Drones close Gatwick
2018-12-20 00:58:45 UTC
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754>
Optimist
2018-12-20 07:36:41 UTC
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754>
An effective way of reducing aircraft noise!
Roland Perry
2018-12-20 09:35:57 UTC
Post by Optimist
Post by Recliner
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754>
An effective way of reducing aircraft noise!
Police saying they don't want to shoot it down (this assumes they've
literally got it in their sights) because of stray bullets, whereas a
more appropriate technology would be a shotgun.
2018-12-20 10:00:49 UTC
Post by Optimist
Post by Recliner
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754>
An effective way of reducing aircraft noise!
Police saying they don't want to shoot it down (this assumes they've
literally got it in their sights) because of stray bullets, whereas a
more appropriate technology would be a shotgun.
I had said to the missis why didn’t they just shoot the thing down,
if the Police haven’t got the right weapon I would think one of the
services would and personnel good enough.
They have had enough time to helicopter someone in from Hereford by now.

Perhaps they did need a licensed bird catcher who could launch one of those
nets they use when they need to catch birds for ringing.

How long are the batteries lasting on this thing anyway .
Can’t help thinking there is more to this than has been made public, a
threat of another drone to be launched filled with explosives or something.

As to who who would that you have the usual suspects to which you can add a
protest group against airport expansion or even someone just jealous of
those going away on holiday.

Perhaps Boltar better post every 1 hour so we know he hasn’t been hauled
in.

GH
b***@eagqh.gov
2018-12-20 10:31:49 UTC
On 20 Dec 2018 10:00:49 GMT
I had said to the missis why didn’t they just shoot the thing down,
if the Police haven’t got the right weapon I would think one of the
services would and personnel good enough.
They have had enough time to helicopter someone in from Hereford by now.
A jammer would be a lot simpler. It seems they don't have one.
protest group against airport expansion or even someone just jealous of
those going away on holiday.
Hardly. We go away when the sheep are back in their pen, it makes for a far
less stressful travel experience. OTHO with all the foreign workers pissing
off home for xmas its made public transport in London far less crowded. It was
almost a pleasure to use the tube this morning. Almost, not quite.
Roland Perry
2018-12-20 10:51:35 UTC
Post by Marland
How long are the batteries lasting on this thing anyway .
Can’t help thinking there is more to this than has been made public, a
threat of another drone to be launched filled with explosives or something.
According to the TV news at breakfast time, it was being relaunched
often enough (but not necessarily for very long) to deem it not safe to
open the airport.
2018-12-20 11:05:05 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Optimist
Post by Recliner
[...]
Amazingly, the disruption has continued into today:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

You'd think they'd have worked out by now both how to disable the drones,
and who was operating them.

I'll be flying from Heathrow tomorrow, so I hope Neil and his drone(s)
won't be heading that way then.
b***@1hcr18zi.net
2018-12-20 11:32:49 UTC
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:05:05 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Recliner
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754
Never mind, at least Gatwick probably has a crime number by now for the
insurance.
Post by Recliner
You'd think they'd have worked out by now both how to disable the drones,
and who was operating them.
I'll be flying from Heathrow tomorrow, so I hope Neil and his drone(s)
won't be heading that way then.
Oh dear, the UK won't have the pleasure of your company over xmas. I guess
we'll just have to muddle along somehow.
b***@l5cyx2z1b7gakgo2il18.ac.uk
2018-12-20 10:02:11 UTC
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 09:35:57 +0000
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Optimist
Post by Recliner
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754>
An effective way of reducing aircraft noise!
Police saying they don't want to shoot it down (this assumes they've
literally got it in their sights) because of stray bullets, whereas a
more appropriate technology would be a shotgun.
More like they haven't got anyone who's a good enough shot. Anyway, surely
they've got a jammer by now? This is hardly a new problem and commercial drones
only operate on a small range of frequencies so unless this is a home brew
one they could have it on the ground in seconds.
b***@oaq.com
2018-12-20 09:37:15 UTC
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 07:36:41 +0000
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 00:58:45 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Post by Recliner
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754>
An effective way of reducing aircraft noise!
Indeed.

All the stupid get-away sheep were on the news bleating about how they'd had
to wait overnight etc blah blah. About time these fuckers suffered some of
the distruption they cause other people in the area who arn't so dumb as to go
away at xmas time but have to suffer all the extra noise and pollution. And no
doubt in a few days we'll have the usual live report from the M1 or M6 as
another flock of sheep all head off out on the motorways at the same time then
act surprised when there are massive traffic jams.
Someone Somewhere
2018-12-20 10:33:58 UTC
Post by Recliner
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754>
An effective way of reducing aircraft noise!
Indeed.
All the stupid get-away sheep were on the news bleating about how they'd had
to wait overnight etc blah blah. About time these fuckers suffered some of
the distruption they cause other people in the area who arn't so dumb as to go
away at xmas time but have to suffer all the extra noise and pollution. And no
doubt in a few days we'll have the usual live report from the M1 or M6 as
another flock of sheep all head off out on the motorways at the same time then
act surprised when there are massive traffic jams.
To be fair, it's hard to say that people have been surprised by the
presence of Gatwick - it's been around longer than most people have been
alive and modern planes are far quieter than older models.

