Thameslink 2018 (pictures)
2018-02-26 16:01:12 UTC
I braved the snow to travel on the first northbound Thameslink train
to use the Canal Tunnels, the Horsham to Peterborough. I travelled
from East Croydon to Finsbury Park.

However, I almost missed it at East Croydon: it was increasingly
running late, and there was a last minute, unannounced platform
change, from 4 to 2. Luckily, I spotted the changed departures board,
and just made it up and down the ramps in time. The long scheduled
wait at London Bridge meant we caught up and joined the GN line on
time. But this is an example of how easily delays from one side of the
Thames can be exported to the other.

The train itself was almost empty, with about half the passengers
taking no special interest in the new route, but the others rushing
round with cameras. There were no announcements about it being the
first run, but a chap came round as we passed through the Canal
Tunnels handing out free celebratory Thameslink cupcakes. Most of the
pax seemed to get off at Finsbury Park.

Here's a few pictures. I managed to snatch one inside the Canal
Tunnel, and noticed that the concrete tunnel linings say 'CTRL',
presumably because the tunnels were built as part of the CTRL project,
and perhaps the tunnel linings came from the same factory?

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157693123465884>
Roland Perry
2018-02-26 16:19:24 UTC
I braved the snow to travel on the first northbound Thameslink train
to use the Canal Tunnels, the Horsham to Peterborough.
So was I. (See report in uk.r) Also on the earlier first southbound one.
Post by Recliner
I travelled from East Croydon to Finsbury Park.
I got off there too, from the PB train.
Post by Recliner
The train itself was almost empty, with about half the passengers
taking no special interest in the new route,
Even more so on the later Cambridge train, people with LGW tagged
luggage apparently oblivious to the novelty of the working.
Post by Recliner
but the others rushing round with cameras.
Or like me, sitting there enjoying the trip but not rushing around with
a camera.
Post by Recliner
There were no announcements about it being the first run,
Indeed. And on the later "first northbound train to Cambridge", there
were almost no announcements at all of any kind.
Post by Recliner
but a chap came round as we passed through the Canal Tunnels handing
out free celebratory Thameslink cupcakes.
Most of the pax seemed to get off at Finsbury Park.
Bashers.

ps. Some poor chap got on at Hitchin wanting a ride to Letchworth, and
was mortified when it turned out to be non-stop to Cambridge.
Post by Recliner
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157693123465884>
The later Cambridge train didn't show on the London Bridge A-Z either.
2018-02-26 17:28:18 UTC
Post by Recliner
There were no announcements about it being the first run,
Indeed. And on the later "first northbound train to Cambridge", there
were almost no announcements at all of any kind.
Actually, now I think about it, I don't think there were any announcements
on my train, either.
but a chap came round as we passed through the Canal Tunnels handing
out free celebratory Thameslink cupcakes.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW9QwxdWAAAT6P0.jpg
Did the chap handing them out look like he'd consumed a few himself?
Most of the pax seemed to get off at Finsbury Park.
Bashers.
Yup, plus I think it was the last station in the London zones.
Post by Recliner
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157693123465884>
The later Cambridge train didn't show on the London Bridge A-Z either.
Yes, those displays obviously have a static list of destinations that's not
yet been updated.
Roland Perry
2018-02-26 17:38:08 UTC
In message
<982984173.541358644.886041.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-septe
mber.org>, at 17:28:18 on Mon, 26 Feb 2018, Recliner
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DW9QwxdWAAAT6P0.jpg
Did the chap handing them out look like he'd consumed a few himself?
That's a bit "fattist", but yes there was definitely an amply
proportioned employee involved.
2018-02-26 17:18:01 UTC
Thank you for that. Very good.
Roland Perry
2018-02-26 17:46:00 UTC
I almost missed it at East Croydon: it was increasingly
running late, and there was a last minute, unannounced platform
change, from 4 to 2. Luckily, I spotted the changed departures board,
and just made it up and down the ramps in time. The long scheduled
wait at London Bridge meant we caught up and joined the GN line on
time.
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/X31829/2018/02/26/advanced

