Insulate Britain protester is TfL manager's wife
2021-10-12 09:21:52 UTC
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/34219a9a-2b2f-11ec-a1c0-649c1183346f?shareToken=46a7ca9bf0cfc367225a2509aa21be35>

An Insulate Britain protester who has been arrested on numerous occasions
for blocking the M25 is married to a Transport for London boss responsible
for traffic flow, it emerged last night.

Cathy Eastburn, a Cambridge University philosophy graduate, lives with
Benedict Plowden, 58, in South London and she has allowed David McKenny,
38, a fellow activist, to stay at the home, The Sun said.

Greg Smith, a Conservative MP and member of the transport select committee,
told the newspaper: “Insulate Britain has caused untold misery for
individuals and businesses over recent weeks. It is an absolute kick in the
teeth that someone senior in TfL — an arm of the British state — has been
harbouring them in their house. This is unacceptable.

Last month The Sunday Times disclosed that Eastburn, 54, a musician, is one
of Britain’s most prolific climate change activists, having been arrested
at least 12 times in three years.

During the M25 protests she was arrested four times in nine days. She was
released without charge each time.

In 2019 she was arrested twice in London protesting for Extinction
Rebellion by gluing herself to a hotel and a DLR train.

Transport for London said that Plowden would be stepping down after 20
years at the organisation. A spokesman said: “We do not comment on the
activities of the families of our staff. Ben Plowden has been a dedicated
servant of London for many years — including playing a pivotal role in
ensuring the London 2012 Games were a success.
Graeme Wall
2021-10-12 10:02:11 UTC
[...]

TfL is an arm of the British State now?
2021-10-12 10:12:36 UTC
This story is a nothing burger. People aren't responsible for their spouses.
Post by Graeme Wall
TfL is an arm of the British State now?
The UK government created it, and I suspect it can disband it too.
1985\09 - Flip Your Wig - Hüsker Dü
Roland Perry
2021-10-12 11:03:12 UTC
[...]

Did Mayor Khan privatise it while we weren't looking?
2021-10-12 11:50:32 UTC
 …
[...]
I was wondering what involvement the Scots or the Welsh had in the
operation of TfL.

Also wondered when we had a British State. Pre 1922 possibly.
2021-10-12 10:10:18 UTC
[...]

And in other news, some people seem surprised that husbands are no
longer responsible for the actions of their wives and other chattels.
2021-10-13 20:06:10 UTC
[...]

As implied further down the thread husbands do not own their wives anymore
so wives should be allowed their views , it is one of the criticisms of
some religions that do not allow such expression
such as recently gained control in Afghanistan.
OTOH I wonder if the this manager of TFL has other personal problems , his
wife is allowing someone with whom she shares views that could be viewed as
controversial and reflect poorly on her partner into their home . The
guest is also some years younger, pure conjecture but I wonder of the
mutual
interests of C Eastburn and D Mckenny extend beyond insulating
houses to keeping warm in other ways.

2021-10-17 06:30:06 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Recliner
[...]

though hasn't stopped him feeling that he needs to resign.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10084501/TfL-boss-stepping-role-end-October-amid-anger-Insulate-Britain-protestor-wife.html