Bus services outside of London
2017-09-23 11:50:01 UTC
I am intending to spend a week on the Norfolk coast. I can't drive so I was going to buy a weekly bus pass to travel along the coast.

The trouble is that apparently if I buy a weekly Stagecoach Bus Pass I don't think I can use it on any other operator's buses. Or can I? Stagecoach is quite specific that its Megarider Pass is "valid for one weeks travel on Stagecoach services within Norfolk and surrounding areas..."
Theo
2017-09-23 12:44:06 UTC
I am intending to spend a week on the Norfolk coast. I can't drive so I
was going to buy a weekly bus pass to travel along the coast.
The trouble is that apparently if I buy a weekly Stagecoach Bus Pass I
don't think I can use it on any other operator's buses. Or can I?
Stagecoach is quite specific that its Megarider Pass is "valid for one
weeks travel on Stagecoach services within Norfolk and surrounding
areas..."
Single-operator tickets are usually single-operator. Norwich has a
multi-operator ticket, but I don't know if there are any for further afield:
https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/public-transport/buses/fusion

There's also Plusbus for Norwich, King's Lynn, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft...
but not sure if that suits.

Depends what the coverage is like in the areas you want to visit. The
Coasthopper is a Stagecoach fare aimed at people travelling along the coast:
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/east/coasthopper

(it seems Stagecoach recently bought Norfolk Green who were a major operator
in northern Norfolk. In and south of Norwich other operators also run)

Theo
Offramp
2017-09-24 10:01:27 UTC
Thank you both, Theo and Tim. I am pretty certain that this Coasthopper ticket is the one I want. It sounds very good, shuttling right along the coast.
tim...
2017-09-23 15:18:16 UTC
I am intending to spend a week on the Norfolk coast. I can't drive so I
was going to buy a weekly bus pass to travel along the coast.
The trouble is that apparently if I buy a weekly Stagecoach Bus Pass I
don't think I can use it on any other operator's buses. Or can I?
Stagecoach is quite specific that its Megarider Pass is "valid for one
weeks travel on Stagecoach services within Norfolk and surrounding
areas..."
looks like this is the operator that you want:

http://www.sanderscoaches.com/timetables/map.aspx

and they don't appear to do a weekly explorer ticket

If you want the Western part of the coast covered by the single Stagecoach
route, I think you're just going to have to buy daily tickets for that, but
ISTM that it's so expensive (as it covers an area West of Lynn that you
aren't going to need) a point to point ticket might work out cheaper for
many journeys

Good Luck

2017-09-26 22:02:31 UTC
I am intending to spend a week on the Norfolk coast. I can't drive so I was going to buy a weekly bus pass to travel along the coast.
The trouble is that apparently if I buy a weekly Stagecoach Bus Pass I don't think I can use it on any other operator's buses. Or can I? Stagecoach is quite specific that its Megarider Pass is "valid for one weeks travel on Stagecoach services within Norfolk and surrounding areas..."
As others have rightly said there is no multi operator ticket for that part of the world. However Stagecoach operate a lot of the services but there is also First's X1 Excel service (Norwich - Peterborough) and some Go Ahead Konectbus / Anglian Bus routes. Sanders is another main independent in and around Norwich. First Bus run most of Norwich's city services. There is a multi operator ticket for Norwich. To get best value you'll need to plan your days out with care and buy the most appropriate ticket.

The Stagecoach and Go Ahead company websites for the relevant areas / local cos are pretty decent and have fares info available on line. Stagecoach allows you to plan a journey and get the fare(s) that apply. I think Konectbus / Anglian Bus do the same.

