TfL's enhanced cleaning regime
2020-03-13 15:37:08 UTC
This is an extract from the weekly TfL newsletter:

Enhanced cleaning regime for public transport

We have introduced an enhanced cleaning regime to improve the already
high hygiene levels on London's public transport.

While Public Health England has stated there are no specific concerns
about using public transport, TfL has chosen to make improvements to
its well-established cleaning programme. Cleaning across the Tube and
bus network now includes additional substances that kill viruses and
bacteria on contact in order to reduce the risk of coronavirus
spreading.

Our trains, stations and buses are already professionally cleaned
daily, but last Friday we began to roll out an enhanced anti-viral
fluid on Tube trains and stations to provide added protection. Key
interchanges will be cleaned more regularly than usual, including
during the day.

All buses will now be carefully wiped down with strong disinfectant
every day in regular touched areas, such as poles and doors. We will
also use this disinfectant in depots and drivers' cabs, which were
previously cleaned regularly with traditional disinfectant.

We are also in the final testing stages of a new, longer lasting
cleaning agent that would provide anti-viral protection for up to 30
days. We hope to begin using it across the network in the next couple
of weeks.

In the meantime, Public Health England urges everyone to wash their
hands regularly throughout the day, before eating and when arriving at
work or home. Following this advice ensures that using public
transport is as safe as the rest of the city. By using enhanced fluids
with anti-viral qualities, we aim to make it even safer.
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-03-13 16:11:37 UTC
On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 15:37:08 +0000
Post by Recliner
Enhanced cleaning regime for public transport
Given one of their drivers has gone down with it I suspect its a bit too
late. Not that its much use against an airborn virus anyway but it probably
makes companies look like they're being proactive doing this sort of thing.
MikeS
2020-03-13 18:35:09 UTC
Post by Recliner
Enhanced cleaning regime for public transport
Given one of their drivers has gone down with it I suspect its a bit too
late. Not that its much use against an airborn virus anyway but it probably
makes companies look like they're being proactive doing this sort of thing.
Your comments are nonsense.

So far the number of cases in London is minute and that is one driver
out of thousands. It is impossible to claim that the entire network is
already infected so hardly "a bit too late".

As for "not much use against an airborne virus", the entire public
health advice is to wash hands and avoid touching the face because the
main route for transmission is touch.
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-03-14 09:07:53 UTC
Post by Recliner
Enhanced cleaning regime for public transport
Given one of their drivers has gone down with it I suspect its a bit too
late. Not that its much use against an airborn virus anyway but it probably
makes companies look like they're being proactive doing this sort of thing.
Your comments are nonsense.
So far the number of cases in London is minute and that is one driver
out of thousands. It is impossible to claim that the entire network is
already infected so hardly "a bit too late".
People are infections for about FIVE days BEFORE symptoms appear. He could
potentially have infected dozes or hundreds of people before he fell ill and
they in turn etc etc ... Do you understand how these sort of diseases spread?
Post by MikeS
As for "not much use against an airborne virus", the entire public
health advice is to wash hands and avoid touching the face because the
main route for transmission is touch.
You can also catch a cold or flu from touching something with the virus on.
Are you going to suggest they're not airborn diseases either?
Ian Jackson
2020-03-14 08:15:54 UTC
Post by Recliner
Enhanced cleaning regime for public transport
Given one of their drivers has gone down with it I suspect its a bit too
late. Not that its much use against an airborn virus anyway but it probably
makes companies look like they're being proactive doing this sort of thing.
It appears that the driver had not actually gone back to work, so
there's little chance that he would have infected the underground.
Ian
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-03-14 09:08:39 UTC
Post by Recliner
Enhanced cleaning regime for public transport
Given one of their drivers has gone down with it I suspect its a bit too
late. Not that its much use against an airborn virus anyway but it probably
makes companies look like they're being proactive doing this sort of thing.
It appears that the driver had not actually gone back to work, so
there's little chance that he would have infected the underground.
Where was he for the five days before he had symptoms while he was unknowingly
infecting others?
Recliner
2020-03-14 09:42:29 UTC
Post by Recliner
Enhanced cleaning regime for public transport
Given one of their drivers has gone down with it I suspect its a bit too
late. Not that its much use against an airborn virus anyway but it probably
makes companies look like they're being proactive doing this sort of thing.
It appears that the driver had not actually gone back to work, so
there's little chance that he would have infected the underground.
Where was he for the five days before he had symptoms while he was unknowingly
infecting others?
The Tube driver is self-isolating, and the train and depot he worked in is
being deep-cleaned, TfL said.
The driver said he had not worked in any public-facing job since returning
from Vietnam.

A spokesman added: "The safety of our staff and customers is our top
priority and we are taking all necessary precautions.

