OT: University Boat Race moves to Ely
2020-11-26 11:49:28 UTC
It seems that the bridges of Ely aren't as battered as on the Thames, so
the Boat Race is decamping there for 2021:

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/next-year-s-boat-race-on-april-3-could-be-moved-off-the-thames-owing-to-bridge-saga-x67zdk985?shareToken=6adcc5cbca5b6fb05d260ecfc826ea46>
tim...
2020-11-26 12:29:36 UTC
It seems that the bridges of Ely aren't as battered as on the Thames, so
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/next-year-s-boat-race-on-april-3-could-be-moved-off-the-thames-owing-to-bridge-saga-x67zdk985?shareToken=6adcc5cbca5b6fb05d260ecfc826ea46>
I'm inclined to think:

"The Ouse is well known to the Cambridge crews, who have trained there for
decades"

will, scupper this suggestion
Recliner
Except that, as the story says, Oxford won when it was last run there.
tim...
2020-11-26 14:48:51 UTC
It seems that the bridges of Ely aren't as battered as on the Thames, so
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/next-year-s-boat-race-on-april-3-could-be-moved-off-the-thames-owing-to-bridge-saga-x67zdk985?shareToken=6adcc5cbca5b6fb05d260ecfc826ea46>
"The Ouse is well known to the Cambridge crews, who have trained there for
decades"
will, scupper this suggestion
Except that, as the story says, Oxford won when it was last run there.
in 1944

given the date, I suspect that it was a scratch race with very little
preparation by either team
Mark Goodge
2020-11-26 13:43:26 UTC
It seems that the bridges of Ely aren't as battered as on the Thames, so
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/next-year-s-boat-race-on-april-3-could-be-moved-off-the-thames-owing-to-bridge-saga-x67zdk985?shareToken=6adcc5cbca5b6fb05d260ecfc826ea46>
"The Ouse is well known to the Cambridge crews, who have trained there for
decades"
will, scupper this suggestion
It was held there during WWII. Oxford won.

Mark
Roland Perry
2020-11-26 14:25:04 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
It seems that the bridges of Ely aren't as battered as on the Thames, so
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/next-year-s-boat-race-on-april-3-c
ould-be-moved-off-the-thames-owing-to-bridge-saga-x67zdk985?shareToken
=6adcc5cbca5b6fb05d260ecfc826ea46>
"The Ouse is well known to the Cambridge crews, who have trained there for
decades"
will, scupper this suggestion
It was held there during WWII. Oxford won.
As it hints in the story, there's nothing about the physical parameters
of the course which would give one crew or the other an advantage.

However, possibly a slight gain from having one's own boathouse nearby.
I wonder where they'll base the Oxford crew for the week? The old
Cambridge boathouse is pretty much abandoned, but obviously doesn't have
a fraction of the facilities of the new one.
2020-11-26 14:50:57 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
It seems that the bridges of Ely aren't as battered as on the Thames, so
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/next-year-s-boat-race-on-april-3-c
ould-be-moved-off-the-thames-owing-to-bridge-saga-x67zdk985?shareToken
=6adcc5cbca5b6fb05d260ecfc826ea46>
"The Ouse is well known to the Cambridge crews, who have trained there for
decades"
will, scupper this suggestion
It was held there during WWII. Oxford won.
As it hints in the story, there's nothing about the physical parameters
of the course which would give one crew or the other an advantage.
eg It's not tidal, and even if they don't make it flow-free by tinkering
with Denver sluice on the day, unless there's been freak rainfall the
MB
2020-12-01 05:17:37 UTC
Shields Daily News - Saturday 26 February 1944
Image © Johnston Press plc. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH
LIBRARY BOARD.

Today's Boat Race
The third war-time boat race between Oxford and Cambridge was arranged
to be rowed at 3 p.m. today over one-and-a-half miles course on the Ouse
between Ely and Littleport.
Cambridge won at Henley in 1940 and Oxford were successful last year at
Radley.
These war-time events do not count in the official records. The' crew,
receive colours Instead of the blues which were awarded In pre-war days.
Roland Perry
2020-11-26 12:33:58 UTC
It seems that the bridges of Ely aren't as battered as on the Thames, so
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/next-year-s-boat-race-on-april-3-cou
ld-be-moved-off-the-thames-owing-to-bridge-saga-x67zdk985?shareToken=6ad
cc5cbca5b6fb05d260ecfc826ea46>
One of the things I wondered at the beginning of the first lockdown was
whether or not *training* for the boat race would be prohibited, let
alone the race itself cancelled because of the spectator issues.

Elite sports have been given various dispensations now.

Anyway, the start of the race on that map is almost certainly at the
second railway bridge in Ely, which is currently (for perhaps the third
time in five years) got scaffolding underneath it while Network Rail do
some unspecified repairs, to probably the deck under the sleepers which
stops the ballast falling into the river. Those repairs are currently
about a month behind schedule.

