uk.railway - gone
2020-10-11 09:05:51 UTC
due to drug dealers ...
}
It's a shame there isn't a way to ask Google to reconsider given that
uk.railway is clearly a USENET group, and thus unlike other types of
Google Group doesn't necessarily have a moderator that can step in to remove spam content.
What is more annoying is that like with uk.transport.london, whilst
blocking the group does block the spam or malware, it also denies access
to the archive of many many legitimate posting that were made before a
bunch of criminal and irresponsible spammers caused it to be blocked for everyone else.
I suspect that the blocking might even be automatic, based on the sheer
volume of spam reported (given what happened on uk.transport.london).
It's simply easier to block the whole group than it is to find and hold
the individual spammers criminally responsible for their questionable
activities, or potential abuse of Google Groups platform (Google's
seeming inability to tackle spammers seems to be a ongoing issue, even
more surprising given that there are credible anti-spam technology
solutions actively avaialble and in use on other Google services like G-mail )
My guess is that Google Groups is an almost-forgotten legacy operation that
runs on a shoestring, with minimal staff. No Google high-flier is going to
want to waste their career in that backwater. Maybe one day Google will
just shut GG down altogether?
Graeme Wall
2020-10-11 09:56:43 UTC
due to drug dealers ...
}
[...]
I suspect they lost interest when they discovered there was no easy way
to monopolise and monetise it
Certes
2020-10-11 10:25:39 UTC
due to drug dealers ...
}
[...]
Google Groups rebranded Usenet and added new groups not found on Usenet.
Now that they have driven enough traffic to Google, the Usenet groups
can safely be removed.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish>
Recliner
2020-10-11 11:26:09 UTC
Post by Certes
due to drug dealers ...
}
[...]
I assume Google tracks you and shows you ads if you use the GG web
interface. It can't do that if you use a dedicated usenet client, so Google
gets no benefit. So it prefers groups that can only be accessed via GG.
Recliner
2020-10-11 11:32:43 UTC
Or you could just use a different news server. Usenet is a distributed system
and thankfully, Google does not control it, they just offer access. I was able
to add uk.railway from astraweb and downloaded over 1m headers.
Spam in unmoderated Usenet groups has been around since the beginning of time.
The traditional way of dealing with it is a newsreader than offers reasonable
keyword and baysean filtering.
Unfortunately there are people who think that usenet groups are part of
Google Groups, and not something that existed long before Google was
invented. So when GG cuts off access to a usenet group, because of all the
drug spam that was being injected via GG, those people think the group is
dead and gone, hence the misleading title of this thread.
b***@nuttyella.co.uk
2020-10-11 16:02:42 UTC
On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 11:32:43 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Recliner
Or you could just use a different news server. Usenet is a distributed system
and thankfully, Google does not control it, they just offer access. I was
able
to add uk.railway from astraweb and downloaded over 1m headers.
Spam in unmoderated Usenet groups has been around since the beginning of
time.
The traditional way of dealing with it is a newsreader than offers reasonable
keyword and baysean filtering.
Unfortunately there are people who think that usenet groups are part of
Google Groups, and not something that existed long before Google was
invented. So when GG cuts off access to a usenet group, because of all the
drug spam that was being injected via GG, those people think the group is
dead and gone, hence the misleading title of this thread.
I'm curious as to which drug dealers are so dumb they think the demographic
on usenet would be the slightest bit interested in their wares. They'd be
far better off spamming snapchat or tiktok in some way.
Roland Perry
2020-10-11 16:19:34 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
What's going on here is that the people purporting to sell the drugs
(let's assume for now they aren't actually trying to propagate
drive-by-malware) are sold a package of 'places/people we'll spam for
you' by a broker.

It's the broker who adds Usenet to that portfolio, and frankly the
spammers don't have much of an incentive to try to reduce the price by
asking them to desist from spamming Usenet.
Certes
2020-10-12 00:56:55 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
Perhaps they have never heard of Usenet but target Google Groups, seeing
Google as a young trendy company with products attractive to drug users.
From their perspective, Google Groups used to run a forum called
uk.railway which has now been banned by Google and no longer exists.
Recliner
2020-10-12 02:06:24 UTC
Post by Certes
Post by Recliner
[...]
From their perspective, Google Groups used to run a forum called
uk.railway which has now been banned by Google and no longer exists.
Yes, that's probably about it. I don't suppose they ever tried to track how
many orders they got via this channel (almost certainly zero).
b***@nuttyella.co.uk
2020-10-12 07:41:01 UTC
On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 01:56:55 +0100
Post by Certes
Post by Roland Perry
It's the broker who adds Usenet to that portfolio, and frankly the
spammers don't have much of an incentive to try to reduce the price by
asking them to desist from spamming Usenet.
Perhaps they have never heard of Usenet but target Google Groups, seeing
Google as a young trendy company with products attractive to drug users.
From their perspective, Google Groups used to run a forum called
uk.railway which has now been banned by Google and no longer exists.
Can only be a good thing long term. I suspect the only people who access
this group via google is the spammers.
Recliner
2020-10-12 08:20:50 UTC
Post by Certes
Post by Roland Perry
It's the broker who adds Usenet to that portfolio, and frankly the
spammers don't have much of an incentive to try to reduce the price by
asking them to desist from spamming Usenet.
Perhaps they have never heard of Usenet but target Google Groups, seeing
Google as a young trendy company with products attractive to drug users.
From their perspective, Google Groups used to run a forum called
uk.railway which has now been banned by Google and no longer exists.
Can only be a good thing long term. I suspect the only people who access
this group via google is the spammers.
No, there were legitimate users as well — hence this thread on uk.transprt.

