Gasworks Tunnel
2021-03-06 22:22:53 UTC
Look what was seen coming out of the disused Gasworks Tunnel:
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0VIp7XMAcZiim?format=jpg&name=large>
Marland
2021-03-06 22:35:29 UTC
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0VIp7XMAcZiim?format=jpg&name=large>
Henry the Green Engine has had a make over.

GH
Sam Wilson
2021-03-07 00:39:03 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Recliner
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0VIp7XMAcZiim?format=jpg&name=large>
Henry the Green Engine has had a make over.
Looking a bit grubby!

Sam
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
Marland
2021-03-07 11:02:37 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
Post by Recliner
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0VIp7XMAcZiim?format=jpg&name=large>
Henry the Green Engine has had a make over.
Looking a bit grubby!
Sam
So was Henry when the Fat Controller eventually let him out.

For those who are mystified.

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry

GH
Sam Wilson
2021-03-07 19:23:48 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
Post by Recliner
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0VIp7XMAcZiim?format=jpg&name=large>
Henry the Green Engine has had a make over.
Looking a bit grubby!
Sam
So was Henry when the Fat Controller eventually let him out.
Yes, appropriately so!
Post by Marland
For those who are mystified.
https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry
We used to have an EP with Johnny Morris reading that.

Sam
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
m***@round-midnight.org.uk

GB
2021-03-07 20:31:44 UTC
Post by m***@round-midnight.org.uk
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
For those who are mystified.
https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry
We used to have an EP with Johnny Morris reading that.
Sam
And here it is:-
http://youtu.be/lmd8kmeEx44
The Fat Director became the Fat Controller when the trains were
nationalised.
Sam Wilson
2021-03-07 22:33:13 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
For those who are mystified.
https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry
We used to have an EP with Johnny Morris reading that.
Sam
And here it is:-
http://youtu.be/lmd8kmeEx44
Wow! Brings back memories of the little red Dansette! Thank you.

Sam
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
Christopher A. Lee
Would the B-side be an EPB?
Marland
2021-03-07 20:50:18 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
For those who are mystified.
https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry
We used to have an EP with Johnny Morris reading that.
Sam
I had it as well unless there were more than one with the stories on it,
one of them has a reasonable recording of a steam train going fast .
Mother got quite fed up one afternoon when I borrowed her Garrard record
player and attempted with various measures of success to synchronise that
section of the recording with my Tri-ang Princess Royal and coaches on
there never ending journey around a track on 6’x4’ board which represented

wherever I wanted it to be.

GH
Sam Wilson
2021-03-07 22:33:14 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
For those who are mystified.
https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry
We used to have an EP with Johnny Morris reading that.
Sam
I had it as well unless there were more than one with the stories on it,
one of them has a reasonable recording of a steam train going fast .
Mother got quite fed up one afternoon when I borrowed her Garrard record
player and attempted with various measures of success to synchronise that
section of the recording with my Tri-ang Princess Royal and coaches on
there never ending journey around a track on 6’x4’ board which represented
wherever I wanted it to be.
And Morris got the rhythms right which, ironically, the Beatles’s drummer
never did!

Sam
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2021-03-08 07:17:17 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
For those who are mystified.
https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry
We used to have an EP with Johnny Morris reading that.
Sam
I had it as well unless there were more than one with the stories on it,
one of them has a reasonable recording of a steam train going fast .
Mother got quite fed up one afternoon when I borrowed her Garrard record
player and attempted with various measures of success to synchronise that
section of the recording with my Tri-ang Princess Royal and coaches on
there never ending journey around a track on 6’x4’ board which represented
wherever I wanted it to be.
And Morris got the rhythms right which, ironically, the Beatles’s drummer
never did!
I'm reminded of the quote about "The best drummer in the world? Ringo
wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles!" - though apparently it
originated in a 1981 BBC Radio 4 comedy show rather than actually from John
Lennon!

<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/>

2021-03-08 09:12:53 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
I'm reminded of the quote about "The best drummer in the world? Ringo
wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles!" - though apparently it
originated in a 1981 BBC Radio 4 comedy show rather than actually from John
Lennon!
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/>
McCartney was such a good drummer that it's arguable that Ringo really
wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles.
2005 - Bang Bang Rock & Roll - Art Brut
Christopher A. Lee
2021-03-08 14:16:08 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
I'm reminded of the quote about "The best drummer in the world? Ringo
wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles!" - though apparently it
originated in a 1981 BBC Radio 4 comedy show rather than actually from John
Lennon!
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/>
McCartney was such a good drummer that it's arguable that Ringo really
wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles.
A clip from the American b/w TV show I've got a secret"...

