Norbiton to close during Waterloo work
2017-05-23 22:22:24 UTC
Why?

Closed stations:
Chessington North
Chessington South
Earlsfield
Malden Manor
Norbiton
Queenstown Road
Tolworth

Apart from the Chessington branch, the other closures are quietish
stations on the mainline where capacity will presumably be an issue if
the normal number of tracks is not available. But Norbiton is on a
two-track branch, and I don't see why it would close when its neighbours
stay open.
Tony Dragon
2017-05-24 21:31:40 UTC
Why?
Chessington North
Chessington South
Earlsfield
Malden Manor
Norbiton
Queenstown Road
Tolworth
Apart from the Chessington branch, the other closures are quietish
stations on the mainline where capacity will presumably be an issue if
the normal number of tracks is not available. But Norbiton is on a
two-track branch, and I don't see why it would close when its neighbours
stay open.
Earlsfield a quite station?

IIRC there will be no trains between Kingston & New Malden, so no
Norbiton. This will reduce the number of trains on the main line as will
the lack of Chessington trains.

Chessington line passengers will have a bus to Worcester Park which will
be very crowded, their other option will be to travel to Surbiton, which
will be just as bad.

Wait for the report of Surbiton being temporary closed due to overcrowding.

---
2017-05-25 10:09:48 UTC
Post by Tony Dragon
Post by Basil Jet
Why?
Chessington North
Chessington South
Earlsfield
Malden Manor
Norbiton
Queenstown Road
Tolworth
Apart from the Chessington branch, the other closures are quietish
stations on the mainline where capacity will presumably be an issue if
the normal number of tracks is not available. But Norbiton is on a
two-track branch, and I don't see why it would close when its neighbours
stay open.
Earlsfield a quite station?
ITYF that was covered by his easement of "stations on the mainline"
Post by Tony Dragon
IIRC there will be no trains between Kingston & New Malden, so no
So Kingston will only be open "the long way round"

Great

2017-05-25 10:32:16 UTC
Post by Tony Dragon
Post by Basil Jet
Why?
Chessington North
Chessington South
Earlsfield
Malden Manor
Norbiton
Queenstown Road
Tolworth
Apart from the Chessington branch, the other closures are quietish
stations on the mainline where capacity will presumably be an issue
if the normal number of tracks is not available. But Norbiton is on a
two-track branch, and I don't see why it would close when its
neighbours stay open.
Earlsfield a quite station?
ITYF that was covered by his easement of "stations on the mainline"
Quite. I was aware that Earlsfield is one of the busiest
non-interchanges in the country, which is why I said "quietish" as a
shorthand for "pales into insignificance alongside Clapham Junction and
Wimbledon".