Tourists waste more than £100,000 getting between two closest Tube stops
tim...
2019-10-25 13:51:10 UTC
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/london-underground-tube-stops-close-covent-garden-leicester-square-tourists-a9170876.html

though I guess a lot of then will be using travel cards or expect to be
capped

I frequently see able bodied people getting a bus one stop round 'ere
(presumably with same effect)

tim
Recliner
2019-10-25 15:10:33 UTC
Post by tim...
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/london-underground-tube-stops-close-covent-garden-leicester-square-tourists-a9170876.html
though I guess a lot of then will be using travel cards or expect to be
capped
I doubt that tourists understand capping. The issue is that most tourists
navigate around just using the Tube map, and don't have much concept of how
the schematic diagram maps on to the real streets. They'd be scared of
getting lost/mugged/knocked down on the road.
Post by tim...
I frequently see able bodied people getting a bus one stop round 'ere
(presumably with same effect)
They might be taking advantage of hopper fares, which make that short
journey free, regardless of capping. Or they may have season tickets.
Roland Perry
2019-10-25 15:45:30 UTC
Post by tim...
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/london-underground-
tube-stops-close-covent-garden-leicester-square-tourists-a9170876.html
though I guess a lot of then will be using travel cards or expect to be
capped
Indeed.
Post by tim...
I frequently see able bodied people getting a bus one stop round 'ere
(presumably with same effect)
Google says it's a five minute walk, and that doesn't take account of
the delays crossing busy streets and weaving through the crowded
pavements. Assuming you know the way. Even though it's theoretically
"the same street", you can't see one station from the other.

Is it a slow news day?
Roland Perry
Peter Johnson
2019-10-25 16:29:55 UTC
Post by tim...
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/london-underground-tube-stops-close-covent-garden-leicester-square-tourists-a9170876.html
though I guess a lot of then will be using travel cards or expect to be
capped
I frequently see able bodied people getting a bus one stop round 'ere
(presumably with same effect)
I am sure that when I was a lad visiting from out of town, nearly 60
years ago, I bought tickets to travel from Charing Cross to
Embankment.
MissRiaElaine
2019-10-25 16:37:46 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by tim...
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/london-underground-tube-stops-close-covent-garden-leicester-square-tourists-a9170876.html
though I guess a lot of then will be using travel cards or expect to be
capped
I frequently see able bodied people getting a bus one stop round 'ere
(presumably with same effect)
I am sure that when I was a lad visiting from out of town, nearly 60
years ago, I bought tickets to travel from Charing Cross to
Embankment.
Back in the day I always used to get a Twin Rover ticket. All red buses
and the Underground, great value, why can't we have that now..? I
suppose it'd cost a bit more than 10/- though :-(
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Recliner
2019-10-25 22:11:41 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by tim...
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/london-underground-tube-stops-close-covent-garden-leicester-square-tourists-a9170876.html
though I guess a lot of then will be using travel cards or expect to be
capped
I frequently see able bodied people getting a bus one stop round 'ere
(presumably with same effect)
I am sure that when I was a lad visiting from out of town, nearly 60
years ago, I bought tickets to travel from Charing Cross to
Embankment.
Back in the day I always used to get a Twin Rover ticket. All red buses
and the Underground, great value, why can't we have that now..? I
suppose it'd cost a bit more than 10/- though :-(
You can get a day Travelcard, but it's certainly a lot more than 10/-. It
does include more than just buses and the Underground now.
tim...
2019-10-26 07:45:54 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by tim...
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/london-underground-tube-stops-close-covent-garden-leicester-square-tourists-a9170876.html
though I guess a lot of then will be using travel cards or expect to be
capped
I frequently see able bodied people getting a bus one stop round 'ere
(presumably with same effect)
I am sure that when I was a lad visiting from out of town, nearly 60
years ago, I bought tickets to travel from Charing Cross to
Embankment.
Back in the day I always used to get a Twin Rover ticket. All red buses
and the Underground, great value, why can't we have that now..? I
suppose it'd cost a bit more than 10/- though :-(
You can get a day Travelcard, but it's certainly a lot more than 10/-. It
does include more than just buses and the Underground now.
in 1968 10/- was a lot of money

I recall that, about that time, the short hop bus fare being 4d (2d child
fare)

If longer distances go up to 1/6d that's about the same multiple as the Z1-6
TC is now

tim
Trolleybus
2019-10-26 10:51:20 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by Recliner
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by tim...
[...]
Yes, but I paid child rate - did Ria? I remember 6/- being the cost of
a Twin Rover, with the bus-only Red Rover 3/- and then 3/6.

