Banksy decorates a Circle Line train
2020-07-14 15:44:53 UTC
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
collaborator:
<https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/>

I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-07-15 08:00:40 UTC
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 15:44:53 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Recliner
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
<https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/>
I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?
Or reduced it if like me you think Banksy is nothing more than a ham artist
who got famous for [reasons] with his undergrad art college level stencils.
Recliner
2020-07-15 08:24:54 UTC
Post by Recliner
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
<https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/>
I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?
Or reduced it if like me you think Banksy is nothing more than a ham artist
who got famous for [reasons] with his undergrad art college level stencils.
<https://www.myartbroker.com/artist/banksy/top-ten-prices-paid-for-banksy-art/>

The cost of an S stock carriage is about £1m. So four Banksy artworks each
have been sold for more than the cost of such a carriage. The highest
priced Banksy fetched more than the cost of a whole S stock train.
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-07-15 08:29:01 UTC
Post by Recliner
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
<https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/>
I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?
Or reduced it if like me you think Banksy is nothing more than a ham artist
who got famous for [reasons] with his undergrad art college level stencils.
<https://www.myartbroker.com/artist/banksy/top-ten-prices-paid-for-banksy-art/>
The cost of an S stock carriage is about £1m. So four Banksy artworks each
have been sold for more than the cost of such a carriage. The highest
priced Banksy fetched more than the cost of a whole S stock train.
Well quite possibly and as Damien Hirst and Tracy Emin have been proving for
decades now - there are plenty of idiots who are willing to be parted from
their money for utter tat. Ditto Banksys. But given he uses stencils he can
recreate his "works" in seconds anywhere. Perhaps LU should have got him to
stencil some A, D and C stocks before they went to the scappers.
Marland
2020-07-15 10:11:09 UTC
Post by Recliner
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
<https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/>
I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?
Or reduced it if like me you think Banksy is nothing more than a ham artist
who got famous for [reasons] with his undergrad art college level stencils.
<https://www.myartbroker.com/artist/banksy/top-ten-prices-paid-for-banksy-art/>
The cost of an S stock carriage is about £1m. So four Banksy artworks each
have been sold for more than the cost of such a carriage. The highest
priced Banksy fetched more than the cost of a whole S stock train.
He is a bit of a Robin Hood figure though who by skilful timing and
choosing of subjects has managed to progress from a graffiti vandal to folk
hero.
Just hope we don’t see copycats who. think it okay to start daubing
messages inside vehicles because they think it has become socially
acceptable .can just imagine the furore when someone daubs Black Lives
Matter in a non artistic manner and it gets cleaned off because the mark
resembles more the
vomit resembling mess seen on Railway infrastructure rather than anything
artistic.

GH
m***@round-midnight.org.uk
2020-07-15 10:30:46 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Recliner
[...]
It appears TFW have done the correct thing and got rid of it:-
https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/15/tfl-took-banksys-tube-artwork-strict-no-graffiti-policy-12990648/
Recliner
2020-07-15 10:47:22 UTC
Post by m***@round-midnight.org.uk
Post by Marland
Post by Recliner
[...]
That's very generous of TfW. Do they normally clean the graffiti from
London trains, or only if the artist is famous? Or were they actually
stealing it, and it'll reappear in a Cardiff gallery on a donor Pacer?
Sam Wilson
2020-07-15 11:11:48 UTC
Post by Marland
Post by Recliner
[...]
The headline on the article must be wrong as well, because it refers to TfL
not TfW. Don’t journalists check anything these days?

