London's only funicular railway closes
2021-09-13 07:34:40 UTC
I think it's not just the only funicular, but the metre gauge line is the
only railway entirely within the City of London. And now it's no more:
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_HFd1oWQAA01GE?format=jpg&name=4096x4096>

In its heyday:
<https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2010/11/20/london-funicular-railway/>

<http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/rail/lon.htm>
Graeme Wall
2021-09-13 08:30:33 UTC
I think it's not just the only funicular, but the metre gauge line is the
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_HFd1oWQAA01GE?format=jpg&name=4096x4096>
<https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2010/11/20/london-funicular-railway/>
<http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/rail/lon.htm>
Never seen in it in use, every time I've been past it's had an out of
order notice.
Yes, I suspect it'll be replaced by something more reliable.
Basil Jet
2021-09-13 12:46:33 UTC
I think it's not just the only funicular, but the metre gauge line is the
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_HFd1oWQAA01GE?format=jpg&name=4096x4096>
<https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2010/11/20/london-funicular-railway/>
<http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/rail/lon.htm>
The inclined lift in Greenford Station is a funicular, with a
counterweight passing under the cabin in a similar way.
2009 - Drunken Maria & Monk Chant - Gossip & Raincoats
Recliner
2021-09-13 13:57:08 UTC
I think it's not just the only funicular, but the metre gauge line is the
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_HFd1oWQAA01GE?format=jpg&name=4096x4096>
<https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2010/11/20/london-funicular-railway/>
<http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/rail/lon.htm>
The inclined lift in Greenford Station is a funicular, with a
counterweight passing under the cabin in a similar way.
Yes, I'm not sure why one is called an inclined lift, and the other one a
funicular. Is it that the Greenford lift is entirely indoors, while the
City one is in the open?