D trains in service for the first time today - 23-4-19
2019-04-24 21:55:16 UTC
230004 entered service on the Bletchley - Bedford line today and here are
What do they sound like? A DMU or four Transit vans going past?
Just a low purring noise.
That's encouraging — they should be pretty quiet inside.
Geoff Marshall's video...

--
Basil Jet - Current favourite song...
Spratleys Japs - Hands (Marc Riley session)

Recliner
2019-04-24 22:19:02 UTC
230004 entered service on the Bletchley - Bedford line today and here are
What do they sound like? A DMU or four Transit vans going past?
Just a low purring noise.
That's encouraging — they should be pretty quiet inside.
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Thanks, I'm impressed, as Geoff was. I hope Vivarail gets a lot more orders
for them.
Scott
2019-04-25 08:47:46 UTC
On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 22:19:02 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<***@btinternet.com> wrote:
[snip]
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Thanks, I'm impressed, as Geoff was. I hope Vivarail gets a lot more orders
for them.
I'm impressed too. It looks like a good exercise in recycling and
reuse.

Maybe Vivarail could make a better job of refurbishing HSTs than
Wabtec.
tony sayer
2019-05-02 23:06:37 UTC
230004 entered service on the Bletchley - Bedford line today and here are
public/
public/
Post by Basil Jet
What do they sound like? A DMU or four Transit vans going past?
Just a low purring noise.
That's encouraging — they should be pretty quiet inside.
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Thanks, I'm impressed, as Geoff was. I hope Vivarail gets a lot more orders
for them.
Says on my PC vid unavailable on Firefox and chrome browsers!...
--
Tony Sayer

Keep reading the thread.
Basil Jet
2019-05-02 23:13:06 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
What do they sound like? A DMU or four Transit vans going past?
Just a low purring noise.
That's encouraging — they should be pretty quiet inside.
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Thanks, I'm impressed, as Geoff was. I hope Vivarail gets a lot more orders
for them.
Says on my PC vid unavailable on Firefox and chrome browsers!...
It's rather fitting to see complaints from the past refurbished and
redeployed...
Art Brut - 2007 - It's A Bit Complicated
Someone Somewhere
Last week called - they want their comment back.
Roland Perry
2019-05-03 08:30:19 UTC
New version at: http://youtu.be/wg0-kA49lNc
NY
2019-04-25 08:53:38 UTC
230004 entered service on the Bletchley - Bedford line today and here are
What do they sound like? A DMU or four Transit vans going past?
Just a low purring noise.
That's encouraging — they should be pretty quiet inside.
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Interesting that they've kept the sideways seats and the large amount of
standing room between them, which are more appropriate for a service with a
large number of closely-spaced stations (London Underground style) and
haven't converted *both* carriages to transverse 2+2 seating. Good that
there are some high-backed seats; shame that they are not all like that.

Despite the conversion, they still look and feel like tube trains, as far as
I can gather from Geoff's video. They still sound like tube trains, due to
the characteristic noise of the traction motors (obviously overlaid with the
throb of a diesel engine to generate the power).

I see that the fuel consumption is a lot less than for a Pacer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_230 says "Vivarail has
claimed that the fuel consumption is roughly 0.5 litre per car per mile;
this is about half the fuel consumption of a Pacer."

I wonder what the ride is like compared with a) a Pacer, with its lack of
swivelling bogies, b) a Sprinter 158 or a 185. Let's hope it doesn't have
the crap ride of the 455s that I used to endure on the Waterloo-Bracknell
line - they are arguably even worse than Pacers (discuss!).
Peter Johnson
2019-04-25 18:32:50 UTC
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
Basil Jet
2019-04-25 19:24:56 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by Basil Jet
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
... any more. Interesting.
http://youtu.be/PTFmVrE1WAc
Recliner
2019-04-25 20:27:54 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by Basil Jet
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
... any more. Interesting.
Yes, I wonder why it's been removed? Might it have violated a copyright,
or disclosed something it shouldn't? Did Geoff break some safety rule? I
can't recall that he said anything that would have upset the TOC, NR or
Vivarail.
Marland
2019-04-25 20:42:56 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by Basil Jet
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
... any more. Interesting.
Yes, I wonder why it's been removed? Might it have violated a copyright,
or disclosed something it shouldn't? Did Geoff break some safety rule? I
can't recall that he said anything that would have upset the TOC, NR or
Vivarail.
Not the only video on you tube of them running yesterday though.

