Crossrail 2 Cancelled
2020-11-03 07:48:27 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/02/crossrail-2-plans-shelved-transport-for-london-funding-deal

well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed

But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.

Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"

surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?

It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe
Recliner
2020-11-03 08:47:15 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/02/crossrail-2-plans-shelved-transport-for-london-funding-deal
well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed
But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.
Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"
surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?
It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe
Yes, Crossrail 2 was off the agenda for quite a while, anyway.

Not mentioned in that story is that the mayor may also have to raise more
money for TfL through a precept on council taxes. This would be for the
Freedom Pass to continue.
tim...
2020-11-03 19:25:23 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/02/crossrail-2-plans-shelved-transport-for-london-funding-deal
well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed
But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.
Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"
surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?
It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe
Yes, Crossrail 2 was off the agenda for quite a while, anyway.
Not mentioned in that story is that the mayor may also have to raise more
money for TfL through a precept on council taxes. This would be for the
Freedom Pass to continue.
Horary, my neighbours are going to have to pay more for me to travel free

TBH, I could live with it becoming bus (and tram) only. I only use the
train/tube at the margins of my travel. I suspect that this applies to the
vast majority of "necessary "users of the pass. Only the percentage who
still work and use it for travel to work would really notice this change.

(I guess you might be able to find a journey out in the sticks where there's
a point to point rail journey to nearest shopping centre, that doesn't have
a parallel bus)

2020-11-03 11:38:41 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/02/crossrail-2-plans-shelved-transport-for-london-funding-deal
well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed
But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.
Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"
surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?
Is investigate really government speak for “you must implement”?
If TFL investigate and the investigation finds them not ideal will the
government accept that or say that isn’t the answer we wanted to hear, go
away and introduce them anyway.

2020-11-03 12:13:58 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by tim...
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/02/crossrail-2-plans-shelved-transport-for-london-funding-deal
well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed
But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.
Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"
surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?
Is investigate really government speak for “you must implement”?
If TFL investigate and the investigation finds them not ideal will the
government accept that or say that isn’t the answer we wanted to hear, go
away and introduce them anyway.
It shoves a decision down the line (sorry).
2020-11-03 12:31:08 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/02/crossrail-2-plans-shelved-transport-for-london-funding-deal
well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed
But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.
Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"
surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?
Is investigate really government speak for “you must implement”?
If TFL investigate and the investigation finds them not ideal will the
government accept that or say that isn’t the answer we wanted to hear, go
away and introduce them anyway.
It's a way of placating Boris. He can claim a victory in this negotiation, and the investigation will probably report
after he's completed his short political sabbatical and returned to his full-time job as a comedy writer and comedian.
Recliner
2020-11-03 12:32:35 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/02/crossrail-2-plans-shelved-transport-for-london-funding-deal
well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed
But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.
Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"
surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?
It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe
I see another London economy measure has been crystallised:
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565>

At last, the Dangleway might get some customers!
Theo
2020-11-03 12:49:16 UTC
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565>
At last, the Dangleway might get some customers!
Doesn't the sponsorship deal come to an end soon? If in need of something
to cut, I would have expected that to be a prime candidate.

Of course, scrapping it wouldn't be popular with the PM...

(I wouldn't be surprised if it gets cut when they can't find a new sponsor.
Or sold off to be a tourist trap)

Theo
Recliner
2020-11-03 12:57:08 UTC
Post by Theo
Post by Recliner
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565>
At last, the Dangleway might get some customers!
Doesn't the sponsorship deal come to an end soon? If in need of something
to cut, I would have expected that to be a prime candidate.
Of course, scrapping it wouldn't be popular with the PM...
(I wouldn't be surprised if it gets cut when they can't find a new sponsor.
Or sold off to be a tourist trap)
Yes, the latter would be the right thing to do. It's a sightseeing trip, much the same as walking over the roof of the
O2, or doing a circuit on the London Eye. It's not public transport, and shouldn't be subsidised or promoted by TfL, any
more than the open top sightseeing buses are.
b***@nuttyella.co.uk
2020-11-03 14:54:13 UTC
On Tue, 03 Nov 2020 12:32:35 +0000
Post by tim...
well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed
But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.
Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"
surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?
It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565>
I bet that'll be popular with the staff for the next 5 years until xrail
opens. Not. Fine if you live near that area, a PITA to get to if you live
anywhere else.
Graeme Wall
b***@nuttyella.co.uk
2020-11-03 16:50:03 UTC
Post by tim...
well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed
But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.
Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"
surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?
It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565>
I bet that'll be popular with the staff for the next 5 years until xrail
opens. Not. Fine if you live near that area, a PITA to get to if you live
anywhere else.
Take the river bus.
Wrong side of the river plus it costs a fortune though I suppose they'd have
staff discounts.
Graeme Wall
2020-11-03 18:55:36 UTC
Post by b***@nuttyella.co.uk
Post by tim...
well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed
But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.
Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"
surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?
It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565>
I bet that'll be popular with the staff for the next 5 years until xrail
opens. Not. Fine if you live near that area, a PITA to get to if you live
anywhere else.
Take the river bus.
Wrong side of the river plus it costs a fortune though I suppose they'd have
staff discounts.
Easy enough to add a stop right side of the river.
2020-11-03 21:31:51 UTC
Post by tim...
well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed
But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.
Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"
surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?
It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54783565>
I bet that'll be popular with the staff for the next 5 years until xrail
opens. Not. Fine if you live near that area, a PITA to get to if you live
anywhere else.
Take the river bus.
It's pretty near Royal Victoria DLR. Crossrail won't really help much.
The Human League - 1981 - Dare
Recliner
Yes, they'll need to get to Custom House for Crossrail.
b***@nuttyella.co.uk
2020-11-04 08:32:42 UTC
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 21:36:32 -0000 (UTC)
Would still be quicker than taking the DLR to central London.
Basil Jet
The B-52's - 1989 - Cosmic Thing
Robin9
2020-11-03 13:29:54 UTC
As Crossrail 2 has been hijacked by crayonists in Hertfordshire,
Hampshire and Surrey and turned into Thameslink 2, a project to
benefit commuters living outside London, I don't mind if finalising
the details is delayed for several years.

If and when the concept is revived, I hope whoever is Mayor of London
will argue that if London is to contribute a major part of the funding,

the primary purpose of the scheme must be to tackle London's public
transport problems and that these should not be subordinated to the
needs of peak time commuters from outside London