Class 345
2019-06-03 03:10:15 UTC
I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".

I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.
Slug - 2015 - Ripe
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2019-06-03 09:07:44 UTC
I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.
Highlighting a major destination along the way? Similarly most XC trains
are displayed on the departure boards at Bristol as "via Birmingham".

Think of it more as "Train to Stratford which then continues to Shenfield"
rather than "Train to Shenfield via Stratford rather than some other way".

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Certes
2019-06-03 10:39:17 UTC
I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.
Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield. This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.
Roland Perry
2019-06-03 11:14:17 UTC
Post by Certes
Post by Basil Jet
I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
After a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.
Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield. This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.
Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.

On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.
2019-06-03 11:27:00 UTC
 I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
After  a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
 I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.
Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield.  This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.
Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.
On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.
It's at the end of the line :-)
2019-06-03 12:18:31 UTC
 I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
After  a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
 I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.
Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield.  This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.
Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.
On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.
It's at the end of the line :-)
I was part hoping that it would be the shed as as translated to foreign.

Shed > Stock Hall > Stockel

2019-06-03 12:59:38 UTC
Post by Marland
 I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
After  a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
 I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.
Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield.  This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.
Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.
On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.
It's at the end of the line :-)
I was part hoping that it would be the shed as as translated to foreign.
Shed > Stock Hall > Stockel
Absolutely stockel reason why it should be.
2019-06-03 13:50:24 UTC
 I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
After  a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
 I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.
Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield.  This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.
Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.
On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.
It's at the end of the line :-)
Exactly, and all you need to know is that it's a label for the train you
want to catch.

Of course, in the UK we have false labels like Foxton, which means "slow
train to the station after, Cambridge".
Rolf Mantel
2019-06-03 15:38:55 UTC
Exactly, and all you need to know is that it's a label for the train you
want to catch.
Of course, in the UK we have false labels like Foxton, which means "slow
train to the station after, Cambridge".
He have the same false labels in Germany as well, e.g. "Mannheim" for
"Germersheim via Mannheim but if you want to go to Germersheim, please
take the direct train on the other platform"
David Cantrell
2019-06-03 15:06:20 UTC
I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.
Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.

People from my sort of background needed grammar schools to
compete with children from privileged homes like ... Tony Benn
-- Margaret Thatcher
Roland Perry
2019-06-03 19:11:52 UTC
Post by David Cantrell
Post by Basil Jet
I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.
Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.
Just like people can't place an irrelevant little town (with a similarly
important role as a railway junction/terminus) in Wiltshire called
Westbury?
Bryan Morris
2019-06-04 02:44:15 UTC
Post by David Cantrell
Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.
Not to be confused with Stratford in the London Borough of Newham , a
major transport hub, location of Olympic Park and as stated elsewhere
"Stratford is now East London's primary retail, cultural and leisure
centre. It has also become the second most significant (after Canary
Wharf) business location in the east of the capital"
Bryan Morris
Graeme Wall
2019-06-04 08:22:55 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by David Cantrell
Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.
Not to be confused with Stratford in the London Borough of Newham , a
major transport hub, location of Olympic Park and as stated elsewhere
"Stratford is now East London's primary retail, cultural and leisure
centre. It has also become the second most significant (after Canary
Wharf) business location in the east of the capital"
Is the Two Puddings still there?
Bryan Morris
2019-06-04 09:40:51 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by David Cantrell
Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.
Not to be confused with Stratford in the London Borough of Newham , a
major transport hub, location of Olympic Park and as stated elsewhere
"Stratford is now East London's primary retail, cultural and leisure
centre. It has also become the second most significant (after Canary
Wharf) business location in the east of the capital"
Is the Two Puddings still there?
Nope http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/e15_stratford_twopuddings.html

I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going East
from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford
Green and Woodford.

London Perl Mongers obviously don't know about London ;)
Bryan Morris
Graeme Wall
2019-06-04 10:25:08 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by Graeme Wall
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by David Cantrell
Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.
Not to be confused with Stratford in the London Borough of Newham , a
major transport hub, location of Olympic Park and as stated elsewhere
"Stratford is now East London's primary retail, cultural and leisure
centre. It has also become the second most significant (after Canary
Wharf) business location in the east of the capital"
Is the Two Puddings still there?
Nope http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/e15_stratford_twopuddings.html
Another bit of my disreputable past gone!
Mike Bristow
2019-06-04 10:25:37 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going East
from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford
Green and Woodford.
Pre '65, all of those stations (and Stratford) were in Essex.
Post by Bryan Morris
London Perl Mongers obviously don't know about London ;)
They're old and tied to the past.
Mike Bristow ***@urgle.com
Bryan Morris
2019-06-04 10:46:17 UTC
Post by Mike Bristow
Post by Bryan Morris
I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going East
from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford
Green and Woodford.
Pre '65, all of those stations (and Stratford) were in Essex.
Outside the LCC area but like Tottenham (in Middlesex) and south of the
Thames (in Surrey) had London Post Codes.
Bryan Morris
Roland Perry
2019-06-04 11:18:55 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going East
from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford
Green and Woodford.
Back in the day, Straford was were people regarded London as starting.
Perhaps because while still in Essex (until 1965) it was a County
Borough and hence felt more like a part of what was to become Greater
London, than its neighbour Ilford which was merely an Urban District
under the wing of Essex County Council.

Post 1965, for a while many people still thought of Romford as a market
town in Essex, although the continuous built up area as far as the Green
Belt (Harold Wood) tended to reinforce the perception it was thoroughly
London.

Brentwood is interesting, because while still in Essex, it became
simultaneously the "first place in Essex" for people looking outwards,
but "the start of London" for people looking inwards.

Shenfield is to Brentwood, as Hove is to Brighton.
2019-06-04 11:28:42 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
[...]
I've never heard it referred to as Shenfield-Actually.
2019-06-04 12:43:47 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
[...]
Quite: there are public buildings with Brentwood in the name east of
Shenfield station.
Julian Cope - Floored Genius 2.. Best Of The BBC Sessions 1983-91
Roland Perry
2019-06-04 15:03:11 UTC
Shenfield is to Brentwood, as Hove is to Brighton.
I've never heard it referred to as Shenfield-Actually.
Quite: there are public buildings with Brentwood in the name east of
Shenfield station.
Fewer than are west of Hove station with "Brighton" in the name.
2019-06-04 14:53:56 UTC
Brentwood is interesting, because while still in Essex, it became
simultaneously the "first place in Essex" for people looking outwards,
but "the start of London" for people looking inwards.
Shenfield is to Brentwood, as Hove is to Brighton.
I've never heard it referred to as Shenfield-Actually.
While not using that exact phrase, they have long corrected people who
attribute them as "Brentwood" residents. Unless of course they live on
the posh private estate in Shenfield (it's a bit like St Georges Hill in
Weybridge) when they might say "Hutton Mount [actually]".
David Cantrell
2019-06-06 09:27:54 UTC
Post by Bryan Morris
Post by David Cantrell
Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.
Not to be confused with Stratford in the London Borough of Newham ...
I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going East
from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford
Green and Woodford.
London Perl Mongers obviously don't know about London ;)
What on earth are you babbling about? I said that people *would* know
about Stratford and not about Shenfield.
--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

All principles of gravity are negated by fear
-- Cartoon Law IV
Robin9
2019-06-07 08:29:34 UTC
There is no station on the Central Line called Woodford Green
The station is called South Woodford and many moons ago wa
called George Lane. Woodford Green itself, one of the best
village greens in London, is up the hill from Woodford Station