You needed to buy those tickets from an underground station or enquiry
office, unlke the Green Rover which was just an ordinary bus ticket,
issued by the conductor.
tim
MissRiaElaine
2019-10-26 14:55:51 UTC
Post by tim...
I recall that, about that time, the short hop bus fare being 4d (2d child
fare)
If longer distances go up to 1/6d that's about the same multiple as the Z1-6
TC is now
Yes, I'd forgotten about the child rate, I paid that until 1969, as the
child rate only applied until you were 14 back then :-(

Oops just given away my age.....

Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie about
their age or even refuse to pay altogether.

Although not the same thing, as these two were obviously under 16, I
remember once when I was bus driving, a couple of small girls, who
couldn't have been older than 12, paid about 20p for a fare that was at
least three times that. I didn't bother to argue, it was 7 in the
morning and I didn't have the energy.

When they came to get off, I said to them, 'ok, you've got away with it,
but just for my own curiosity, why do you do it..?' The answer remains
burned into my consciousness for all eternity:

'Because I f*****g can..!'

Times have certainly changed.....
--
Ria in Aberdeen

tim...
2019-10-26 18:58:56 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
I recall that, about that time, the short hop bus fare being 4d (2d child
fare)
If longer distances go up to 1/6d that's about the same multiple as the Z1-6
TC is now
Yes, I'd forgotten about the child rate, I paid that until 1969, as the
child rate only applied until you were 14 back then :-(
Oops just given away my age.....
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie about
their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
As I recall the problem wasn't lying about your age at 15

it was being believed that you were actually a child at 14

Though are you sure it was 14 and not 16?

tim
MissRiaElaine
2019-10-26 23:16:53 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
I recall that, about that time, the short hop bus fare being 4d (2d child
fare)
If longer distances go up to 1/6d that's about the same multiple as the Z1-6
TC is now
Yes, I'd forgotten about the child rate, I paid that until 1969, as
the child rate only applied until you were 14 back then :-(
Oops just given away my age.....
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie about
their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
As I recall the problem wasn't lying about your age at 15
it was being believed that you were actually a child at 14
Though are you sure it was 14 and not 16?
It was definitely 14 at some point, it did get raised to 16 but I'm not
100% sure when.
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Roland Perry
2019-10-27 06:01:04 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
Post by MissRiaElaine
Yes, I'd forgotten about the child rate, I paid that until 1969, as
the child rate only applied until you were 14 back then :-(
Oops just given away my age.....
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie
about their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
As I recall the problem wasn't lying about your age at 15
it was being believed that you were actually a child at 14
Though are you sure it was 14 and not 16?
It was definitely 14 at some point, it did get raised to 16 but I'm not
100% sure when.
Is it possible that the child rate tracked the school leaving age? The
only reason most children would have needed a bus was to get to school.

From Wikipedia: "In 1964, preparations began to raise the school leaving
age to 16. These were delayed in 1968, and eventually the decision was
taken in 1971 that the new upper age limit be enforced from 1 September
1972 onwards."
Roland Perry
tim...
2019-10-27 07:04:39 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
Post by MissRiaElaine
Yes, I'd forgotten about the child rate, I paid that until 1969, as the
child rate only applied until you were 14 back then :-(
Oops just given away my age.....
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie about
their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
As I recall the problem wasn't lying about your age at 15
it was being believed that you were actually a child at 14
Though are you sure it was 14 and not 16?
It was definitely 14 at some point, it did get raised to 16 but I'm not
100% sure when.
Is it possible that the child rate tracked the school leaving age? The
only reason most children would have needed a bus was to get to school.
I don't know about everybody else

