London St Pancras to Bedford
Bryan Morris
2019-12-31 03:49:10 UTC
I sometimes take a train (to my younger daughter) who lives in Bedford.

As you may know there are 2 services from St Pancras to Bedford. A slow
one run by Thameslink and a fast one run by EMR

I go to the booking office and ask for an off peak day return and for
£15.70 get handed a ticket that states "From London Thameslink to
Bedford Valid via any permitted route"

I invariably take the fast EMR train

Sunday night when I came back (by EMR) my ticket was refused by the gate
and an official used his card to open the gate for me - giving me a
filthy look as he did.

As I say I just ask for a return at the booking office - do I do
anything wrong travelling by EMR when the ticket says "from London
Thameslink"?
Bryan Morris
Robin9
2019-12-31 11:24:37 UTC
Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service

2019-12-31 13:35:23 UTC
Post by Robin9
Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service?
We've been though that. The price is the same [at Bedford] for "London
Terminals", so the potential route-excess is zero.

And it's neither a "Thameslink only" nor a "Not EMR" ticket.

*However* as a bonus, on Thameslink services you can use the ticket as
far as LondonBridge/Elephant&Castle, not only to SPILL.
Bryan Morris
2019-12-31 15:00:02 UTC
Post by Robin9
Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service?
We've been though that. The price is the same [at Bedford] for "London
Terminals", so the potential route-excess is zero.
And it's neither a "Thameslink only" nor a "Not EMR" ticket.
*However* as a bonus, on Thameslink services you can use the ticket as
far as LondonBridge/Elephant&Castle, not only to SPILL.
Thanks that's how I viewed it so was surprised when the gate rejected my
ticket and told me to seek assistance and the attitude of the person who
opened the gate for me.

The booking office didn't ask me which train company I wanted they just
give me the tickets
Bryan Morris
Roland Perry
2019-12-31 15:41:39 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Robin9
Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service?
We've been though that. The price is the same [at Bedford] for "London
Terminals", so the potential route-excess is zero.
And it's neither a "Thameslink only" nor a "Not EMR" ticket.
*However* as a bonus, on Thameslink services you can use the ticket as
far as LondonBridge/Elephant&Castle, not only to SPILL.
Thanks that's how I viewed it so was surprised when the gate rejected
my ticket and told me to seek assistance and the attitude of the person
who opened the gate for me.
Now that we know it's one of the weekend-only tickets, it's entirely
possible the gates won't accept them. But then you'd think the staff
would be used to letting people through manually.
Post by Bryan Morris
The booking office didn't ask me which train company I wanted they just
give me the tickets
JOOI, which ticket office was it - the Thameslink vs EMR at St Pancras,
or somewhere else?
2019-12-31 16:27:13 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Robin9
Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service?
We've been though that. The price is the same [at Bedford] for
"London Terminals", so the potential route-excess is zero.
And it's neither a "Thameslink only" nor a "Not EMR" ticket.
*However* as a bonus, on Thameslink services you can use the ticket
as far as LondonBridge/Elephant&Castle, not only to SPILL.
Thanks that's how I viewed it so was surprised when the gate rejected
my ticket and told me to seek assistance and the attitude of the
person who opened the gate for me.
Now that we know it's one of the weekend-only tickets, it's entirely
possible the gates won't accept them. But then you'd think the staff
would be used to letting people through manually.
Maybe he was just fed up with the number of people requiring exit
assistance. Annoyed with whoever programmed the gates rather then the users.
2019-12-31 17:02:53 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Robin9
Perhaps a ticket mentioning "Thameslink" is valid only on the
Thameslink service?
We've been though that. The price is the same [at Bedford] for
"London Terminals", so the potential route-excess is zero.
And it's neither a "Thameslink only" nor a "Not EMR" ticket.
*However* as a bonus, on Thameslink services you can use the ticket
as far as LondonBridge/Elephant&Castle, not only to SPILL.
Thanks that's how I viewed it so was surprised when the gate
rejected my ticket and told me to seek assistance and the attitude
of the person who opened the gate for me.
Now that we know it's one of the weekend-only tickets, it's entirely
possible the gates won't accept them. But then you'd think the staff
would be used to letting people through manually.
Maybe he was just fed up with the number of people requiring exit
assistance.
The OP was requiring entry assistance.
2019-12-31 20:17:54 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Robin9
[...]
Whichever, the effect is the same.
Annoyed with whoever programmed the gates rather then the users.
Bryan Morris
2019-12-31 20:39:00 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Robin9
[...]
Nope it was my return to St Pancras I needed assistance in getting out
Bryan Morris
Roland Perry
2020-01-01 08:19:16 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Now that we know it's one of the weekend-only tickets, it's
entirely possible the gates won't accept them. But then you'd think
the staff would be used to letting people through manually.
Maybe he was just fed up with the number of people requiring exit
assistance.
The OP was requiring entry assistance.
Nope it was my return to St Pancras I needed assistance in getting out
Thanks for the clarification (I'd jumped to the conclusion that "when I
came back" meant getting on the train at Bedford) which means you were
proffering a London Thameslink ticket at a London Terminals barrier, but
as discussed it's effectively just as valid.
Bryan Morris
2019-12-31 20:36:36 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Bryan Morris
The booking office didn't ask me which train company I wanted they
just give me the tickets
JOOI, which ticket office was it - the Thameslink vs EMR at St Pancras,
or somewhere else?
Aah Just noticed restrictions are weekends (which it was) only

