Waterloo pictures
2017-08-10 13:12:55 UTC
I went along to Waterloo this morning and took a few pictures:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157684802951344>

A few observations:

- It was moderately busy, but no problems. Lots of blue-vested helpers
around, but they didn't seem to be needed.

- Many trains in the former international platforms are delayed by a
few minutes. Even if they leave on time, they get delayed on the way
out, presumably because the current track layout isn't optimised for
domestic trains. Maybe they'll change it after the Southeastern trains
have finished using it next month?

- The international station is still very much a building site. Only
part of the new concourse is open, and you get to it by a temporary,
fenced-in bridge. Work continues on the new retail area beneath.

- All of the platforms 20-24 are accessed through the same gateline,
which is in operation. It was reminiscent of the new London Bridge low
level platforms gateline.

- I saw no sign of a direct route from the new concourse to the Tube
lines below, but there's so much work yet to do, that it may appear
later.

- I got the impression that platform 20-24 are slightly lower than the
UK norm (such as it is). The step up to the train seemed slightly
higher than usual, though the curved platforms make it worse. I
couldn't see any sign that platforms had been raised.

- A jobsworth immediately stopped me taking pictures of the
construction work taking place beyond the closed platforms' gateline.
He seemed to have been placed there specifically for that purpose;
nobody stopped me taking pics in the station public areas. But what
struck me was the construction material trains are parked right up to
the buffers, even though I thought the platform rebuilding was taking
place towards the country ends.

- As an aside, I noticed that all four Battersea Power station
chimneys have been rebuilt, and look pristine (unlike the rest of the
battered old building).
Tony Dragon
2017-08-10 14:50:57 UTC
[...]
The power station chimneys were being rebuilt but to a lower height.

---
2017-08-10 15:26:10 UTC
Post by Tony Dragon
Post by Recliner
[...]
Are you quite sure??? I think you might be confused by the way they
rebuilt the first tower, with the work paused for an inspection when the
chimney had reached half its height. Only when this was passed were the
other three chimneys allowed to be demolished. All have now been rebuilt to
their exact original external dimensions.

I understand that a great deal of effort has been put into exactly
replicating the old chimneys, including their height above the ground
(101m) and cross section. The same construction method was used, but with
better steel reinforcement. They've even been repainted into their original
colour paint, Light Ivory, RAL 1015.

If there's one difference that would really jump out would be if they were
shorter than before; there any number of pictures of the old station, so
the new chimneys will be very carefully compared with the originals.

<http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2015/10/06/go-ahead-for-battersea-power-station-chimneys-rebuild/>

<http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2017/06/05/two-year-rebuild-complete-of-battersea-chimneys/>

<https://www.batterseapowerstation.co.uk/#!/go/view/app/chimney?view=updates>

<http://www.building.co.uk/battersea-power-station-pigs-might-fly/5079062.article>
Tony Dragon
2017-08-10 15:57:04 UTC
Post by Tony Dragon
Post by Recliner
[...]
It appears that my information was wrong, my apologies.

---
Rink
2017-08-10 17:13:39 UTC
Post by Tony Dragon
Post by Recliner
[...]
So Pink Floyd can take the "Animals" pictures again :-)

Rink
Recliner
2017-08-10 20:18:05 UTC
Post by Rink
Post by Recliner
Post by Tony Dragon
Post by Recliner
[...]
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/x7SKhSyzKeU/maxresdefault.jpg
Actually, no, as the old power station will be closely surrounded by new
blocks of flats, about as high as the main power station buildings. The
only clear views of it will be from across the river.
Graeme Wall
2017-08-16 16:20:54 UTC
I went on a reconnaissance trip to Waterloo this afternoon, and
made a point of travelling from the new/old part of the station.
The first thing that caught my eye was platform 24. When I was a
boy, there were only 21 platforms. There are steps from platforms
23 & 24 at least down to whatever is underneath.

The service was erratic to say the least. One train in 23 was due to
leave at 14.28 while the train in 24 was scheduled for five minutes
later and did leave on time. The other train left 12 minutes late!

I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5) I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward

2017-08-16 20:54:56 UTC
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 17:20:54 +0100, Robin9
Post by Robin9
I went on a reconnaissance trip to Waterloo this afternoon, and
made a point of travelling from the new/old part of the station.
The first thing that caught my eye was platform 24. When I was a
boy, there were only 21 platforms.
Yes, the original 20 and 21 were absorbed into the international
extension.
Post by Robin9
There are steps from platforms
23 & 24 at least down to whatever is underneath.
It used to the old Eurostar security/immigration/departure hall/car
park, but will become retail space.
Post by Robin9
The service was erratic to say the least. One train in 23 was due to
leave at 14.28 while the train in 24 was scheduled for five minutes
later and did leave on time. The other train left 12 minutes late!
I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5).
I think they're more commonly 3x3-car 159s. This train must have
consisted of 2x3-car 159s+2-car 158.
Again, not unusual.
Roland Perry
2017-08-17 07:12:44 UTC
Post by Robin9
I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.
Again, not unusual.
Back in the day when I go that Eurostar connecting train from
Warminster, the regular Sprinters often used to split/join at
Salisbury (I went to Basingstoke a few times that routing).
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-08-17 09:00:47 UTC
Post by Robin9
I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.
Again, not unusual.
Back in the day when I go that Eurostar connecting train from
Warminster, the regular Sprinters often used to split/join at
Salisbury (I went to Basingstoke a few times that routing).
Some services that leave Waterloo serve Bristol Temple Meads via that
route as well as Exeter with the split taking place at Salisbury, the
PID and the train conductor/guard empathise that passengers must make
sure they are seated in the appropriate section.

