No black LEDs?
2020-07-18 01:09:02 UTC
I recently spotted Geoff Marshall's unboxing of this live animated LED Tube
map, which shows all LU train movements in real time. Trains on 12 lines
are represented with 333 appropriately coloured station LEDs, but how do
you represent Northern Line trains? Yup, in white.

Just the thing for a Tube nerd with £249 to spare! An ideal present for
someone who grew up in London but now lives in exile.

<https://www.traintrackr.co.uk/product/tfl2>
Peter Able
2020-07-19 08:10:41 UTC
I recently spotted Geoff Marshall's unboxing of this live animated LED Tube
map, which shows all LU train movements in real time. Trains on 12 lines
are represented with 333 appropriately coloured station LEDs, but how do
you represent Northern Line trains? Yup, in white.
Just the thing for a Tube nerd with £249 to spare! An ideal present for
someone who grew up in London but now lives in exile.
<https://www.traintrackr.co.uk/product/tfl2>
£120 for the smaller, monochrome one.

It'd put an extra load on the PSU, but how about pale white LEDs with
LED OFF representing Northern line trains?

PA
Arthur Conan Doyle
2020-07-19 20:38:38 UTC
Post by Peter Able
It'd put an extra load on the PSU, but how about pale white LEDs with
LED OFF representing Northern line trains?
It would be very cool if the larger one were built to scale with the Douglas
Rose historical LU map. Even better - add a few extra LEDs that light at random
on some of the disused lines.
Recliner
2020-07-19 21:47:20 UTC
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
Post by Peter Able
It'd put an extra load on the PSU, but how about pale white LEDs with
LED OFF representing Northern line trains?
It would be very cool if the larger one were built to scale with the Douglas
Rose historical LU map. Even better - add a few extra LEDs that light at random
on some of the disused lines.
Ah, the ghostly option! But I do like the idea of a new, larger version,
built to scale.
Bryan Morris
2020-07-20 05:23:04 UTC
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
Post by Peter Able
It'd put an extra load on the PSU, but how about pale white LEDs with
LED OFF representing Northern line trains?
It would be very cool if the larger one were built to scale with the Douglas
Rose historical LU map. Even better - add a few extra LEDs that light at random
on some of the disused lines.
Ah, the ghostly option! But I do like the idea of a new, larger version,
built to scale.
Many many years ago when I was in Paris (I don't know if they are still
there, I haven't been there for over 30 years) and before the days of
LEDs I recall that at some Metro stations if you wanted to know the best
way to get to another station there was a large display. Pressing a
button labelled with the destination station illuminated a chain of
lights stretching from the current station to the destination revealing
also the interchange stations where relevant
Bryan Morris
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-07-20 07:48:13 UTC
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 01:09:02 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Recliner
I recently spotted Geoff Marshall's unboxing of this live animated LED Tube
map, which shows all LU train movements in real time. Trains on 12 lines
are represented with 333 appropriately coloured station LEDs, but how do
you represent Northern Line trains? Yup, in white.
Just the thing for a Tube nerd with £249 to spare! An ideal present for
someone who grew up in London but now lives in exile.
<https://www.traintrackr.co.uk/product/tfl2>
Looks to me like it only shows trains in stations, not all trains on the line.

I'd be interested in knowing where it gets its info from. Is it a public
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.
Recliner
2020-07-20 10:01:11 UTC
Post by Recliner
I recently spotted Geoff Marshall's unboxing of this live animated LED Tube
map, which shows all LU train movements in real time. Trains on 12 lines
are represented with 333 appropriately coloured station LEDs, but how do
you represent Northern Line trains? Yup, in white.
Just the thing for a Tube nerd with £249 to spare! An ideal present for
someone who grew up in London but now lives in exile.
<https://www.traintrackr.co.uk/product/tfl2>
Looks to me like it only shows trains in stations, not all trains on the line.
I'd be interested in knowing where it gets its info from. Is it a public
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.
The TfL API is public, and other apps use it. But I get the impression here
that the API is accessed from a program running on the company's server,
with the boards communicating with that. This has the advantage of being
able to handle changes to the API, but obviously depends on the company
continuing to run its server, and updating its software as required.
b***@nowhere.org
2020-07-20 11:11:43 UTC
On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 10:01:11 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Recliner
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 01:09:02 -0000 (UTC)
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.
The TfL API is public, and other apps use it. But I get the impression here
that the API is accessed from a program running on the company's server,
with the boards communicating with that. This has the advantage of being
able to handle changes to the API, but obviously depends on the company
continuing to run its server, and updating its software as required.
Indeed. I've had that issue myself when I discovered the hard way that
the network streamer I own has to phone home first before it'll do anything
and last month the manufacturers server went down for a day and I had a
very expensive brick with an error message on its screen. I wonder how
long it'll be before I have to pay a subscription to keep it running.
Theo
2020-07-20 20:50:54 UTC
The TfL API is public, and other apps use it. But I get the impression here
that the API is accessed from a program running on the company's server,
with the boards communicating with that. This has the advantage of being
able to handle changes to the API, but obviously depends on the company
continuing to run its server, and updating its software as required.
They are using an ESP8266, which is a small, relatively
underpowered WiFi microcontroller. They say it's talking to the company
server rather than handling the full API.