Sam (TBH I only read the headline)
--
The entity formerly known as ***@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply
Bevan Price
2020-07-15 11:14:39 UTC
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
<https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/>
I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?
The so-called "artist" has committed criminal damage to the train, and
should hopefully be sought, caught & prosecuted by the police. Failure
to do that will only induce others to follow his example.
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2020-07-15 12:31:19 UTC
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
<https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/>
I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?
All scrubbed off and back in service now.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Scott
I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.
Charles Ellson
You have missed an obvious problem with that.
Basil Jet
2020-07-15 19:54:58 UTC
Post by Scott
I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.
You have missed an obvious problem with that.
Do you really think the authorities don't know who Banksy is?
The Monkees - 1996 - Justus
Recliner
2020-07-15 21:01:56 UTC
Post by Scott
I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.
You have missed an obvious problem with that.
Do you really think the authorities don't know who Banksy is?
There's a theory that it's not one man, but a group of two or three, such
as Robin Gunningham, Robert Del Naja and Jamie Hewlett. I reckon that, in
ths case, the video is the actual artwork, shot by Banksy, with a masked
friend doing the application.
b***@nowhere.co.uk
2020-07-16 07:47:54 UTC
On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 21:01:56 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Scott
I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.
You have missed an obvious problem with that.
Do you really think the authorities don't know who Banksy is?
There's a theory that it's not one man, but a group of two or three, such
as Robin Gunningham, Robert Del Naja and Jamie Hewlett. I reckon that, in
ths case, the video is the actual artwork, shot by Banksy, with a masked
friend doing the application.
Subcontracting/delegation to someone else to do the actual work while the
artist was the "inspiration" (or project manager more like) seems to be fairly
common in the art world. Even the old masters were at it. Slightly fraudulent
IMO but YMMV.
Recliner
2020-07-16 08:03:02 UTC
Post by Scott
I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.
You have missed an obvious problem with that.
Do you really think the authorities don't know who Banksy is?
There's a theory that it's not one man, but a group of two or three, such
as Robin Gunningham, Robert Del Naja and Jamie Hewlett. I reckon that, in
ths case, the video is the actual artwork, shot by Banksy, with a masked
friend doing the application.
Subcontracting/delegation to someone else to do the actual work while the
artist was the "inspiration" (or project manager more like) seems to be fairly
common in the art world. Even the old masters were at it. Slightly fraudulent
IMO but YMMV.
Yes, having their studio do most or all of the actual physical work is a
long established tradition for artists great and not so great (like Hirst).
We don't know if Banksy normally does that.

But in this case, I think the artwork itself is the video, not the
graffiti, which they knew would soon be removed. So, if Banksy designed the
stunt and shot the video, than he could be said to have personally produced
the artwork. The spray paint was just one of the materials used.
b***@nowhere.co.uk
Quite possibly given he doesn't normally video the process.
Scott
2020-07-16 08:29:29 UTC
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
IMO but YMMV.
Yes, having their studio do most or all of the actual physical work is a
long established tradition for artists great and not so great (like Hirst).
We don't know if Banksy normally does that.
But in this case, I think the artwork itself is the video, not the
Quite possibly given he doesn't normally video the process.
What are the rules about video recording on the London Underground
anyway? I though permission was needed.
Marland
2020-07-16 10:23:36 UTC
Post by Scott
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
Post by Recliner
But in this case, I think the artwork itself is the video, not the
Quite possibly given he doesn't normally video the process.
What are the rules about video recording on the London Underground
anyway? I though permission was needed.
Applicant ,Dear TFL , May I Have permission to make a video recording on
a train?

TFl. Please fill in form giving name and address details and details
of what your production will be about.

Applicant , I live at 54 Shit Street Brixton and I’m going to film myself
and an accomplice vandalising the inside of one of you trains with spray
paint.

TfL , permission denied , please resubmit calling yourself an Artist and
what you are doing is art,
public support means we may have to tolerate your action.

Yep it might work

GH
Certes
2020-07-16 11:11:11 UTC
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
IMO but YMMV.
Yes, having their studio do most or all of the actual physical work is a
long established tradition for artists great and not so great (like Hirst).
We don't know if Banksy normally does that.
But in this case, I think the artwork itself is the video, not the
Quite possibly given he doesn't normally video the process.
What are the rules about video recording on the London Underground
anyway? I though permission was needed.
Banksy: Hold this fence for me while we break into the depot.
Colleague: OK boss, in we go!
Banksy: Now help me spray paint all over this carriage.
Colleague: Done. We just had enough black to finish the job.
Banksy: Now, stand back while I video our work.
Colleague: Sorry boss, I can't let you do that, we don't have a permit.
Graeme Wall
2020-07-16 15:30:39 UTC
Post by b***@nowhere.co.uk
IMO but YMMV.
Yes, having their studio do most or all of the actual physical work is a
long established tradition for artists great and not so great (like Hirst).
We don't know if Banksy normally does that.
But in this case, I think the artwork itself is the video, not the
Quite possibly given he doesn't normally video the process.
What are the rules about video recording on the London Underground
anyway? I though permission was needed.
For commercial purposes yes, no way are you going to stop people using
their phones to video while travelling.
Scott
Absence of patrimonial loss?
m***@round-midnight.org.uk
2020-07-15 17:30:26 UTC
Post by Anna Noyd-Dryver
Post by Recliner
Banksy reminds LU passengers to wear their masks. Amazingly, his elaborate
performance was on a busy in-service train, and was videoed by a
<https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn800cFIbe/>
I wonder if that has doubled the value of the S7 carriage?
All scrubbed off and back in service now.
I hope they billed 'Banksy' for the cost.
Quite frankly I hope he's prosecuted as well.