Crossrail Railway Systems: End to End journey through Elizabeth line tunnels
2018-02-17 19:50:11 UTC

I hadn't actually realised that the railway was on the surface between
Connaught Tunnel and North Woolwich. Amazing that they didn't build a
station here, with a travelator under Holt Road to the airport. This
must the be nearest that a railway has ever opened to an airport without
making any attempt to serve it.

There don't seem to be many ways for pedestrians to cross the railway
here either. The businesses in Factory Road are a stone's throw from the
houses around Holt Road and are not much further from the airport but
they almost have a shorter walking route under the Thames to Woolwich
than they do under Crossrail to the houses.
Robin9
2018-02-18 10:30:58 UTC
Thanks for that YouTube link. I'll WiFi it to my big screen tonight

2018-02-21 18:40:25 UTC
LCY is meant to be a
local airport for east London,
Blimey. It's an airport. As a Londoner, I go to Gatwick, Heathrow,
Luton, Stansted or City, depending on where my flight is going from.
I've never chosen an airport and then seen where I can fly to.
This is a local airport for local people, there's nothing here for people
like you.
and the DLR already provides good local
connectivity, including multiple stops in the Canary Wharf area. It also
has good links with the Jubilee line, and slightly less good with the
Central and District/H&C lines.
The only stations with both DLR to LCY and Crossrail will be Stratford
(a bit out of the way from Central London) and Woolwich/Arsenal (a bit
of a walk in not the best of areas to be carting luggage).
Canary Wharf is only a short walk between the stations.
No direct trains to LCY.

Incidentally, I'm baffled by the scale of construction at Stepney Green.
I assumed that the finished site would have either nothing or a little
fan shaft emergency escape jobbie. But there seem to be at least three
buildings more than 30 metres long.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5176061,-0.0442512,19z/data=!3m1!1e3?force=lite

This site gives multiple views of the mid-construction situation with a
long north-south hole in 7 segments. WTF!

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/articles/stepney-city-farm-ficially-opens-new-buildings-following-major-crossrail-funded-improvements-1
tim...
2018-02-22 08:37:23 UTC
[...]
Missing the comma out has given that statement the exact opposite to the one
intended (I presume)

I'm surprised there are no replies on this at all.
Basil Jet
2018-02-21 19:31:41 UTC
LCY is meant to be a
local airport for east London,
Blimey. It's an airport. As a Londoner, I go to Gatwick, Heathrow,
Luton, Stansted or City, depending on where my flight is going from.
I've never chosen an airport and then seen where I can fly to.
This is a local airport for local people, there's nothing here for people
like you.
and the DLR already provides good local
connectivity, including multiple stops in the Canary Wharf area. It also
has good links with the Jubilee line, and slightly less good with the
Central and District/H&C lines.
The only stations with both DLR to LCY and Crossrail will be Stratford
(a bit out of the way from Central London) and Woolwich/Arsenal (a bit
of a walk in not the best of areas to be carting luggage).
Canary Wharf is only a short walk between the stations.
There are no through DLR trains between LCY and Canary Wharf. Woolwich
Arsenal trains run to Bank and to Stratford International (via West Ham)
That scuppers that plan then!
If I ever needed to go to/from LCY, then, I'm guessing it'd be via
Stratford or walk Moorgate-Bank (or make two changes, which tbh I'm
generally more than happy to do in other cities).
I've just realised that the distance from Poplar DLR (which does have
direct trains to LCY) to the centre of Crossrail Canary Wharf is less
than the length of a Crossrail platform, but I'm not sure how good the
walking route is these days. Is that hexagonal hole in the side of the
Crossrail station supposed to take an extension of the footbridge from
Poplar?

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5071389,-0.0180089,3a,58.5y,184.29h,84.07t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCAoSLEFGMVFpcE1oSnRRZ2oxSHRrejBwMFg3ekhIb1p4di1YUXVFSmRvWFF1dmha!2e0?force=lite

If so, that would be a fine route from Central London to LCY. But the
tube maps released so far show Poplar as being TWO stops on the DLR away
from Canary Wharf.

David Walters
2018-02-21 21:23:18 UTC
I've just realised that the distance from Poplar DLR (which does have
direct trains to LCY) to the centre of Crossrail Canary Wharf is less
than the length of a Crossrail platform, but I'm not sure how good the
walking route is these days. Is that hexagonal hole in the side of the
Crossrail station supposed to take an extension of the footbridge from
Poplar?
There is a two level bridge across the water in that hole. At the moment
the top level is being used by station construction/fit out workers for
access but the lower ground level is open to the public.

However North Quay remains a work site with some plans for towers that
aren't going to be started for a while which means you have to walk
between the Crossrail station and Poplar either under West India Quay
station or via the bridge next to Billingsgate Market.

