Tim Dunn's "Secrets of the London Underground" - Yesterday channel, now from July 19
2021-07-19 21:41:31 UTC
According to the 6-page article in the present RAIL,
Episode 1 is on Yesterday (Freeview 26) at 8pm-9pm on July 13
Five more hour-long episodes follow at 1 week intervals
That's odd, my Humax thinks that Bangers And Cash on then.
Digiguide and the online and printed versions of Radio Times all say that
there's Bangers and Cash, followed by two episodes of Secrets of the
[Brooklands] Transport Museum.
I think the Secrets of the London Underground series must have been
postponed from its original schedule of first episode on 13 July. The entry
on UKTV's [Yesterday's] web site
https://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/article/uktv-secrets-of-the-london-underground-yesterday/
doesn't give a date, just "later in 2021".
https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/hidden-london/secrets-london-underground says
"this July". https://www.brownbob.com/secrets-of-the-london-underground/
says "later this year". I wonder what unforeseen circumstance led to them
scheduling it for 13 July and then postponing it.
Keeping watching this space. I'll post to the thread if I get any further
info.
They've tweeted the new date: it will begin on Monday 19th July at 8pm, on
Yesterday.
Thanks, and 10/10 for changing the subject line!
Well, after all the reminders, I hope everyone interested watched or
recorded it. I enjoyed it, and learned and saw quite a bit I'd not seen
before. They got excellent access to hidden areas of working stations.

Tim and Siddy work well together (she features in a lot of LTM YouTube
videos, but I think we'll be seeing more of her on TV). You don't find many
glamorous Icelandic blonde actress experts on the dusty history of the
London Underground! Even her (stage) name is based on an LU station.
NY
2021-07-20 10:25:26 UTC
Tim and Siddy work well together (she features in a lot of LTM YouTube
videos, but I think we'll be seeing more of her on TV). You don't find many
glamorous Icelandic blonde actress experts on the dusty history of the
London Underground! Even her (stage) name is based on an LU station.
I've not watched the programme yet but I've skimmed through it briefly to
get a general flavour.

It's hard to believe that Siddy is Icelandic, because her voice sounds like
posh Home Counties English. I presumed that her stage name was her married
name and that she was married to a British man. I imagine that she will be
the go-to presenter for anything relating to London Transport, because she
is a natural and a great source of information. I'm surprised that we
haven't seen more of Vicki Pipe (All the Stations) on mainstream TV as a
London Transport / railway / castles (!) expert.
Recliner
2021-07-20 10:45:55 UTC
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
Tim and Siddy work well together (she features in a lot of LTM YouTube
videos, but I think we'll be seeing more of her on TV). You don't find many
glamorous Icelandic blonde actress experts on the dusty history of the
London Underground! Even her (stage) name is based on an LU station.
I've not watched the programme yet but I've skimmed through it briefly to
get a general flavour.
It's hard to believe that Siddy is Icelandic, because her voice sounds like
posh Home Counties English. I presumed that her stage name was her married
name and that she was married to a British man.
Yes, I'd assumed the same. If you listen very carefully, you can
occasionally pick up a foreign sounding consonant.

When I visited Iceland, our guide spoke such perfect, idiomatic English,
and knew so much about British culture that I asked him how long he'd lived
in England. He astonished me by saying he'd only visited once, for a
weekend. But I think they got BBC TV and US TV (from the US airbase) and
learned their English that way.
Post by NY
I imagine that she will be
the go-to presenter for anything relating to London Transport, because she
is a natural and a great source of information.
Yes, I think so.
Post by NY
I'm surprised that we
haven't seen more of Vicki Pipe (All the Stations) on mainstream TV as a
London Transport / railway / castles (!) expert.
Yes, she seems to have almost disappeared from Geoff's videos. Maybe she
was getting too much of the wrong sort of attention on social media? Even
her blog has been silent for almost a year:
<https://www.vickipipe.co.uk/blog>

I suppose, given her age (38) and marriage to Geoff in 2018, it's possible
she might be on maternity leave.
Sam Wilson
2021-07-20 11:05:16 UTC
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
Same when we visited Bruges. The young woman on reception spoke with no
trace of an accent so I asked when she’d lived in the UK. Turned out she’d
spent all her life in Belgium.