Not the most encouraging diagram in the world.
2018-02-26 19:14:32 UTC
Here's a few pictures. I managed to snatch one inside the Canal
Tunnel, and noticed that the concrete tunnel linings say 'CTRL',
presumably because the tunnels were built as part of the CTRL project,
and perhaps the tunnel linings came from the same factory?
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157693123465884>
Whatever factory the linings came from, they would have had CTRL stamped
on them because that was the customer name. The factory doesn't care
what actual line the bits will be used on.

<applause> for the pictures with Peterborough on the internal indicator
and London Bridge / Blackfriars on the station name boards.

I've never understood why the CTRL bridge over the ECML is enclosed.

Interesting idea of alphabetical order on the East Croydon A-Z screen...
London Victoria comes under V but other London termini are under L.

Thanks for all the railway pictures... Someone else was on the train
whose only picture was of a cupcake...
Recliner
2018-02-26 22:57:31 UTC
Here's a few pictures. I managed to snatch one inside the Canal
Tunnel, and noticed that the concrete tunnel linings say 'CTRL',
presumably because the tunnels were built as part of the CTRL project,
and perhaps the tunnel linings came from the same factory?
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157693123465884>
Whatever factory the linings came from, they would have had CTRL stamped
on them because that was the customer name. The factory doesn't care
what actual line the bits will be used on.
<applause> for the pictures with Peterborough on the internal indicator
and London Bridge / Blackfriars on the station name boards.
Thanks. I was quite pleased to capture one image of the New Cross Gate
station sign reflecting off an Overground train, with the Peterborough
display in the same image:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/38688248100/in/album-72157693123465884/>

This is, of course, the first day that ECML destination trains have run
alongside LO trains.
Post by Basil Jet
I've never understood why the CTRL bridge over the ECML is enclosed.
I think it was for noise reasons. Some VIP lived nearby and was placated by
enclosing the bridge.
Post by Basil Jet
Interesting idea of alphabetical order on the East Croydon A-Z screen...
London Victoria comes under V but other London termini are under L.
Thanks for all the railway pictures... Someone else was on the train
whose only picture was of a cupcake...
I did think of including a picture of my cupcake, but decided not to
bother…
Roland Perry
2018-02-27 08:12:00 UTC
Thanks for all the railway pictures... Someone else was on the train
whose only picture was of a cupcake...
Ah, but mine was the first picture posted, and the first mention of
cupcakes :)

Managed to snatch a bit of 3G on the run into Farringdon at 11:12.

I'll post some more "incidental" photos later - there's more to events
like this than just the trains!
2018-02-27 09:02:05 UTC
Thanks for all the railway pictures... Someone else was on the train
whose only picture was of a cupcake...
Ah, but mine was the first picture posted, and the first mention of
cupcakes :)
Here's a bit more cupcake stuff; originally intended to be filming the
entry into the tunnels, the chap had just begun walking down the aisle
handing out cupcakes.

2018-02-27 10:03:16 UTC
Here's the departure board at Cambridge, for the first southbound
service, with novel (for passengers, anyway) station descriptions
for St Pancras and London Bridge.

2018-02-27 08:20:51 UTC
I managed to snatch one inside the Canal Tunnel, and noticed that the
concrete tunnel linings say 'CTRL'
Did you also notice the train rolled back slightly inside the canal
tunnels when it came to a stop (a shorter stop than the earlier
southbound which was stuck there a good three minutes).