In 5-10 years I expect it will be a reasonable connection with some
shops to walk past.

https://group.canarywharf.com/planning/north-quay/
Recliner
2018-02-21 23:41:33 UTC
[...]
Yes, I think so, but it would be much easier to change to a direct DLR or
Jubilee line train to Canary Wharf. The DLR also has several other closely
spaced stations in the area: West India, South and Heron Quays. So it's
easy to get close to the various sites in the Canary Wharf estate.

Here's a picture I took from Poplar DLR station of the new Crossrail
station a couple of years ago:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/22751742437/in/album-72157660672783597/lightbox/>
Post by Basil Jet
If so, that would be a fine route from Central London to LCY. But the
tube maps released so far show Poplar as being TWO stops on the DLR away
from Canary Wharf.
What do you mean by 'released so far'? Those lines and stations have been
open for years.
Post by Basil Jet
https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2706431.main_image.jpg?strip=all
Yes. The DLR stations are closely spaced in that area.
Basil Jet
2018-02-22 04:04:18 UTC
I've just realised that the distance from Poplar DLR (which does have
direct trains to LCY) to the centre of Crossrail Canary Wharf is less
than the length of a Crossrail platform, but I'm not sure how good the
walking route is these days. Is that hexagonal hole in the side of the
Crossrail station supposed to take an extension of the footbridge from
Poplar?
Yes, I think so, but it would be much easier to change to a direct DLR or
Jubilee line train to Canary Wharf.
I don't understand that at all. What journey are you talking about?
Post by Basil Jet
If so, that would be a fine route from Central London to LCY. But the
tube maps released so far show Poplar as being TWO stops on the DLR away
from Canary Wharf.
What do you mean by 'released so far'? Those lines and stations have been
open for years.
I'm suggesting that the map could show the Crossrail station as
interchanging with Poplar DLR.
Recliner
2018-02-22 08:52:42 UTC
I've just realised that the distance from Poplar DLR (which does have
direct trains to LCY) to the centre of Crossrail Canary Wharf is less
than the length of a Crossrail platform, but I'm not sure how good the
walking route is these days. Is that hexagonal hole in the side of the
Crossrail station supposed to take an extension of the footbridge from
Poplar?
Yes, I think so, but it would be much easier to change to a direct DLR or
Jubilee line train to Canary Wharf.
I don't understand that at all. What journey are you talking about?
LCY to the several DLR stations in the Canary Wharf estate. Note that the
Crossrail CW station is on the edge of the estate, with the DLR stops being
closer to most of the buildings.
Post by Basil Jet
If so, that would be a fine route from Central London to LCY. But the
tube maps released so far show Poplar as being TWO stops on the DLR away
from Canary Wharf.
What do you mean by 'released so far'? Those lines and stations have been
open for years.
I'm suggesting that the map could show the Crossrail station as
interchanging with Poplar DLR.
Well, it doesn't yet, and it may be a while before it does. It would
probably be wrong to show the link as an interchange, anyway, as it's much
further than the actual interchange at Canary Wharf. Just because a route's
walkable doesn't make it an interchange.
Basil Jet
2018-02-22 14:39:54 UTC
I'm suggesting that the map could show the Crossrail station as
interchanging with Poplar DLR.
Well, it doesn't yet, and it may be a while before it does. It would
probably be wrong to show the link as an interchange, anyway, as it's much
further than the actual interchange at Canary Wharf. Just because a route's
walkable doesn't make it an interchange.
Archway to Upper Holloway is shown as an interchange (or outerchange) on
the latest tube map, and that's further than the circuitous walk route
available now from Poplar to Crossrail, and much longer than the future
directish route.
Recliner
2018-02-22 16:17:57 UTC
I'm suggesting that the map could show the Crossrail station as
interchanging with Poplar DLR.
Well, it doesn't yet, and it may be a while before it does. It would
probably be wrong to show the link as an interchange, anyway, as it's much
further than the actual interchange at Canary Wharf. Just because a route's
walkable doesn't make it an interchange.
Archway to Upper Holloway is shown as an interchange (or outerchange) on
the latest tube map, and that's further than the circuitous walk route
available now from Poplar to Crossrail, and much longer than the future
directish route.
Yes, but that's the best available link between the Northern line and the
GOBLIN. It's not good, but it's better than nothing. The situation at
Canary Wharf is entirely different, as there's already a good interchange
between the DLR and Crossrail. Why confuse the situation and clutter up the
map showing a less good walking route? By that logic, you could add dozens
of second-best links between already well-connected lines to really ruin
the increasingly busy map.
Basil Jet
2018-02-22 16:57:19 UTC
[...]
That makes sense for the tube map. But what about the in-car line guide
on the Crossrail trains? Would "Walk to Poplar for DLR to City Airport"
not make sense on the Canary Wharf blob there?
Recliner
No: "change here for the DLR" would be the right message.
Anna Noyd-Dryver
2018-02-22 20:32:02 UTC
[...]
Like the very useful second map on this page, you mean? ;)

<http://london-underground.blogspot.co.uk/2007/02/walkers-tube-map.html?m=1>

Incidentally most google results for any obvious search terms trying to
find that map, come up with TfL's far less useful map of walking times
*along* each line.

