 1500V then the insulation on them is
sufficient, and the extra protection is mostly to stop them being pulled
by aberrant umbrella hooks rather than to stop anyone being
electrocuted. That makes a lot more sense.
These New Puritans - 2010 - Hidden
Basil Jet
2019-05-28 20:20:40 UTC
According to GA's website, MW has not opened yet, although it is still scheduled to open today!
A driver told me MW opening is now scheduled for Monday 3rd June.

I just noticed that North Circular routes such as the 444 don't really
stop anywhere near the railway line. The westbound slip-road has a
bus-stop lay-by but no flag... I wonder if they'll reinstate the bus
stop when the STAR services start, and build something for the other
direction.
The Style Council - 1989 - Modernism.. A New Decade
Basil Jet
2019-06-03 14:47:24 UTC
According to GA's website, MW has not opened yet, although it is still
scheduled to open today!
A driver told me MW opening is now scheduled for Monday 3rd June.
It seems to be open now.
Slug - 2015 - Ripe
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2019-06-03 17:44:25 UTC
According to GA's website, MW has not opened yet, although it is still
scheduled to open today!
A driver told me MW opening is now scheduled for Monday 3rd June.
It seems to be open now.
Apparently the footbridge (and therefore the previously-discussed strange
protection around the OLE return conductor) have already been removed from
Angel Road.