A search of “class 230”train brings up a couple more.

2019-04-25 21:23:29 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by Basil Jet
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
... any more. Interesting.
Yes, I wonder why it's been removed? Might it have violated a copyright,
or disclosed something it shouldn't? Did Geoff break some safety rule? I
can't recall that he said anything that would have upset the TOC, NR or
Vivarail.
Not the only video on you tube of them running yesterday though.
A search of “class 230”train brings up a couple more.
There must be something specific is Geoff's video that caused it to be
pulled — what could it be?
John Williamson
2019-04-26 06:55:50 UTC
There must be something specific is Geoff's video that caused it to be
pulled — what could it be?
As I've not seen the video, it's not possible to be certain, but a
friend of mine had a video pulled very quickly due to a few seconds of
recognisable music in the background of the sound track.

Record companies are now scanning most, if not all, Youtube postings
using AI to check for their music being posted without permission, and
the new EU Copyright Act is about to make it worse by making it illegal
to even link to copyrighted material such as newspaper articles without
prior permission, never mind copying and pasting.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Roland Perry
2019-04-26 07:16:41 UTC
Post by John Williamson
Post by Recliner
There must be something specific is Geoff's video that caused it to be
pulled — what could it be?
As I've not seen the video, it's not possible to be certain, but a
friend of mine had a video pulled very quickly due to a few seconds of
recognisable music in the background of the sound track.
I'd have expected Geoff to be an old enough hand not to slip on that
banana skin.
Post by John Williamson
Record companies are now scanning most, if not all, Youtube postings
using AI to check for their music being posted without permission, and
the new EU Copyright Act is about to make it worse by making it illegal
to even link to copyrighted material such as newspaper articles without
prior permission, never mind copying and pasting.
I think you are over-reading the proposals.
2019-04-26 07:38:33 UTC
Post by John Williamson
Post by Recliner
There must be something specific is Geoff's video that caused it to be
pulled — what could it be?
As I've not seen the video, it's not possible to be certain, but a
friend of mine had a video pulled very quickly due to a few seconds of
recognisable music in the background of the sound track.
I'd have expected Geoff to be an old enough hand not to slip on that
banana skin.
Yes, agreed. He makes far too many videos for that. I don't even recall
that the video had any music, but I might simply have subconsciously
ignored it.
John Williamson
2019-04-26 10:04:47 UTC
I'd have expected Geoff to be an old enough hand not to slip on that
banana skin.
Yes, agreed. He makes far too many videos for that. I don't even recall
that the video had any music, but I might simply have subconsciously
ignored it.
If they've not told him why, they will if he asks them. But sometimes
even a few seconds of a nearby ringtone set to a pop song can trigger a
takedown request.

As can a face appearing that doesn't want to be recognised.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Basil Jet
2019-05-01 23:12:33 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by Basil Jet
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
It's back.

I just noticed the buttons by the interconnecting door. I presume they
are something to do with MIPs, but I'm not sure how they function - does
either button cause both doors to swing loose? Unless the doors have
powered hinges, it would not be convenient for a MIP to go through them.
Zammuto - 2014 - Anchor
Marland
2019-05-02 00:29:36 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by Basil Jet
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
It's back.
http://youtu.be/wg0-kA49lNc
I just noticed the buttons by the interconnecting door. I presume they
are something to do with MIPs, but I'm not sure how they function - does
either button cause both doors to swing loose? Unless the doors have
powered hinges, it would not be convenient for a MIP to go through them.
An area of the interior decor seen over his shoulder at about 9.10 is
reminiscent of the Edward Pond Murals of Network South East Days , I think
it must be the colours.
He is no longer around so it cannot be one of his designs but I wonder if
there was some inspiration there.

I think Salisbury Station still has a couple of the NSE works in the
subway, one of the surviving artefacts of that era.