One person who may or may not be missed is Marcus Potter. He kept telling
us how computer literate he was, so I wonder if he'll find a way back?
b***@nuttyella.co.uk
2020-10-12 09:07:15 UTC
Post by Certes
Post by Roland Perry
It's the broker who adds Usenet to that portfolio, and frankly the
spammers don't have much of an incentive to try to reduce the price by
asking them to desist from spamming Usenet.
Perhaps they have never heard of Usenet but target Google Groups, seeing
Google as a young trendy company with products attractive to drug users.
From their perspective, Google Groups used to run a forum called
uk.railway which has now been banned by Google and no longer exists.
Can only be a good thing long term. I suspect the only people who access
this group via google is the spammers.
No, there were legitimate users as well — hence this thread on uk.transprt.
One person who may or may not be missed is Marcus Potter. He kept telling
us how computer literate he was, so I wonder if he'll find a way back?
If his idea of computer literacy is just using a web browser then probably not.
But while aioe.org is still free to use there's no excuse for people with
a bit of IT nous not being on usenet.
Sam Wilson
2020-10-12 09:07:45 UTC
Post by Certes
Post by Recliner
[...]
From their perspective, Google Groups used to run a forum called
uk.railway which has now been banned by Google and no longer exists.
Interestingly I’ve seen one Ketamine etc ad since the cut off, ostensibly
injected into Usenet from XSUsenet.com with no sign of Google in the Path:
header or elsewhere.

I don’t know who XSUsenet are and I’m not sure I want to poke too hard.

Sam
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
MikeS
2020-10-12 14:36:04 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Certes
Post by Recliner
[...]
From their perspective, Google Groups used to run a forum called
uk.railway which has now been banned by Google and no longer exists.
Interestingly I’ve seen one Ketamine etc ad since the cut off, ostensibly
header or elsewhere.
I don’t know who XSUsenet are and I’m not sure I want to poke too hard.
Sam
Much of the drug etc spam on Usenet seems to arrive via Google so it
would be best if they drop all Usenet groups.

Usenet was designed to use with clients and there are still plenty of
free PC ones. I cannot understand why anyone in this thread is lamenting
the loss of access from Google Groups except perhaps the dearth of free
Usenet clients to use on a phone.
Certes
Google Groups was as easy to search as any other website. Usenet isn't.
Roland Perry
2020-10-12 15:50:39 UTC
I cannot understand why anyone in this thread is lamenting the loss of
access from Google Groups except perhaps the dearth of free Usenet
clients to use on a phone.
It's the archive search which is most important.
b***@nuttyella.co.uk
2020-10-12 16:05:22 UTC
On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 16:50:39 +0100
Post by Roland Perry
I cannot understand why anyone in this thread is lamenting the loss of
access from Google Groups except perhaps the dearth of free Usenet
clients to use on a phone.
It's the archive search which is most important.
If it leads to the end of "But 5 years ago you wrote this...","Yes but 7 years
ago you stated...." type threads that go on forever it can only be a good thing.
Recliner
2020-10-12 16:08:58 UTC
I cannot understand why anyone in this thread is lamenting the loss of
access from Google Groups except perhaps the dearth of free Usenet
clients to use on a phone.
It's the archive search which is most important.
Yes. I'd be happy if GG still actively hosted the group on a read-only,
searchable basis. We don't need posts from GG, but it would be nice if GG
users could read posts from elsewhere.
Christopher A. Lee
Which they broke many years ago.
MikeS
2020-10-12 16:52:52 UTC
I cannot understand why anyone in this thread is lamenting the loss of
access from Google Groups except perhaps the dearth of free Usenet
clients to use on a phone.
It's the archive search which is most important.
TBH I cannot say I have ever wanted to search old Usenet posts but those
of you suffering withdrawal symptoms might like to take a look here
http://www.harley.com/usenet/usenet-tutorial/usenet-search-engines-nzb-files.html
For anyone really desperate there is also the expensive Giganews archive.
Bill Borland
2020-10-12 17:46:06 UTC
In article <rm16d1$eap$***@dont-email.me>, Sam Wilson <***@dummy.wislons.f
astmail.co.uk> writes
<big snip>
Post by Sam Wilson
I don’t know who XSUsenet are and I’m not sure I want to poke too hard.
XSUsenet.com is a news-reader (or do I mean "client"?) which (a) is free
and (b) carries binary groups like alt.binaries.pictures.rail.
Bill Borland
Eric
2020-10-12 19:29:27 UTC
Post by Bill Borland
astmail.co.uk> writes
<big snip>
Post by Sam Wilson
I don’t know who XSUsenet are and I’m not sure I want to poke too hard.
XSUsenet.com is a news-reader (or do I mean "client"?) which (a) is free
and (b) carries binary groups like alt.binaries.pictures.rail.
XSUsenet is not a news-reader (or any other sort of client), it is a
provider, which is why it can "carry" a binary group if it feels like it.
There is a free account type, but you can't post through it. I have
no direct experience, but it seems to live in the same market niche
as Giganews.

