King's Cross wander
2021-08-10 16:29:42 UTC
The old railway lands and gas works between the St Pancras, HS1, the ECML
and King's Cross station have been under re-development for quite a few
years now, but the long regeneration project is finally nearing completion.
I've wandered round the area every few years to watch developments, amd did
so again last week.

Here's the general shots from the area:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157719672481282>

And here's some specifically on the new Google building:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157719697467375>

And a few comments/queries:

There's a new footbridge over the canal called the Espérance Bridge, which
is supposedly inspired by an original railway bridge from 1921 in the same
location. I hadn't realised that the railways got to that area so early?
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/51369261996/in/album-72157719672481282/>

Four gasholder frames were reconditioned and replaced, but about 300m north
of their original location. There's a Grade 2 listed conjoined triplet,
which now garnish luxury apartment blocks, and one that encircles a small,
rather rough grass 'park'.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/51369262116/in/album-72157719672481282/>

Their original location in the old gasworks was approximately where the
smart new Pancras Square now stands:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/51369261816/in/album-72157719672481282/>

Lewis Cubitt, architect of King's Cross Station and the Granary building,
is honoured with both a park and a new square.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/51369485448/in/album-72157719672481282/>

The old Coal Drops Yard buildings have a snazzy new 'kissing' roof, with
the two 'peeling' roofs apparently just touching (though I'm pretty sure
there's a hidden continuous steel support beam across):
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/51368501877/in/album-72157719672481282/>

The designer is Thomas Heatherwick, who also gave us the 2012 Olympics
Cauldron and the Boris Bus, but not the Garden Bridge. He also co-designed
the £1bn new Google building in King's Cross and a very different, even
bigger one in Mountain View. His name seems to be the first one that pops
up when Googlers Google 'architect'.

Samsung has a trendy space in the roof, ready for the thousands of geeks
soon to move into the large new Facebook and Google offices:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/51370268600/in/album-72157719672481282/>

As far as I can tell, the new Google building encroaches on the original
King's Cross station site, with the old platform 14 City Widened line
connection through the Hotel Curve underneath it. The new platform 10 (11
as was) is right next to the huge new building. You can actually see a
train in platform 10 from the site entrance:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/51361507629/in/album-72157719697467375/>

In the other direction, you can still look into the York Road tunnel vent:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/51369485453/in/album-72157719672481282/>
Tweed
2021-08-10 17:34:36 UTC
[...]
An interesting set of pictures. When I wandered around there just before
lockdown I found it a mixture of some interesting architecture (mainly the
modifications of old buildings) and quite a lot of run of the mill stuff
that won’t stand the test of time.
Recliner
2021-08-10 21:01:56 UTC
Post by Tweed
Post by Recliner
[...]
I think even the modern stuff is good quality. It may not be interesting,
but it will probably age well (similar to Canary Wharf). Many of the
buildings will have rooftop gardens, which will partly make up for the
distinct shortage of ground level greenery.

One other relative surprise is that many of the buildings are residential,
so it's not going to be just an office park. It might actually be more
lively in the evenings than during the day. That's a difference from Canary
Wharf or the City.

But, of course, most of the office workers will be commuters, using the
superb local railway links. I'm sure some will be disappointed that there's
no chance of York Road station reopening.
Basil Jet
2021-08-10 21:37:35 UTC
But, of course, most of the office workers will be commuters, using the
superb local railway links. I'm sure some will be disappointed that there's
no chance of York Road station reopening.
Maiden Lane on the NLL is more likely to reopen, but I wouldn't hold my
breath.

Speaking of the NLL, Mr Khan's promise to give line names to the
Overground after his re-election seems to have gone quiet.
1987 - Inky Bloaters - Danielle Dax
Recliner
2021-08-10 21:51:53 UTC
But, of course, most of the office workers will be commuters, using the
superb local railway links. I'm sure some will be disappointed that there's
no chance of York Road station reopening.
Maiden Lane on the NLL is more likely to reopen, but I wouldn't hold my
breath.
Agreed, and it may be more useful, as it makes accessible a different rail
route.
Post by Basil Jet
Speaking of the NLL, Mr Khan's promise to give line names to the
Overground after his re-election seems to have gone quiet.
Yes, I'd forgotten about that. Mind you, you probably won't like the very
PC names his commission will undoubtedly select.

h***@yahoo.co.uk
2021-08-10 21:47:57 UTC
Post by Tweed
Post by Recliner
[...]
I remember a while back we discussed cost-to-benefit ratio with regards
to York Road, and the numbers were simply not there.

Anyway, I am all but certain that reactivating York Road would require
building a station from nil as codes when the station originally opened
and the current ones are simply two different things.

York Road at this time is a big hole in the ground with an impressive
cap, as it now stands.

The only way that I could ever see York Road coming into service is if a
third party stumped up either most or all of the cash, and even then I
don't know how TfL would feel about that prospect.

What's up with South Kentish Town, BTW?