It was the National Rail office at the station.
Bryan Morris
Roland Perry
2020-01-01 08:12:29 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Bryan Morris
The booking office didn't ask me which train company I wanted they
just give me the tickets
JOOI, which ticket office was it - the Thameslink vs EMR at St
Pancras, or somewhere else?
Aah Just noticed restrictions are weekends (which it was) only
It was the National Rail office at the station.
There are two at St Pancras, if that's the station in question.
Bryan Morris
2020-01-01 09:20:11 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Bryan Morris
The booking office didn't ask me which train company I wanted they
just give me the tickets
JOOI, which ticket office was it - the Thameslink vs EMR at St
Pancras, or somewhere else?
Aah Just noticed restrictions are weekends (which it was) only
It was the National Rail office at the station.
There are two at St Pancras, if that's the station in question.
I find St Pancras difficult to navigate and just follow a sign to
Tickets - don't know which one . sorry (Is there a difference?) I know
there is a Eurostar office
Yes St. Pancras International.

No problems at Bedford with acceptance of tickets of course as there is
just one set of gates to enter or exit all the platforms whereas at St.
Pancras the EMR & Thameslink trains arrive at/depart from different
parts of the station.

BTW not my concern but I wonder how the 2 railways share the revenue (St
Pancras I assume from the entry gates but as I said leaving Bedford
there is no way of telling what train I'm going to catch)
Bryan Morris
Roland Perry
2020-01-01 10:09:31 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Bryan Morris
The booking office didn't ask me which train company I wanted they
just give me the tickets
JOOI, which ticket office was it - the Thameslink vs EMR at St
Pancras, or somewhere else?
Aah Just noticed restrictions are weekends (which it was) only
It was the National Rail office at the station.
There are two at St Pancras, if that's the station in question.
I find St Pancras difficult to navigate and just follow a sign to
Tickets - don't know which one . sorry (Is there a difference?)
Historically there were two ticket offices, one belonging to FCC
situated adjacent to the barrier line to the low level platforms. The
other belonging to EMT, not very far away, but couldn't be accused of
being adjacent to anything of much use, least of all the high level EMT
platforms.

I see that EMT refurbished their ticket office at the end of 2016, and
perhaps that also subsumed the FCC (now Thameslink) office.
Post by Bryan Morris
I know there is a Eurostar office
Yes St. Pancras International.
No problems at Bedford with acceptance of tickets of course as there is
just one set of gates to enter or exit all the platforms whereas at St.
Pancras the EMR & Thameslink trains arrive at/depart from different
parts of the station.
BTW not my concern but I wonder how the 2 railways share the revenue
(St Pancras I assume from the entry gates but as I said leaving Bedford
there is no way of telling what train I'm going to catch)
It's done by a scheme called ORCATS, which models the availability of
seats on the flows in question, and makes various assumptions about
which trains people will get. Alterations to the timetable (especially
in the peaks[1]) will literally change the equations.

[1] I see there's no longer any non-Thameslink morning service from
Bedford to StP until 10:13, for example; or between 16:23 and
19:23 on the way back.