Graeme Wall
2021-03-08 17:30:03 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
I'm reminded of the quote about "The best drummer in the world? Ringo
wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles!" - though apparently it
originated in a 1981 BBC Radio 4 comedy show rather than actually from John
Lennon!
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/>
McCartney was such a good drummer that it's arguable that Ringo really
wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles.
I'm told that technically, Pete Best was the better drummer, he just
didn't fit with the other members.
Sam Wilson
2021-03-09 15:44:10 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
I'm reminded of the quote about "The best drummer in the world? Ringo
wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles!" - though apparently it
originated in a 1981 BBC Radio 4 comedy show rather than actually from John
Lennon!
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/>
McCartney was such a good drummer that it's arguable that Ringo really
wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles.
I'm told that technically, Pete Best was the better drummer, he just
didn't fit with the other members.
Technically Ringo has an unusual style - he’s left handed but plays a
right-handed drum kit so he doesn’t necessarily play the same drum patterns
as other people.

Sam
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
Christopher A. Lee
2021-03-09 17:06:50 UTC
On Tue, 9 Mar 2021 15:44:10 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
I'm reminded of the quote about "The best drummer in the world? Ringo
wasn’t even the best drummer in the Beatles!" - though apparently it
originated in a 1981 BBC Radio 4 comedy show rather than actually from John
Lennon!
<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-lennon-ringo-best-drummer/>
McCartney was such a good drummer that it's arguable that Ringo really
wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles.
I'm told that technically, Pete Best was the better drummer, he just
didn't fit with the other members.
Technically Ringo has an unusual style - he’s left handed but plays a
right-handed drum kit so he doesn’t necessarily play the same drum patterns
as other people.
Pete Best on the American b/w panel game "I've got a secret".

Trolleybus
2021-03-08 09:44:35 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
Post by Recliner
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0VIp7XMAcZiim?format=jpg&name=large>
Henry the Green Engine has had a make over.
Looking a bit grubby!
Sam
So was Henry when the Fat Controller eventually let him out.
Sigh. Youngsters.

When I were a lad it wasn't The Fat Controller and it certainly wasn't
Sir Topham Hat (who sounds, not coincidently, like a character from
Bridgerton).

It was The Fat Comptroller.
GH
NY
2021-03-08 10:06:34 UTC
Post by Marland
https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sad_Story_of_Henry
Where did the spelling "comptroller" come from? Is it etymologically more
correct than "controller"? Is "comptroller" actually pronounced with an "n"
and a silent "p", and was the spelling therefore changed to match the
pronunciation? Was "comptroller" still an accepted (ie not archaic) spelling
when Rev Awdry wrote his books in the 1940s?

Interesting how spellings evolve over the years:

alarum -> alarm
shew -> show (*)
comptrol(ler) -> control(ler)
connexion -> connection

Connexion is a weird one. Was it actually pronounced as spelled, with an X
sound in the middle rather than the "sh" sound of "connection"?

(*) As in the sign on Wakefield buses even into the 1940s and 1950s "All
tickets must be shewn". My dad can remember that everyone ridiculed the
spelling and offered to "shoo" their tickets to the conductor, so evidently
it was seriously archaic even then.
GB
2021-03-08 10:25:17 UTC
Post by NY
a silent "p"
Silent, like the pee in bath.

Or, the particularly apt French for swimming pool: piscine.
Roland Perry
2021-03-08 11:45:41 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Post by Marland
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Marland
Post by Recliner
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ev0VIp7XMAcZiim?format=jpg&name=large>
Henry the Green Engine has had a make over.
Looking a bit grubby!
Sam
So was Henry when the Fat Controller eventually let him out.
Sigh. Youngsters.
When I were a lad it wasn't The Fat Controller and it certainly wasn't
Sir Topham Hat (who sounds, not coincidently, like a character from
Bridgerton).
It was The Fat Comptroller.
Notwitstanding:

I have some first edition Thomas books (plus the one with Gordon in the
tunnel: The Three Railway Engines, the first in the series) and the
person in question then was "The Fat Director".

Book 2 "The Fat Director"

Book 3 (James the Red Engine) Arghh - This one seems to be missing from
my collection. If someone has an original copy from the 50's
maybe they can look.

But by book 4 and onwrds it was "The Fat Controller".

Gordon was rehabilitated in number seven of the series (published 1953)
the forward of which says:

Dear Ian,

You asked for a book about Gordon. Here it is. Gordon has been
naughty, and The Fat Controller was stern with him.

Gordon has now learnt his lesson and is a Really Useful Engine
again.