but back in the 60s and early 70s when we went out with my mum outside of
school hours, we always went by PT
From Wikipedia: "In 1964, preparations began to raise the school leaving
Roland Perry
Roland Perry
2019-10-27 12:23:32 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by Roland Perry
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
Post by MissRiaElaine
Yes, I'd forgotten about the child rate, I paid that until 1969,
as the child rate only applied until you were 14 back then :-(
Oops just given away my age.....
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie
about their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
As I recall the problem wasn't lying about your age at 15
it was being believed that you were actually a child at 14
Though are you sure it was 14 and not 16?
It was definitely 14 at some point, it did get raised to 16 but I'm
not 100% sure when.
Is it possible that the child rate tracked the school leaving age?
The only reason most children would have needed a bus was to get to
school.
I don't know about everybody else
but back in the 60s and early 70s when we went out with my mum outside
of school hours, we always went by PT
We didn't use buses, but sometimes walked the two miles to the railway
station for a trip to London. By the time I was in secondary School I
cycled everywhere I wanted to go within perhaps a five mile radius.
Roland Perry
tim...
2019-10-27 13:33:31 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by tim...
Post by Roland Perry
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
Post by MissRiaElaine
[...]
with hindsight

I don't think my mum liked trains

we went by bus on journeys that were far more easily achieved by train

:-(
when out with my mates, yes, but not with family
Roland Perry
2019-10-27 15:30:04 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by Roland Perry
Post by tim...
Post by Roland Perry
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Roland Perry
station for a trip to London. By the time I was in secondary School I
cycled everywhere I wanted to go within perhaps a five mile radius.
when out with my mates, yes, but not with family
If it was the family, we'd go in the car.
Roland Perry
MissRiaElaine
2019-10-27 19:20:50 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
If it was the family, we'd go in the car.
We never had a car in our family until I was about 14 or 15. My dad had
an elderly Norton ES2 with a sidecar until then. When he eventually
bought a car, he sold the bike to a couple of lads from down the road.
They promptly took the sidecar off and went hurtling up and down at
ludicrous speeds for a bike that was NOT set up for solo use..! How they
never killed themselves is anybody's guess..!
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Graham Harrison
2019-10-27 07:53:55 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
Post by MissRiaElaine
Yes, I'd forgotten about the child rate, I paid that until 1969, as
the child rate only applied until you were 14 back then :-(
Oops just given away my age.....
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie
about their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
As I recall the problem wasn't lying about your age at 15
it was being believed that you were actually a child at 14
Though are you sure it was 14 and not 16?
It was definitely 14 at some point, it did get raised to 16 but I'm not
100% sure when.
Is it possible that the child rate tracked the school leaving age? The
only reason most children would have needed a bus was to get to school.
From Wikipedia: "In 1964, preparations began to raise the school leaving
age to 16. These were delayed in 1968, and eventually the decision was
taken in 1971 that the new upper age limit be enforced from 1 September
1972 onwards."
Once I passed the age of 14 I had a pass which allowed me to continue
to buy "child" fares on buses (can't remember if it also worked on the
Underground). I left school before 1972.
tim...
2019-10-27 09:04:22 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
Post by Roland Perry
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
Post by MissRiaElaine
Yes, I'd forgotten about the child rate, I paid that until 1969, as
the child rate only applied until you were 14 back then :-(
Oops just given away my age.....
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie
about their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
As I recall the problem wasn't lying about your age at 15
it was being believed that you were actually a child at 14
Though are you sure it was 14 and not 16?
It was definitely 14 at some point, it did get raised to 16 but I'm not
100% sure when.
Is it possible that the child rate tracked the school leaving age? The
only reason most children would have needed a bus was to get to school.
From Wikipedia: "In 1964, preparations began to raise the school leaving
age to 16. These were delayed in 1968, and eventually the decision was
taken in 1971 that the new upper age limit be enforced from 1 September
1972 onwards."
Once I passed the age of 14 I had a pass which allowed me to continue
to buy "child" fares on buses (can't remember if it also worked on the
Underground). I left school before 1972.
there was certainly no such pass available to me (if only to prove that I
was actually 14/15)

