Haringey Heartlands
2018-02-06 22:54:09 UTC
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haringey_Heartlands

Mary Neuner Road opened in approx October 2009, but since then nothing
much appears to have happened in the area. There are no properties
accessed from the new road, and although it's a handy bypass when there
is a traffic jam on Hornsey Park Road, I suspect the business case for
the road would not stack up on that basis alone. The road only really
makes sense as an access route for the derelict land either side, but it
seems odd that the road opened nine years or more before it was needed.
Richard J.
2018-02-07 10:05:43 UTC
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haringey_Heartlands
Mary Neuner Road opened in approx October 2009, but since then nothing
much appears to have happened in the area. There are no properties
accessed from the new road, and although it's a handy bypass when there
is a traffic jam on Hornsey Park Road, I suspect the business case for
the road would not stack up on that basis alone. The road only really
makes sense as an access route for the derelict land either side, but it
seems odd that the road opened nine years or more before it was needed.
The business case was apparently that it would relieve congestion. See this BBC news report from November 2008:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2008/11/07/haringey_maryneuner_rd_feature.shtml
(The 2014 date at the top is probably when it was archived.)
--
Richard J.
2018-02-07 13:11:41 UTC
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haringey_Heartlands
Mary Neuner Road opened in approx October 2009, but since then nothing
much appears to have happened in the area. There are no properties
accessed from the new road, and although it's a handy bypass when there
is a traffic jam on Hornsey Park Road, I suspect the business case for
the road would not stack up on that basis alone. The road only really
makes sense as an access route for the derelict land either side, but it
seems odd that the road opened nine years or more before it was needed.
The business case was apparently that it would relieve congestion.  See
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2008/11/07/haringey_maryneuner_rd_feature.shtml
Interesting, thanks.

"The Mary Neuner Road will help stem congestion by taking some of the
traffic off residential roads like Hornsey Park Road, once people
realise it's there."

Eight years later, I find that it enables a few smart people to bypass
most of the traffic jam, but most people still sit in the traffic jam
which is virtually unchanged. The actual bottleneck is the lights at
Wightman Road, into which all southbound traffic still gets funnelled.
Building the new road behind the Electoral Reform Society and connecting
to Turnpike Lane by the railway bridge would have been better, but I
think the land has recently been built on, and that would double the
length and presumably the cost of the road.
Roland Perry
2018-02-07 13:24:07 UTC
"The Mary Neuner Road will help stem congestion by taking some of the
traffic off residential roads like Hornsey Park Road, once people
realise it's there."
Are there many people locally who don't realise Hornsey Park Road is
there?
2018-02-07 13:47:05 UTC
"The Mary Neuner Road will help stem congestion by taking some of the
traffic off residential roads like Hornsey Park Road, once people
realise it's there."
Are there many people locally who don't realise Hornsey Park Road is there?
Whoever named "Hornsey Park Road Services" aka "Shell Hornsey Park Road"
probably didn't realise Hornsey Park Road was there.
Robin9
2018-02-07 10:47:27 UTC
Never heard of it. I take a look in the next few days

2018-02-07 12:26:23 UTC
Are these new roads always named after councillors? It must be very boring for that perennial school project, "How my street got its name". "Mary Neuner was a Labour councillor from 1986 to 2002 END TRANSMISSION."

The best road names would be ones that do not have to be spelled every single time over the phone.
Roland Perry
2018-02-07 12:54:08 UTC
Are these new roads always named after councillors? It must be very boring for that perennial school project, "How my street got its name".
"Mary Neuner was a Labour councillor from 1986 to 2002 END TRANSMISSION."
The best road names would be ones that do not have to be spelled every single time over the phone.
I agree. And also preferably not more than about 16 characters.

(I lived in one that was 18 characters without the "Rd/St" suffix, and
it became tiresome on both grounds.)
Bryan Morris
2018-02-07 15:45:28 UTC
Are these new roads always named after councillors? It must be very
boring for that perennial school project, "How my street got its name".
"Mary Neuner was a Labour councillor from 1986 to 2002 END TRANSMISSION."
The best road names would be ones that do not have to be spelled every
single time over the phone.
I agree. And also preferably not more than about 16 characters.
(I lived in one that was 18 characters without the "Rd/St" suffix, and
it became tiresome on both grounds.)
It's been a long time since I was a Haringey Councillor but Mary took
over from her husband Frederick who was an alderman then a Councillor
from 1952 to 1982 . She was a Councillor 1986 - 2002 so between them
they served 50 years (4 years break)
Bryan Morris
Offramp
That is a tremendous achievement, and one that those in whose power the naming of new roads resides would want to commemorate as they would want their own council longevity memorialised by their successors.
Michael R N Dolbear
2018-02-09 00:54:02 UTC
Are these new roads always named after councillors? It must be very boring
for that perennial school project, "How my street got its name". "Mary
Neuner was a Labour councillor from 1986 to 2002 END TRANSMISSION."
The best road names would be ones that do not have to be spelled every
single time over the phone.
How do you like Air Balloon Rd?

Probably still have to spell it or at least clarify.

Derwentwater lane?
Mike D
Offramp
2018-02-09 01:49:43 UTC
Post by Michael R N Dolbear
Post by Offramp
The best road names would be ones that do not have to be spelled every
single time over the phone.
How do you like Air Balloon Rd?
That's great isn't it. Kids would love it.
Post by Michael R N Dolbear
Derwentwater lane?
Not so hot as the balloon.