It's a very easy change at Poplar.
Recliner
2018-02-26 07:55:08 UTC
http://youtu.be/d-RzWLxPQCs
I hadn't actually realised that the railway was on the surface between
Connaught Tunnel and North Woolwich. Amazing that they didn't build a
station here, with a travelator under Holt Road to the airport. This
must the be nearest that a railway has ever opened to an airport without
making any attempt to serve it.
There don't seem to be many ways for pedestrians to cross the railway
here either. The businesses in Factory Road are a stone's throw from the
houses around Holt Road and are not much further from the airport but
they almost have a shorter walking route under the Thames to Woolwich
than they do under Crossrail to the houses.
You might be interested in a report in today's Times:

Extract:

It is the issue that has had London City airport spotters perplexed for
years: why is it not connected to the £15 billion Crossrail line?

It has now emerged that the airport is about to embark on a year-long
feasibility study to make the case for adding a station to the route. The
east-west line takes a 26-mile subterranean route through the capital and
passes just 550ft from the airport terminal.

Robert Sinclair, chief executive of the airport, said the project would
examine the engineering case for a Crossrail station and present options to
its bosses. The study, which has yet to be commissioned, is expected to
take between one and two years.

It has previously been suggested that such a station would cost about £50
million. It would add two and a half minutes to journey times from one end
of the line to the other. Mr Sinclair said: “We understand that that won’t
happen overnight but we see a Crossrail station as a major strategic
imperative.”

From:
<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/city-airport-to-broaden-its-horizons-as-tourist-hub-309g3nfx7?shareToken=2df295a0aa11a527a104da976cdd6a7f>
Offramp
2018-02-26 08:05:31 UTC
I am amazed that the Crossrail route is still moot. I thought it had all been settled.

It does seem rather a poke in the eye that the line passes just 550ft from the airport, as if Crossrail didn't know it was there. And City Airport is going to take TWO years making a feasibility study!
Recliner
2018-02-26 08:14:32 UTC
I am amazed that the Crossrail route is still moot. I thought it had all been settled.
It does seem rather a poke in the eye that the line passes just 550ft
from the airport, as if Crossrail didn't know it was there. And City
Airport is going to take TWO years making a feasibility study!
The route is settled, but LCY would like a station to be added. I don't
think there would be a diversion to run closer to the airport terminal. It
does seem odd that this is coming up just months before the line finally
opens. The issue mudt have been considered many years ago, and the option
dismissed. After all, the equivalent discussions and decisions about
additional, privately-funded Crossrail stations at Canary Wharf and
Woolwich took place many years ago:

https://www.1londonblog.uk/2018/01/31/crossrail-woolwich/
Basil Jet
2018-02-26 08:15:50 UTC
I am amazed that the Crossrail route is still moot. I thought it had all been settled.
It does seem rather a poke in the eye that the line passes just 550ft from the airport, as if Crossrail didn't know it was there. And City Airport is going to take TWO years making a feasibility study!
550 ft from the *main terminal*. It passes under the taxiway by the
private jet terminal.
Graeme Wall
2018-02-26 08:17:43 UTC
http://youtu.be/d-RzWLxPQCs
[...]
And it never occurred to them before?
Mark Goodge
2018-02-26 09:12:43 UTC
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 08:17:43 +0000, Graeme Wall
[...]
If it's got as far as officially being announced now, then it occurred
to them a very long time ago. For obvious reasons, they wouldn't have
wanted to spend any money on it until they were certain that Crossrail
itself was going to open on time and the prospect of an airport
station was realistic.

Also, this is probably linked to projected growth in usage,
particularly in the leisure market. Existing passenger numbers are
catered for well enough by the DLR and road links (especially given
that a lot of business travellers will be starting from their offices
rather than home). But a Crossrail station will make it much more
easily accessible for travellers starting from outside London.

Mark
Basil Jet
Thanking you kindly.
Offramp
2018-02-26 12:58:07 UTC
It's as if they thought, "Let's wait until a WWII bomb is found nearby, THEN kick up a fuss."