OT: Virgin withdraws from Gatwick
2020-05-06 22:05:37 UTC
Well, not completely OT, because of Gatwick Express etc.
<https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/did-richard-branson-sue-nhs-
dispute-explained-virgin-atlantic-seeks-government-bailout-and-
permanently-cancels-gatwick-flights-2547743>
Least said the better about the photo, and suing the NHS.
Gatwick is likely to suffer serious damage from all this, just as it moves
forward with its second (shorthaul takeoff only) runway.

Virgin is relatively insignificant at Gatwick, but losing it, TC, BA and
Norwegian will hurt. I wonder if Emirates will also follow suit, and also
shut its relatively small Gatwick operation? Gatwick could lose pretty
much all of its premium traffic, and just become a southern version of
Stansted.
Roland Perry
2020-05-07 05:52:42 UTC
Well, not completely OT, because of Gatwick Express etc.
<https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/did-richard-branson-sue-nhs-
dispute-explained-virgin-atlantic-seeks-government-bailout-and-
permanently-cancels-gatwick-flights-2547743>
Least said the better about the photo, and suing the NHS.
Gatwick is likely to suffer serious damage from all this, just as it moves
forward with its second (shorthaul takeoff only) runway.
Virgin is relatively insignificant at Gatwick,
"The airline plans to reduce its workforce by 3,150 people, which is
equivalent to more than a 30 per cent cut."

Depends if you are one of the 3,000 perhaps.
Post by Recliner
but losing it, TC, BA and Norwegian will hurt.
You think there's significant transfer passengers? And BA is threatening
to leave too, I gather.
Post by Recliner
I wonder if Emirates will also follow suit, and also shut its
relatively small Gatwick operation? Gatwick could lose pretty much all
of its premium traffic, and just become a southern version of Stansted.
For passengers, that might not be a bad thing. At least the airport has
the option of neatly furloughing an entire terminal,
2020-05-07 08:43:36 UTC
Well, not completely OT, because of Gatwick Express etc.
<https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/did-richard-branson-sue-nhs-
dispute-explained-virgin-atlantic-seeks-government-bailout-and-
permanently-cancels-gatwick-flights-2547743>
Least said the better about the photo, and suing the NHS.
Gatwick is likely to suffer serious damage from all this, just as it moves
forward with its second (shorthaul takeoff only) runway.
Virgin is relatively insignificant at Gatwick,
"The airline plans to reduce its workforce by 3,150 people, which is
equivalent to more than a 30 per cent cut."
Most of them are not employed in, or live close to, the airport.
Post by Roland Perry
Depends if you are one of the 3,000 perhaps.
Yes, of course, just as it hurt the larger numbers affected by the other
airlines cutting back. For example, BA is threatening up to 12,000
redundancies. And it's not as if all these laid-off staff can walk into
other airline jobs.
but losing it, TC, BA and Norwegian will hurt.
You think there's significant transfer passengers? And BA is threatening
to leave too, I gather.
As I said in the remark you were responding to.
Not if the remaining pax have to maintain even 1m social distancing.
Roland Perry
2020-05-07 09:08:25 UTC
Virgin is relatively insignificant at Gatwick,
"The airline plans to reduce its workforce by 3,150 people, which is
equivalent to more than a 30 per cent cut."
Most of them are not employed in, or live close to, the airport.
Even if that's true, their jobs depend on Virgin being at Gatwick.
Depends if you are one of the 3,000 perhaps.
Yes, of course, just as it hurt the larger numbers affected by the other
airlines cutting back. For example, BA is threatening up to 12,000
redundancies. And it's not as if all these laid-off staff can walk into
other airline jobs.
but losing it, TC, BA and Norwegian will hurt.
You think there's significant transfer passengers? And BA is threatening
to leave too, I gather.
As I said in the remark you were responding to.
Ah the difference between:

but losing it will cause TC, BA and Norwegian to be hurt.

but losing it, and TC, BA and Norwegian, will hurt the airport.
2020-05-07 09:37:36 UTC
Virgin is relatively insignificant at Gatwick,
"The airline plans to reduce its workforce by 3,150 people, which is
equivalent to more than a 30 per cent cut."
Most of them are not employed in, or live close to, the airport.
Even if that's true, their jobs depend on Virgin being at Gatwick.
Many of the Virgin jobs lost will be Heathrow-based. Ditto with BA. They're
both saying they'll move what's left of their Gatwick operations to
Heathrow, as they obviously want to retain their much more valuable LHR
slots. No doubt it's also cheaper and more flexible to only operate from
one of the airports.

