Traffic in Holborn last night
2017-01-13 10:37:14 UTC
I arrived at Liverpool St at 17:50 last night on my way to an event in
Russell Square. Although it was pretty unpleasant in the rain I cycled as I
usually do, mostly along Newgate Street/High Holborn. The traffic was really
weird though.

I turned from Old Broad St into London Wall to find total gridlock. Not a
huge problem on a bike but quite a bit slower than usual. It was the same
all the way to the back of St Paul's where all the traffic was turning left
into Cheapside. I cycled along almost the whole way to Kingsway with no cars
on the road at all!

I know there was a taxi drivers' demo blockading the Bank intersection but
why no car traffic in Holborn?

When I went back about 20:15 traffic seemed entirely normal.
eastender
2017-01-13 20:55:00 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
I arrived at Liverpool St at 17:50 last night on my way to an event in
Russell Square. Although it was pretty unpleasant in the rain I cycled as I
usually do, mostly along Newgate Street/High Holborn. The traffic was really
weird though.
I turned from Old Broad St into London Wall to find total gridlock. Not a
huge problem on a bike but quite a bit slower than usual. It was the same
all the way to the back of St Paul's where all the traffic was turning left
into Cheapside. I cycled along almost the whole way to Kingsway with no cars
on the road at all!
I know there was a taxi drivers' demo blockading the Bank intersection but
why no car traffic in Holborn?
When I went back about 20:15 traffic seemed entirely normal.
I don't know about yesterday but traffic very strange today - I think
people were staying at home as I did the school run (Dalston to East
India) in record time. Friday afternoon, especially around the
Blackwall Tunnel, is usually a nightmare but today the roads were
clear.
r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-01-14 00:30:32 UTC
Post by eastender
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
[...]
Was there any snow (or rain for that matter) in Central London today? We had
a bit of snow mid-morning in Cambridge but it didn't settle and the sun made
quick work of the lying water.
2017-01-14 00:56:08 UTC
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by eastender
Post by r***@cix.compulink.co.uk
[...]
Light snow in the suburbs, but little settled. I don't think there was
enough to cause traffic problems in central London.