Watch out for timetable changes as we've probably just switched out of Summer peak timetables to Winter - this will certainly affect the frequency of the Coasthopper route as it's more frequent (and busy) in Summer.
--
Paul C
via Google
Robin
2017-09-27 10:35:42 UTC
On 26/09/2017 23:02, Paul Corfield wrote:

<snip>
However Stagecoach operate a lot of the services but there is also First's X1 Excel service (Norwich - Peterborough) .
Thanks, I'd not noticed that service. I have seen (and used) the X1
(Norwich-Gt Yarmouth-Lowestoft), also run by First. Perhaps they think
X1 is good branding. Anyway, I'll try to pay careful attention at
Norwich bus station if I want to use a particular one of them in the
future ;)
Michael R N Dolbear
2017-09-27 14:41:42 UTC
<snip>
Post by Robin
Post by Paul Corfield
However Stagecoach operate a lot of the services but there is also
First's X1 Excel service (Norwich - Peterborough) .
Thanks, I'd not noticed that service. I have seen (and used) the X1
(Norwich-Gt Yarmouth-Lowestoft), also run by First. Perhaps they think
X1 is good branding. Anyway, I'll try to pay careful attention at
Norwich bus station if I want to use a particular one of them in the
future ;)

Interesting. As far as the law is concerned it would appear that ALL bus
services could be X1

I looked at grounds for objection to registering a new commercial service on
discovering that from 2nd September Abellio would operate a 461 bus Mon-Sat
not evn Kingston-upon-Thames to Addlestone and Hallmark a 461 Kingston to St
Peter's Hospital via Addlestone Mon-Sun with evening and Sunday buses run on
behalf of Surrey County Council.
Mike D
Roland Perry
2017-09-27 18:46:05 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Robin
Post by Paul Corfield
However Stagecoach operate a lot of the services but there is also
First's X1 Excel service (Norwich - Peterborough) .
Thanks, I'd not noticed that service. I have seen (and used) the X1
(Norwich-Gt Yarmouth-Lowestoft), also run by First. Perhaps they think
X1 is good branding. Anyway, I'll try to pay careful attention at
Norwich bus station if I want to use a particular one of them in the
future ;)
Interesting. As far as the law is concerned it would appear that ALL
bus services could be X1
Is it the case that "X" numbered bus services are excluded from
concessionary passes? (On account of it differentiating them from
being "local" buses).
2017-09-27 19:51:31 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Robin
Post by Paul Corfield
However Stagecoach operate a lot of the services but there is also
First's X1 Excel service (Norwich - Peterborough) .
Thanks, I'd not noticed that service. I have seen (and used) the X1
(Norwich-Gt Yarmouth-Lowestoft), also run by First. Perhaps they think
X1 is good branding. Anyway, I'll try to pay careful attention at
Norwich bus station if I want to use a particular one of them in the
future ;)
Interesting. As far as the law is concerned it would appear that ALL
bus services could be X1
Is it the case that "X" numbered bus services are excluded from
concessionary passes? (On account of it differentiating them from
being "local" buses).
Generally no they are not excluded. There are the occasional exceptions which tend to be short duration special services for holiday periods or events. Things like sightseeing tours tend to be excluded but it depends entirely on how they are registered.

The X1s are Norwich are normal bus routes so concessionary passes are valid. Probably one of the more surprising "local buses" is the seasonal 888 Wrights Brothers service from Newcastle to Keswick. Only runs in the high summer season now (used to be daily when I was a child) but takes concessionary pass holders who rather enjoy a day out to the Lakes or to Alston. You get about 4.5 hours in Keswick so enough for a stroll to the Lakeside, round the town or to grab a coffee and cake. I did it a few years ago right at the end of the season - lots of people saying "goodbye" to each other and saying they'll see them next Summer for a day out. The are loads and loads of other "X" services or similar which accept concessionary permits and which have pretty exceptional loadings as a result - the X15 Newcastle to Berwick (the old 505), the 555 Keswick - Lancaster, Yorkshire Coastliner routes to Scarborough and Whitby, X93 Middlesbrough - Scarborough are just a few that I know of "up north" which now need double deck vehicles to cope with the loadings.
--
Paul C
via Google
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-09-27 20:42:21 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Robin
Post by Robin
Post by Paul Corfield
[...]
I'm puzzled how concessionary passes are excluded from sightseeing tours
because they advertise "local fares available" which I thought was a dodge
to qualify for BSOG. But exclude passes they certainly do.
James Heaton
2017-09-27 20:50:22 UTC
Post by Paul Corfield
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Robin
Post by Robin
Post by Paul Corfield
[...]
Yup. The X indicates limited stop in the big towns/cities. Not in the
small ones as there's often no other services!