Sam
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
h***@yahoo.co.uk
2021-07-20 13:02:12 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Recliner
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
People in the Netherlands and Belgium, at least in the Flemish-speaking
region, are exposed to English from a very early age. I also understand
that they receive BBC on regular television in those areas.
Roland Perry
2021-07-20 11:32:02 UTC
Post by NY
I'm surprised that we
haven't seen more of Vicki Pipe (All the Stations) on mainstream TV as a
London Transport / railway / castles (!) expert.
Yes, she seems to have almost disappeared from Geoff's videos. Maybe she
was getting too much of the wrong sort of attention on social media? Even
<https://www.vickipipe.co.uk/blog>
I suppose, given her age (38) and marriage to Geoff in 2018, it's possible
she might be on maternity leave.
To get gigs on mainstream TV you also need a good agent to sell your
idea to a production company, and a good production company to sell the
programme to the channels. Maybe she doesn't want to go down that route.
2021-07-20 10:46:52 UTC
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
When it comes to castles she's up against Lucy Worsley!
2021-07-20 13:33:21 UTC
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
Why is there an assumption that it's a stage name? According to various web
sites of dubious trustworthiness, her two sisters share the same surname.
Her bio on the LT Museum website (where she's worked for six years) makes
no mention.

2021-07-20 14:24:31 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
I'll lay a side-bet of a case of your best champagne that her name's
Sigurbjorg Alma Ingolfsdottir, born 1st November 1990 (so she'd have
moved to the UK when 19yrs old).

Dad's name Ingólfur Geir Gissurarson (hence her Icelandish surname).

Speaks Icelandic, Danish, English, German and Spanish, and has been an
English teacher (in Iceland).
Tweed
2021-07-20 17:57:40 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
Clearly everyone has been entranced by her and can’t recall any of the
programme content…..
Recliner
We didn't want to leak any spoilers...
Tweed
Ah, I see - very upright
Basil Jet
2021-07-21 10:44:26 UTC
Post by Tweed
Clearly everyone has been entranced by her and can’t recall any of the
programme content…..
I found Siddy extremely annoying! Give me Vicki Pipe any day!
2006 - Autoshark EP - Electronic Eye
NY
2021-07-21 11:34:15 UTC
Post by Tweed
Clearly everyone has been entranced by her and can’t recall any of the
programme content…..
I found Siddy extremely annoying! Give me Vicki Pipe any day!
I'm sure a lot of us would like to be given Vicki but I think Geoff might
just have something to say about it ;-)

I've still not watched the Secrets of the Underground episode yet (I must
get a round tuit) so I can't really comment about Siddy, though I did see a
bit of cringe-making over-acting "wow, look at *this*" as she "just saw" an
old sign or advert on a tube wall.

Vicki Pipe would make a good presenter. I've heard her narrating some of her
Castles videos and she has a good voice - calm, authoritative and confident,
without being hesitant, monotonous or putting THE stress ON all THE wrong
words as she reads a script (common failings of amateur Youtube presenters -
and a few seasoned reporters too).
Ian Jackson
2021-07-21 20:22:52 UTC
Post by NY
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Tweed
[...]
Many of LBC Radio's readers of traffic reports do exactly the same.
Ian
Arthur Figgis
2021-07-21 18:31:47 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
https://www.frettabladid.is/frettir/ur-barnastjornu-i-rithofund-sem-afhjupar-leyndarmal-lunduna/

Sigurbjörg Alma Ingólfsdóttir, einnig þekkt sem Siddy Holloway, skrifar
sína fyrstu bók. Yale University Press gefur út bókina sem heitir Hidden
London: Discovering the Forgotten Underground. Íslendingar þekkja Siddy
frá því að hún lék titilhlutverkið í söngleikja-kvikmyndinni Regínu.