BA also has a maintenance operation at Gatwick. I presume that is also
likely to go if the flights go.
Depends if you are one of the 3,000 perhaps.
Yes, of course, just as it hurt the larger numbers affected by the other
airlines cutting back. For example, BA is threatening up to 12,000
redundancies. And it's not as if all these laid-off staff can walk into
other airline jobs.
but losing it, TC, BA and Norwegian will hurt.
You think there's significant transfer passengers? And BA is threatening
to leave too, I gather.
As I said in the remark you were responding to.
but losing it will cause TC, BA and Norwegian to be hurt.
but losing it, and TC, BA and Norwegian, will hurt the airport.
The latter is what I clearly said, in the context of Gatwick coming out of
this much more damaged than Heathrow. In your rush to argue, you failed to
read it.
Roland Perry
2020-05-07 10:37:55 UTC
[...]
No, you wrote something ambiguous.
m***@round-midnight.org.uk
2020-05-07 11:48:41 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
[...]
Which will be a problem as many airports deliberately crowd you into the
duty free as you leave security etc.
m***@round-midnight.org.uk
2020-05-07 11:46:47 UTC
Well, not completely OT, because of Gatwick Express etc.
<https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/did-richard-branson-sue-nhs-
dispute-explained-virgin-atlantic-seeks-government-bailout-and-
permanently-cancels-gatwick-flights-2547743>
Least said the better about the photo, and suing the NHS.
Gatwick is likely to suffer serious damage from all this, just as it moves
forward with its second (shorthaul takeoff only) runway.
Virgin is relatively insignificant at Gatwick, but losing it, TC, BA and
Norwegian will hurt. I wonder if Emirates will also follow suit, and also
shut its relatively small Gatwick operation? Gatwick could lose pretty
much all of its premium traffic, and just become a southern version of
Stansted.
I *WAS* book Dalaman to Gatwick next month. The appeal of that flight
was that there's is/was a relatively cheap hotel just across the road.
tim...
2020-05-07 12:55:05 UTC
[...]
I was booked to Lima in 2 weeks, because that's where the direct flight goes
from

I'm still booked to Minsk in Sept for the same reason

2020-05-07 14:29:19 UTC
Post by m***@round-midnight.org.uk
Post by Recliner
[...]
As an aside, I have just this minute received the letter with entry
requirement for this visit (TA presumably think I'm still going)

I must have health insurance for a minimum of 10,000 Euro

I could self insure that on my Credit card :-)

2020-05-07 12:17:32 UTC
Well, not completely OT, because of Gatwick Express etc.
<https://www.scotsman.com/news/uk-news/did-richard-branson-sue-nhs-
dispute-explained-virgin-atlantic-seeks-government-bailout-and-
permanently-cancels-gatwick-flights-2547743>
Least said the better about the photo, and suing the NHS.
Gatwick is likely to suffer serious damage from all this, just as it moves
forward with its second (shorthaul takeoff only) runway.
well that's a dead duck, for now

fortunately they aren't too far down the path yet.
Post by Recliner
Virgin is relatively insignificant at Gatwick, but losing it, TC, BA and
Norwegian will hurt. I wonder if Emirates will also follow suit, and also
shut its relatively small Gatwick operation? Gatwick could lose pretty
much all of its premium traffic, and just become a southern version of
Stansted.
IMHO Gatwick will come back in the near future

As I have previously said, I believe that it is business travel that once
gone, will never come back.

but tourist travellers will, and tourists are less wedded to this mantra of
"Heathrow or nowhere" than business travellers are.

Airlines operating tourists routes will see the sense in moving to an
airport with lower charges that they need to pass on to passengers