95/96 stock in northfields depot
Add Reply
b***@wmhj39w_.edu
2019-03-20 08:53:34 UTC
As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone know
what its doing there?
Recliner
Brake testing?
Basil Jet
2019-03-20 16:02:51 UTC
Post by b***@wmhj39w_.edu
As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone know
what its doing there?
Brake testing?
That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.
--
Basil Jet - Current favourite song...
Spratleys Japs - Hands (Marc Riley session)

Recliner
2019-03-20 16:23:02 UTC
Post by b***@wmhj39w_.edu
As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone know
what its doing there?
Brake testing?
That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.
Yup, it's the dedicated test track where all LU stock goes to test any
changes to brakes, brake pad materials, etc. It's fairly easily accessed by
all the stock types, as well.
Basil Jet
2019-03-20 16:54:54 UTC
Post by b***@wmhj39w_.edu
As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone know
what its doing there?
Brake testing?
That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.
Yup, it's the dedicated test track where all LU stock goes to test any
changes to brakes, brake pad materials, etc. It's fairly easily accessed by
all the stock types, as well.
Can the 2009 stock fit through the Piccadilly Line bends at South Ken?
http://youtu.be/PTFmVrE1WAc
Recliner
2019-03-20 17:06:51 UTC
Post by b***@wmhj39w_.edu
As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone know
what its doing there?
Brake testing?
That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.
Yup, it's the dedicated test track where all LU stock goes to test any
changes to brakes, brake pad materials, etc. It's fairly easily accessed by
all the stock types, as well.
Can the 2009 stock fit through the Piccadilly Line bends at South Ken?
I think so, running very slowly, and ECS of course. It's too large to run
in service through the Piccadilly line tunnels, but was designed to fit for
stock transfers.
b***@sknyh4pulgk8d5y.gov.uk
2019-03-20 17:20:12 UTC
Post by b***@wmhj39w_.edu
what its doing there?
Brake testing?
That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.
Yup, it's the dedicated test track where all LU stock goes to test any
changes to brakes, brake pad materials, etc. It's fairly easily accessed by
all the stock types, as well.
Can the 2009 stock fit through the Piccadilly Line bends at South Ken?
I think so, running very slowly, and ECS of course. It's too large to run
in service through the Piccadilly line tunnels, but was designed to fit for
stock transfers.
You sure? I thought it was delivered by road to northumberland park because
it didn't fit. Seems a lot of effort if they could simply have dragged it from
Derby.
Recliner
2019-03-20 20:41:44 UTC
Post by b***@wmhj39w_.edu
what its doing there?
Brake testing?
That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.
Yup, it's the dedicated test track where all LU stock goes to test any
changes to brakes, brake pad materials, etc. It's fairly easily accessed by
all the stock types, as well.
Can the 2009 stock fit through the Piccadilly Line bends at South Ken?
I think so, running very slowly, and ECS of course. It's too large to run
in service through the Piccadilly line tunnels, but was designed to fit for
stock transfers.
You sure? I thought it was delivered by road to northumberland park because
it didn't fit. Seems a lot of effort if they could simply have dragged it from
Derby.
It was certainly delivered by road, probably to avoid the disruption of the
fleet crawling along the Central and Piccadilly lines. If they'd really
wanted to deliver by rail it would have been much easier to restore the
connection to the NR line thst runs alongside the Northumberland Park
depot.
b***@nqfbm096y7o8qwae58.net
2019-03-21 09:02:15 UTC
Post by b***@wmhj39w_.edu
[...]
True. There does seem to be conflicting information wrt the 2009 stock
depending on what source you read. Wikipedia says its wider than other tube
stock - it isn't, but what it does have is a clearly more vertical profile
on the sides before the body starts to curve over. I suspect bashing the tunnel
at the top of the doors on curves is probably the real issue.
Recliner
2019-03-21 10:20:12 UTC
Post by b***@wmhj39w_.edu
[...]
It's the same height as other tube stock, but 40mm wider than the 67 stock
it replaced, which was the previous widest stock. You may be right that the
tops of the doors could be the point of potential interference in tightly
curved tunnels.

If that's a real risk, one extreme measure could be to remove the doors of
a test train for an ECS move to Northfields. Another method might be to
lower the trains slightly, perhaps by loading them up with ballast.

In any case, the train would traverse the tight tunnels at a very low
speed, to minimise sway. I'd have thought that would be enough.
b***@lpkxxoif66j01ghfz4f.co.uk
2019-03-21 16:10:14 UTC
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 10:20:12 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Recliner
Post by b***@nqfbm096y7o8qwae58.net
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 20:41:44 -0000 (UTC)
True. There does seem to be conflicting information wrt the 2009 stock
depending on what source you read. Wikipedia says its wider than other tube
stock - it isn't, but what it does have is a clearly more vertical profile
on the sides before the body starts to curve over. I suspect bashing the
tunnel
Post by b***@nqfbm096y7o8qwae58.net
at the top of the doors on curves is probably the real issue.
It's the same height as other tube stock, but 40mm wider than the 67 stock
it replaced, which was the previous widest stock. You may be right that the
That depends on which part of wikipedia you believe. The text says its wider
but it says 8ft 7in for the width, whereas the width for the 1967 stock was
apparently 8ft 8in. You pays your money....

I suspect only Bombardier and a few test guys really know.
Basil Jet
2019-03-21 16:20:53 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
The real question is where do 2009 stock actually get their brakes tested.
http://youtu.be/PTFmVrE1WAc
b***@tq_sfb.org
2019-03-21 16:27:12 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
At every station. The ATO doesn't mess about, finesse is not part of its
programming :)
Recliner
2019-03-21 17:13:49 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
Yes, the Northfields test track is really about testing new brake designs
or materials, particularly in wet conditions. It's not for routine testing
of existing trains.

