Paddington
2021-07-13 21:45:59 UTC
The whole ground level area on the Eastbourne Terrace side is now open,
allowing views down the Crossrail escalators. The glass roof is supposed
to look as if it's covered in clouds... it just looks really dirty,
which was my prediction when it was first announced some years ago. I
wonder how long until they admit its a failure and replace it with clear
glass. Actually, moving LCD clouds would be better. Damaged brickwork
facing into this area looks appalling and spoils the whole area.

The tube entrance on the corner opposite the former Burger King is
closed, as is the nearby tube entrance inside the station. I found that
a useful route from the street into the NR station in the rain. I can't
work out what's planned here - they can't just be getting rid of them,
because there is expensive escalator kit down from here.
1985 - Old Rottenhat - Robert Wyatt
Recliner
2021-07-13 21:52:46 UTC
The whole ground level area on the Eastbourne Terrace side is now open,
allowing views down the Crossrail escalators. The glass roof is supposed
to look as if it's covered in clouds... it just looks really dirty,
which was my prediction when it was first announced some years ago. I
wonder how long until they admit its a failure and replace it with clear
glass. Actually, moving LCD clouds would be better. Damaged brickwork
facing into this area looks appalling and spoils the whole area.
The tube entrance on the corner opposite the former Burger King is
closed, as is the nearby tube entrance inside the station. I found that
a useful route from the street into the NR station in the rain. I can't
work out what's planned here - they can't just be getting rid of them,
because there is expensive escalator kit down from here.
I think there's going to be an underground corridor linking the Bakerloo
and Crossrail stations. Once that's done, presumably the escalators down
from station concourse will re-open.
Basil Jet
2021-07-13 22:00:32 UTC
[...]
So why are they closed now? Although, that ticket hall was perhaps the
crappiest on the Underground, so perhaps a better hall will be created
around the same escalator shafts.
1985 - Old Rottenhat - Robert Wyatt
Recliner
2021-07-13 22:44:49 UTC
[...]
Yes, I think so. See
<https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/improvements-and-projects/paddington-bakerloo-ticket-hall>
Basil Jet
2021-07-14 11:16:31 UTC
Yes, I think so. See
<https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/improvements-and-projects/paddington-bakerloo-ticket-hall>
Thanks.
2010 - Even Your Friend - The Chap
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2021-07-14 11:31:57 UTC
[...]
So why are they closed now?
The escalators aren't closed. They're the only access to the Bakerloo line.
Post by Basil Jet
Although, that ticket hall was perhaps the
crappiest on the Underground, so perhaps a better hall will be created
around the same escalator shafts.
I'd never even considered it to be a ticket hall tbh, just a joining of
three corridors and a pair of escalators, with a gateline.

2021-07-14 11:31:56 UTC
[...]
The escalators in question are the only access to the Bakerloo platforms,
and are very definitely still open…

Anna Noyd-Dyver
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2021-07-14 11:31:56 UTC
The whole ground level area on the Eastbourne Terrace side is now open,
allowing views down the Crossrail escalators. The glass roof is supposed
to look as if it's covered in clouds... it just looks really dirty,
which was my prediction when it was first announced some years ago. I
wonder how long until they admit its a failure and replace it with clear
glass. Actually, moving LCD clouds would be better. Damaged brickwork
facing into this area looks appalling and spoils the whole area.
The tube entrance on the corner opposite the former Burger King is
The Burger King in a freestanding building on the station concourse is very
much not 'former'.
Post by Basil Jet
closed, as is the nearby tube entrance inside the station.
That's been the case since March 2020. It's more than closed, it's totally
demolished.
Post by Basil Jet
I found that
a useful route from the street into the NR station in the rain.
Going down the narrow stairs and then back up again seems a lot of faff
compared with 70m of slightly downhill walk, tbh.

As a quicker exit from the Bakertube to the concourse (or the street),
however…
Post by Basil Jet
I can't
work out what's planned here - they can't just be getting rid of them,
AFAIK there's a new entrance planned, I think it's all related to the
demolition and replacement of the Post Office building opposite.
Post by Basil Jet
because there is expensive escalator kit down from here.
The escalators (and associated stairs) being the only access to the
Bakerloo Line, they're still full present and operational, accessed via the
entrance in the middle of the concourse as the majority of passengers have
always done.