With regards to the roads, Christmas is the one time when people like to
be with their families so the disruption can only be expected.

What is unreasonable is people who think it's reasonable to commute 50+
miles every day and not suffer any disruption - if everyone did that
there would be total gridlock continuously.
b***@ix271hpkyg.net
2018-12-20 11:34:40 UTC
Post by b***@oaq.com
act surprised when there are massive traffic jams.
To be fair, it's hard to say that people have been surprised by the
presence of Gatwick - it's been around longer than most people have been
alive and modern planes are far quieter than older models.
Slightly quieter but a lot lot more of them. Gatwick is the busiest single
runway airport in europe, possibly the world.
Post by Someone Somewhere
What is unreasonable is people who think it's reasonable to commute 50+
miles every day and not suffer any disruption - if everyone did that
there would be total gridlock continuously.
The trains being what they are these days, some people might be forced into
it if their boss has given them an ultimatum - turn up on time or look for a
new job.
Someone Somewhere
2018-12-20 11:54:23 UTC
Post by b***@oaq.com
act surprised when there are massive traffic jams.
To be fair, it's hard to say that people have been surprised by the
presence of Gatwick - it's been around longer than most people have been
alive and modern planes are far quieter than older models.
Slightly quieter but a lot lot more of them. Gatwick is the busiest single
runway airport in europe, possibly the world.
So? I'm not realistically sure what difference it makes if it's one
noisy plane every 15 minutes, or 5 quieter planes every 3 minutes - it's
still nigh on continuous noise.
Post by b***@ix271hpkyg.net
Post by Someone Somewhere
What is unreasonable is people who think it's reasonable to commute 50+
miles every day and not suffer any disruption - if everyone did that
there would be total gridlock continuously.
The trains being what they are these days, some people might be forced into
it if their boss has given them an ultimatum - turn up on time or look for a
new job.
I didn't specify the transport form - it's impossible to size a railway
for everyone commuting 50 miles each way on that either.
b***@f8i9.gov
2018-12-20 12:15:58 UTC
Post by b***@ix271hpkyg.net
Post by b***@oaq.com
act surprised when there are massive traffic jams.
To be fair, it's hard to say that people have been surprised by the
presence of Gatwick - it's been around longer than most people have been
alive and modern planes are far quieter than older models.
Slightly quieter but a lot lot more of them. Gatwick is the busiest single
runway airport in europe, possibly the world.
So? I'm not realistically sure what difference it makes if it's one
noisy plane every 15 minutes, or 5 quieter planes every 3 minutes - it's
still nigh on continuous noise.
1 plane every now and then is hardly continous noise. And its not just noise -
anyone who's been near an airport has smelt the kerosene fumes that drift
along with the wind and can make some people feel sick.
Post by Someone Somewhere
Post by b***@ix271hpkyg.net
The trains being what they are these days, some people might be forced into
it if their boss has given them an ultimatum - turn up on time or look for a
new job.
I didn't specify the transport form - it's impossible to size a railway
for everyone commuting 50 miles each way on that either.
If we still had jobs for life it would be reasonable to expect people to move
near to where they work. Unfortunately we don't.
Roland Perry
2018-12-20 17:42:57 UTC
Post by Someone Somewhere
Post by b***@ix271hpkyg.net
Post by Someone Somewhere
What is unreasonable is people who think it's reasonable to commute
50+ miles every day and not suffer any disruption - if everyone did
there would be total gridlock continuously.
The trains being what they are these days, some people might be
forced into it if their boss has given them an ultimatum - turn up on
time or look for a new job.
I didn't specify the transport form - it's impossible to size a railway
for everyone commuting 50 miles each way on that either.
What commuters need is reliability, and that's the same whatever time
they are aiming to get to work (which could be anywhere from 7am to 10am
depending on their job description).

Workers across that range of times can still find themselves disciplined
for being five minutes late, even if every other day they are 25 minutes
early.
2018-12-20 21:25:01 UTC
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754>
stupid buggers still haven't solved this problem

apparently it "dangerous" to try to shot it down

Methinks it's time to take that risk

2018-12-20 21:41:09 UTC
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754>
stupid buggers still haven't solved this problem
apparently it "dangerous" to try to shot it down
Methinks it's time to take that risk
You'd certainly think the military could take out a hostile drone easily
enough…

Apparently the drones haven't been seen for a while, but they haven't been
brought down or captured, either. And nor have they arrested the
perpetrator, which is the real aim now.

Otherwise, the drones could reappear when the airport reopens. And these
are apparently, 'industrial' drones, not lightweight plastic toys, so they
could do real damage if they were hit by an airliner, or ingested by a jet
engine.