I would have been of official leaving age in 74
MissRiaElaine
2019-10-27 11:11:06 UTC
Post by Graham Harrison
Once I passed the age of 14 I had a pass which allowed me to continue
to buy "child" fares on buses (can't remember if it also worked on the
Underground). I left school before 1972.
Same here, left in 1971. First job was in Camden Town. Don't remember
those passes you mention, though.
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Graeme Wall
2019-10-27 07:42:23 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
I recall that, about that time, the short hop bus fare being 4d (2d child
fare)
If longer distances go up to 1/6d that's about the same multiple as the Z1-6
TC is now
Yes, I'd forgotten about the child rate, I paid that until 1969, as
the child rate only applied until you were 14 back then :-(
Oops just given away my age.....
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie about
their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
As I recall the problem wasn't lying about your age at 15
it was being believed that you were actually a child at 14
Though are you sure it was 14 and not 16?
It was definitely 14 at some point, it did get raised to 16 but I'm not
100% sure when.
Sometime in the mid 1960s IIRC
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Trolleybus
Much too late to be of any benefit to me, born in 1955.
MissRiaElaine
2019-10-27 11:12:03 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
It was definitely 14 at some point, it did get raised to 16 but I'm not
100% sure when.
Much too late to be of any benefit to me, born in 1955.
Same here, and it was definitely 14 at some point during my formative years.
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Peter Able
2019-10-28 19:38:55 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
I recall that, about that time, the short hop bus fare being 4d (2d child
fare)
If longer distances go up to 1/6d that's about the same multiple as the Z1-6
TC is now
Yes, I'd forgotten about the child rate, I paid that until 1969, as
the child rate only applied until you were 14 back then :-(
Oops just given away my age.....
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie about
their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
As I recall the problem wasn't lying about your age at 15
it was being believed that you were actually a child at 14
Though are you sure it was 14 and not 16?
It was definitely 14 at some point, it did get raised to 16 but I'm not
100% sure when.
God, I feel old - or are memories failing?

When I was a lad there wasn't an Embankment Station - just Trafalgar
Square and Charing Cross.

An the age threshold was 14 - as it was 14 when I was working for LT in
the early 70s.

PA
Peter Able
At which time the school leaving age was 15.
tim...
2019-11-28 18:05:37 UTC
Post by Peter Able
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
[...]
you've forgotten "Strand"

tim
Peter Able
2019-12-03 18:31:58 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by Peter Able
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by tim...
[...]
I guess, but weren't Trafalgar Square and that particular Strand just
different entry portals to one bakerloo/northern station complex?

When I was a lad !

PA
Roland Perry
2019-12-03 19:37:55 UTC
Post by Peter Able
Post by tim...
Post by Peter Able
When I was a lad there wasn't an Embankment Station - just Trafalgar
Square and Charing Cross.
you've forgotten "Strand"
tim
I guess, but weren't Trafalgar Square and that particular Strand just
different entry portals to one bakerloo/northern station complex?
When I was a lad !
Trafalgar Square was a free-standing Bakerloo Line station. The rather
long passage to the larger Charing Cross complex is relatively recent.
Perhaps when they built the short-lived Jubilee Line terminus.
Roland Perry
Roland Perry
2019-12-03 20:02:21 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Peter Able
Post by tim...
Post by Peter Able
When I was a lad there wasn't an Embankment Station - just
Trafalgar Square and Charing Cross.
you've forgotten "Strand"
tim
I guess, but weren't Trafalgar Square and that particular Strand just
different entry portals to one bakerloo/northern station complex?
When I was a lad !
Trafalgar Square was a free-standing Bakerloo Line station. The rather
long passage to the larger Charing Cross complex is relatively recent.
Perhaps when they built the short-lived Jubilee Line terminus.
Somewhere between 1977:

and 1985:

Roland Perry
Recliner
Yes, I think so.
Peter Able
2019-12-04 13:49:22 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Peter Able
Post by tim...
Post by Peter Able
When I was a lad there wasn't an Embankment Station - just Trafalgar
Square and Charing Cross.
you've forgotten "Strand"
tim
I guess, but weren't Trafalgar Square and that particular Strand just
different entry portals to one bakerloo/northern station complex?
When I was a lad !
Trafalgar Square was a free-standing Bakerloo Line station. The rather
long passage to the larger Charing Cross complex is relatively recent.
Perhaps when they built the short-lived Jubilee Line terminus.
Yes, I think so.
OK. Thanks for the correction.