There are open about that, and describe how to reflash the microcontroller
with alternative firmware if you so desire. There are other popular ESP8266
firmwares out there and it probably wouldn't take a lot to adapt to
refashion to an alternative server if the first one became unavailable.

Theo
Arthur Conan Doyle
2020-07-20 13:27:43 UTC
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
I'd be interested in knowing where it gets its info from. Is it a public
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.
Looks like TfL make the data available under certain conditions.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/open-data-users/our-open-data#on-this-page-2

There also appears to be third party access

https://www.programmableweb.com/api/london-tube
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-07-20 14:41:59 UTC
On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 08:27:43 -0500
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
I'd be interested in knowing where it gets its info from. Is it a public
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.
Looks like TfL make the data available under certain conditions.
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/open-data-users/our-open-data#on-this-page-2
Looks interesting. Might have a play around when I get some free time.
Post by Arthur Conan Doyle
There also appears to be third party access
https://www.programmableweb.com/api/london-tube
The trouble with 3rd party stuff is eventually the dev gets bored and moves
on to something else so unless someone else picks it up thats it.
Graeme Wall
2020-07-20 16:58:14 UTC
<https://traintimes.org.uk/map/tube/?>
2020-07-20 20:11:15 UTC
Post by Recliner
I recently spotted Geoff Marshall's unboxing of this live animated LED Tube
map, which shows all LU train movements in real time. Trains on 12 lines
are represented with 333 appropriately coloured station LEDs, but how do
you represent Northern Line trains? Yup, in white.
Just the thing for a Tube nerd with £249 to spare! An ideal present for
someone who grew up in London but now lives in exile.
<https://www.traintrackr.co.uk/product/tfl2>
Looks to me like it only shows trains in stations, not all trains on the line.
I'd be interested in knowing where it gets its info from. Is it a public
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.
<https://traintimes.org.uk/map/tube/?>
Is that for real? Many trains seem to be running cross country, running in
close formation, suddenly reversing half-way along a route, and generally
running too fast.
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-07-21 07:58:20 UTC
On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 20:11:15 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
I'd be interested in knowing where it gets its info from. Is it a public
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.
<https://traintimes.org.uk/map/tube/?>
Is that for real? Many trains seem to be running cross country, running in
close formation, suddenly reversing half-way along a route, and generally
running too fast.
I doubt the API updates nearly that quickly so I suspect there's a lot of
extrapolation going on.
Recliner
2020-07-21 08:12:02 UTC
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
I'd be interested in knowing where it gets its info from. Is it a public
API anyone can connect to or is it paid subscription included in the price
of the board that will eventually run out.
<https://traintimes.org.uk/map/tube/?>
Is that for real? Many trains seem to be running cross country, running in
close formation, suddenly reversing half-way along a route, and generally
running too fast.
I doubt the API updates nearly that quickly so I suspect there's a lot of
extrapolation going on.
I've just looked at it now, and it seems to be behaving more sensibly. I
don't know if they're correct and up-to-date, but the train movements are
plausible. There must have been a glitch yesterday, when they looked more
like a swarm of bees.
Graeme Wall
2020-07-21 08:07:57 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
It sometimes has glitches where it tries to catch up with that sort of
effect. Looking at it at the moment I can't see anything obviously untoward.
2020-07-21 08:12:02 UTC
Post by Recliner
[...]
Yes, it looks plausible this morning, quite different to yesterday.