I wonder if Andrew Lloyd Webber was a Thomas fan.
Trolleybus
2021-03-09 08:02:52 UTC
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71UPmoigOaL._AC_SL1184_.jpg
I have some first edition Thomas books (plus the one with Gordon in the
tunnel: The Three Railway Engines, the first in the series) and the
person in question then was "The Fat Director".
Book 2 "The Fat Director"
Book 3 (James the Red Engine) Arghh - This one seems to be missing from
my collection. If someone has an original copy from the 50's
maybe they can look.
But by book 4 and onwrds it was "The Fat Controller".
Gordon was rehabilitated in number seven of the series (published 1953)
Dear Ian,
You asked for a book about Gordon. Here it is. Gordon has been
naughty, and The Fat Controller was stern with him.
Gordon has now learnt his lesson and is a Really Useful Engine
again.
I wonder if Andrew Lloyd Webber was a Thomas fan.
That seems odd. Have any fictional characters had more names?

Were there different editions, perhaps regional? My memories would be
from copies circulating in the 60s. I didn't have a clue what a
comptroller was. I still don't other than a vague idea it's more akin
to a chief accountant that an operations person.
Roland Perry
2021-03-09 08:34:39 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Trolleybus
[...]
Regional books - no I don't recognise that concept.
Post by Trolleybus
My memories would be from copies circulating in the 60s.
Mine are from the 50's
2021-03-09 08:48:09 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Post by Trolleybus
My memories would be from copies circulating in the 60s.
Mine are from the 50's
I've only one survivor from the 1950s, Toby The Tram Engine, he's
definitely the Fat Controller in that one.
2021-03-09 09:08:16 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Post by Trolleybus
My memories would be from copies circulating in the 60s.
Mine are from the 50's
I've only one survivor from the 1950s, Toby The Tram Engine, he's
definitely the Fat Controller in that one.
That's number 7, and I've already posted that the name had changed by
number 4.

The only open question is what the name was in number 3.
Sam Wilson
2021-03-09 15:44:11 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Post by Trolleybus
My memories would be from copies circulating in the 60s.
Mine are from the 50's
I've only one survivor from the 1950s, Toby The Tram Engine, he's
definitely the Fat Controller in that one.
That's number 7, and I've already posted that the name had changed by
number 4.
The only open question is what the name was in number 3.
James The Red Engine was my first Railway book and my first memories are of
The Fat Controller. Take that as any kind of evidence you like.

Sam
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
Roland Perry
2021-03-09 16:48:29 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Trolleybus
Post by Trolleybus
My memories would be from copies circulating in the 60s.
Mine are from the 50's
I've only one survivor from the 1950s, Toby The Tram Engine, he's
definitely the Fat Controller in that one.
That's number 7, and I've already posted that the name had changed by
number 4.
The only open question is what the name was in number 3.
James The Red Engine was my first Railway book and my first memories are of
The Fat Controller. Take that as any kind of evidence you like.
Sounds good.
And before PC intervened the term “Fat Controller “ was easily understood
and remembered amongst the Target audience of young children, that the
character is instantly remembered by quite a few readers is evidence that
target was well and truly hit. I don’t know when or where this term “ The
Fat Comptroller “ was used but it doesn’t sound like a term that would be
used for Children aged around 6 who will not be aware of the term

Could it have been a misprint on a few books that got through?

2021-03-09 17:33:28 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Trolleybus
Post by Trolleybus
[...]
Was there ever an American version?
Arthur Figgis
2021-03-10 21:37:17 UTC
And before PC intervened the term “Fat Controller  “ was easily
understood
and remembered amongst the Target audience of young children, that the
character is instantly remembered by quite a few readers is evidence that
target was well and truly hit. I don’t know when or where this term  “
The
Fat Comptroller “ was used but it doesn’t sound like a term that would be
used for Children  aged around  6  who will not be aware of the term
Could it have been a misprint on a few books that got through?
Was there ever an American version?
"The just a normal size Controller"?
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Sam Wilson
2021-03-10 21:43:34 UTC
Post by Arthur Figgis
Post by Graeme Wall
And before PC intervened the term “Fat Controller  “ was easily
understood
and remembered amongst the Target audience of young children, that the
character is instantly remembered by quite a few readers is evidence that
target was well and truly hit. I don’t know when or where this term  “
The
Fat Comptroller “ was used but it doesn’t sound like a term that would be
used for Children  aged around  6  who will not be aware of the term
Could it have been a misprint on a few books that got through?
Was there ever an American version?
"The just a normal size Controller"?
“regular size”