Needless to say, I'll be able to walk to the event :)

I miss seeing the rowers in Central Ely, because since they opened the
new boathouse, they don't venture that far south. The previous boathouse
(and the one before that) were both between the two railway bridges.
Mark Goodge
2020-11-26 14:46:43 UTC
On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 11:49:28 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Post by Recliner
It seems that the bridges of Ely aren't as battered as on the Thames, so
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/next-year-s-boat-race-on-april-3-could-be-moved-off-the-thames-owing-to-bridge-saga-x67zdk985?shareToken=6adcc5cbca5b6fb05d260ecfc826ea46>
As someone who grew up near Ely and lived there for many years, I
thought I'd explain, particularly for the benefit of my London friends,
what difference this will make.

Firstly, instead of the Middlesex station and the Surrey station, the
two sides of the river will be designated the Fen station and the other
Fen station.

Notable landmarks on the route, instead of the Harrods repository and
Fulham FC, will include the former sugar beet factory and the Anglian
Water depot.

Notable bridges on the route, instead of Hammersmith and Chiswick, will
include the Ely-Norwich railway line and the B1382.

Opportunities for spectators will be limited, as most of the course runs
through open countryside where the river banks are private property. But
you should get a good view from the public right of way 76/12
footbridge, assuming it can take the weight of more than half a dozen
people at once, as well as the Black Horse pub in Littleport.

Media facilities will also be somewhat restricted, but a decent cup of
tea can always be found at the award-winning Peackock's Tearoom while
more substantial fare will be available from the Ely Kebab House and
Fortune Garden Chinese Takeaway.

While the Cambridgeshire Fens may seem a world away from the delights of
the metropolis, I'm sure locals will look forward to welcoming visitors
to the home of St Audrey, from whom we get the word "tawdry", as well as
Hereward the Wake and Oliver Cromwell.

When you've finished watching the boat race you might want to visit
other local landmarks, including the location of the photoshoot for the
sleeve of Pink Floyd's "The Division Bell", and then pop into the
cathedral to see the world-famous Virgin Charlie Dimmock sculpture.

Who knows, with so much local culture, the boat race might never return
to London!

Mark
Christopher A. Lee
Where's the fenishig line?
Roland Perry
2020-11-26 15:16:08 UTC
Post by Recliner
It seems that the bridges of Ely aren't as battered as on the Thames, so
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/next-year-s-boat-race-on-april-3-co
uld-be-moved-off-the-thames-owing-to-bridge-saga-x67zdk985?shareToken=6
adcc5cbca5b6fb05d260ecfc826ea46>
As someone who grew up near Ely and lived there for many years, I
thought I'd explain, particularly for the benefit of my London friends,
what difference this will make.
Firstly, instead of the Middlesex station and the Surrey station, the
two sides of the river will be designated the Fen station and the other
Fen station.
Notable landmarks on the route, instead of the Harrods repository and
Fulham FC, will include the former sugar beet factory and the Anglian
Water depot.
Not wishing to quibble, but do you mean Environment Agency?
Post by Mark Goodge
Notable bridges on the route, instead of Hammersmith and Chiswick, will
include the Ely-Norwich railway line and the B1382.
Which are about 100m apart.
Post by Mark Goodge
Opportunities for spectators will be limited, as most of the course runs
through open countryside where the river banks are private property.
There's lots of fishermen, dog walkers, and others, to be seen on the
eastern bank all the way from Queen Adelaide to Littleport. Policing it
would be a nightmare.
Post by Mark Goodge
But you should get a good view from the public right of way 76/12
footbridge, assuming it can take the weight of more than half a dozen
people at once, as well as the Black Horse pub in Littleport.
It was renamed "The Swan [on the river]" several years ago. But I expect
the finish to be just south of that (and the adjacent road bridge).