(ooh, I can guess what "skrifar sína fyrstu bók" means, using school German)

also https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1276032/
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Tweed
2021-07-21 18:34:52 UTC
Post by Arthur Figgis
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by NY
Post by Recliner
[...]
Google translate:

Sigurbjörg Alma Ingólfsdóttir, also known as Siddy Holloway, is writing her
first book. Yale University Press publishes a book called Hidden London:
Discovering the Forgotten Underground. Icelanders have known Siddy since
she played the title role in the musical film Regina.
NY
2021-07-21 19:30:06 UTC
Post by Arthur Figgis
https://www.frettabladid.is/frettir/ur-barnastjornu-i-rithofund-sem-afhjupar-leyndarmal-lunduna/
Sigurbjörg Alma Ingólfsdóttir, einnig þekkt sem Siddy Holloway, skrifar
sína fyrstu bók. Yale University Press gefur út bókina sem heitir Hidden
London: Discovering the Forgotten Underground. Íslendingar þekkja Siddy
frá því að hún lék titilhlutverkið í söngleikja-kvikmyndinni Regínu.
(ooh, I can guess what "skrifar sína fyrstu bók" means, using school German)
Yes, it's been interesting when we've called at Norwegian, Swedish or Danish
ports when we've been on a cruise, to spot the resemblances to German which
I remember from O level. "Notausgang" on a German coach means "emergency
exit" (it doesn't mean "this is *not* an exit" as I have to keep reminding
myself) and in the other languages it's very similar - I think "not" may be
"nod", and "ausgang" is very similar in No/Se/Dk.

I worked with an Icelandic woman with the unusual (to us) first name of
Oddny. Her English was incredibly good - no trace of an accent - so it was
all the more strange (odd?!) to hear her suddenly revert to Icelandic if her
husband rang her. Icelandic sounds like fluent Martian or Venusian - it has
a very different sound to it compared with German, Danish, Norwegian or
Swedish, though nowhere near as guttural as Finnish which is a very
different non-Germanic language.

When we eventually went on a cruise that called at Hamburg I was actually
able to practice my German, which I hadn't used since O level. This was
difficult because most Germans heard me start to speak and immediately
answered in English - but at least I tried... There was one funny occasion
when we were at a ticket office about to buy two adult tickets - I think it
was for the Miniaturwunderland model railway. I asked for "zwei Erwachsen"
(two adults) just as my wife asked for "two adults" and the poor girl looked
very confused and said (in English) "shall I speak English or German?". I
only came unstuck once, at a crepe stall where the stallholder didn't speak
English. My wife wanted a crepe with lemon juice and sugar - that's
[something]-saft und Zucker, but WTF is the German for lemon? I tried
limone - no, that's French. So I resorted to description "ein gelbe Frucht,
etwa zehn Zentimeter lang" - and her eyes lit up with recognition - "ah,
Zitrone!". Sadly she didn't have any Zitronesaft, so we made do with Nutella
which is the same in any language ;-)

What I did notice was how many German people, who spoke embarrassingly good
English, thanked me for at least *trying* to make myself understood in
German rather than just assuming that they would know English.
h***@yahoo.co.uk
2021-07-21 21:12:14 UTC
Post by NY
Post by Arthur Figgis
[...]
Finnish is in the Finnic subgroup of the Finno-Urgic group, along with
Estonian, Karelian and Veps.
Arthur Figgis
2021-07-21 21:12:16 UTC
Post by NY
What I did notice was how many German people, who spoke embarrassingly
good English, thanked me for at least *trying* to make myself understood
in German rather than just assuming that they would know English.
I increasingly wonder whether trying to speak school/phrasebook foreign
is simply a waste of everyone's time, as they are almost certainly going
to speak pretty good English, with no risk of misunderstandings or
getting stuck in a dead end or them putting down their "Handy" to ask an
old person WTF a "Fernsprecher" is.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK