Angel Road station
2017-02-05 04:05:15 UTC

I've never used the footpath to it... pretty grim. The rebuilding can't
come quickly enough. It's not obvious to me why the staircase isn't
north-south so that you could see the station from the street and vice
versa.. surely that would feel safer than what they've done, as well as
giving shorter walks.
Offramp
Blimey! It's like a cross between Wembley Park and Threads.
Paul Corfield
2017-02-06 23:26:11 UTC
http://youtu.be/_bL0FdnXef4
I've never used the footpath to it... pretty grim. The rebuilding can't
come quickly enough. It's not obvious to me why the staircase isn't
north-south so that you could see the station from the street and vice
versa.. surely that would feel safer than what they've done, as well as
giving shorter walks.
Slightly surprised that you weren't aware how ghastly the place is. It's a minor miracle anyone uses it. At least someone has captured the "experience" for posterity. When the new station arrives it will be south of the A406 near Tescos / IKEA so the existing station will vanish entirely. What is going to be interesting is how people around the Montague Road area view the move and whether they will shift their travel patterns to use the new station with its more frequent service. Bus interchange will also be something worth watching as TfL amend the 34 / 444 to serve the new Meridian Water development. I doubt the 192 will change but the 341 may run further into the new development as it opens at.
--
Paul C
via Google
Basil Jet
2017-02-07 00:11:13 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Basil Jet
http://youtu.be/_bL0FdnXef4
I've never used the footpath to it... pretty grim. The rebuilding can't
come quickly enough. It's not obvious to me why the staircase isn't
north-south so that you could see the station from the street and vice
versa.. surely that would feel safer than what they've done, as well as
giving shorter walks.
Slightly surprised that you weren't aware how ghastly the place is.
I was well aware... I have never used it because it is so scary. I've
had a knife held to my throat elsewhere and I don't go out of my way to
repeat the experience with a gun.

The other marginally interesting thing earlier in the video is at ...
http://youtu.be/_bL0FdnXef4
... you have to use intuition to defuzz the image, but the line guide on
the northbound timetable shows Enfield Lock as the next station. This is
logical because the northbound trains from Angel Road (or from
Northumberland Park) never stop at Ponders End or Brimsdown, although a
few southbound trains per week call at all four, so presumably the
southbound timetables at Ponders End and Brimsdown will show Angel Road.
Basil Jet
2017-02-08 07:31:16 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Basil Jet
http://youtu.be/_bL0FdnXef4
[...]
I just realised Geoff Marshall is planning to do Angel Road in his
series of least used stations in each county. You'd be a very
informative partner for him, Paul!

r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-02-08 23:50:21 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Basil Jet
http://youtu.be/_bL0FdnXef4
[...]
http://youtu.be/LB9JlpgBp9w
I'm looking forward to seeing Geoff at Shippea Hill!
2017-02-09 12:33:01 UTC
Request stops seem like a good idea on some quiet lines. Is it a modern idea or did request stops exist pre-Beeching?
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-02-09 13:53:49 UTC
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 04:33:01 -0800 (PST), Offramp
Post by Offramp
Request stops seem like a good idea on some quiet lines. Is it a modern idea or did request stops exist pre-Beeching?
Long time before, in some places a line when opened in the 19th
century was not as busy as first anticipated and some stations had
trains that only stopped on request till the traffic built up such as
this one in Sussex
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/g/grange_road/

Jumping forward a few were opened in the thirties particularly on the
GWR where its pioneering adoption of diesel railcars made the
operation fairly straight forward. A few more came about when BR
introduced its four wheel railbuses but only saw a few years use
before the lines they were on closed.
Although the Beeching report was responsible for many closures in a
short period of time and is still in living memory for many it was
actually quite late in the scheme of things being announced in 1963,
Many lines started to lose passenger services in the 30's and 50's
but what differed from the Beeching era was they often stayed open for
goods till that went as a factory or quarry closed and the line
shutdown unnoticed.
By 1963 when a line was put up for closure there was no goods
traffic left to speak of so many lines closed totally and more of the
public at large noticed the Railway down the road had disappeared and
had a moan while getting in their Ford Anglia.

G.Harman
Offramp
2017-02-16 15:46:39 UTC
I was on the 152 bus today and it stopped at Abbey Rd. How many Abbey Roads are there on TfL?
Richard J.
2017-02-16 16:42:52 UTC
I was on the 152 bus today and it stopped at Abbey Rd. How many Abbey Roads are there on TfL?
Dunno.
How many more off-topic questions are you planning to add to this thread?
--
Richard J.
2017-02-16 19:19:24 UTC
Two more.
Offramp
2017-02-21 18:37:43 UTC
How far is Angel Rd Station from a bus stop?
Paul Corfield
2017-02-21 22:15:11 UTC
How far is Angel Rd Station from a bus stop?
the nearest stops are either Hail and Ride on Montagu Road for route 192 or a bit further on near the A406 for the 34 and 444 (stops A and B). A lot of people swap routes at this location.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/angel-road-upper-edmonton-a4-0716.pdf
--
Paul C
via Google
Robin
2017-02-08 12:55:25 UTC
When the new station arrives it will be south of the A406 near Tescos / IKEA so the existing station will vanish entirely. What is going to be interesting is...
Another interesting (or possibly not!) question which struck me when I
saw the plans was what policy the staff would be told to operate when[1]
people arrive with double beds, 3 seater settees, etc

[1] I've seen what some people try to take onto buses from that IKEA so
I do mean "when", not "if" :)