I don't think there's any ticket which will cover all services. Depends
where you're staying what's best, and you'll need to plan.

First - Norwich, GY, and suburbs.
Konect - west of Norwich
Sanders - north of Norwich up to the coast
Green/Stagecoach (same firm) - King's Lynn and west, including the legendary
coasthopper.
Lynx - west
Anglian - east
Coach services - Thetford and south
Simonds - Diss and south

There are a few others like Marets Chariots and Our Hire running a few
services.

Traveline east Anglia is a good bet!

Coasthopper goes over to winter times this weekend
https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/Timetables/East/NORFOLK/KL%20-%20COASTHOPPER%20-%20OCT%202017.pdf
for the timetable - hope these work.

Don't forget there are trains to Lynn, Cromer/Sheringham, Yarmouth and
Lowestoft.

Self catering can be very cheap this time of year, particularly if there's
2+ of you. Supermarket home delivery available to most villages. Or taxi
from the local supermarket - even the smaller towns like Hunstanton have a
reasonable choice. The village stores are ok but limited choice for a big
shop at the start of the week and can be expensive.

Enjoy your stay Offramp! Feel free to pick my brains on group, or you can
probably work out my spam trap!

James
Offramp
2017-09-28 16:14:53 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Paul Corfield
[...]
James. many thanks for your very helpful suggestions. Also to Tim & Theo (again) and the others.

I am sure I am not alone in enjoying the coast at its worst. The sun gets on my nerves, and I prefer raging winds, driving rain and deserted beaches. very Hancockian.
James Heaton
2017-09-28 17:19:57 UTC
Post by James Heaton
Post by Paul Corfield
[...]
Me too. I love the coast with a bit of wind and swell up.

Have you ever seen any of Lowry's seascapes, mostly of the small resorts
north and south of Sunderland? I think they would appeal based on the
above. I can look at them for ages, every time you look there's something a
bit different.

James

r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-09-27 20:10:10 UTC
Post by Robin
Post by Robin
Post by Paul Corfield
However Stagecoach operate a lot of the services but there is also
First's X1 Excel service (Norwich - Peterborough) .
Thanks, I'd not noticed that service. I have seen (and used) the X1
(Norwich-Gt Yarmouth-Lowestoft), also run by First. Perhaps they think
X1 is good branding. Anyway, I'll try to pay careful attention at
Norwich bus station if I want to use a particular one of them in the
future ;)
Interesting. As far as the law is concerned it would appear that ALL
bus services could be X1
Is it the case that "X" numbered bus services are excluded from
concessionary passes? (On account of it differentiating them from
being "local" buses).
No, as you should well know from the X5.
2017-09-28 06:34:42 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Roland Perry
Is it the case that "X" numbered bus services are excluded from
concessionary passes? (On account of it differentiating them from
being "local" buses).
No, as you should well know from the X5.
I recall some controversy over the X5, but maybe it's been settled in
the passengers' favour. The other day I saw an X5 on the road, and was
surprised it's been downsized to a single decker.
2017-09-28 09:04:41 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Roland Perry
Is it the case that "X" numbered bus services are excluded from
concessionary passes? (On account of it differentiating them from
being "local" buses).
No, as you should well know from the X5.
I recall some controversy over the X5, but maybe it's been settled in
the passengers' favour. The other day I saw an X5 on the road, and
was surprised it's been downsized to a single decker.
It's a long 3-axle coach so puts comfort ahead of the highest capacity.
It'll still be over 50 seats I expect. They do have double deckers on it
sometimes.