Model Railway Club logo
2021-01-24 20:44:43 UTC
The Model Railway Club, based close to Kings Cross Station, has a great
logo. I'm wondering if it is an original creation or if it references
some older railway logo of which I'm unaware.

https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/wp-content/themes/mrc-2/img/logo.svg
1980 - Hard Objects - Art Objects
Peter Able
2021-01-25 12:37:24 UTC
The Model Railway Club, based close to Kings Cross Station, has a great
logo. I'm wondering if it is an original creation or if it references
some older railway logo of which I'm unaware.
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/wp-content/themes/mrc-2/img/logo.svg
It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes / Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.

As for a direct railway example,

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35081&st=45

PA
David Cantrell
2021-01-26 15:24:12 UTC
Post by Peter Able
Post by Basil Jet
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/wp-content/themes/mrc-2/img/logo.svg
It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes / Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.
As for a direct railway example,
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35081&st=45
That one makes me immediately think of Icarus, which is most certainly
*not* what the LMS had in mind!

Hermes is usually shown with winged sandals or hat.
--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups
Peter Able
2021-01-26 17:05:40 UTC
Post by David Cantrell
Post by Peter Able
Post by Basil Jet
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/wp-content/themes/mrc-2/img/logo.svg
It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes / Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.
As for a direct railway example,
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35081&st=45
That one makes me immediately think of Icarus, which is most certainly
*not* what the LMS had in mind!
Hermes is usually shown with winged sandals or hat.
Indeed - but I couldn't find anything nearer to do with railways.

Yet, I'm sure that that deco style railway club loco was used in the 30s
- maybe. National Benzole?

PA

2021-01-26 17:15:04 UTC
Post by Peter Able
Post by David Cantrell
Post by Peter Able
Post by Basil Jet
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/wp-content/themes/mrc-2/img/logo.svg
It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes / Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.
As for a direct railway example,
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35081&st=45
That one makes me immediately think of Icarus, which is most certainly
*not* what the LMS had in mind!
Hermes is usually shown with winged sandals or hat.
Indeed - but I couldn't find anything nearer to do with railways.
Yet, I'm sure that that deco style railway club loco was used in the 30s
- maybe.  National Benzole?
Well spotted, the head anyway.

<https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142403-national-benzole-14t-tank-wagons-all-wrong/>
Peter Able
2021-01-26 18:00:04 UTC
Post by Peter Able
Post by David Cantrell
Post by Peter Able
Post by Basil Jet
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/wp-content/themes/mrc-2/img/logo.svg
It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes / Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.
As for a direct railway example,
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35081&st=45
That one makes me immediately think of Icarus, which is most certainly
*not* what the LMS had in mind!
Hermes is usually shown with winged sandals or hat.
Indeed - but I couldn't find anything nearer to do with railways.
Yet, I'm sure that that deco style railway club loco was used in the
30s - maybe.  National Benzole?
Well spotted, the head anyway.
<https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142403-national-benzole-14t-tank-wagons-all-wrong/>
Oh, more than the head. See:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/National_Benzole_Co

But I'm sure that I've seen a blend of the art deco-ised winged helmet
and the rest as a waiter image for a swanky 30s restaurant. Serving an
impossibly long-legged blonde.

Serving up a steam locomotive is original, though !

PA
Graeme Wall
James Heaton
2021-01-26 18:27:44 UTC
Post by Peter Able
Post by David Cantrell
Post by Peter Able
Post by Basil Jet
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/wp-content/themes/mrc-2/img/logo.svg
It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes / Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.
As for a direct railway example,
https://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35081&st=45
That one makes me immediately think of Icarus, which is most certainly
*not* what the LMS had in mind!
Hermes is usually shown with winged sandals or hat.
Indeed - but I couldn't find anything nearer to do with railways.
Yet, I'm sure that that deco style railway club loco was used in the
30s - maybe. National Benzole?
Well spotted, the head anyway.
<https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142403-national-benzole-14t-tank-wagons-all-wrong/>
No doubt. We had a National petrol station about 800yds from where I grew
up.

The boy next door who was some years older than me, had all the Smurf
stickers and figures that they spent most of the 70s giving away. Some are
still visible on their garage! (the boy in question is now coming to the
end of a distinguished spell as a Warrant Officer in the RAF; one of his
Mum's proudest possessions is a photo of him meeting President Obama)

The filling station closed around 1982. There had been 4 in our run of
villages. The Fina later Elf lasted into the 00s. The independent closed
in the 70s. And the one that has been almost every brand down the years, is
now Texaco and still there.

James