Blazing cycle lights
2017-01-18 10:39:51 UTC
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lighting-the-way-ahead-in-a-green-blaze-of-glory-wsj3zmcsw?shareToken=68b0f8ea451b09f937d21c37c995936c
s***@potato.field
2017-01-18 11:34:50 UTC
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 10:39:51 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Recliner
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lighting-the-way-ahead-in-a-green-blaze-of-gl
ry-wsj3zmcsw?shareToken=68b0f8ea451b09f937d21c37c995936c
Seems like a good idea until you think it through and realise drivers don't
generally look at the road surface and it'll be completely invisible in
mirrors. Might be useful for pedestrians crossing but other than that it
I suspect its a waste of money.
Spud
Roland Perry
Presumably, as they're being fitted to Sadiq's Cycles.
Tim Woodall
2017-01-19 17:16:26 UTC
Post by Recliner
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lighting-the-way-ahead-in-a-green-blaze-of-gl
ry-wsj3zmcsw?shareToken=68b0f8ea451b09f937d21c37c995936c
Seems like a good idea until you think it through and realise drivers don't
generally look at the road surface and it'll be completely invisible in
mirrors. Might be useful for pedestrians crossing but other than that it
I suspect its a waste of money.
I cannot imagine that drivers would see them but they're good for
pedestrians - you see the light coming past you before the cyclist so
don't get the same shock and don't risk accidentally stepping into them.
Doesn't work in the daylight though.

Tim.
Roland Perry
2017-01-18 11:38:11 UTC
In message
<767176245.506428739.891732.recliner.ng-***@news.eternal-septe
mber.org>, at 10:39:51 on Wed, 18 Jan 2017, Recliner
Post by Recliner
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lighting-the-way-ahead-in-a-green-blaz
e-of-glory-wsj3zmcsw?shareToken=68b0f8ea451b09f937d21c37c995936c
"we tend to see cycling as a sport, people getting into their lycra and
doing a time trial at the weekend. "

She's never been to Cambridge, then.
Theo
2017-01-18 13:07:28 UTC
"[You don’t see electric bikes much in the UK at the moment, probably because]
we tend to see cycling as a sport, people getting into their lycra and
doing a time trial at the weekend. "
She's never been to Cambridge, then.
[completed the quote]

She has a point about electric bikes though. In China, they're everywhere.
You can buy them in the supermarket for a few hundred dollars. Here,
they're sold by bijou little bike shops for near a thousand pounds. Or two
or three times that if you buy from a brand name or they manage to sell you
an electric mountain bike.

Even in Cambridge there is basically one shop dedicated to (expensive)
electric bikes, and a few of the others have a derisory two-thousand-pound
example. And there's a busy bike hire market, but nobody hired electric
that I could find when I looked recently.

Theo
Roland Perry
2017-01-18 14:04:44 UTC
Post by Theo
"[You don’t see electric bikes much in the UK at the moment, probably because]
we tend to see cycling as a sport, people getting into their lycra and
doing a time trial at the weekend. "
She's never been to Cambridge, then.
[completed the quote]
She has a point about electric bikes though. In China, they're everywhere.
You can buy them in the supermarket for a few hundred dollars. Here,
they're sold by bijou little bike shops for near a thousand pounds. Or two
or three times that if you buy from a brand name or they manage to sell you
an electric mountain bike.
£5k from the shop below.
Post by Theo
Even in Cambridge there is basically one shop
Rutland Cycling?
Post by Theo
dedicated to (expensive) electric bikes,
Most are about £1k-£2k.
Post by Theo
and a few of the others have a derisory two-thousand-pound
example. And there's a busy bike hire market, but nobody hired electric
that I could find when I looked recently.
Peter Dawe is claiming he'll be selling electric bikes soon. I must pop
round and see if he has a demonstrator. "About £500 each" he says.
Theo
2017-01-18 19:53:40 UTC
No, https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Theo
dedicated to (expensive) electric bikes,
Most are about £1k-£2k.
Meanwhile, a down-to-earth retailer is about half to a third of that:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sirocco
Post by Roland Perry
Peter Dawe is claiming he'll be selling electric bikes soon. I must pop
round and see if he has a demonstrator. "About £500 each" he says.
Sounds about right. A conversion kit in China is about $300.
https://bmsbattery.com/

Theo
Roland Perry
2017-01-18 20:58:59 UTC
Post by Theo
Post by Theo
Even in Cambridge there is basically one shop
Rutland Cycling?
No, https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/
So now there are two.
s***@potato.field
2017-01-18 15:09:26 UTC
On 18 Jan 2017 13:07:28 +0000 (GMT)
Post by Theo
Even in Cambridge there is basically one shop dedicated to (expensive)
electric bikes, and a few of the others have a derisory two-thousand-pound
example. And there's a busy bike hire market, but nobody hired electric
Given some mugs pay the price of a small car for a normal bike you can hardly
blame them. In the bike world there seems to be one born every nanosecond.
Spud
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2017-01-18 15:49:37 UTC
On 18 Jan 2017 13:07:28 +0000 (GMT), Theo
Post by Theo
She has a point about electric bikes though. In China, they're everywhere.
You can buy them in the supermarket for a few hundred dollars. Here,
they're sold by bijou little bike shops for near a thousand pounds. Or two
or three times that if you buy from a brand name or they manage to sell you
an electric mountain bike.
Even in Cambridge there is basically one shop dedicated to (expensive)
electric bikes, and a few of the others have a derisory two-thousand-pound
example. And there's a busy bike hire market, but nobody hired electric
that I could find when I looked recently.
Electric bikes have become quite common here in Norway. Some import
cheap kits from China and retrofit their existing bike.
jhk
John Leach
2017-01-22 11:47:02 UTC
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lighting-the-way-ahead-in-a-green-blaze-of-glory-wsj3zmcsw?shareToken=68b0f8ea451b09f937d21c37c995936c
I have had an electric bicycle for over a year now.
I also have a "laser" beam rear light, I only use the LED function.
My bicycle cost under £1000 and I bought it from a local store.
Examples here.

http://kudoscycles.com/

John