Tim Dunn's "Secrets of the London Underground" - Yesterday channel, now from July 19
2021-07-19 21:41:31 UTC
According to the 6-page article in the present RAIL,
Episode 1 is on Yesterday (Freeview 26) at 8pm-9pm on July 13
Five more hour-long episodes follow at 1 week intervals
That's odd, my Humax thinks that Bangers And Cash on then.
Digiguide and the online and printed versions of Radio Times all say that
there's Bangers and Cash, followed by two episodes of Secrets of the
[Brooklands] Transport Museum.
I think the Secrets of the London Underground series must have been
postponed from its original schedule of first episode on 13 July. The entry
on UKTV's [Yesterday's] web site
https://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/article/uktv-secrets-of-the-london-underground-yesterday/
doesn't give a date, just "later in 2021".
https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/hidden-london/secrets-london-underground says
"this July". https://www.brownbob.com/secrets-of-the-london-underground/
says "later this year". I wonder what unforeseen circumstance led to them
scheduling it for 13 July and then postponing it.
Keeping watching this space. I'll post to the thread if I get any further
info.
They've tweeted the new date: it will begin on Monday 19th July at 8pm, on
Yesterday.
Thanks, and 10/10 for changing the subject line!
Well, after all the reminders, I hope everyone interested watched or
recorded it. I enjoyed it, and learned and saw quite a bit I'd not seen
before. They got excellent access to hidden areas of working stations.

Tim and Siddy work well together (she features in a lot of LTM YouTube
videos, but I think we'll be seeing more of her on TV). You don't find many
glamorous Icelandic blonde actress experts on the dusty history of the
London Underground! Even her (stage) name is based on an LU station.
NY
2021-07-20 10:25:26 UTC
Tim and Siddy work well together (she features in a lot of LTM YouTube
videos, but I think we'll be seeing more of her on TV). You don't find many
glamorous Icelandic blonde actress experts on the dusty history of the
London Underground! Even her (stage) name is based on an LU station.
I've not watched the programme yet but I've skimmed through it briefly to
get a general flavour.

It's hard to believe that Siddy is Icelandic, because her voice sounds like
posh Home Counties English. I presumed that her stage name was her married
name and that she was married to a British man. I imagine that she will be
the go-to presenter for anything relating to London Transport, because she
is a natural and a great source of information. I'm surprised that we
haven't seen more of Vicki Pipe (All the Stations) on mainstream TV as a
London Transport / railway / castles (!) expert.
Recliner
2021-07-20 10:45:55 UTC
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
Tim and Siddy work well together (she features in a lot of LTM YouTube
videos, but I think we'll be seeing more of her on TV). You don't find many
glamorous Icelandic blonde actress experts on the dusty history of the
London Underground! Even her (stage) name is based on an LU station.
I've not watched the programme yet but I've skimmed through it briefly to
get a general flavour.
It's hard to believe that Siddy is Icelandic, because her voice sounds like
posh Home Counties English. I presumed that her stage name was her married
name and that she was married to a British man.
Yes, I'd assumed the same. If you listen very carefully, you can
occasionally pick up a foreign sounding consonant.

When I visited Iceland, our guide spoke such perfect, idiomatic English,
and knew so much about British culture that I asked him how long he'd lived
in England. He astonished me by saying he'd only visited once, for a
weekend. But I think they got BBC TV and US TV (from the US airbase) and
learned their English that way.
Post by NY
I imagine that she will be
the go-to presenter for anything relating to London Transport, because she
is a natural and a great source of information.
Yes, I think so.
Post by NY
I'm surprised that we
haven't seen more of Vicki Pipe (All the Stations) on mainstream TV as a
London Transport / railway / castles (!) expert.
Yes, she seems to have almost disappeared from Geoff's videos. Maybe she
was getting too much of the wrong sort of attention on social media? Even
her blog has been silent for almost a year:
<https://www.vickipipe.co.uk/blog>

I suppose, given her age (38) and marriage to Geoff in 2018, it's possible
she might be on maternity leave.
Sam Wilson
2021-07-20 11:05:16 UTC
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
Same when we visited Bruges. The young woman on reception spoke with no
trace of an accent so I asked when she’d lived in the UK. Turned out she’d
spent all her life in Belgium.

Sam
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
h***@yahoo.co.uk
2021-07-20 13:02:12 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Recliner
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
People in the Netherlands and Belgium, at least in the Flemish-speaking
region, are exposed to English from a very early age. I also understand
that they receive BBC on regular television in those areas.
Roland Perry
2021-07-20 11:32:02 UTC
Post by NY
I'm surprised that we
haven't seen more of Vicki Pipe (All the Stations) on mainstream TV as a
London Transport / railway / castles (!) expert.
Yes, she seems to have almost disappeared from Geoff's videos. Maybe she
was getting too much of the wrong sort of attention on social media? Even
<https://www.vickipipe.co.uk/blog>
I suppose, given her age (38) and marriage to Geoff in 2018, it's possible
she might be on maternity leave.
To get gigs on mainstream TV you also need a good agent to sell your
idea to a production company, and a good production company to sell the
programme to the channels. Maybe she doesn't want to go down that route.
2021-07-20 10:46:52 UTC
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
When it comes to castles she's up against Lucy Worsley!
2021-07-20 13:33:21 UTC
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
Why is there an assumption that it's a stage name? According to various web
sites of dubious trustworthiness, her two sisters share the same surname.
Her bio on the LT Museum website (where she's worked for six years) makes
no mention.

2021-07-20 14:24:31 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
I'll lay a side-bet of a case of your best champagne that her name's
Sigurbjorg Alma Ingolfsdottir, born 1st November 1990 (so she'd have
moved to the UK when 19yrs old).

Dad's name Ingólfur Geir Gissurarson (hence her Icelandish surname).

Speaks Icelandic, Danish, English, German and Spanish, and has been an
English teacher (in Iceland).
Tweed
2021-07-20 17:57:40 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
Clearly everyone has been entranced by her and can’t recall any of the
programme content…..
Recliner
We didn't want to leak any spoilers...
Tweed