PA
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2019-12-04 16:57:16 UTC
On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 18:31:58 +0000
Post by tim...
Post by Peter Able
When I was a lad there wasn't an Embankment Station - just Trafalgar
Square and Charing Cross.
you've forgotten "Strand"
It must have been amusing/annoying for Germans to come to London and see a
station called "Beach" and all they find there is a smog ridden road 300m
from the river.
tim...
2019-12-04 17:12:51 UTC
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 18:31:58 +0000
Post by tim...
Post by Peter Able
When I was a lad there wasn't an Embankment Station - just Trafalgar
Square and Charing Cross.
you've forgotten "Strand"
It must have been amusing/annoying for Germans to come to London and see a
station called "Beach" and all they find there is a smog ridden road 300m
from the river.
Like it's annoying/amusing for Brits to go to Germany and find a mountain
called W*nk

Or less controversially, find that in Norway they can go to Hell

tim
Basil Jet
2019-12-04 17:52:59 UTC
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 18:31:58 +0000
Post by tim...
Post by Peter Able
When I was a lad there wasn't an Embankment Station - just Trafalgar
Square and Charing Cross.
you've forgotten "Strand"
It must have been amusing/annoying for Germans to come to London and see a
station called "Beach" and all they find there is a smog ridden road 300m
from the river.
At least Morden won't disappoint.
--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Sonic Youth - 1985 - Bad Moon Rising
David Cantrell
2019-10-28 10:09:17 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Yes, I'd forgotten about the child rate, I paid that until 1969, as the
child rate only applied until you were 14 back then :-(
Oops just given away my age.....
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie about
their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
Hahahahahahahaha

People of all ages have been lying about their ages ever since
age-banded prices and admission were invented. I know people now in
their 80s who've talked happily about lying about their ages to bus
conductors, railway ticket clerks, publicans, cinemas, ... as well as
sneaking into places without paying.

Just like there are people who lie about being disabled today to take
advantage of cheaper tickets for eg theatres.
David Cantrell
Roland Perry
2019-10-28 10:43:57 UTC
Post by David Cantrell
Post by MissRiaElaine
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie about
their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
Hahahahahahahaha
People of all ages have been lying about their ages ever since
age-banded prices and admission were invented. I know people now in
their 80s who've talked happily about lying about their ages to bus
conductors, railway ticket clerks, publicans, cinemas, ... as well as
sneaking into places without paying.
Cicero nailed it in 43BC: 'Times are bad. Children no longer obey their
parents and everyone is writing a book.'

He would have said "is on social media" if it had been invented yet.
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2019-10-28 21:06:03 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by David Cantrell
Post by MissRiaElaine
Of course we were honest back then, nowadays the [censored] lie about
their age or even refuse to pay altogether.
Hahahahahahahaha
People of all ages have been lying about their ages ever since
age-banded prices and admission were invented. I know people now in
their 80s who've talked happily about lying about their ages to bus
conductors, railway ticket clerks, publicans, cinemas, ... as well as
sneaking into places without paying.
Cicero nailed it in 43BC: 'Times are bad. Children no longer obey their
parents and everyone is writing a book.'
He would have said "is on social media" if it had been invented yet.
A book was social media then.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Graeme Wall
2019-10-26 11:16:59 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by Recliner
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by tim...
[...]
And a pint of beer was 1/8d (1/10d in London) I remember complaining
when it got to 2/- (10p!)
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
MissRiaElaine
2019-10-26 14:58:10 UTC
And a pint of beer was 1/8d (1/10d in London)  I remember complaining
when it got to 2/- (10p!)
I did the same when a Wimpy burger went up from 1/9 to 2/- !
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Peter Able
2019-10-28 19:48:40 UTC
Post by tim...
Post by Recliner
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by tim...
[...]
10d a pint in the pub just over the road from the cinder path to Feltham MPD

But it was Watneys. To quote the old joke:

"This beer has been passed by the management"

PA
Roland Perry
2019-10-28 20:01:01 UTC
Post by Peter Able
10d a pint in the pub just over the road from the cinder path to Feltham MPD
"This beer has been passed by the management"
Or an even older one: "Why is a pint of Red Barrel like sex in a punt"

