Free ferry at Tower Bridge
2016-12-03 01:13:33 UTC
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar/2016/12/04/catch-the-tower-bridge-ferry-service-114474
h***@yahoo.co.uk
2016-12-03 04:49:39 UTC
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar/2016/12/04/catch-the-tower-bridge-ferry-service-114474
Very cool, but I don't think that this will qualify as the world's
shortest ferry journey.

I believe that honour remains in Toronto.

Having said that, I have also seen a very small ferry on the Weser in
Bremen.
Basil Jet
2016-12-03 07:07:35 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by Basil Jet
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar/2016/12/04/catch-the-tower-bridge-ferry-service-114474
Very cool, but I don't think that this will qualify as the world's
shortest ferry journey.
I believe that honour remains in Toronto.
So the internet claims, but the chain ferry at Reedham (Norfolk) is
clearly shorter.
Basil Jet
2016-12-03 07:17:30 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by Basil Jet
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar/2016/12/04/catch-the-tower-bridge-ferry-service-114474
Very cool, but I don't think that this will qualify as the world's
shortest ferry journey.
I believe that honour remains in Toronto.
So the internet claims, but the chain ferry at Reedham (Norfolk) is
clearly shorter.
I forgot to say that there can't be many ferries shorter than the
hand-wound chain ferry to Trowlock Island in Hampton Wick.

Recliner
2016-12-05 10:15:27 UTC
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar/2016/12/04/catch-the-tower-bridge-ferry-service-114474
And the opportunity is now over:
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2016/12/04/catching-the-tower-bridge-free-ferry/
tim...
2016-12-05 11:21:55 UTC
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar/2016/12/04/catch-the-tower-bridge-ferry-service-114474
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2016/12/04/catching-the-tower-bridge-free-ferry/
so what's the explanation for it not happening on other weekends

2016-12-05 12:50:42 UTC
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar/2016/12/04/catch-the-tower-bridge-ferry-service-114474
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2016/12/04/catching-the-tower-bridge-free-ferry/
so what's the explanation for it not happening on other weekends
Dunno. Maybe they didn't have to lift the bridge on those days after
all?
Offramp
2016-12-05 16:11:46 UTC
Whenever ferries are mentioned I think of the greatest of them all, the Pill ferry. Immortalised by the Wurzels thuslywise :

When the nights are dark and stormy
And the bitter north wind blows
Cross the fields from Shirehampton
Where the muddy Avon flows
Where the Pillites gaily ride
Over on the ferry from the other side
The boat starts swingin, you'll hear them singin'
Float in on the tide!

Chorus: Pill, Pill, I love thee still
Even though I'm leaving
Pill, Pill, I love thee still
When the ferry boat starts heavin
When the rain down pours, the thunder roars
The lightnin flashes bright
I'll be better by far in The Duke or The Star
Than on the Old Pill Ferry tonight

Take me where it's warm and cosy
Down there with those happy boys
Where the cheeks are red and rosy
Cobblers, hobblers, hobbledehoys
When the stinging winter sleet
Creeps along the riverside and chills your feet
For miles around, you'll hear this sound
Comin' down Pill Street

Chorus

On the seven seas I've wandered
Back to Pill I shall return
When the hard earned cash is squandered
For the local girls I yearn
Captain, Captain, carry me
Steamer of the channel past Portbury
Head her south through Avonmouth
Happy I shall be.
d***@yahoo.co.uk
2016-12-05 16:43:18 UTC
On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 08:11:46 -0800 (PST), Offramp
Are you from there?
The place used to have a bit of a reputation for being a little
insular.

I've known two people who have lived there , one many years after he
left the place and had spent a lifetime at sea as a Merchant Navy
Officer which was perfectly normal for someone who grew up in the
place.
The other I didn't know quite as well but moved there and wasn't able
to fit in at all , ISTR he ended up on some TV program about
neighbours at war or something similar and this was years before
channel 5 etc made a habit of such programs .

G.Harman
burfordTjustice
2016-12-06 12:20:52 UTC
On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 01:13:33 +0000