I have a suspicion that any usenet provider with paid accounts, binary
groups, and a VPN product is making most of its money from those who
want binary groups which are not at all like alt.binaries.pictures.rail .

Eric
ms fnd in a lbry
Recliner
2020-10-11 20:38:48 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
I'm pretty sure their automated scripts simply target the few groups that
still have much traffic. They probably pay little attention to its subject,
though I notice that a few did seem to acknowledge that it was a uk group.
That's obviously something that might be automated, too.

We don't know, of course, how many of them actually have drugs to sell, or
if they're just after the punters' money. They might just be the successors
of the Nigerian princes with a fortune to share.
Scott
My sense of history is that Usenet predated the Internet.
Graeme Wall
2020-10-13 18:06:39 UTC
Post by Recliner
Or you could just use a different news server. Usenet is a distributed system
and thankfully, Google does not control it, they just offer access. I was able
to add uk.railway from astraweb and downloaded over 1m headers.
Spam in unmoderated Usenet groups has been around since the beginning of time.
The traditional way of dealing with it is a newsreader than offers reasonable
keyword and baysean filtering.
Unfortunately there are people who think that usenet groups are part of
Google Groups, and not something that existed long before Google was
invented. So when GG cuts off access to a usenet group, because of all the
drug spam that was being injected via GG, those people think the group is
dead and gone, hence the misleading title of this thread.
My sense of history is that Usenet predated the Internet.
ITYM Usenet predated the World Wide Web
2020-10-13 20:32:56 UTC
Post by Recliner
Or you could just use a different news server. Usenet is a distributed system
and thankfully, Google does not control it, they just offer access. I was able
to add uk.railway from astraweb and downloaded over 1m headers.
Spam in unmoderated Usenet groups has been around since the beginning of time.
The traditional way of dealing with it is a newsreader than offers reasonable
keyword and baysean filtering.
Unfortunately there are people who think that usenet groups are part of
Google Groups, and not something that existed long before Google was
invented. So when GG cuts off access to a usenet group, because of all the
drug spam that was being injected via GG, those people think the group is
dead and gone, hence the misleading title of this thread.
My sense of history is that Usenet predated the Internet.
ITYM Usenet predated the World Wide Web
Yes, I was accessing usenet before the Web, more than 25 years ago. In the
early days of the Web, of course, there wasn't much available, and it was
hard to find. No one search engine could find everything, so I had a group
search utility that fired off searches on half a dozen different engines,
then aggregated and ranked their results. All via dial-up, of course. It
made each search a project in its own right
John Levine
2020-10-13 21:00:39 UTC
Post by Scott
My sense of history is that Usenet predated the Internet.
ITYM Usenet predated the World Wide Web
Both, really. In its first decade, Usenet traffic mostly went over
dial-up phone connections using uucp. I think I still have the Telebit
modem card I got because it had special coding to make uucp data
transfer faster. I unsoldered the UART chip and installed a socket for
a better one that made it easier or my 386 Unix box to keep up.

We had gateways to the Internet but in that era there weren't a lot of
usenet sites on the Internet. That changed around the time the Web
appeared.
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Mark Goodge
2020-10-13 18:54:42 UTC
Post by Recliner
Or you could just use a different news server. Usenet is a distributed system
and thankfully, Google does not control it, they just offer access. I was able
to add uk.railway from astraweb and downloaded over 1m headers.
Spam in unmoderated Usenet groups has been around since the beginning of time.
The traditional way of dealing with it is a newsreader than offers reasonable
keyword and baysean filtering.
Unfortunately there are people who think that usenet groups are part of
Google Groups, and not something that existed long before Google was
invented. So when GG cuts off access to a usenet group, because of all the
drug spam that was being injected via GG, those people think the group is
dead and gone, hence the misleading title of this thread.
My sense of history is that Usenet predated the Internet.
Sort of. It predates public access to the Internet, but the Internet's
antecendants go back a lot further than that. And the term "Internet"
was in use (albeit as only one protocol of what was then still ARPANET)
as early as the 1970s. Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) was first
documented in 1981, in RFC 791, which is slightly earlier than the first
documentation of Usenet in RFC 850 (in 1983). Although, of course,
Usenet, in a form that we would recognise as such, was in early use
before that.

It's probably more true to say that the Internet and Usenet originally
evolved separately, but converged in the early 1980s. RFC 850 explicitly
states that Usenet messages should be formatted as valid ARPANET mail
messages, even if not transmitted via ARPANET.

Mark