The answer includes the phrase "... close to water".
Roland Perry
Graeme Wall
2019-10-28 21:07:43 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Peter Able
10d a pint in the pub just over the road from the cinder path to Feltham MPD
"This beer has been passed by the management"
Or an even older one: "Why is a pint of Red Barrel like sex in a punt"
The answer includes the phrase "... close to water".
aka love in a canoe beer.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Trolleybus
2019-10-26 10:48:47 UTC
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 17:37:46 +0100, MissRiaElaine
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by tim...
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/london-underground-tube-stops-close-covent-garden-leicester-square-tourists-a9170876.html
though I guess a lot of then will be using travel cards or expect to be
capped
I frequently see able bodied people getting a bus one stop round 'ere
(presumably with same effect)
I am sure that when I was a lad visiting from out of town, nearly 60
years ago, I bought tickets to travel from Charing Cross to
Embankment.
Back in the day I always used to get a Twin Rover ticket. All red buses
and the Underground, great value, why can't we have that now..? I
suppose it'd cost a bit more than 10/- though :-(
But you couldn't go beyond Rickmansworth, which used to piss me off.
Ongar was OK, though.
Guy Gorton
2019-10-27 18:58:44 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by tim...
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/london-underground-tube-stops-close-covent-garden-leicester-square-tourists-a9170876.html
though I guess a lot of then will be using travel cards or expect to be
capped
I frequently see able bodied people getting a bus one stop round 'ere
(presumably with same effect)
I am sure that when I was a lad visiting from out of town, nearly 60
years ago, I bought tickets to travel from Charing Cross to
Embankment.
Back in the day I always used to get a Twin Rover ticket. All red buses
and the Underground, great value, why can't we have that now..? I
suppose it'd cost a bit more than 10/- though :-(
But you couldn't go beyond Rickmansworth, which used to piss me off.
Ongar was OK, though.
I have some photos I took of the last day of steam from Ricki and the
changeover from an electric loco to steam on a train to Aylesbury.
Very poor quality because I was very inexpert with the camera my
father-in-law had given me for taking slides.

Guy Gorton
MissRiaElaine
2019-10-27 19:23:43 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Back in the day I always used to get a Twin Rover ticket. All red buses
and the Underground, great value, why can't we have that now..? I
suppose it'd cost a bit more than 10/- though :-(
But you couldn't go beyond Rickmansworth, which used to piss me off.
Ongar was OK, though.
I lived on the Hainault Loop (Fairlop was the closest station) so I
never really got as far as Rickmansworth. I mainly used to beetle off to
Hounslow West and then the bus to Heathrow to do a bit of plane spotting
from the roof of the Queen's Building. Can you still do that, I wonder..?
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Marland
2019-10-27 20:06:37 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Back in the day I always used to get a Twin Rover ticket. All red buses
and the Underground, great value, why can't we have that now..? I
suppose it'd cost a bit more than 10/- though :-(
But you couldn't go beyond Rickmansworth, which used to piss me off.
Ongar was OK, though.
I lived on the Hainault Loop (Fairlop was the closest station) so I
never really got as far as Rickmansworth. I mainly used to beetle off to
Hounslow West and then the bus to Heathrow to do a bit of plane spotting
from the roof of the Queen's Building. Can you still do that, I wonder..?
Not from the Queens building, it. got demolished a few years back.
I often did the same trip taken by Gran from Turnham Green and a welcome
bonus was to be met by an Uncle who worked for BOAC and be taken around the
Hangers and sometimes onto an aircraft.
Back then Hounslow West was still served by District Line services as well.
In later years I explored London Solo or with a school chum on my visits
up there,
Never bought a rover for some reason, I did get a return from Ealing
Broadway to Ongar which must have been an unusual request as the clerk had
to hand write the ticket on a sheet from a pad.