There's an EA landing stage just opposite the pub, but you couldn't
easily take a boat out of the water there (neither at the Swan's
moorings). Thinking about it, I expect they'd close the road from QA all
the way to Littleport, as well as that end of Victoria St (including the
level crossing) to give room for support infrastructure.
Post by Mark Goodge
Media facilities will also be somewhat restricted, but a decent cup of
tea can always be found at the award-winning Peackock's Tearoom
I'm not sure it would be open at that time of year, but they might make
an exception. However, it's very small, and only the first couple of
dozen customers would get served. A better option would be to have a
"pop up" refreshment facility in the Maltings (Covid rules permitting).
Post by Mark Goodge
while more substantial fare will be available from the Ely Kebab House
and Fortune Garden Chinese Takeaway.
The latter is normally only open in the evenings, except, bizarrely
Tuesdays, when it's closed all day. That's caught me out a few times.
And (paging Ian Batten) they still only take cash.
Post by Mark Goodge
While the Cambridgeshire Fens may seem a world away from the delights of
the metropolis, I'm sure locals will look forward to welcoming visitors
to the home of St Audrey, from whom we get the word "tawdry",
Strictly speaking it's from the allegedly somewhat tatty produce at St
Audrey's annual fair.
Mark Goodge
2020-11-26 15:38:41 UTC
Post by Recliner
It seems that the bridges of Ely aren't as battered as on the Thames, so
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/next-year-s-boat-race-on-april-3-co
uld-be-moved-off-the-thames-owing-to-bridge-saga-x67zdk985?shareToken=6
adcc5cbca5b6fb05d260ecfc826ea46>
As someone who grew up near Ely and lived there for many years, I
thought I'd explain, particularly for the benefit of my London friends,
what difference this will make.
Firstly, instead of the Middlesex station and the Surrey station, the
two sides of the river will be designated the Fen station and the other
Fen station.
Notable landmarks on the route, instead of the Harrods repository and
Fulham FC, will include the former sugar beet factory and the Anglian
Water depot.
Not wishing to quibble, but do you mean Environment Agency?
Probably.
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Mark Goodge
But you should get a good view from the public right of way 76/12
footbridge, assuming it can take the weight of more than half a dozen
people at once, as well as the Black Horse pub in Littleport.
It was renamed "The Swan [on the river]" several years ago.
Meh. I bet it's gone upmarket as well.
Post by Mark Goodge
while more substantial fare will be available from the Ely Kebab House
and Fortune Garden Chinese Takeaway.
The latter is normally only open in the evenings, except, bizarrely
Tuesdays, when it's closed all day. That's caught me out a few times.
And (paging Ian Batten) they still only take cash.
Given your more up to date local knowledge, can you answer a question
that a friend of mine posed on Facebook in response to my similar post
there? That is, is there still a regular disco at The Cutter Inn? (Feel
free to answer it there, if you want. It's a public post).

Mark
Roland Perry
2020-11-26 17:53:22 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Mark Goodge
But you should get a good view from the public right of way 76/12
footbridge, assuming it can take the weight of more than half a dozen
people at once, as well as the Black Horse pub in Littleport.
It was renamed "The Swan [on the river]" several years ago.
Meh. I bet it's gone upmarket as well.
I'd call it upper-middle. But it's pretty melancholy, perhaps because I
only happened to be there a times it's virtually empty, and the staff
struggled to tear themselves away from whatever they were doing, to
serve a the bar.
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Mark Goodge
while more substantial fare will be available from the Ely Kebab House
and Fortune Garden Chinese Takeaway.
The latter is normally only open in the evenings, except, bizarrely
Tuesdays, when it's closed all day. That's caught me out a few times.
And (paging Ian Batten) they still only take cash.
Given your more up to date local knowledge, can you answer a question
that a friend of mine posed on Facebook in response to my similar post
there? That is, is there still a regular disco at The Cutter Inn? (Feel
free to answer it there, if you want. It's a public post).
In the eight years I've been familiar with the place, no discos. The
only regular "thing" was for a couple of years a quiz night (Mon, or was
it Tue).
Mark Goodge
2020-11-26 19:40:44 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Mark Goodge
But you should get a good view from the public right of way 76/12
footbridge, assuming it can take the weight of more than half a dozen
people at once, as well as the Black Horse pub in Littleport.
It was renamed "The Swan [on the river]" several years ago.
Meh. I bet it's gone upmarket as well.
I'd call it upper-middle. But it's pretty melancholy, perhaps because I
only happened to be there a times it's virtually empty, and the staff
struggled to tear themselves away from whatever they were doing, to
serve a the bar.
It was like that before, when I lived nearby (I lived in Littleport
before moving into Ely).
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Mark Goodge
Given your more up to date local knowledge, can you answer a question
that a friend of mine posed on Facebook in response to my similar post
there? That is, is there still a regular disco at The Cutter Inn? (Feel
free to answer it there, if you want. It's a public post).
In the eight years I've been familiar with the place, no discos. The
only regular "thing" was for a couple of years a quiz night (Mon, or was
it Tue).
That's what I expected. The only time I've visited it since moving away,
the former function room (which is where the regular Saturday night
disco was held) had become a restaurant. It's certainly gone all
gastropub if the photos on Tripadvisor are anything to go by.

Mark
Roland Perry
2020-11-26 20:04:07 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Mark Goodge
Given your more up to date local knowledge, can you answer a question
that a friend of mine posed on Facebook in response to my similar post
there? That is, is there still a regular disco at The Cutter Inn? (Feel
free to answer it there, if you want. It's a public post).
In the eight years I've been familiar with the place, no discos. The
only regular "thing" was for a couple of years a quiz night (Mon, or was
it Tue).
That's what I expected. The only time I've visited it since moving away,
the former function room (which is where the regular Saturday night
disco was held) had become a restaurant.
The function room currently (it's rented out for private events) is the
one at the back, and while it's also a bit of an overflow area for meals
ordered from the bar, is often almost empty.
Post by Mark Goodge
It's certainly gone all gastropub if the photos on Tripadvisor are
anything to go by.
Yes, and their main source of revenue is clearly the restaurant which
overlooks the river, plus rather overpriced bar snacks in the front bar.
Arthur Figgis
2020-11-26 18:20:33 UTC
Post by Mark Goodge
you should get a good view from the public right of way 76/12
footbridge, assuming it can take the weight of more than half a dozen
people at once,
Its not as if being in London would avoid that issue...
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK