95 stock refurb
s***@potato.field
2017-05-25 08:45:14 UTC
A jubilee train I was on this morning had had an interior refresh. New
flooring, grey grab handles and a deep clean by the looks of it. Is this
going to be done to the whole fleet as a mid life refurb or is it just on
an ad hoc basis?
Spud
Offramp
2017-05-25 18:13:27 UTC
Tube trains of the '95 generation have been very good. The Northern Line ones still look new, but I suppose any train that's over 20 years old needs a refurb.
Recliner
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1995_Stock#2013_refresh
Richard J.
2017-05-25 23:53:43 UTC
Post by s***@potato.field
A jubilee train I was on this morning had had an interior refresh. New
flooring, grey grab handles and a deep clean by the looks of it. Is this
going to be done to the whole fleet as a mid life refurb or is it just on
an ad hoc basis?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1995_Stock#2013_refresh
The Jubilee line runs 96 stock, not 95 stock. Refurbishment of 96 stock started this year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1996_Stock#Refurbishment
--
Richard J.
2017-05-26 04:51:33 UTC
Post by Richard J.
Post by Recliner
Post by s***@potato.field
A jubilee train I was on this morning had had an interior refresh. New
flooring, grey grab handles and a deep clean by the looks of it. Is this
going to be done to the whole fleet as a mid life refurb or is it just on
an ad hoc basis?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1995_Stock#2013_refresh
The Jubilee line runs 96 stock, not 95 stock. Refurbishment of 96 stock started this year.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1996_Stock#Refurbishment
Yes, you're quite right, I should have answered the question Spud meant to
ask, not the one he did ask. But I wonder why they refurbished the newer 95
stock before the older 96 stock?
s***@potato.field
2017-05-26 08:28:53 UTC
On Fri, 26 May 2017 04:51:33 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Richard J.
Post by Richard J.
Post by Richard J.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1996_Stock#Refurbishment
Yes, you're quite right, I should have answered the question Spud meant to
ask, not the one he did ask. But I wonder why they refurbished the newer 95
stock before the older 96 stock?
Yes, my mistake. I always get the 2 stocks confused. Anyway, it was definately
a jubilee line train and it looked much nicer inside and not just because it
was cleaner.
Spud
Offramp
2017-05-26 15:21:27 UTC
...And I knew what you meant. So I said the 95 generation, meaning around that time.
Clank
2017-05-27 13:25:04 UTC
Post by Richard J.
Post by Recliner
Post by s***@potato.field
A jubilee train I was on this morning had had an interior refresh. New
flooring, grey grab handles and a deep clean by the looks of it. Is this
going to be done to the whole fleet as a mid life refurb or is it just on
an ad hoc basis?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1995_Stock#2013_refresh
The Jubilee line runs 96 stock, not 95 stock. Refurbishment of 96 stock started this year.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1996_Stock#Refurbishment
What happened to the vogue for grab rails and the like to be
high-visibility?

It looks much nicer now (and I always liked the idea of them being in line
colour better), but won't the "think of the blind goatherders" brigade be
up in arms?
Post by Richard J.
--
Richard J.
Richard J.
2017-05-27 14:57:09 UTC
Post by Clank
Post by Richard J.
Post by Recliner
Post by s***@potato.field
A jubilee train I was on this morning had had an interior refresh. New
flooring, grey grab handles and a deep clean by the looks of it. Is this
going to be done to the whole fleet as a mid life refurb or is it just on
an ad hoc basis?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1995_Stock#2013_refresh
The Jubilee line runs 96 stock, not 95 stock. Refurbishment of 96 stock started this year.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_1996_Stock#Refurbishment
What happened to the vogue for grab rails and the like to be
high-visibility?
It looks much nicer now (and I always liked the idea of them being in line
colour better), but won't the "think of the blind goatherders" brigade be
up in arms?
And with good reason if the grey is the same colour as the grab rails above the doors in 92 stock on the Central Line. All the other rails on that stock are red, and I wondered why there was no grab rail for people standing
by the middle of the doors. Then I realised that there was indeed a rail above my head, carefully camouflaged in light grey against an off-white background.
Richard J.
Jarle Hammen Knudsen
2017-05-28 13:57:08 UTC
On Sat, 27 May 2017 13:25:04 -0000 (UTC), Clank
Post by Clank
What happened to the vogue for grab rails and the like to be
high-visibility?
It looks much nicer now (and I always liked the idea of them being in line
colour better), but won't the "think of the blind goatherders" brigade be
up in arms?
Why should colour matter to the blind?
jhk
Recliner
2017-05-28 15:40:29 UTC
Post by Clank
What happened to the vogue for grab rails and the like to be
high-visibility?
It looks much nicer now (and I always liked the idea of them being in line
colour better), but won't the "think of the blind goatherders" brigade be
up in arms?
Why should colour matter to the blind?
Most 'blind' people are actually severely impaired, but with some limited
vision. Such people can make out some high contrast objects, such as red
doors and brightly coloured grab rails.

<http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Visual-impairment/Pages/Introduction.aspx#Registering-as-blind>

Note that the number of totally blind people is quite low, and I wonder how
many of them are brave enough to travel alone on public transport.