GH

GH
Graeme Wall
2019-10-27 20:20:30 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Back in the day I always used to get a Twin Rover ticket. All red buses
and the Underground, great value, why can't we have that now..? I
suppose it'd cost a bit more than 10/- though :-(
But you couldn't go beyond Rickmansworth, which used to piss me off.
Ongar was OK, though.
I lived on the Hainault Loop (Fairlop was the closest station) so I
never really got as far as Rickmansworth. I mainly used to beetle off to
Hounslow West and then the bus to Heathrow to do a bit of plane spotting
from the roof of the Queen's Building. Can you still do that, I wonder..?
Regrettably no. For a while after it shut the spotters used to
congregate on the top floor of one of the short-stay multistory car
parks but I suspect that is not allowed post 9-11.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.
Recliner
2019-10-27 21:05:17 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by MissRiaElaine
Back in the day I always used to get a Twin Rover ticket. All red buses
and the Underground, great value, why can't we have that now..? I
suppose it'd cost a bit more than 10/- though :-(
But you couldn't go beyond Rickmansworth, which used to piss me off.
Ongar was OK, though.
I lived on the Hainault Loop (Fairlop was the closest station) so I
never really got as far as Rickmansworth. I mainly used to beetle off to
Hounslow West and then the bus to Heathrow to do a bit of plane spotting
from the roof of the Queen's Building. Can you still do that, I wonder..?
Regrettably no. For a while after it shut the spotters used to
congregate on the top floor of one of the short-stay multistory car
parks but I suspect that is not allowed post 9-11.
Myrtle Avenue, near Hatton Cross, is the preferred spot these days:

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18817472>

Of course, these days, much of the diversity of planes has gone. The vast
majority of planes are underwing twins, Airbuses and Boeings. Amost none
from other manufacturers, no triples, relatively few quads, few
rear-engined. And you don't need to be an expert to identify them: your
phone tells you all about all the planes, long before they're within sight
or sound.
MissRiaElaine
2019-10-27 23:04:35 UTC
Post by Recliner
Of course, these days, much of the diversity of planes has gone. The vast
majority of planes are underwing twins, Airbuses and Boeings. Amost none
from other manufacturers, no triples, relatively few quads, few
rear-engined. And you don't need to be an expert to identify them: your
phone tells you all about all the planes, long before they're within sight
or sound.
My phone doesn't..! Although my other half who's more into this these
days uses a website called flightradar24.com on the laptop to find out
what's going over here at any time, we often get helicopters to and from
the rigs and also air ambulances inbound to ARI (Aberdeen Royal
Infirmary) going over the rooftops at quite a low altitude..!

Sad to learn of the demise of the Queens Building, it must have been the
late 60's the last time I was there, so it's not surprising, I suppose.
I've only really been through Heathrow a handful of times in recent
years, and as it was usually at stupid o'clock I didn't take too much
notice of my surroundings...!
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Recliner
2019-10-28 00:44:59 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Recliner
Of course, these days, much of the diversity of planes has gone. The vast
majority of planes are underwing twins, Airbuses and Boeings. Amost none
from other manufacturers, no triples, relatively few quads, few
rear-engined. And you don't need to be an expert to identify them: your
phone tells you all about all the planes, long before they're within sight
or sound.
My phone doesn't..! Although my other half who's more into this these
days uses a website called flightradar24.com on the laptop to find out
what's going over here at any time, we often get helicopters to and from
the rigs and also air ambulances inbound to ARI (Aberdeen Royal
Infirmary) going over the rooftops at quite a low altitude..!
Yes, there are several plane spotter apps; I use Plane Finder.

They give you the identity, route, track, flight number, etc, of any flight
in the world. You can watch them coming down the glide slope, so you know
exactly what's incoming. Even if you see a plane at 40,000' you can easily
identify it, where it came from, where it's going, when the plane first
entered service, etc.

For example, the most recent plane to have overflown me was Qatar QR8133,
on its way from Liège to Mexico City. It's a 777F, A7-BFN, flying at
30,000'.
Post by MissRiaElaine
Sad to learn of the demise of the Queens Building, it must have been the
late 60's the last time I was there, so it's not surprising, I suppose.
I've only really been through Heathrow a handful of times in recent
years, and as it was usually at stupid o'clock I didn't take too much
notice of my surroundings...!
It was demolished about a decade ago, but the name sort-of lives on, as the
new Terminal 2, which occupies its site, is called The Queen's Terminal.
Mind you, I can't quite imagine HM ever actually using it, even if she uses
a public flight. She'd normally use Northolt, or the Royal Suite at
Heathrow.
Recliner
2019-11-05 15:03:52 UTC
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 23:04:35 +0000, MissRiaElaine
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Recliner
[...]
A follow up on plane spotting from the Queen's Building: last week,
while my departing plane was taxiiing from T3 to runway 9R, I was
lucky enough to grab a shot through my plane's dirty window of a smart
BEA jet that had just landed on 09R taxiing past an even smarter BOAC
747 parked at T5. You'd have seen a lot more like that in the late
1960s and early 1970s, though of course T5 didn't exist back then (and
my flight would have left from T1, not T3, in those days).