2019-05-02 05:19:15 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by Basil Jet
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
It's back.
http://youtu.be/wg0-kA49lNc
I just noticed the buttons by the interconnecting door. I presume they
are something to do with MIPs, but I'm not sure how they function - does
either button cause both doors to swing loose? Unless the doors have
powered hinges, it would not be convenient for a MIP to go through them.
An area of the interior decor seen over his shoulder at about 9.10 is
reminiscent of the Edward Pond Murals of Network South East Days , I think
it must be the colours.
He is no longer around so it cannot be one of his designs but I wonder if
there was some inspiration there.
I think Salisbury Station still has a couple of the NSE works in the
subway, one of the surviving artefacts of that era.
Not Excrete St Davids?
Art Brut - 2007 - It's A Bit Complicated
Roland Perry
2019-05-02 06:08:57 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by Basil Jet
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
It's back.
http://youtu.be/wg0-kA49lNc
As I suspected, missing the interview with the "designer" chappie.
2019-05-02 07:35:32 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by Basil Jet
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
It's back.
http://youtu.be/wg0-kA49lNc
As I suspected, missing the interview with the "designer" chappie.
Yes, I wonder if it was something specific that he disclosed, or simply his
failure to get permission for the interview from his client?
Roland Perry
2019-05-02 08:06:45 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by Basil Jet
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
It's back.
http://youtu.be/wg0-kA49lNc
As I suspected, missing the interview with the "designer" chappie.
Yes, I wonder if it was something specific that he disclosed, or simply his
failure to get permission for the interview from his client?
There may be something in an earlier suggestion about muddling up (in
the public's mind) the distinction between Vivarail and WMT as the
client for the cosmetic design. But many organisations are strict about
"talking to the press" in any circumstances.

I wonder if Geoff had to go back and re-film his walk-through of the
overhead posters. First time round he was with the designer, now nowhere
to be seen. Might explain why it's taken almost a week to reappear.
2019-05-02 08:26:05 UTC
Post by Peter Johnson
Post by Basil Jet
Geoff Marshall's video...
http://youtu.be/ntSn5_2TWcM
Not available.
It's back.
http://youtu.be/wg0-kA49lNc
As I suspected, missing the interview with the "designer" chappie.
Yes, I wonder if it was something specific that he disclosed, or simply his
failure to get permission for the interview from his client?
There may be something in an earlier suggestion about muddling up (in
the public's mind) the distinction between Vivarail and WMT as the
client for the cosmetic design. But many organisations are strict about
"talking to the press" in any circumstances.
I wonder if Geoff had to go back and re-film his walk-through of the
overhead posters. First time round he was with the designer, now nowhere
to be seen. Might explain why it's taken almost a week to reappear.
No, I suspect he had plenty of unused original footage that he could use in
a new edit. He may even have realised when filming that he might need to
produce a different version like this.
Roland Perry
2019-05-02 09:23:34 UTC
I wonder if Geoff had to go back and re-film his walk-through of the
overhead posters. First time round he was with the designer, now nowhere
to be seen. Might explain why it's taken almost a week to reappear.
No, I suspect he had plenty of unused original footage that he could use in
a new edit. He may even have realised when filming that he might need to
produce a different version like this.
Not so much "unused footage", as doing the walk through two separate
times.
2019-05-02 08:48:11 UTC
As I suspected, missing the interview with the "designer" chappie.
I wonder if Geoff had to go back and re-film his walk-through of the
overhead posters. First time round he was with the designer, now nowhere
to be seen. Might explain why it's taken almost a week to reappear.
Clothes in the wash ?

He has taken great care to wear identical attire if it is just a segment,
as someone who makes a lot of films continuity is something he will be well
aware of but even so many professionals often forget something.
I’d say the whole interior scenes are redone, is it just the designer who
has been removed? Wasn’t there an enthusiast type who was wearing some
Uniform from the Southern T.O.C. Perhaps they didn’t like that if it was an
employee wearing it while off duty out on a jolly , or understandably he
just wasn’t there during the remake.

2019-05-02 08:59:33 UTC
Post by Marland
As I suspected, missing the interview with the "designer" chappie.
I wonder if Geoff had to go back and re-film his walk-through of the
overhead posters. First time round he was with the designer, now nowhere
to be seen. Might explain why it's taken almost a week to reappear.
Clothes in the wash ?
He has taken great care to wear identical attire if it is just a segment,
as someone who makes a lot of films continuity is something he will be well
aware of but even so many professionals often forget something.
I’d say the whole interior scenes are redone, is it just the designer who
has been removed? Wasn’t there an enthusiast type who was wearing some
Uniform from the Southern T.O.C. Perhaps they didn’t like that if it was an
employee wearing it while off duty out on a jolly , or understandably he
just wasn’t there during the remake.
I didn't watch the original that closely, but my sense is that there
were more people on the train the first time around.