2021-07-14 11:51:08 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Basil Jet
The whole ground level area on the Eastbourne Terrace side is now open,
allowing views down the Crossrail escalators. The glass roof is supposed
to look as if it's covered in clouds... it just looks really dirty,
which was my prediction when it was first announced some years ago. I
wonder how long until they admit its a failure and replace it with clear
glass. Actually, moving LCD clouds would be better. Damaged brickwork
facing into this area looks appalling and spoils the whole area.
The tube entrance on the corner opposite the former Burger King is
The Burger King in a freestanding building on the station concourse is very
much not 'former'.
Apologies, I now realise you mean the BK on the opposite side of Praed
Street, which does indeed appear to be 'former'.

2021-07-14 23:16:47 UTC
The whole ground level area on the Eastbourne Terrace side is now open,
allowing views down the Crossrail escalators. The glass roof is supposed
to look as if it's covered in clouds... it just looks really dirty,
which was my prediction when it was first announced some years ago. I
wonder how long until they admit its a failure and replace it with clear
glass. Actually, moving LCD clouds would be better. Damaged brickwork
facing into this area looks appalling and spoils the whole area.
The tube entrance on the corner opposite the former Burger King is
closed, as is the nearby tube entrance inside the station. I found that
a useful route from the street into the NR station in the rain. I can't
work out what's planned here - they can't just be getting rid of them,
because there is expensive escalator kit down from here.
I happened to pass through today:

Here's March 2020 and the Praed St Bakerloo entrance freshly closed:
<https://twitter.com/annanoyddryver/status/1415444621585489926?s=21>

Current view from Paddington:
<https://twitter.com/annanoyddryver/status/1415445331555270662?s=21>

Bakerloo ‘ticket hall’
<https://twitter.com/annanoyddryver/status/1415445724926513155?s=21>

Covered Elizabeth Line sign at Bakerloo platform level, and September 2018:
<https://twitter.com/annanoyddryver/status/1415447651471040514?s=21>

Elizabeth Line entrance area (former taxi rank):
<https://twitter.com/annanoyddryver/status/1415448301994926084?s=21>

Sky-cloud roof glass looks ok if bright sun is shining on it with blue sky
visible behind!:
<https://twitter.com/annanoyddryver/status/1415449748648169472?s=21>

2021-07-15 08:45:15 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Basil Jet
The whole ground level area on the Eastbourne Terrace side is now open,
allowing views down the Crossrail escalators. The glass roof is supposed
to look as if it's covered in clouds... it just looks really dirty,
which was my prediction when it was first announced some years ago. I
wonder how long until they admit its a failure and replace it with clear
glass. Actually, moving LCD clouds would be better.
Sky-cloud roof glass looks ok if bright sun is shining on it with blue sky
<https://twitter.com/annanoyddryver/status/1415449748648169472?s=21>
I saw it at approximately 8pm. Maybe it works in bright light.
2010 - Even Your Friend - The Chap
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2021-07-15 10:25:27 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Basil Jet
The whole ground level area on the Eastbourne Terrace side is now open,
allowing views down the Crossrail escalators. The glass roof is supposed
to look as if it's covered in clouds... it just looks really dirty,
which was my prediction when it was first announced some years ago. I
wonder how long until they admit its a failure and replace it with clear
glass. Actually, moving LCD clouds would be better.
Sky-cloud roof glass looks ok if bright sun is shining on it with blue sky
<https://twitter.com/annanoyddryver/status/1415449748648169472?s=21>
I saw it at approximately 8pm. Maybe it works in bright light.
With dull sky behind it I agree it looks grubby.

2021-07-15 11:14:22 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Basil Jet
The whole ground level area on the Eastbourne Terrace side is now open,
allowing views down the Crossrail escalators. The glass roof is supposed
to look as if it's covered in clouds... it just looks really dirty,
which was my prediction when it was first announced some years ago. I
wonder how long until they admit its a failure and replace it with clear
glass. Actually, moving LCD clouds would be better.
Sky-cloud roof glass looks ok if bright sun is shining on it with blue sky
<https://twitter.com/annanoyddryver/status/1415449748648169472?s=21>
I saw it at approximately 8pm. Maybe it works in bright light.
With dull sky behind it I agree it looks grubby.
Shades of Corbusier..
"Flat roofs work great in Marseilles, let's try them in Hulme".
2010 - Even Your Friend - The Chap