Sam
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
Trolleybus
2021-03-09 08:24:30 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Sigh. Youngsters.
When I were a lad it wasn't The Fat Controller and it certainly wasn't
Sir Topham Hat (who sounds, not coincidently, like a character from
Bridgerton).
It was The Fat Comptroller.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71UPmoigOaL._AC_SL1184_.jpg
I have some first edition Thomas books (plus the one with Gordon in the
tunnel: The Three Railway Engines, the first in the series) and the
person in question then was "The Fat Director".
Book 2 "The Fat Director"
Wiki suggests the Fat Director was used for a couple of books. The web
is scattered with references to the Fat Comptroller but on Wiki Talk a
chap suggesting (in 2006) that the name Fat Comptroller was ever used
was basically told to go away.

Fat Comptroller clearly WAS used, as a search for the term will show.
I suspect the name was changed to controller many years ago as
comptroller was an unusual word and controller almost a homophone.

Controller seems an odd title and not in common (non-railway) use. But
railways do have control offices. Were those working in control styled
as Controllers?
Roland Perry
2021-03-09 08:37:02 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Trolleybus
[...]
I've posted evidence it went from Director to Controller in the early
50's.

When is your first sighting on Comptroller?
Trolleybus
2021-03-09 09:51:40 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Wiki suggests the Fat Director was used for a couple of books. The web
is scattered with references to the Fat Comptroller but on Wiki Talk a
chap suggesting (in 2006) that the name Fat Comptroller was ever used
was basically told to go away.
Fat Comptroller clearly WAS used, as a search for the term will show.
I suspect the name was changed to controller many years ago as
comptroller was an unusual word and controller almost a homophone.
Controller seems an odd title and not in common (non-railway) use. But
railways do have control offices. Were those working in control styled
as Controllers?
I've posted evidence it went from Director to Controller in the early
50's.
When is your first sighting on Comptroller?
As a boy it's the only term I can remember seeing, sticking in the
memory because it seemed an odd word. I'd guess around 1960, so not
long before this thread started in 2004.

I'd have been willing to consider the possibility that I'd been
mistaken if there weren't others with similar memories out there.
Roland Perry
2021-03-09 10:02:52 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Trolleybus
[...]
I don't think you are mistaken, but we are trying to establish the
timeline of when the job description changed.

Prior to 1949 it was "Fat Director", and the newest one I have is 1961
(Branch Line Engines, No16, a genuine first edition) when it was still
"Fat Controller".

In the interim, never "Fat Comptroller".

Did it perhaps go Director - Controller - Comptroller - Controller ?
Trolleybus
2021-03-09 12:26:42 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Trolleybus
[...]
Maybe, of maybe the books that had comptroller were changed to
controller at reprint?

Could make an interesting research project for a bored person.
Roger Lynn
2021-03-09 21:52:26 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Wiki suggests the Fat Director was used for a couple of books. The web
is scattered with references to the Fat Comptroller but on Wiki Talk a
chap suggesting (in 2006) that the name Fat Comptroller was ever used
was basically told to go away.
Fat Comptroller clearly WAS used, as a search for the term will show.
I suspect the name was changed to controller many years ago as
comptroller was an unusual word and controller almost a homophone.
Controller seems an odd title and not in common (non-railway) use. But
railways do have control offices. Were those working in control styled
as Controllers?
I've posted evidence it went from Director to Controller in the early
50's.
The introduction to book 3, "James the Red Engine", first published in 1948,
(c) in this edition 2002, says:

Dear Friends of Edward, Gordon, Henry
and Thomas,

Thank you for your kind letters; here is the
new book or which you asked.
James, who crashed into the story of /Thomas,
the Tank Engine/, settles down and becomes a
useful engine.
We are nationalised now, but the same
engines still work the Region. I am glad, too,
to tell you that the Fat Director, who under-
stands our friends' ways, is still in charge, but
is now the Fat Controller.
I hope you will enjoy this book too.
The Author

This matches my memories of the books from the early '80s.
Trolleybus
2021-03-10 09:37:36 UTC
Post by Roger Lynn
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Trolleybus
[...]
That's a reprint. Has anyone a 1948 copy? I assume that reprints in
those days rarely altered text, but a move from comptroller to
controller may have been manageable.
Roland Perry
2021-03-10 09:51:46 UTC
Post by Trolleybus
Post by Roger Lynn
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Trolleybus
[...]
I've got 1954 editions of Book 4, 7 & 9 and it's Fat Controller in
those. (And in all the other later-printed books - apart from 1 [1954] &
2 [1955], where it's Fat Director.) It's a fairly convincing audit
trail.