"The areas where the driver worked are being cleaned, including the depot
and the trains, in line with guidance from Public Health England with whom
we are working closely."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51868904
Roland Perry
2020-03-14 10:17:05 UTC
Post by Recliner
Enhanced cleaning regime for public transport
Given one of their drivers has gone down with it I suspect its a bit too
late. Not that its much use against an airborn virus anyway but it probably
makes companies look like they're being proactive doing this sort of thing.
It appears that the driver had not actually gone back to work, so
there's little chance that he would have infected the underground.
Where was he for the five days before he had symptoms while he was unknowingly
infecting others?
The Tube driver is self-isolating, and the train and depot he worked in is
being deep-cleaned, TfL said.
The driver said he had not worked in any public-facing job since returning
from Vietnam.
What exactly does that mean? That he was only shunting trains around the
depot, or that he was driving trains but had never walked through one
(eg to change ends).
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-03-15 16:53:26 UTC
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
infecting others?
The Tube driver is self-isolating, and the train and depot he worked in is
being deep-cleaned, TfL said.
The driver said he had not worked in any public-facing job since returning
from Vietnam.
And so long as he had the plane to himself , didn't interact with anyone at
the airport, got a sealed taxi home from it and didn't go to the shops or
see any of his family between landing and symptoms appearing then we have
nothing to worry about.

This whole self isolation is bloody nonsense. But the time the symptoms appear
the person has been spreading the virus for almost a week already.
Arthur Conan Doyle
2020-03-15 21:02:04 UTC
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
This whole self isolation is bloody nonsense. But the time the symptoms appear
the person has been spreading the virus for almost a week already.
And would continue to do so for another week. A 50% reduction in exposure time
is not to be sneezed at. Pun intended.
MissRiaElaine
2020-03-15 23:41:00 UTC
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
This whole self isolation is bloody nonsense. But the time the symptoms appear
the person has been spreading the virus for almost a week already.
And would continue to do so for another week. A 50% reduction in exposure time
is not to be sneezed at. Pun intended.
I just worry for those whose employment is being affected;
bar/restaurant staff, pubs, cinemas, shops etc. It's hard enough running
a small business these days without this to make things even more difficult.

I was speaking to a friend (on the phone..!) the other day who works as
a video engineer in the live entertainment industry. He's self-employed
and has had to take a job making window boxes for the next six months as
all his normal work has dried up completely.

Still, at least he still has some money coming in, even if it's not as
much as he's used to. An awful lot of people are going to be hung out to
dry over this, and it's the media to blame for most of it in my opinion.
--
Ria in Aberdeen

2020-03-15 23:52:44 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
[...]
I agree. I think it's a gross over-reaction but at least the UK response
has been more balanced than many other countries. Personally, I'd encourage
all events and business to continue as usual, simply asking older people to
stay away. Most younger, healthy people aren't at much risk, and we're all
going to be exposed sooner or later, anyway.
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-03-16 09:14:13 UTC
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 23:52:44 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Ian Jackson
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
[...]
For once I agree with you entirely. People should be given the facts and if
they want to self isolate they should be allowed to do so, but other than that
life should carry on as normal.
Graeme Wall
2020-03-16 14:07:10 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
[...]
What the hell has the media got to do with it?
MissRiaElaine
2020-03-16 14:32:20 UTC
Post by MissRiaElaine
I just worry for those whose employment is being affected;
bar/restaurant staff, pubs, cinemas, shops etc. It's hard enough
running a small business these days without this to make things even
more difficult.
I was speaking to a friend (on the phone..!) the other day who works
as a video engineer in the live entertainment industry. He's
self-employed and has had to take a job making window boxes for the
next six months as all his normal work has dried up completely.
Still, at least he still has some money coming in, even if it's not as
much as he's used to. An awful lot of people are going to be hung out
to dry over this, and it's the media to blame for most of it in my
opinion.
What the hell has the media got to do with it?
The media are the ones blowing everything out of all proportion.
Exaggerating risks, scaremongering, even the BBC's "news" site isn't
immune to it.

And as for the tabloid press, I won't even begin to comment on what I
think of them.
--
Ria in Aberdeen

2020-03-16 15:12:51 UTC
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 14:32:20 +0000, MissRiaElaine
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by MissRiaElaine
[...]
I've not looked at the tabloid press, but plenty of other countries
seem to be panicking about it, much more than we are.
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-03-16 17:27:53 UTC
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 14:07:10 +0000
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by MissRiaElaine
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
[...]
Scaremongering and constant repetition to the detriment of every other topic
just like they did over Brexit. Remember how the economy was going to collapse
and the pound become valueless soon after a yes vote?

There are plenty of people still homeless after the floods which is a bit more
important than getting something no worse than a bad cold unless you're elderly
or ill but they've completely gone off the media radar.

b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-03-16 09:15:55 UTC
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 16:02:04 -0500
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
This whole self isolation is bloody nonsense. But the time the symptoms appear
the person has been spreading the virus for almost a week already.
And would continue to do so for another week. A 50% reduction in exposure time
is not to be sneezed at. Pun intended.
We all tend to be creatures of habit. Its unlikely he'd have visited anywhere
different in the week after symptoms appearing than before.