OT: Avoiding Roman remains
2020-02-03 12:30:43 UTC
We know how tricky it is to build anything, particularly new underground
stations, in the City of London, and not hit Roman archaeology. Crossrail
had to have a major archaeological effort at the site of the new Liverpool
St station.

Well, imagine having to do that in Rome itself, where every potential
station is likely to have to penetrate centuries of historic remains (the
running tunnels are too deep to hit anything):

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rome-metro-diggers-plot-a-route-through-history-w6v3j2phr?shareToken=d5cc9ad2a78b7772cfe4dffa79d93fac>

I took this picture from the Colosseum a few weeks ago, showing the stalled
construction of the adjacent new station, just a few metres away:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49350991396/in/album-72157712573220531/>
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2020-02-03 13:36:17 UTC
We know how tricky it is to build anything, particularly new underground
stations, in the City of London, and not hit Roman archaeology. Crossrail
had to have a major archaeological effort at the site of the new Liverpool
St station.
Well, imagine having to do that in Rome itself, where every potential
station is likely to have to penetrate centuries of historic remains (the
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rome-metro-diggers-plot-a-route-through-history-w6v3j2phr?shareToken=d5cc9ad2a78b7772cfe4dffa79d93fac>
I took this picture from the Colosseum a few weeks ago, showing the stalled
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49350991396/in/album-72157712573220531/>
Istanbul's new line was much the same IIRC.

2020-02-03 14:19:54 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Recliner
We know how tricky it is to build anything, particularly new underground
stations, in the City of London, and not hit Roman archaeology. Crossrail
had to have a major archaeological effort at the site of the new Liverpool
St station.
Well, imagine having to do that in Rome itself, where every potential
station is likely to have to penetrate centuries of historic remains (the
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rome-metro-diggers-plot-a-route-through-history-w6v3j2phr?shareToken=d5cc9ad2a78b7772cfe4dffa79d93fac>
I took this picture from the Colosseum a few weeks ago, showing the stalled
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49350991396/in/album-72157712573220531/>
Istanbul's new line was much the same IIRC.
I don't think preserving culture from before the 11th century Islamic
conquest would be a major priority in Turkey.
Pere Ubu - 2009 - Bring Me The Head Of Ubu Roi
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2020-02-03 16:11:51 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Recliner
We know how tricky it is to build anything, particularly new underground
stations, in the City of London, and not hit Roman archaeology. Crossrail
had to have a major archaeological effort at the site of the new Liverpool
St station.
Well, imagine having to do that in Rome itself, where every potential
station is likely to have to penetrate centuries of historic remains (the
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rome-metro-diggers-plot-a-route-through-history-w6v3j2phr?shareToken=d5cc9ad2a78b7772cfe4dffa79d93fac>
I took this picture from the Colosseum a few weeks ago, showing the stalled
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49350991396/in/album-72157712573220531/>
Istanbul's new line was much the same IIRC.
I don't think preserving culture from before the 11th century Islamic
conquest would be a major priority in Turkey.
I think stuff that old is considered important regardless of what the
subsequent history of the place, so long as it's not currently a war zone.

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmaray> section titled "Delays"

"The project was delayed four years, largely due to the discovery of a
Byzantine-era and other 8,000-year-old archaeological finds on the proposed
site of the European tunnel terminal in 2005.[28] The excavations produced
evidence of the city's largest harbour, the 4th-century Harbour of
Eleutherios (later known as the Harbour of Theodosius).[13] There,
archaeologists uncovered traces of the city wall of Constantine the Great,
and the remains of several ships, including what appears to be the only
ancient or early medieval galley ever discovered, preventing the project
from proceeding at full speed.[29] In addition, the excavation has
uncovered the oldest evidence of settlement in Istanbul, with artifacts,
including amphorae, pottery fragments, shells, pieces of bone, horse
skulls, and nine human skulls found in a bag, dating back to 6,000 BCE.[13]
Glass artefacts and fragments dating from the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine
and Ottoman periods have been found during excavations at Sirkeci.[30]"

