Piss up, brewery? Not on LUs CV.
s***@potato.field
2017-06-23 08:48:13 UTC
You'd have thought by now that LU would have got its procedures for a signal
failure down to a tee. Instead we get 15 min delays on the jubilee line.
Just how hard is it to drive a train on manual through a section with
presumably a faulty ATO transmitter? And more to the point why does it cause
such delays?
Spud
Steve Lewis
2017-06-23 11:51:32 UTC
Without ATO/ATP available, each train has to receive verbal authority to proceed "on sight" as far as an agreed fixed point. The train will be in Restricted Manual mode, which enforces a maximum speed of 9mph. At each station, the "Correct Side Door Enable" won't work, so the driver will have to get our of his/her seat to use the relevant safety override and operate the doors whilst standing in the cab doorway.
s***@potato.field
2017-06-23 12:33:16 UTC
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 04:51:32 -0700 (PDT)
Without ATO/ATP available, each train has to receive verbal authority to pr=
oceed "on sight" as far as an agreed fixed point. The train will be in Rest=
The signalmen know where the trains are so they know when to give authority
and should be able to do it immediately without the train even having to stop.
ricted Manual mode, which enforces a maximum speed of 9mph. At each station=
Why not full manual mode like they used to operate in or has that been
disabled?
, the "Correct Side Door Enable" won't work, so the driver will have to get=
our of his/her seat to use the relevant safety override and operate the do=
ors whilst standing in the cab doorway.
You mean like they used to have to do anyway? :)
Spud
Steve Lewis
2017-06-23 18:16:48 UTC
When ATO/ATP dies, all the trains stop, as they have just stopped receiving the communication tells no them that they can proceed. The trains can't switch back to old style manual, as that needs tripcocks and trainstops (and thus traditional signalling) for safety.
Neil Williams
2017-06-26 06:49:33 UTC
Post by Steve Lewis
When ATO/ATP dies, all the trains stop, as they have just stopped
receiving the communication tells no them that they can proceed. The
trains can't switch back to old style manual, as that needs tripcocks
and trainstops (and thus traditional signalling) for safety.
Not if you operate a drive on sight, low speed backup.

Neil
--
Neil Williams
s***@potato.field
2017-06-26 08:34:47 UTC
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 07:49:33 +0100
Post by Neil Williams
Post by Steve Lewis
When ATO/ATP dies, all the trains stop, as they have just stopped
receiving the communication tells no them that they can proceed. The
trains can't switch back to old style manual, as that needs tripcocks
and trainstops (and thus traditional signalling) for safety.
Not if you operate a drive on sight, low speed backup.
Which is pretty much how trams operate all over the world. Admittedly their
braking distances are shorter, but not by much. I've been on a few tube trains
that have done emergency stops and they can stop PDQ.
Spud
Steve Lewis
2017-06-26 19:47:39 UTC
Good luck getting that past the safety regulators.