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49018981222/in/dateposted-friend/lightbox/>

I'd seen both those planes before, but not managed to photograph them
together.
Sammi Gray-Jones
2019-10-28 00:02:19 UTC
Post by Recliner
Of course, these days, much of the diversity of planes has gone. The vast
majority of planes are underwing twins, Airbuses and Boeings. Amost none
from other manufacturers, no triples, relatively few quads, few
rear-engined. And you don't need to be an expert to identify them: your
phone tells you all about all the planes, long before they're within sight
or sound.
When we lived in Düsseldorf my mother got very good at recognising the
different aircraft types, as they were low enough that you could read it
on the back of the 'plane.!
Recliner
Wow! That's *really* close.
MissRiaElaine
2019-10-28 17:39:34 UTC
Post by Recliner
Post by Sammi Gray-Jones
When we lived in Düsseldorf my mother got very good at recognising the
different aircraft types, as they were low enough that you could read it
on the back of the 'plane.!
Wow! That's *really* close.
Not as bad as Jasper Carrott's famous line about tyre marks on the roof..!
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Sammi Gray-Jones
Yup, about quarter of a mile.
Trolleybus
2019-10-28 11:32:59 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Back in the day I always used to get a Twin Rover ticket. All red buses
and the Underground, great value, why can't we have that now..? I
suppose it'd cost a bit more than 10/- though :-(
But you couldn't go beyond Rickmansworth, which used to piss me off.
Ongar was OK, though.
I lived on the Hainault Loop (Fairlop was the closest station) so I
never really got as far as Rickmansworth. I mainly used to beetle off to
Hounslow West and then the bus to Heathrow to do a bit of plane spotting
from the roof of the Queen's Building. Can you still do that, I wonder..?
I doubt it. But you've reminded me of my very first Red Rover in about
1968. We started at about 7.30 on a Sunday.

We went

41 from West Green Road to Horney Rise
14 to Kingston
Next bus to Hampton Court, which we visited.
285 to 'London Airport Central', then a spell on the roof of the
Queen's Buiding watching the Tridents and DC10s
140 to Mill Hill East
251 to Arnos Grove
84 to St. Albans
84 to somewhere south of St. Albans, where the driver was given six
bells so that we could be thrown off between stops for rowdiness
84 to Palmers Green
29 to Trafalgar Square
29 to Turnpike Lane
41 to West Green Road.

I think you'd struggle to fit half of that in, now.
Clive D.W. Feather
2019-10-28 19:25:13 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Peter Johnson
I am sure that when I was a lad visiting from out of town, nearly 60
years ago, I bought tickets to travel from Charing Cross to
Embankment.
That long ago it would have been from Strand to Charing Cross. The first
time you could get from Charing Cross to Embankment (other than by just
going down the connecting passageway) was 1979.

https://www.squarewheels.org.uk/rly/CHX-EMBconundrum/
Post by MissRiaElaine
Back in the day I always used to get a Twin Rover ticket. All red buses
and the Underground, great value, why can't we have that now..? I
suppose it'd cost a bit more than 10/- though :-(
I thought Red Rovers were 10/- and Twin Rovers were a pound. ICBWT; it
was long ago.
Clive D.W. Feather
John Levine
2019-10-26 19:01:21 UTC
Post by tim...
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/london-underground-tube-stops-close-covent-garden-leicester-square-tourists-a9170876.html
They're tourists. Isn't the idea to extract as much money from them as possible before
they leave?
Post by tim...
I frequently see able bodied people getting a bus one stop round 'ere
(presumably with same effect)
I look pretty able bodied, but with my senior railcard on my Oyster,
the local bus fares are usually 0p so why not.
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
tim...
2019-10-26 19:49:20 UTC
Post by tim...
I frequently see able bodied people getting a bus one stop round 'ere
(presumably with same effect)
I look pretty able bodied, but with my senior railcard on my Oyster,
the local bus fares are usually 0p so why not.
I use mine to go 2 stops

but never one

tim
Post by John Levine