Old Oak Common Bombardier Crossrail depot opens
2018-05-16 08:17:55 UTC
<http://www.metro-report.com/news/news-by-region/europe/single-view/view/old-oak-common-elizabeth-line-depot-opens.html>
Graeme Wall
2018-05-16 08:53:50 UTC
<http://www.metro-report.com/news/news-by-region/europe/single-view/view/old-oak-common-elizabeth-line-depot-opens.html>
What's an "energy pile"? Nuclear reactor perhaps?
2018-05-16 16:31:53 UTC
<http://www.metro-report.com/news/news-by-region/europe/single-view/view/old-oak-common-elizabeth-line-depot-opens.html>
What's an "energy pile"?  Nuclear reactor perhaps?
Not if they followed the plans. They were only supposed to stick
geothermal loops in the construction piles (as well as in umpteen
boreholes) for heating/cooling.

I have no idea if "energy piles" are good value for money or a gimmick.
Certes
2018-05-16 16:40:51 UTC
What's an "energy pile"?  Nuclear reactor perhaps?
Not if they followed the plans.  They were only supposed to stick
geothermal loops  in the construction piles (as well as in umpteen
boreholes) for heating/cooling.
Now I have visions of Michael Caine beside a nuclear accident, shouting
"You're only supposed to stick the bloody loops in".
Robin
2018-05-16 17:09:24 UTC
Post by Certes
What's an "energy pile"?  Nuclear reactor perhaps?
Not if they followed the plans.  They were only supposed to stick
geothermal loops  in the construction piles (as well as in umpteen
boreholes) for heating/cooling.
Now I have visions of Michael Caine beside a nuclear accident, shouting
"You're only supposed to stick the bloody loops in".
I know little things please little minds, but I'm glad someone got it :)
2018-05-16 10:10:56 UTC
<http://www.metro-report.com/news/news-by-region/europe/single-view/view/old-oak-common-elizabeth-line-depot-opens.html>
I’m intrigued by what actually changed on May 10th, thr date it ‘opened’.

AFAICT there are still large areas fenced off for construction work; test
trains have been running in and out regularly for several months and
continue to do so; in the last few weeks (before it ‘opened’) I counted
seven sets stabled there; and the signalling alterations to allow use of
the wash plant and more than one line on/off have just been put back
(probably only slightly, and this is not an unusual occurrence).

So what actually happened on May 10th? Somebody cut a ribbon?