As the Victoria line is entirely underground, it doesn't need tests in
simulated rainy conditions, so maybe the 2009 stock has no need to be
tested there.
Roland Perry
2019-03-21 18:37:13 UTC
As the Victoria line is entirely underground,
Apart from the depot at Northumberland Park.
2019-03-21 22:46:49 UTC
Yes, we know — why do you think I worded my comment the way I did?
Roland Perry
2019-03-22 15:38:52 UTC
As the Victoria line is entirely underground,
Apart from the depot at Northumberland Park.
Yes, we know — why do you think I worded my comment the way I did?
I have no idea. It was almost suggesting that efficient brakes were not
required in the depot in rainy weather.
2019-03-23 10:05:30 UTC
As the Victoria line is entirely underground,
Apart from the depot at Northumberland Park.
Yes, we know — why do you think I worded my comment the way I did?
I have no idea. It was almost suggesting that efficient brakes were not
required in the depot in rainy weather.
Perhaps you could tell us how often they run trains full of passengers at
50 mph through the depot?
Roland Perry
2019-03-24 14:27:11 UTC
As the Victoria line is entirely underground,
Apart from the depot at Northumberland Park.
Yes, we know — why do you think I worded my comment the way I did?
I have no idea. It was almost suggesting that efficient brakes were not
required in the depot in rainy weather.
Perhaps you could tell us how often they run trains full of passengers at
50 mph through the depot?
Happy to, even though it doesn't help answer the question as to why you
"worded your comment the way you did".
b***@zdx6pa16b806opgwd.org
2019-03-25 10:22:27 UTC
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 14:27:11 +0000
As the Victoria line is entirely underground,
Apart from the depot at Northumberland Park.
Yes, we know — why do you think I worded my comment the way I did?
I have no idea. It was almost suggesting that efficient brakes were not
required in the depot in rainy weather.
Perhaps you could tell us how often they run trains full of passengers at
50 mph through the depot?
Happy to, even though it doesn't help answer the question as to why you
"worded your comment the way you did".
On a related note, does the Bakerloo still run passenger trains through its
depot at Queens Park? I haven't been up that way for a couple of decades.
Recliner
2019-03-25 10:39:50 UTC
Post by b***@zdx6pa16b806opgwd.org
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 14:27:11 +0000
As the Victoria line is entirely underground,
Apart from the depot at Northumberland Park.
Yes, we know — why do you think I worded my comment the way I did?
I have no idea. It was almost suggesting that efficient brakes were not
required in the depot in rainy weather.
Perhaps you could tell us how often they run trains full of passengers at
50 mph through the depot?
Happy to, even though it doesn't help answer the question as to why you
"worded your comment the way you did".
On a related note, does the Bakerloo still run passenger trains through its
depot at Queens Park? I haven't been up that way for a couple of decades.
It's not really much of a depot, just a covered reversing siding, and, yes,
all service trains have to run through it. I did so on Friday. The main
depot is at Stonebridge Park.

Basil Jet
2019-03-22 10:30:59 UTC
Yes, the Northfields test track is really about testing new brake designs
or materials, particularly in wet conditions.
Really? Surely that would be done in Derby or Japan or somewhere.
Post by Recliner
It's not for routine testing
of existing trains.
http://youtu.be/PTFmVrE1WAc
Recliner
2019-03-22 19:22:19 UTC
Yes, the Northfields test track is really about testing new brake designs
or materials, particularly in wet conditions.
Really? Surely that would be done in Derby or Japan or somewhere.
Japan? No LU trains have ever come from Japan, and none are planned
to.

LU trains typically have a very long life, and it's not uncommon for
new brake materials to be introduced along the way. For example,
perhaps the older stocks once had asbestos brake pads/linings. These
would obviously have had to be replaced with new materials, and tested
in both dry and wet conditions. Perhaps WSP was retrofitted to some
stock(s) during the long life, or the WSP technology improved. Again,
testing would be needed.
Roland Perry
2019-03-21 16:24:49 UTC
Post by Recliner
It's the same height as other tube stock, but 40mm wider than the 67 stock
it replaced, which was the previous widest stock. You may be right that the
That depends on which part of wikipedia you believe. The text says its wider
but it says 8ft 7in for the width, whereas the width for the 1967 stock was
apparently 8ft 8in. You pays your money....
I suspect only Bombardier and a few test guys really know.
Of whom one is dead, one is mad, and the other has forgotten all about
it.
2019-03-21 13:11:15 UTC
Post by b***@wmhj39w_.edu
As the picc train crawled at its usual 15mph down towards heathrow yesterday
I noticed a 95/96 stock (couldn't tell which) was sitting in northfields
depot which is rather a distance form its usual stomping ground. Anyone know
what its doing there?
Brake testing?
That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.
Yup, it's the dedicated test track where all LU stock goes to test any
changes to brakes, brake pad materials, etc. It's fairly easily accessed by
all the stock types, as well.
Can the 2009 stock fit through the Piccadilly Line bends at South Ken?
I forgot to mention, the 92 stock on the W&C obviously can't get to
Northfields easily either.
http://youtu.be/PTFmVrE1WAc
b***@okwglap85.net
2019-03-20 17:20:45 UTC
Post by b***@wmhj39w_.edu
what its doing there?
Brake testing?
That would be my guess... there are sprinklers fitted on the
northernmost track from Northfields to Acton Town for brake testing.
Yup, it's the dedicated test track where all LU stock goes to test any
changes to brakes, brake pad materials, etc. It's fairly easily accessed by
all the stock types, as well.
Presumably the signalling there has been immunised against harmonics.