Talking of Warminster reminds be that this unusual bus operation takes
place the weekend after next.
https://imberbus.wordpress.com/

G.Harman
Tony Dragon
2017-08-16 21:05:32 UTC
Post by Robin9
I went on a reconnaissance trip to Waterloo this afternoon, and
made a point of travelling from the new/old part of the station.
The first thing that caught my eye was platform 24. When I was a
boy, there were only 21 platforms. There are steps from platforms
23 & 24 at least down to whatever is underneath.
The service was erratic to say the least. One train in 23 was due to
leave at 14.28 while the train in 24 was scheduled for five minutes
later and did leave on time. The other train left 12 minutes late!
I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5) I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.
Not 3+5, probably 3+3+2

---
2017-08-17 00:56:34 UTC
Post by Robin9
I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5) I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.
Comprised of what? Class 159s are 3 car and SWT's Class 158s are 2 car.
2017-08-17 10:57:25 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by Robin9
I noticed with great surprise that a train for Exeter comprised
8 coaches. (3+5) I don't know if this was to reduce the number of
departures during the work. The departure board declared that
the train would be divided at Salisbury and that only three coaches
would go forward.
Comprised of what? Class 159s are 3 car and SWT's Class 158s are 2 car.
Which answers the question: the Exeter train was a 159, and the
Salisbury one, a 159+158.

Offramp
2017-08-10 20:37:10 UTC
Thank you! Superb.
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-08-10 21:47:48 UTC
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 14:12:55 +0100, Recliner
Post by Recliner
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157684802951344>
- It was moderately busy, but no problems. Lots of blue-vested helpers
around, but they didn't seem to be needed.
The name used on the bottom of the poster that you have shown close up
is interesting,
The South Western Railway.

Is that South West Trains having a final dig that they consider
themselves to be the natural operator or has someone sensibly used a
name that covers both them and the new incumbent.
presumably South West Trains won't pull the plug on their web site on
the 20th and properly aren't allowed to do so by various agreements.

Must be tempting just to put up a page that says "Tough , ask the new
lot , we've gone.

G.Harman
Recliner
2017-08-10 22:24:37 UTC
Post by Recliner
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157684802951344>
- It was moderately busy, but no problems. Lots of blue-vested helpers
around, but they didn't seem to be needed.
The name used on the bottom of the poster that you have shown close up
is interesting,
The South Western Railway.
Yes, I spotted that too. I suppose it's to cover the fact that it includes
both the TOC and NR. But it's handy that it isn't linked to a specific TOC.
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
Is that South West Trains having a final dig that they consider
themselves to be the natural operator or has someone sensibly used a
name that covers both them and the new incumbent.
I assume the latter; of course, the new First MTR TOC name may well include
the words, "South Western Railway"…
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
presumably South West Trains won't pull the plug on their web site on
the 20th and properly aren't allowed to do so by various agreements.
Must be tempting just to put up a page that says "Tough , ask the new
lot , we've gone.
Yes, it must be hard for Stagecoach to work so hard on this project in its
final few days in charge of the longest-running original franchise.
Recliner
2017-08-13 15:04:28 UTC
Post by Recliner
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157684802951344>
- It was moderately busy, but no problems. Lots of blue-vested helpers
around, but they didn't seem to be needed.
The name used on the bottom of the poster that you have shown close up
is interesting,
The South Western Railway.
Is that South West Trains having a final dig that they consider
themselves to be the natural operator or has someone sensibly used a
name that covers both them and the new incumbent.
presumably South West Trains won't pull the plug on their web site on
the 20th and properly aren't allowed to do so by various agreements.
Must be tempting just to put up a page that says "Tough , ask the new
lot , we've gone.
I came across this time-lapse video (it's worth selecting HD quality):

Recliner
2017-08-14 14:19:51 UTC
Post by Recliner
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157684802951344>
- It was moderately busy, but no problems. Lots of blue-vested helpers
around, but they didn't seem to be needed.
The name used on the bottom of the poster that you have shown close up
is interesting,
The South Western Railway.
Reading the latest issue of Rail, that does indeed appear to be the
name of the new TOC.

It also says they'll launch their new Web site as soon as they take
over, but won't re-brand the trains till after the Waterloo disruption
is over. They obviously don't want pictures of their new livery
illustrating articles about 'chaos at Waterloo'.
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-08-14 18:19:24 UTC
On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 15:19:51 +0100, Recliner
Post by Recliner
Post by d***@yahoo.co.uk
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 14:12:55 +0100, Recliner
The name used on the bottom of the poster that you have shown close up
is interesting,
The South Western Railway.
Reading the latest issue of Rail, that does indeed appear to be the
name of the new TOC.
Fairly sure that was the name used by the transport correspondent on
BBC South last week as well.

For the average person rather than enthusiasts it is so close to the
old one that many occasional travelers will probably not realise three
has been a change, after all you could almost expect South West Trains
to run on a South western Railway.

G.Harman