Anna Noyd-Dryver
m***@round-midnight.org.uk
2020-02-03 16:33:32 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Recliner
We know how tricky it is to build anything, particularly new underground
stations, in the City of London, and not hit Roman archaeology. Crossrail
had to have a major archaeological effort at the site of the new Liverpool
St station.
Well, imagine having to do that in Rome itself, where every potential
station is likely to have to penetrate centuries of historic remains (the
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rome-metro-diggers-plot-a-route-through-history-w6v3j2phr?shareToken=d5cc9ad2a78b7772cfe4dffa79d93fac>
I took this picture from the Colosseum a few weeks ago, showing the stalled
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49350991396/in/album-72157712573220531/>
Istanbul's new line was much the same IIRC.
I don't think preserving culture from before the 11th century Islamic
conquest would be a major priority in Turkey.
You'll be surprised. They seem to preserve what they can and restore
when resources are available.
michael adams
2020-02-03 17:30:18 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Recliner
We know how tricky it is to build anything, particularly new underground
stations, in the City of London, and not hit Roman archaeology. Crossrail
had to have a major archaeological effort at the site of the new Liverpool
St station.
Well, imagine having to do that in Rome itself, where every potential
station is likely to have to penetrate centuries of historic remains (the
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rome-metro-diggers-plot-a-route-through-history-w6v3j2phr?shareToken=d5cc9ad2a78b7772cfe4dffa79d93fac>
I took this picture from the Colosseum a few weeks ago, showing the stalled
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/49350991396/in/album-72157712573220531/>
Istanbul's new line was much the same IIRC.
I don't think preserving culture from before the 11th century Islamic conquest would be
a major priority in Turkey.
It would attract tourists for a start. Many/most of whom would be interested
- or could be persuaded to be interested - in early Byzantine cuture either
on site, or displayed in museums.

michael adams

Arthur Figgis
2020-02-03 18:34:27 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Istanbul's new line was much the same IIRC.
I don't think preserving culture from before the 11th century Islamic
conquest
1453 for what is now Istanbul, surely?
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
h***@yahoo.co.uk
I think that same happens in Athens.
Basil Jet
2020-02-03 22:09:01 UTC
We know how tricky it is to build anything, particularly new underground
stations, in the City of London, and not hit Roman archaeology. Crossrail
had to have a major archaeological effort at the site of the new Liverpool
St station.
Well, imagine having to do that in Rome itself, where every potential
station is likely to have to penetrate centuries of historic remains (the
Hence it takes so long to build metro lines or extend existing ones
there. Everything has to stop once they find anything, so that experts
can examine it.
In a deep hole in London recently they discovered remains of a railway
which had been started in antiquity but never completed.
T.G.T. (The Genetic Terrorists) - 1990 - White Stains
Nick Leverton
2020-02-03 23:39:22 UTC
We know how tricky it is to build anything, particularly new underground
stations, in the City of London, and not hit Roman archaeology. Crossrail
had to have a major archaeological effort at the site of the new Liverpool
St station.
Well, imagine having to do that in Rome itself, where every potential
station is likely to have to penetrate centuries of historic remains (the
Hence it takes so long to build metro lines or extend existing ones
there. Everything has to stop once they find anything, so that experts
can examine it.
In a deep hole in London recently they discovered remains of a railway
which had been started in antiquity but never completed.
The fabled Ferriviaria Crucis ?

Nick
Crossrail? ;)
Marland
2020-02-04 09:20:29 UTC
We know how tricky it is to build anything, particularly new underground
stations, in the City of London, and not hit Roman archaeology. Crossrail
had to have a major archaeological effort at the site of the new Liverpool
St station.
Well, imagine having to do that in Rome itself, where every potential
station is likely to have to penetrate centuries of historic remains (the
Hence it takes so long to build metro lines or extend existing ones
there. Everything has to stop once they find anything, so that experts
can examine it.
In a deep hole in London recently they discovered remains of a railway
which had been started in antiquity but never completed.
VBG. ,

I hope the gauge turned out to be based on the width of 2 horses arses
between the shafts of a cart otherwise much of the world will realise they
have chosen their gauge on a misapprehension.