60+ pass use outside london
2021-05-08 14:00:14 UTC
apropos something entirely unrelated, I was perusing the 60+ pass validity
and I came across the rule:

.

"60+ Oyster pass holders are not entitled to free travel on services outside
of London."

at:

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/tfl-60-london-oyster-photocard

and I thought *what*!

Is this just a lazy way of saying that it's not available on rest of England
busses, or do the really
Graeme Wall
2021-05-08 14:05:03 UTC
apropos something entirely unrelated, I was perusing the 60+ pass
.
"60+ Oyster pass holders are not entitled to free travel on services
outside of London."
https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/tfl-60-london-oyster-photocard
and I thought *what*!
Is this just a lazy way of saying that it's not available on rest of
England busses, or do the really
It's not valid on other train services which is probably more to the point.
2021-05-08 14:14:13 UTC
apropos something entirely unrelated, I was perusing the 60+ pass
.
"60+ Oyster pass holders are not entitled to free travel on services
outside of London."
https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/tfl-60-london-oyster-photocard
and I thought *what*!
Is this just a lazy way of saying that it's not available on rest of
England busses, or do the really
It's not valid on other train services which is probably more to the point.
as per this map

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/using-pass/freedom-pass-travel-map

Freedom passes aren't generally valid on other services.

but as for use on operators that are "allowed" Dartford, Swanley, Hampton
Court and Tattenham Corner are outside of London but show as valid
Recliner
2021-05-08 15:16:20 UTC
apropos something entirely unrelated, I was perusing the 60+ pass
.
"60+ Oyster pass holders are not entitled to free travel on services
outside of London."
https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/tfl-60-london-oyster-photocard
and I thought *what*!
Is this just a lazy way of saying that it's not available on rest of
England busses, or do the really
It's not valid on other train services which is probably more to the point.
as per this map
https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/using-pass/freedom-pass-travel-map
Freedom passes aren't generally valid on other services.
but as for use on operators that are "allowed" Dartford, Swanley, Hampton
Court and Tattenham Corner are outside of London but show as valid
Yes, that's correct, and applies to both FP and 60+. Crossrail to Reading
used to be the same for both, but subsequently, was limited to FP only.
tim...

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/tfl-60-london-oyster-photocard and I thought *what*!Note that what I am reading are pages updated for Covid, so are currentlydifferent to any previous pages you may have read.Is this just a lazy way of saying that it's not available on rest of Englandservices, or do they really mean that I can't currently use a TFL serviceacross the boundary?Because I've certainly done that on a bus in the past, and the ticket officeat "London Terminals", have used outside the boundary stations for sellingme excesses (no prompting from me)The map here's no help:https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/using-pass/freedom-pass-travel-mapIt's recently been complicated by the "not before 9:00" rule, but containsnothing to differential between old person's Freedom pass and 60+ passes (itdon't claim to represent 60+ pass, but I can't find a map that does).I aware of the rule that doesn't allow 60+ pass use on Crossrail to Reading,but what about other "outside the boundary" lines?
Recliner
2021-05-08 15:16:20 UTC
[...]
The 60+ pass is only valid in London. It's not a national bus pass (unlike
the Freedom Pass). It's always been that way, ever since it was introduced.
tim...
2021-05-08 15:36:41 UTC
[...]
what happened here ?
Post by Recliner
The 60+ pass is only valid in London. It's not a national bus pass (unlike
the Freedom Pass). It's always been that way, ever since it was introduced.
Yes I know

but that doesn't make sense of the rule that I quoted, which seems to
suggest that I have to go to the driver and "pay" as soon as the bus reaches
the "London" boundary
Recliner
2021-05-09 00:28:11 UTC
Post by Recliner
The 60+ pass is only valid in London. It's not a national bus pass (unlike
the Freedom Pass). It's always been that way, ever since it was introduced.
Yes I know
but that doesn't make sense of the rule that I quoted, which seems to
suggest that I have to go to the driver and "pay" as soon as the bus reaches
the "London" boundary
Not on TfL buses. I don't suppose 60+ passes are valid at all on other
buses that operate into London.
tim...
2021-05-09 06:52:52 UTC
Post by Recliner
The 60+ pass is only valid in London. It's not a national bus pass (unlike
the Freedom Pass). It's always been that way, ever since it was introduced.
Yes I know
but that doesn't make sense of the rule that I quoted, which seems to
suggest that I have to go to the driver and "pay" as soon as the bus reaches
the "London" boundary
Not on TfL buses. I don't suppose 60+ passes are valid at all on other
buses that operate into London.
Nope,

They don't accept Oyster or count towards capping either

It's weird the way that these out of London buses have evolved

I can go all the way to Redhill or Dorking, miles outside the boundary on
TfL fares, but I can't go to Thames Ditton by bus (though I can by train).
"Red" busses used to go to Thames Ditton.

Roger
2021-05-08 15:55:32 UTC
On Sat, 8 May 2021 15:00:14 +0100, "tim..."
Post by tim...
"60+ Oyster pass holders are not entitled to free travel on services outside
of London."
Freedom Passes can be used on buses in England, with certain
restrictions. As far as I know the 60+ passes can't.

Here is the 60+ rail map on the TfL web site:

https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/60-plus-london-free-travel-national-rail-map.pdf

And here the Freedom Pass rail map on the London Councils web
site:

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/using-pass/freedom-pass-travel-map

As far as I can see the only difference between 60+ and Freedom
passes is Reading. A Freedom Pass can be used on TfL Rail to any
station after West Drayton as far as Reading. (A Freedom Pass is
not valid on GWR trains.)
Roger
tim...
2021-05-09 06:45:11 UTC
Post by tim...
"60+ Oyster pass holders are not entitled to free travel on services outside
of London."
Freedom Passes can be used on buses in England, with certain
restrictions. As far as I know the 60+ passes can't.
That's a given

FP is also not valid (M-F) on "English" buses before 9.30 or after 11.00

In theory, English passes are not valid on TfL busses outside those hours,
but I don't think that rule's enforced (but have no way of checking).
Post by Roger
https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/60-plus-london-free-travel-national-rail-map.pdf
That's great, how did you find that?
Post by Roger
And here the Freedom Pass rail map on the London Councils web
https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/using-pass/freedom-pass-travel-map
As far as I can see the only difference between 60+ and Freedom
passes is Reading. A Freedom Pass can be used on TfL Rail to any
station after West Drayton as far as Reading. (A Freedom Pass is
not valid on GWR trains.)
Yep

That's been discussed previously here
Post by Roger