Were you perhaps the chap at the front by the First Class, with the
orange jacket, who also took shots down the inside of the train?
No, not me.
Roland Perry
2018-02-28 13:56:40 UTC
In message
<736579188.541413679.785580.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-septe
mber.org>, at 08:43:20 on Tue, 27 Feb 2018, Recliner
Were you perhaps the chap at the front by the First Class, with the
orange jacket, who also took shots down the inside of the train?
No, not me.
He's in this video from about 4 mins in:

2018-02-28 14:13:05 UTC
In message
http://youtu.be/O2P-SjABBzQ
No, I didn't see him.
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2018-02-28 20:04:32 UTC
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 14:13:05 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
Post by Roland Perry
In message
mber.org>, at 08:43:20 on Tue, 27 Feb 2018, Recliner
Were you perhaps the chap at the front by the First Class, with the
orange jacket, who also took shots down the inside of the train?
No, not me.
Do we gather that you and Roland were on the same train but unaware of
each other , with the recent animosity perhaps just as well or the
Teacakes may have become a Bunfight.

G.Harman
Roland Perry
2018-03-01 08:31:22 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Do we gather that you and Roland were on the same train but unaware of
each other
There were several Usenaughts on the trains, including ColinR. I didn't
bump into him either.
2018-03-01 09:17:52 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Do we gather that you and Roland were on the same train but unaware of
each other
There were several Usenaughts on the trains, including ColinR. I didn't
bump into him either.
I suppose there more on the very first (southbound) service through the new
Canal Tunnels; it certainly looked that way from the video you linked. I
was surprised how empty the first northbound service was, at least at my
end of the train; perhaps it was busier near the front?
Roland Perry
2018-03-01 09:45:45 UTC
In message
<565821891.541588490.971829.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-septe
mber.org>, at 09:17:52 on Thu, 1 Mar 2018, Recliner
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Do we gather that you and Roland were on the same train but unaware of
each other
There were several Usenaughts on the trains, including ColinR. I didn't
bump into him either.
I suppose there more on the very first (southbound) service through the new
Canal Tunnels; it certainly looked that way from the video you linked. I
was surprised how empty the first northbound service was, at least at my
end of the train; perhaps it was busier near the front?
Yes, the front coach was busy, with many photographers.
Ah, I'm glad I stayed near the back.
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2018-03-01 10:19:50 UTC
In article
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Do we gather that you and Roland were on the same train but unaware of
each other
There were several Usenaughts on the trains, including ColinR. I
didn't bump into him either.
I suppose there more on the very first (southbound) service through the
new Canal Tunnels; it certainly looked that way from the video you linked.
I was surprised how empty the first northbound service was, at least at my
end of the train; perhaps it was busier near the front?
One problem of them being 12 car trains was it's a lot of space to spread
out along.

I didn't know about the rear first class declassification practice
beforehand or else we could all have forgathered there.
2018-03-01 10:56:29 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
There were several Usenaughts on the trains, including ColinR. I
didn't bump into him either.
I suppose there more on the very first (southbound) service through the
new Canal Tunnels; it certainly looked that way from the video you linked.
I was surprised how empty the first northbound service was, at least at my
end of the train; perhaps it was busier near the front?
One problem of them being 12 car trains was it's a lot of space to spread
out along.
And despite the ride being very good in a vertical plane, I found them
quite difficult to walk through, being thrown from side to side rather a
lot. After ten cars-worth of that, I decided to stay put whenever
possible.
2018-03-01 18:09:59 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
There were several Usenaughts on the trains, including ColinR. I
didn't bump into him either.
I suppose there more on the very first (southbound) service through the
new Canal Tunnels; it certainly looked that way from the video you
linked. I was surprised how empty the first northbound service was, at
least at my end of the train; perhaps it was busier near the front?
One problem of them being 12 car trains was it's a lot of space to spread
out along.
And despite the ride being very good in a vertical plane, I found
them quite difficult to walk through, being thrown from side to side
rather a lot. After ten cars-worth of that, I decided to stay put
whenever possible.
I didn't find it that bad. I went to the loo not long after leaving Gatwick
and had to walk through a carriage or two.