Northumberland Park and Stratford - Angel Road services
2017-09-25 01:17:18 UTC
Northumberland Park level crossing has been permanently closed to road
vehicles since July.

I presume work on the third track has been going on, but I haven't seen
anything specific yet.
Charles Ellson
2017-09-25 03:02:37 UTC
Northumberland Park level crossing has been permanently closed to road
vehicles since July.
Only one objection (which was withdrawn).
http://www.twansport.co.uk/infraprojects/level-crossing-closure-order/
anything specific yet.
Robin9
2017-09-25 09:01:53 UTC
I used that crossing frequently. I'm surprised there were not
more objections. It was a very busy and essential route

Jim Chisholm
2017-09-25 12:27:02 UTC
Post by Robin9
I used that crossing frequently. I'm surprised there were not
more objections. It was a very busy and essential route.
So how many more times do train passengers cross the crossing than motor
vehicle drivers?

Work on this section (STAR) has been progressing slowly for ages. Last
time I went past (on a train...) most of equipment boxes had been
removed and there are signs of new platforms and nearer T'Hale there
clearly work on creating space for track sub-base. S of T'Hale there
seemed to be piling kit for bridge over R Lea (or Lee)
Basil Jet
2017-09-25 13:26:45 UTC
Post by Jim Chisholm
Post by Robin9
I used that crossing frequently. I'm surprised there were not
more objections. It was a very busy and essential route.
With the Lea acting as a barrier, the level crossing at Northumberland
Park didn't really lead anywhere much. I don't know enough about traffic
levels on Leaside Road to know if the closure is a daily problem. I do
know it won't help when the North Circular is closed in the rush hour
because of a crash, which happens once a month or so.

My dream of a new road from Billet Road to Lansdowne Road is still on
no-one's radar. Hang on, the houses in Shelbourne Road opposite
Lansdowne road appear to be newer than the rest of the street... was a
gap left for 100 years for a new Lea bridge that never got built?
http://www.bombsight.org/#16/51.5991/-0.0569 suggests that the gap was
not the work of Hitlercorp's urban regeneration scheme.
Post by Jim Chisholm
So how many more times do train passengers cross the crossing than motor
vehicle drivers?
No-one was suggesting that it should be closed to train passengers.
Post by Jim Chisholm
Work on this section (STAR) has been progressing slowly for ages. Last
time I went past (on a train...) most of equipment boxes had been
removed and there are signs of new platforms and nearer T'Hale there
clearly work on creating space for track sub-base. S of T'Hale there
seemed to be piling kit for bridge over R Lea (or Lee)
Signs of new platforms at which station?

Am I imagining things, or are most of the Victoria Line depot buildings
long enough for 6 or 7 carriages, with one part long enough for about 13
carriages?
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2017-09-25 20:01:39 UTC
Why will the extra track only give two additional trains per hour?
jhk
Paul Corfield
2017-09-26 21:53:00 UTC
Post by Jarle Hammen Knudsen
Why will the extra track only give two additional trains per hour?
--
jhk
Largely because it is only one extra track at this point in time. Although the alignment is wide enough to take two extra tracks there is not the money to actually build two tracks and extra platforms. Therefore the service will have to work on the basis of "one engine in steam" on the new single track section from near Coppermill Junction through T Hale & N Park to the relocated Angel Rd (Meridian Water) station and back again. This will almost certainly mean trains will meet at or very near to the new junction where the third track joins the twin track railway down to Stratford after the tracks have diverged with the main line going to Clapton and Liv St.

There have been several iterations of different track layouts during the early design stage. These were in public documents but the new Mayoralty scrapped the old committee and meeting structure that governed funding of the STAR project meaning those papers are no longer in the public domain. As with every rail scheme costs have risen against a fixed budget which means the scope has been whittled down to the bare minimum. The only minor saving grace is that the rebuilt stations at T Hale, N Park and Meridian Water are all being designed so a 4th track and platform face can be added relatively easily and overbridges etc are all wide enough. Plans for all three stns have been on council planning permission websites hence how I've seen what they will look like.

I took a few snaps at T Hale recently showing the clearance works and equipment relocation. At some point I hope to snap at other locations. As someone else said the work has been very slow so far but I think a lot of it has involved clearance and relocation works which should mean making the track formation, laying tracks and fitting signals / overhead wires could be done quite quickly. South of T Hale quite a number of foundation piles for new electrification masts are already in place. It's the station works that will be complex. T Hale involves taking the eastern side off the NR building, a new pedestrian bridge, a new bridge / lifts / escalators within the paid area and obviously a wider roof and new side to the building to encompass the new track formation and extra platform face. London underground, meanwhile, are rebuilding the ticket hall and western side of the station.

Photos --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N02/albums/72157686274374050
--
Paul C
via Google