Lendlease wins Euston HS2 development role
2018-02-23 10:12:21 UTC
<http://www.specificationonline.co.uk/articles/2018-02-22/network-rail/lendlease-wins-euston-hs2-development-role>
Roland Perry
2018-02-23 10:26:23 UTC
<http://www.specificationonline.co.uk/articles/2018-02-22/network-rail/l
endlease-wins-euston-hs2-development-role>
nee Bovis, it seems.
2018-02-23 11:12:55 UTC
Poor Euston. That totally harmless area of central London must be the most fucked up and fucked about neighbourhood in Britain.

If it is good - rip it out!! If it is bad, make it worse. Anything memorable, parochial or eye-catching must destroyed and pulverised.
tim...
2018-02-23 14:19:01 UTC
Poor Euston. That totally harmless area of central London must be the most
fucked up and fucked about neighbourhood in Britain.
If it is good -
the 1960s rebuild of Euston's crap.

Almost no-one thinks otherwise

2018-02-23 20:04:30 UTC
I cannot understand what you are saying. I am supposing that you are an Anti.
tim...
2018-02-23 21:02:35 UTC
If it is good -
the 1960s rebuild of Euston's crap.
Almost no-one thinks otherwise
I cannot understand what you are saying.
that the current Euston station is a dump that needs to be knocked down.
Post by Offramp
I am supposing that you are an Anti.
an anti what?

2018-02-23 11:18:46 UTC
It's a strange name for a company, Lendlease. It allows peoples' minds to wander back to the worst time in this country's history, when we held out a begging cap to FDR and were handed a wispy lifeline in return for massive concessions.

I can imagine some 14-year old history student reading about that episode and thinking, "THAT is what I'll call my company when I grow up."
Recliner
2018-02-23 11:42:00 UTC
It's a strange name for a company, Lendlease. It allows peoples' minds to
wander back to the worst time in this country's history, when we held out
a begging cap to FDR and were handed a wispy lifeline in return for massive concessions.
I can imagine some 14-year old history student reading about that episode
and thinking, "THAT is what I'll call my company when I grow up."
Perhaps it has different connotations in Australia?

The Times has a short piece about the many links between Sir David Higgins,
HS2 chairman, and Lendlease:

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hs2-bosss-old-firm-wins-euston-deal-362c8jzd7?shareToken=2cb30718f2c26bdd56852055afd46290>
martin
2018-02-23 21:33:04 UTC
It's a strange name for a company, Lendlease. It allows peoples' minds to wander back to the worst time in this country's history, when we held out a begging cap to FDR and were handed a wispy lifeline in return for massive concessions.
I can imagine some 14-year old history student reading about that episode and thinking, "THAT is what I'll call my company when I grow up."
well if you have seen some of the rubbish built over the last few years
at the Elephant you will see what they are about, Southwark sold them a
load of land, a council estate was demolished and the "luxury flats"
that have replaced it are of a higher density, closer together and of
course largely owned by people who are never going to live there. And
they succeeded in getting another company to produce a report proving it
was uneconomical to build any social housing, a common scam these days.
So there is almost no social housing there, and basically its the slums
of tomorrow being built today..... you may not agree with this analysis
but its commonly held here in Southwark. Lots of South London councils
appear to be in bed with developers, very much to the detriment of
council tenants and ordinary not millionaire people.
Martin
Graeme Wall
2018-02-23 13:12:25 UTC
<http://www.specificationonline.co.uk/articles/2018-02-22/network-rail/lendlease-wins-euston-hs2-development-role>
Well at least it isn't Carillion…
2018-02-23 13:27:48 UTC
<http://www.specificationonline.co.uk/articles/2018-02-22/network-rail/
lendlease-wins-euston-hs2-development-role>
Well at least it isn't Carillion
I was half expecting the story to be that LendLease had bought the
project off Carillion's receivers.
2018-02-23 14:34:37 UTC
<http://www.specificationonline.co.uk/articles/2018-02-22/network-rail/lendlease-wins-euston-hs2-development-role>
"combining Euston and Euston Square for the first time"

Interesting. What's the ETA on that bit?

Presumably the LU platforms won't be moved, but I'm presuming the
connection at Euston Square will come in at the near end, thus
shortening the interchange.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2015/07/12/3d-maps-of-every-underground-station-cdefg/
Roland Perry
2018-02-23 14:56:23 UTC
<http://www.specificationonline.co.uk/articles/2018-02-22/network-rail/
lendlease-wins-euston-hs2-development-role>
"combining Euston and Euston Square for the first time"
Interesting. What's the ETA on that bit?
Presumably the LU platforms won't be moved, but I'm presuming the
connection at Euston Square will come in at the near end, thus
shortening the interchange.
Last time this cropped up (about 2yrs ago) the prospect was one of
longer walks [part of my campaign against the railway industry
keep-fit-programme-for passengers] partly due to passive provision for
interchange with a future Crossrail 2 station also in the vicinity.
2018-02-23 17:24:54 UTC
<http://www.specificationonline.co.uk/articles/2018-02-22/network-rail/lendlease-wins-euston-hs2-development-role>
"combining Euston and Euston Square for the first time"
Interesting. What's the ETA on that bit?
Presumably the LU platforms won't be moved, but I'm presuming the
connection at Euston Square will come in at the near end, thus
shortening the interchange.
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2015/07/12/3d-maps-of-every-underground-station-cdefg/
Yes, the eastern end of the sub-surface platforms is close to Euston NR and
LU stations.